PDA

View Full Version : blair witch still haunts!!!

Billythezombie
15-Jan-2010, 01:23 PM
Is their anyone that believes that the blair witch project is undoubtedly the most SCARIEST horror movie that exists? I watched it when i was like...10-11, and it still haunts me to this day when i think about it!

I think this movie is the best in its kind, the "hand held camera" sort of style works brilliantly with the movie, and makes it even much more scarier than normal hollywood blockbusters :)

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jan-2010, 02:32 PM
I found it to be overhyped dribble. I am so pissed I wasted $8.00 to see it in 99 that I refuse to ever watch anything but the filmmakers.

90 minutes of boredom and 10 minutes of payoff isn't what I call entertaining. Same goes for Paranormal Activity.

Billythezombie
15-Jan-2010, 02:56 PM
oh well, i guess its just personal tastes really! :)

mista_mo
15-Jan-2010, 03:01 PM
I remember watching it quite a long time ago..well, whenever it was released..I just like saying a long time ago, as it makes my story seem more valid, as it were. Anyways, I remember watching it, and being scared shitless. Everything about it just hit a nerve with me.

But then, I found out it was fake, and suddenly I wasn't so afraid. I really wish it would've been real...It makes for a far more interesting story.

AcesandEights
15-Jan-2010, 03:09 PM
Watching the Blair Witch Project is very similar to watching some of the political debates in the general discussion forum here.

That said, it had some scary elements that I liked, was marketed extremely well, but was more of a great idea than a well executed story. It was a bolt out of the blue for the film makers in a business sense, though.

Danny
15-Jan-2010, 03:10 PM
loved it since i first saw it. great film, mostly because it never said what really happened. biggest problem withthe theatrical release of paranormal activity is the final "twist" shot. it keeps you with it till then, then reveals its hand so to speak and your left annoyed. blair on the other hand drops little hints throughout, in particular the film ends in the house of a serial killer form the 50's who would take two kids, make one face the corner then gut the other and claimed the witch did it.
it used the internet and built itself a mythology like no other horror film. i mean it was a horror film people thought was real. in the internet age. thats fucking impressive no matter what you think about the movie, its marketing was genius.
i found the film to be chilling, but then as ive said before, as a small time filmmaker myself i could really put myself in the cameramans shoes. i imagine thats harder for some so they might have more resonance with p.a instead. which i also liked but i didnt think it needed thousands of dollars to make.

mista_mo
15-Jan-2010, 03:16 PM
but i didnt think it needed thousands of dollars to make.

I'd imagine that most of the money went into paying the Daemons salary.

I should also add that I still watch the Blair Witch project, and I find it to be an enjoyable film, even if the true horror aspect was destroyed after I found out the truth.

Billythezombie
15-Jan-2010, 03:28 PM
I knew it was fake from the beginning, but i dont really mind. I still watch it too and find it thoroughly enjoyable. I really love it. Also, the bits in it hit a nerve with me too, its just something about it...something about the story behind it or the themes that still scare the living shit out of me. I just put myself in the camera peoples shoes too much...its like i live what theyre going through. The teeth in the bag...oh god, that is so disturbing...and when they're down in the basement i imagine the fright...I wonder who did it, was it josh (conspiricy theory that he went insane because of the blair witch's possesion) or was it the actual ghost of the blair witch?

capncnut
15-Jan-2010, 04:31 PM
The Blair Witch Project was cool ONLY if you watched the bootleg. When I saw it at the theatre, everyone was laughing out loud.

Billythezombie
15-Jan-2010, 04:45 PM
The Blair Witch Project was cool ONLY if you watched the bootleg. When I saw it at the theatre, everyone was laughing out loud.
im not sure what bootleg is...but alrighty :3

krakenslayer
15-Jan-2010, 04:48 PM

An illegal copy. He means it was cooler because, like all bootleg/pirate VHSes, it was all fuzzy and blurred, which made it look more like real found footage.

bassman
15-Jan-2010, 04:49 PM
I like Blair Witch. I only watch it once in a blue moon, but it's enjoyable. I think the coolest thing is what they were able to accomplish with so little.

capncnut
15-Jan-2010, 04:49 PM
Bootleg is a crappy quality VHS or DVD that is either a low quality promotional copy or recorded in the theatre with a cam. The reason why I say the bootleg is better is because the low picture quality resembles how a bunch of tapes found in the forest would play like.

An illegal copy. He means it was cooler because, like all bootleg/pirate VHSes, it was all fuzzy and blurred, which made it look more like real found footage.
Well said.

Billythezombie
15-Jan-2010, 05:00 PM
Ahhhh alright...does sound cooler :)

darth los
15-Jan-2010, 05:15 PM
I like Blair Witch. I only watch it once in a blue moon, but it's enjoyable. I think the coolest thing is what they were able to accomplish with so little.

Like no map? :lol:

I got the feeling that they would have eventually killed each other anyway.

The dude that lost the map would have been the first to go.

You just know that would have been Mo. :lol:

:cool:

bassman
15-Jan-2010, 05:18 PM
:lol:

It would've turned into "Alive". They start feeding off the one that's dead...

Marie
15-Jan-2010, 05:20 PM
I think this movie is the best in its kind, the "hand held camera" sort of style works brilliantly with the movie, and makes it even much more scarier than normal hollywood blockbusters :)

The hand held camera effect just nausiated me. Motion sickness in a theater is a problem.:(

M_

JDFP
15-Jan-2010, 05:48 PM
One of the best horror films of the 90's, a decade that won't really be remembered for "GREAT" horror films but did manage to put out a few gems like "BWP". I absolutely loved the film when it first came out, and still really dig it as well. It's in my Top 25 Greatest Horror Films Ever list.

They (the creators of the original) are talking about re-visiting the film and bringing back the original actors for a new BWP that is going to be filmed in similar fashion/style that delves further into the backstory. I'll definitely be interested in seeing a sequal. With the success of "Paranormal Activity" showing that horror movies can still be made without showing any of that ridiculous and silly overexposure of blood/guts, silly monsters, and bad CGI -- it wouldn't be surprising to finally see this take shape.

That piece of absolute inane garbage known as "Blair Witch: Book of Shadows" doesn't count.

As an interesting aside, the town of Burkittsville, MD. (where much of the film is made and set as well) is still frequently visited as an attraction for Halloween and during the tourist season as the "Home of the Blair Witch". While I'm sure the folks there probably get tired of the kids running rampant in the cemetery, it has to be a good feeling to be making all the extra cash off the kids/crazy adults (like us) visiting the place regularly so they can make good $$$ off of it.

My personal goal for Halloween this year is to hopefully visit the town out here in my home state of Tennessee, and home, of the very real Bell witch that much liberties for the Blair Witch were taken from. Now if you want a groovy and very real story, it's definitely worth while looking into the Bell witch.

j.p.

darth los
15-Jan-2010, 05:54 PM
The hand held camera effect just nausiated me. Motion sickness in a theater is a problem.:(

M_

It's funny how some people have that problem.

I went to see Cloverfield with my two sisters. I was loving it, however, they both took turns going to the bathroom to hurl. :hurl:

Go figure. :confused:

Billythezombie
15-Jan-2010, 05:55 PM
One of the best horror films of the 90's, a decade that won't really be remembered for "GREAT" horror films but did manage to put out a few gems like "BWP". I absolutely loved the film when it first came out, and still really dig it as well. It's in my Top 25 Greatest Horror Films Ever list.

They (the creators of the original) are talking about re-visiting the film and bringing back the original actors for a new BWP that is going to be filmed in similar fashion/style that delves further into the backstory. I'll definitely be interested in seeing a sequal. With the success of "Paranormal Activity" showing that horror movies can still be made without showing any of that ridiculous and silly overexposure of blood/guts, silly monsters, and bad CGI -- it wouldn't be surprising to finally see this take shape.

That piece of absolute inane garbage known as "Blair Witch: Book of Shadows" doesn't count.

As an interesting aside, the town of Burkittsville, MD. (where much of the film is made and set as well) is still frequently visited as an attraction for Halloween and during the tourist season as the "Home of the Blair Witch". While I'm sure the folks there probably get tired of the kids running rampant in the cemetery, it has to be a good feeling to be making all the extra cash off the kids/crazy adults (like us) visiting the place regularly so they can make good $$$ off of it.

My personal goal for Halloween this year is to hopefully visit the town out here in my home state of Tennessee, and home, of the very real Bell witch that much liberties for the Blair Witch were taken from. Now if you want a groovy and very real story, it's definitely worth while looking into the Bell witch.

j.p.
that sounds so awesome!! I'd love to go their and just creep myself out...will you be going to the woods and camping out there?

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jan-2010, 06:53 PM
That place is about an hour from me... The locals are kind of tired of the hype behind the movie bringing outsiders into the town.

darth los
15-Jan-2010, 07:06 PM
That place is about an hour from me... The locals are kind of tired of the hype behind the movie bringing outsiders into the town.

Yeah, God forbid they keep their town's economy going, huh? :rolleyes:

The Jerk offs who run Monroeville mall have the same attitude.

Danny
15-Jan-2010, 08:47 PM
It's funny how some people have that problem.

I went to see Cloverfield with my two sisters. I was loving it, however, they both took turns going to the bathroom to hurl. :hurl:

Go figure. :confused:

during cloverfield i kept looking away from the screen for a few minutes for a breather, when i got out i had to sit on the curb with my head between my knees to stop everything spinning. never got that before. well maybe a little in condemed form its up and down walking camera motion.

Billythezombie
15-Jan-2010, 08:51 PM
I loved the way cloverfield was shot and the way that the blair witch was shot...dosent make me feel sick one bitty..dont see how it could...but oh well i guess some people it affects more than others, toughen up people!! lol ^^

C5NOTLD
15-Jan-2010, 09:17 PM
One of the most boring films ever made.

I'd much rather watch the 30th anniversary of NOTLD again that see BW - that says everything..

wayzim
15-Jan-2010, 11:56 PM

j.p.

The intent of Blair Witch 2 was what made me like it, sorta like the "Not Without My Anus. " gag on South Park ... which likewise teed off so called true fans of that show.
Book of Shadows was never meant to be like the original. What it did best was to overturn the whole Video as Truth BS which later films ( including Diary of The Dead. ) tried to pass off as legit.
Blair Witch 2 did a decent job of deconstructing the mythos, with some fun surreal moments and a few interesting questions. For instance, if the Blair Witch was a fake, where did the couple from Boston get all this documentation they were carting around? It did sorta fumble the ending, but not by much.
Besides, that skinny little Wicca girl. Erica, was nice eye candy.

Wayne Z
"Wicca, Wicked Good. "

Craig
16-Jan-2010, 12:18 AM
Isn't the pic in mista mo's sig a clip from Blair Witch? Doesn't look that scary really.

clanglee
16-Jan-2010, 12:54 AM
The intent of Blair Witch 2 was what made me like it, sorta like the "Not Without My Anus. " gag on South Park ... which likewise teed off so called true fans of that show.
Book of Shadows was never meant to be like the original. What it did best was to overturn the whole Video as Truth BS which later films ( including Diary of The Dead. ) tried to pass off as legit.
Blair Witch 2 did a decent job of deconstructing the mythos, with some fun surreal moments and a few interesting questions. For instance, if the Blair Witch was a fake, where did the couple from Boston get all this documentation they were carting around? It did sorta fumble the ending, but not by much.
Besides, that skinny little Wicca girl. Erica, was nice eye candy.

Wayne Z
"Wicca, Wicked Good. "

I agree with the above in it's entireity. . . expecially the last part. :evil:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/img/news5/erikaleershen.jpg

JDFP
16-Jan-2010, 01:17 AM
Goth chics.... mmmm.....yesss.... :D:D:D

None will ever hold a torch to the great Siouxsie Sioux though...

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2008/02/08/alg_siouxsie.jpg

Pardon me while I step into my bathroom for the next three to seven minutes... :hyper:

j.p.

clanglee
16-Jan-2010, 03:28 AM
Never really found Siouxsie all that attractive. A little too "manindragish" for me. http://slowdive.users.netlink.co.uk/Sioux/sioux009.jpg Great voice tho.

JDFP
16-Jan-2010, 03:42 AM
Clanglee, you're confusing her with Robert Smith (from "The Cure") and his look he had going on when he could pass as her twin brother there for awhile...

http://media.monstersandcritics.com/articles/1403534/article_images/cure.jpg

... or perhaps Siouxsie and Smith may be Tim Burton's cousin?

http://www.intpcentral.com/uploads/TimBurton.jpg

Siouxsie is a beautiful gal though, I'd hit that in a heartbeat. :)

j.p.

clanglee
16-Jan-2010, 03:53 AM
Yeah her and Robert Smith were two peas in a pod for a while. But at least I knew Smith was a guy. . . with Siouxsie there was just enough femininity to be a woman obviously, but just enough man face to make me wonder.

rongravy
16-Jan-2010, 04:18 AM
sorta like the "Not Without My Anus. " gag on South Park ... which likewise teed off so called true fans of that show.

That's one of the best shows they ever did. More Terrance and Phillip. And more Ugly Bob and Celine Dion!!!

Siouxsie is a beautiful gal though, I'd hit that in a heartbeat. :)

So would I. She is a rare bird. Wonder if Smith was hitting it back in the day.

I hated BWP. That movie is the worst I've ever seen(with Unbreakable as a close second), and I've seen movies like Ishtar and Deal of the Century.:elol:
It was a bunch of some chick yelling and bitching at the doods that were with her. I don't need to go anywhere but home to get that kind of headache.
Then no pay off at the end?
Woops, yer buddeh's in the corner and the camera falls.
Yeah, no. Everybody in that theater walked out thinking the same as I.
Scariest thing since The Exorcist, my Aunt Fannie. That should've been warning enough for me.
Even funnier is when Paranormal activity came out, people said alot about the similarities with BWP. I was like, "There's one I won't be seeing."
However it was slightly better. And had some kind of pay off at the end...
Maybe it's that I don't believe in ghosts and witches and magic crap like that.
BWP2 was just as lame.
And very wrong.

Mr.G
16-Jan-2010, 11:07 PM
The original was good. I didn't think it was THAT scary until I tried to sleep the night I watched it. FREAKED me out. I can appreciate Book of Shadows....IMO not as bad as most believe it is.

Mike70
17-Jan-2010, 02:49 AM
I'd imagine that most of the money went into paying the Daemons salary.

from the look of the cast and crew, most of that cash went in keeping the courtesy bowls packed.

kind buds aren't cheap.

oh and by the way, i really detest blair witch project. 'tis not my cup of tea.

C5NOTLD
17-Jan-2010, 07:00 PM
Even funnier is when Paranormal activity came out, people said alot about the similarities with BWP. I was like, "There's one I won't be seeing."
However it was slightly better. And had some kind of pay off at the end...
Maybe it's that I don't believe in ghosts and witches and magic crap like that.

I always enjoy Paranormal shows/movies but when PA started to be compared to BW I avoided seeing PA like the plague.

Mr.G
19-Jan-2010, 02:16 AM
I always enjoy Paranormal shows/movies but when PA started to be compared to BW I avoided seeing PA like the plague.

With the exception of the first person view, I don't consider the two similar.