PDA

View Full Version : Original Creepshow poster on eBay 27x41

DjfunkmasterG
12-Jan-2010, 08:04 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/1982-Original-One-Sheet-27x41-Poster-CREEPSHOW_W0QQitemZ370253481481QQcmdZViewItemQQptZ LH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5634d3c609

bassman
12-Jan-2010, 08:10 PM
"Some soiling on back"? And what kind of soiling might that be, I wonder?:lol:

What makes this worth such an expensive purchase, anyway? Just because this guy says it's an original? Why not pay 10-20 bucks for a reprint of the exact same poster but without the folds and "soiling"?:confused:

...You're not the owner, I hope.:lol:

capncnut
12-Jan-2010, 08:39 PM
"Some soiling on back"? And what kind of soiling might that be, I wonder? :lol:
Where the current owner jizzed over it, after paying a fraction of what it's going for now. :lol:

krakenslayer
12-Jan-2010, 08:46 PM
Where the current owner jizzed over it, after paying a fraction of what it's going for now. :lol:

Apparently he used is as a "blumpkin" blanket. :hurl::lol:

C5NOTLD
12-Jan-2010, 10:45 PM
What makes this worth such an expensive purchase, anyway? Just because this guy says it's an original? Why not pay 10-20 bucks for a reprint of the exact same poster but without the folds and "soiling"?:confused:

Even with soiling that's not a bad price for a original Creepshow one sheet with comic book art. The comic book art ones tend to sell at a higher price than the other creepshow one sheets. Originals will always be worth more and will go up in value where reprints won't. The folds are common to theatrical posters (basically prior to 1990)

If it was mint then it would be close to a $250-$300 poster. Even original NOTLD 1 sheets have really risen in value in the last three years (going from around $600 to $1900). In real estate it's all about location, with posters it's all about being original.

Although I have always liked the ticket taker artwork better.

bassman
12-Jan-2010, 10:54 PM
Yeah, I know that originals go for more. I'm just saying that it would make more sense to buy the reprint for a fraction of the price and you get the exact same thing. With no folds or soiling. :p

Mike70
12-Jan-2010, 11:07 PM
Yeah, I know that originals go for more. I'm just saying that it would make more sense to buy the reprint for a fraction of the price and you get the exact same thing. With no folds or soiling. :p

i'm right there with ya on that. the day that i fork over $80 for something i can buy for $15 as a reprint is the day that someone needs to commit me to an institution.

C5NOTLD
13-Jan-2010, 03:45 AM

If you just want the poster image then you are right - it is better to buy the cheaper priced reprint.

But if you collect movie posters that were in theaters - those people tend to go with the originals at the higher prices as they will usually go up in price while they have them in their collection.

DubiousComforts
13-Jan-2010, 03:57 AM
Yeah, I know that originals go for more. I'm just saying that it would make more sense to buy the reprint for a fraction of the price and you get the exact same thing.
It doesn't make any sense to a one-sheet collector because a reprint is not an original. Why not just tell stamp or coin collectors that it makes more fiscal sense to collect images of actual stamps or coins?

People take pride in their collections, and I don't know anyone that actually "collects" reprints. And to be honest, the prices being charged for repro one-sheets are blatant rip-offs: $20-$30 for something that costs a buck to print. You'd have to be a complete idiot to pay that kind of mark-up.

DjfunkmasterG
13-Jan-2010, 10:21 AM
All of my DAWN posters are originals. I own all three colors

Green Red and Yellow

Yellow's are the most rare, Reds are more common, Greens are in the middle. I can sell my original red for about $50.00, the green will land me about $100 and the Yellow close to $150.00

I also have all 3 styles of the DAWN remake posters, and both styles of Land of the Dead. I have US and UK Shaun posters and one of the last original print TDK posters with heath Ledger behind the frosted glass with Why So Serious in blood on the glass (That goes for about $200 now a days.)

axlish
13-Jan-2010, 10:57 AM
All of my DAWN posters are originals. I own all three colors

Green Red and Yellow

Yellow's are the most rare, Reds are more common, Greens are in the middle. I can sell my original red for about $50.00, the green will land me about $100 and the Yellow close to $150.00

I'll take the yellow and red right now. Pack em up and I'll paypal you. Lets see some pictures!

bassman
13-Jan-2010, 11:54 AM
Guys, I understand that people collect original posters. I was simply stating my opinion that it's silly to spend so much money on something that will hang on your wall for looks....when it's also folded and soiled.

krakenslayer
13-Jan-2010, 12:08 PM
Guys, I understand that people collect original posters. I was simply stating my opinion that it's silly to spend so much money on something that will hang on your wall for looks....when it's also folded and soiled.

I'm with Bassman on this. The difference between a reprint and an original is all in your head. I think coin and stamp collectors who spend hundreds are suckers too. :D

DubiousComforts
13-Jan-2010, 06:27 PM
I think coin and stamp collectors who spend hundreds are suckers too. :D
By all means keep right on thinking that while dealers and collectors laugh all the way to the bank.

My father ran a "small" coin and paper money show for ten years in order to support the local volunteer fire dept. Those guys made so much cash that they had to hire armed guards as security.

krakenslayer
13-Jan-2010, 06:52 PM
By all means keep right on thinking that while dealers and collectors laugh all the way to the bank.

My father ran a "small" coin and paper money show for ten years in order to support the local volunteer fire dept. Those guys made so much cash that they had to hire armed guards as security.

Yeah, but you could say the same about gamblers. Someone makes money out of it, but it's not usually the "enthusiasts", it's the businessmen exploiting them. Like a gambler, sometimes a collector will make a profit out of it, but rarely enough to cover all the money they've plowed into their hobby over the years. Collectables have their own "bubbles" that burst, just like all other commodities.

I know most collectors don't do it for the money, but for the "fun" of it. Fair enough, each to his own. Just because I see no satisfaction in it, doesn't mean there isn't real, worthwhile enjoyment in it.

I just really, really struggle to understand the magical essence that supposedly makes an "original" poster (which is, of course, itself a reproduction of an original painting) worth so much more than a reprint.

C5NOTLD
13-Jan-2010, 07:58 PM
I just really, really struggle to understand the magical essence that supposedly makes an "original" poster (which is, of course, itself a reproduction of an original painting) worth so much more than a reprint.

Apparently quite a bit of magical essence:)

Mummy poster from 1932 sells for $435,500 (http://www.vintagepostersearch.com/blog/entry/The+Most+Expensive+Vintage+Movie+Posters/)

krakenslayer
13-Jan-2010, 08:04 PM
Apparently quite a bit of magical essence:)

Mummy poster from 1932 sells for $435,500 (http://www.vintagepostersearch.com/blog/entry/The+Most+Expensive+Vintage+Movie+Posters/)

Exactly what I'm talking about. *scratches head* :P

AcesandEights
13-Jan-2010, 08:06 PM
It doesn't make any sense to a one-sheet collector because a reprint is not an original. Why not just tell stamp or coin collectors that it makes more fiscal sense to collect images of actual stamps or coins?

As a visual numismatist I take exception to this argument! :D

But yeah, it goes without saying that, while repros may catch part of the market, and, on occasion, collectors may even resort to buying them, the money follows the passion and perceived value. So originals have that value for collectors and to a degree speculators.

C5NOTLD
13-Jan-2010, 09:47 PM
Originals posters are part of a film's history. Those are the ones you walk past when you are going into the theater. There's a limited number of them made and especially with older films it's great to be able to save a bit of the film's history. Usually original poster collectors stay away from reprints as much as reprint buyers stay away from originals.

twistbud
14-Jan-2010, 12:30 AM
I'll take the yellow and red right now. Pack em up and I'll paypal you. Lets see some pictures!

I'll give you $100 more. :p:p

My poster collection includes:

Creepshow comic x2
Red DOTD rolled
Day of the Dead rolled
1979 re-issue NOTLD rolled
Land of the Dead
Diary of the Dead (courtesy of our friend thxleo)
German Dawn
Belgian Dawn
Japan Dawn
Hard Days Night re-issue
No Nukes
Imagine
The Dark Half
Janis
Big Trouble in Little China
Stand By Me
Two Evil Eyes
Revenge of the Nerds
Naked Lunch rolled 27x41
Pink Floyd - The Wall
The Song Remains the Same
The Kids are Alright
Let There Be Rock
Welcome to my Nightmare
Midnight
Season of the Witch
Videodrom
The Howling
American Werewolf in London
Deathrace 2000 x2
Knightriders (not the boris art, but i want it bad)
Starwars (hair on belt, bootleg) (was free)

Total investment? Don't wanna think about it.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jan-2010, 10:28 AM

Sorry... none are for sale.

My single biggest fuck up was losing a RED poster that was signed top to bottom by every cast member I have ever met at cons, and right now I am on a mission to do that with another one.

axlish
14-Jan-2010, 11:47 AM
I'd still like to see a picture of the yellow poster, as I have never heard of it.

You're pricing is off, hence the humorous offers to purchase. You'll see no less than 250-300 for a green letter, and can go for upwards of 500. If the red letter is in perfect shape, it can go for nearly 200, but usually goes for around 80-140.

Again, I'd like to see a pic of the yellow poster, thanks.

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jan-2010, 10:42 PM
I'd still like to see a picture of the yellow poster, as I have never heard of it.

You're pricing is off, hence the humorous offers to purchase. You'll see no less than 250-300 for a green letter, and can go for upwards of 500. If the red letter is in perfect shape, it can go for nearly 200, but usually goes for around 80-140.

Again, I'd like to see a pic of the yellow poster, thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DAWN-OF-THE-DEAD-1978-POSTER-SIGNED-BY-4-CAST-MEMBERS_W0QQitemZ320474523923QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAr t_Posters?hash=item4a9dc52913

Not my auction, and didn't feel like digging it out, but looks similar to this (see above)

Here is a re-print of the original US art

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dawn-of-the-Dead-POSTER-Horror-Gore-RARE-Australian_W0QQitemZ390140737500QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad63337dc

$80 - $140 for a US red???? that is a bit pricey, but then again I did get my red over 5 years ago.

I also forgot I have a red Australian poster hanging in my bedroom. Will snap a pick off my Camera phone and post

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs188.snc3/19562_103414033015157_100000396828731_85157_288598 7_n.jpg

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs188.snc3/19562_103414029681824_100000396828731_85156_340192 0_n.jpg

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs188.snc3/19562_103414129681814_100000396828731_85163_250650 7_n.jpg

Supposedly there is a yellow in existence similar to the red...

Now this is the DAWN poster I really want, but it must be an original: http://cgi.ebay.com/Dawn-of-the-Dead-POSTER-Horror-Gore-RARE-ZOMBIE-British_W0QQitemZ390139915765QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad626adf5

capncnut
14-Jan-2010, 11:09 PM
Dude got the red; not a repilica either. Piece of piss for fiddy bucks.

Edit: Got the original UK poster. Only two I have as it happens.

DubiousComforts
14-Jan-2010, 11:15 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/DAWN-OF-THE-DEAD-1978-POSTER-SIGNED-BY-4-CAST-MEMBERS_W0QQitemZ320474523923QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAr t_Posters?hash=item4a9dc52913

Not my auction, and didn't feel like digging it out, but looks similar to this (see above)

Here is a re-print of the original US art

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dawn-of-the-Dead-POSTER-Horror-Gore-RARE-Australian_W0QQitemZ390140737500QQcmdZViewItemQQpt ZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad63337dc
The first poster is not an original "1978" one-sheet. I don't recall that artwork even existing in 1978.

The second auction is neither a US or Australian reprint. The original Australian poster looks similar to the US red logo one-sheet with a big Warning! box at the bottom.

Edit: now I see that you have an original Australian one-sheet hanging on the wall. Nice!

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jan-2010, 11:17 PM
The first poster is not an original "1978" one-sheet. I don't recall that artwork even existing in 1978.

The second auction is neither a US or Australian reprint. The original Australian poster looks similar to the US red logo one-sheet with a big Warning! box at the bottom.

Edit: now I see that you have an original Australian one-sheet hanging on the wall. Nice!

Yeah, love that poster, the pinkish hue makes it work for me.

capncnut
14-Jan-2010, 11:21 PM
Btw, as for my UK poster 'Zombies: Dawn Of The Dead', I acquired it courtesy of my mother. The owner of the odeon sold her a bunch of posters in 83 or 84, during a 'garage sale' including Apocalypse Now, The Wanderers, and Electra Glide In Blue.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jan-2010, 09:57 PM
SOME OF MY RARES... and MIGHT I ADD ORIGINALS

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs147.snc3/17473_431320800342_760985342_10706770_3718309_n.jp g

ROLLED AND IN EXCELLENT CONDITION
http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs127.snc3/17473_431320790342_760985342_10706769_5453352_n.jp g

---------- Post added at 05:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:55 PM ----------

Need to hunt down the two versions of RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD 2

Had them in 1988 but when our house caught fire they were destroyed along with a Night of the Creeps Video release poster, along with a slew of others like

F13 Part 6
TCM Part 2
ANOES (1984)
CHRISTINE

And about 45 others. Was truly a sad day when that happened.

hellachris
06-Feb-2010, 06:15 PM
I just scored a Day of the Dead 1 sheet off ebay for 49 bucks, plan on having it signed by some people at the Texas Frightmare Weekend in May.