PDA

View Full Version : I Need some advice

ngm231
02-Jun-2006, 04:44 AM
im looking to make my first movie and i need some advice on buying my camera. any suggestions?

Danny
02-Jun-2006, 04:57 AM
mini dv's the way to go man.

MinionZombie
02-Jun-2006, 07:32 AM
Like hellsing said, miniDV is a sure thing.

Camera wise, I stand by Canon cameras, they're good. Although Panasonic are quite good as well (personally I'd avoid Sony, they're just dropping in quality and pretty much only the very high end professional cameras they do are only worth it - perhaps not even then...).

A wide angle lense would also be quite helpful, go for a healthy optical zoom (digital zoom is pointless). When you get the camera, also get one of those chunkier batteries, you'll be glad you did, when I got my Canon miniDV camera I got one of those long lasting batteries and was really glad I did - use the small one for an emergency backup.

If you're getting a tripod with the camera, try and get a decent priced one (not just a tenner or something) with a 'fluid head' (or similar description). Cheap tripods are basically only good at holding your camera up without you, for pans and tilts they're essentially useless. Heiwa tripods, I've found, are good - even come with a spirit level to keep your shots (when you need them to be) level.

I've found the Canon XM2 (it's European name, not sure about what it's called in America, GL2? Not sure), is a good camera for non-professional (but good looking) work while having a few gadgets at your disposal.

You also might want to look into getting an additional microphone - e.g. (for Canon) the Canon DM50 'shotgun' mic, which has stereo sound. You can also get adapters to plug into the multi-purpose plate on the top of cameras to let you plug in proper boom mics and so forth.

Hope some of this helps anyway.

Danny
02-Jun-2006, 09:17 AM
all sage advice but theres one thing we both forgot to say, stabilizer for the picture i cant stress how important that is unsless you want a blair witch look for your films.:D

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jun-2006, 10:14 AM
Camera suggestions:

If you want to shoot 24 frames per Second, which is standard film speed, and only have $3500 to spend on a camera I would go with the Panasonic DVX-100. The DVX 100 is a great little camera and we have used it for most of DEADLANDS now. There are some cons to the camera.

1. It is native 4x3 (4:3) recording so even when you switch to 16:9 all you are getting is 4:3 with the 16:9 black bars. However, you can still record at 24 fps.

2. It has a built in flourescent filter for shooting with flourescent lights.

3. It has Stereo XLR inputs for audio recording, and level adjustments on the camera for L&R Audio

4. 6 different settings to choose from. F6 Mode is 24P adavnced F5 mode is 24P regular, F4 Mode is 30Fps record, F3 is 60FPS Interlaced. I can't remember F1 & F2 because we never use them.

5. The color reproduction is amazing not too mention the camera uses 1/3" CCD chips.

Now if you want Native 16:9 recording (WIDESCREEN) and also want 24P (24 frames per second Progressive aka Film Look) you would have to buy the Canon XL2. Retail price $4,799.00

The Canon has all the same features as the DVX100, plus you can physically detach and change lenses, and of course you have native 16:9 recording. The XL2 does not have an LCD monitor. With this camera you would have to buy your own external.

Canon XL2 has a baby brother, the GL2 which still records 16:9 but doesn't have the 24 frames per second mode. It's slowest frame mode speed is 30 fps. However, the GL2 is plagued with problems and Canon discontinued making it. I used the GL1 which the GL2 replaced on parts of DEADLANDS and it is a great camera, you could pick up a used GL1 for about $1100 and you would never be disappointed with it.

I hope my DP chimes in on this thread. He loves talking about cameras. I think the DVX100 and XL2 are his 2 favorite cameras in the standard definition format.

Pistolero Films
02-Jun-2006, 11:49 AM
I've worked with a number of cameras. If you are going to go new I would suggest Canon or Panasonic. You can find some used ones about $1000 cheaper than new.

If you are on a tight budget look for older Canon GL1s or Sony Vx1000s. You can add a bunch of goodies to them also.

Stay away from Sony's new low and mid range cameras - they are getting a lot of bad press from users. I also dont recommend any other manufacturers, unless you only have $500 or less to spend.

If you have $10,000 to spare, I would suggest going with the HD Canon. That things is sweeet.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Jun-2006, 11:58 AM
The only problem with the VX is it's simulated progressive mode. My DP has a VX and the simulation of Progressive is not too good. Not too mention when used it only shoots 4:3 native.

I don't know what the man plans on shooting, but to keep cost down I would suggest getting a used GL1 or DVX-100. I bought my DVX100 used for $2,000.00 and after a good cleaning and recalibrating it works phenomenally.

The GL1 is a great camera. In my trailer the shot where the camera cranes up to reveal the Baltimore inner harbor was shot on the Canon GL1 in frame mode. You can get those used for about $1,000.00 - $1300.00. I don't recommend the GL2 as I hear nothing but people complaining about them on dvinfo.net. Mostly the camera just shutting off on it's own, or the tape load mechanism going bad after 6 months. Small problems and easily covered by warranty, but who wants that hassle on a 6 month old camera.

Here is an auction for a used DVX100 with only 57 hours of use on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIKE-NEW-PANASONIC-DVX100-NTSC-CAMCORDER-WITH-57HRS-USE_W0QQitemZ7624996005QQihZ017QQcategoryZ20332QQr dZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Selling at the moment for $910.00 (as of 8:00am EST)