PDA

View Full Version : Question about The Crazies remake

Philly_SWAT
11-Jan-2010, 09:34 PM
Does anyone know any info, or have any links to said info, about Romero's involvement (if any) with this? Did GAR have any rights to the original, or like most of his films, do the rights belong to Rubenstein or someone else? Any info at all would be of interest to me.

bassman
11-Jan-2010, 09:42 PM
Does anyone know any info, or have any links to said info, about Romero's involvement (if any) with this? Did GAR have any rights to the original, or like most of his films, do the rights belong to Rubenstein or someone else? Any info at all would be of interest to me.

From what I've seen....Romero has an Executive Producer credit(which is more than he got on Dawn) and of course an original source credit. Other than that, I haven't seen if he was involved on any other levels.

krakenslayer
11-Jan-2010, 10:01 PM

He's getting an executive producer credit which, in this case, means he is allowing them to use his name on promotional materials and, if he was lucky, he was probably invited to visit the set for a couple of hours one day. That's it really.

I suppose it's the studio's way of trying to appear "honest" about their source material, and Romero's way of saying "I don't necessarily hate you for making this".

Not sure who owns the rights though. It was produced by one-shot production co. "Pittsburgh Films" which was partially composed of Latent Image guys, so it's possible Romero hold on to something there. Long-defunct "Cambist Films" handled the releasing, but I don't know how much of a cut, rights wise, they took (whether they were strictly distro-only or if they had any other thumbs in the pie), or who took ownership of their properties when they closed down.

I guess one way to find out would be to upload the entire movie onto YouTube and see who crawls out of the woodwork to make a claim against you. :D

Philly_SWAT
12-Jan-2010, 02:55 AM
I guess one way to find out would be to upload the entire movie onto YouTube and see who crawls out of the woodwork to make a claim against you. :D
Hmm...you say that with a smile, but not a bad idea actually! Maybe not with The Crazies, but I could see that being a good idea for something else in the future.