PDA

View Full Version : Sigs freezing browser

MikePizzoff
23-Feb-2010, 11:52 AM
Many members here have animated GIF's as their sigs, some with multiple. These sigs freeze my browser every time I scroll upon them. They don't completely freeze the browser, however it freezes for about 7-10 seconds each time. This ads up and becomes pretty annoying. Particularly Tricky's sig - that seems to freeze it much longer than any others.

Can someone tell me why this is happening? It doesn't happen on any other website with animated GIF's.

I'm running Safari 4.0.3 on a fairly new MacBook Pro with OS X, version 10.5.8.

bassman
23-Feb-2010, 12:23 PM
I sometimes have this problem as well. I don't mean to single out Tricky and I think his sig is funny as hell, but it's probably because it's like 20 minutes long.:p

Danny
23-Feb-2010, 03:43 PM
actually trickys posts seem to break my browser in general, its very odd. if he posts a video my browser opens it in a new window as well as playing the embedded one that i cannot click on, if i quote him it crashes my browser more often than not and his sig freezes the thread when others like mo's are just fine. like i said its odd, but now you mention it my browser seems to have a vendetta on the guy or something.

MikePizzoff
23-Feb-2010, 03:52 PM
actually trickys posts seem to break my browser in general, its very odd. if he posts a video my browser opens it in a new window as well as playing the embedded one that i cannot click on, if i quote him it crashes my browser more often than not and his sig freezes the thread when others like mo's are just fine. like i said its odd, but now you mention it my browser seems to have a vendetta on the guy or something.

Yeah, it's weird. I don't understand why the hell Tricky causes more problems than anyone else. :lol:

The internet does not like him.

Andy
23-Feb-2010, 04:36 PM
What browsers and systems are you all using? Ive never experienced any problem with signitures making me freeze on vista and using Internet Explorer.

Also how regular do you clear history/cache on your browser?

AcesandEights
23-Feb-2010, 04:50 PM

Are you saying H-A-S-T-U-R three times, in a room lit only by the dim light of your computer screen, before clicking? That may fix your problems...or make them seem small by comparison :)

MikePizzoff
23-Feb-2010, 05:04 PM
What browsers and systems are you all using? Ive never experienced any problem with signitures making me freeze on vista and using Internet Explorer.

Also how regular do you clear history/cache on your browser?

I just cleared my cache and history a few days ago and the problem is still as prevalent as ever.

Neil
23-Feb-2010, 05:27 PM
Tricky uses very large aninated GIFs in his sig/footer!

In the old forum each person had options to specify if they wanted to omit avatar images and/or images from sigs. This was mainly to allow people to speed up their forum access...

Andy
23-Feb-2010, 05:38 PM
Ive virtually no experience with mac's so i asked a friend of mine to have a look and it appears to be a known browser issue with safari, firefox and IE both render the image properly where safari slows down to a crawl.

My technical friends advice, use a different browser.

Alternatively you can turn signitures off in your user cp - edit options..

Ed
23-Feb-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm using Firefox and haven't encountered any problems as described above so far.

Danny
23-Feb-2010, 06:34 PM

I just cleared my cache and history a few days ago and the problem is still as prevalent as ever.

safari 4.0.3 on a macbook and an iMac, version 10.5.8.

seems trickys got a secret anti apple agenda.

MikePizzoff
23-Feb-2010, 07:09 PM
safari 4.0.3 on a macbook and an iMac, version 10.5.8.

seems trickys got a secret anti apple agenda.

We need to round up all of the Mac users on the forums and create an angry mob (with torches)!

Danny
23-Feb-2010, 07:15 PM
We need to round up all of the Mac users on the forums and create an angry mob (with torches)!

iTorch, for when you want to form a mob and set fire to a windmill with a monster inside. in black and white, of course.

krakenslayer
23-Feb-2010, 07:21 PM

iTorches, white ceramic and chrome things that can only be lit by special iFlames software that consumes resources and slows your computer to a crawl. :D

Danny
28-Mar-2010, 02:06 AM
okay, this is getting worse and it is always trickys posts that fuck it up still. It now doesnt lag my browser, it out and out freezes it for up to 5 minutes. if a thread has a tricky post its now easier to force quit my entire browser and restart it.

WAT.:|

Andy
28-Mar-2010, 09:52 AM
Its a common issue with safari hellsing, like ive already said your choices are to use another browser or turn signitures off in your user cp here.