PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any groovy plans for Halloween?

JDFP
12-Apr-2010, 05:40 PM
Hey, I know this is 6 months early, but I know I personally always try to plan my Halloween's out early as it's my most favorite holiday of the entire year (being the horror fan that I am).

This year I'm trying something different that I think is going to be a regular tradition for me that I'm going to begin this year. New horror films that are coming out that I'm really looking forward to seeing are going into the back of my rental queue so I can rent them over the Halloween weekend to watch. I also take vacation time from work during Halloween, so I'll be off for about 6-7 days during that time-period. So, the cool thing is I'll have like 10 new horror flicks to watch during the weekend that I haven't seen yet to really enjoy the atmosphere and fun of the weekend. So far, I have lined up: "Trick 'r Treat", "Carriers", "The Orphan", "Moon", "Pandorum", "The Box", and "I Sell The Dead". I'll also be adding "The New Daughter" w/Kevin Costner once it comes out. I'm also hoping to add at least two more films between now and Halloween for that weekend. It's also tradition for me to always watch: "The Nightmare Before Christmas" (my most favorite Halloween film) during the Halloween holiday as well.

I know that there's a convention also going on up in PA. for Romero fans. I've thought about possibly attending that if my finances are where they need to be for that weekend. I figure that it would be fun as hell and hopefully I could meet some more folks here from the board to hang out with and raise some absolute hell during that weekend. So, this is something I'll also look into doing. If not, I'm sure that I will come up with some other good plans (hopefully a Halloween party or two) to also partake in for that weekend.

Anyway, I'm starting to get really excited for it, as it has always been my most favorite time of the year. Anyone else have any big plans or regular Halloween rituals you'll be doing?

j.p.

ProfessorChaos
12-Apr-2010, 06:23 PM
wow, jp, that is a bit premature! (that's what she said! j/k)

anyways, i didn't make it to the living dead fest last year, funds weren't available since i got back in school. i have my heart set on going this year, however. if something comes up and i can't make it, me and three of my buddies from work have discussed getting all geared up like alex and his droogs from a clockwork orange and getting super-shitty and causing minor levels of havoc.

bassman
12-Apr-2010, 06:45 PM
Is Moon considered horror?:rockbrow:

As for Halloween...I don't do too much anymore. Take the kid around, maybe hit a party for a minute, then go home to hand out candy for the rest of the night while sipping on some Jack and watching the dead trilogy. It may not be the greatest in the world, but I love it...

And damn dude....6 months in advance? :lol:

JDFP
12-Apr-2010, 06:59 PM
Is Moon considered horror?:rockbrow:

As for Halloween...I don't do too much anymore. Take the kid around, maybe hit a party for a minute, then go home to hand out candy for the rest of the night while sipping on some Jack and watching the dead trilogy. It may not be the greatest in the world, but I love it...

And damn dude....6 months in advance? :lol:

Nah, I think it's Sci-Fi, but usually Sci-Fi and horror are closely related ("Aliens"). I'm really looking forward to seeing it regardless. And yeah, I know it's in advance, but it's just such a fun time of the year (especially for we horror nuts). :)

j.p.

bassman
12-Apr-2010, 07:07 PM
I suppose you could find some horror aspects in Moon, but for the most part I would say it's more of a straight forward sci fi. The horror levels are no where near Alien.

I'll put it this way....I wouldn't have Moon reserved for a Halloween viewing, if I were you. You could find something to better fill that slot. Not that Moon isn't good - I love it. But I personally wouldn't find it to be a good halloween flick. My two cents...

JDFP
02-Jul-2010, 07:52 PM
Alright, folks, only 4 more months away! I'm getting excited!

Okay, so I took up Bassman's advice and watched "Moon" already -- it was impressive. Anything that Kevin Spacey does is usually quite good and I was impressed with the film. Certainly not a good "Halloween evening" showing though. I watched "Pandorum" too -- and it was rather disappointing (unfortunately). So, these are the films I have lined up for this Halloween (so far): "Trick 'R Treat", "The Orphan", "The Box", "Carriers", "I Sell The Dead", "The New Daughter", and "The Crazies" (remake). I also have a few classic films I haven't seen (or don't remember seeing) as well: "Don't Look Now" with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie and "The Changeling" with the late and great George C. "Patton" Scott as well as the Rifftrax version of "NOTLD".

My plan for Halloween as of now is to watch these many horror films over the Halloween weekend and drink copious amounts of alcohol. So, not too different from any other weekend really...

I am going to be off several days for my annual Halloween vacation and I really want to make this year special (for a change). I think we should all plan out a road-trip to PA. I'd love to visit the Monroeville Mall and the Evans City Cemetery and as many of the other sites as possible. A Halloween pilgrimage, you could say. A planned road-trip for HPOTD members who could make it would be fantastic.

Isn't there also a horror convention over the Halloween weekend up there as well? Is the Living Dead fest still on? I'm definitely considering coming if it's something we could plan out as a grand event. It would be perfect to plan it all out together for a pilgrimage/trip.

Anyway, only four more months, we're down to the line people... don't make Dr. Rausch call you a dummy! Plan it all out now, let's make this Halloween unforgettable as the greatest Halloween ever.

(As a side note, if we have another attempted virgin sacrifice this year, Gary, try to find a woman that's a little more 'fresh' so the sacrifice can actually be legitimate :D).

j.p.

Danny
02-Jul-2010, 08:55 PM
dress up like the killer from scream, fill a pumpkin full of fireworks, nothin' special. y'know, the usual.

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 09:07 PM
dress up like the killer from scream, fill a pumpkin full of fireworks, nothin' special. y'know, the usual.

Setting fire to paper bags full of dog shit on people's porches? That kinda thing?

BillyRay
02-Jul-2010, 09:08 PM
Although it's a little early...

(By that I mean that no contract has been signed --but one of our crew is a manager at the venue)

My puppet crew will be performing our Night of the Living Dead Puppet Show at the Oriental Theatre in Milwaukee. Halloween Night, 2010.

On this stage right here:

https://pantherfile.uwm.edu/kmbrucks/www/Images/PLAY/oriental.jpg

(I've posted this pic before in the movie theatre thread awhiles back)

We've already got a couple of local vaudville/oddball opening acts lined up. We decided to do One Big Show instead of a multiple-weekend run at a bar somewhere.

I'm pretty stoked about this...

bassman
02-Jul-2010, 09:11 PM
Whoa man. NICE venue. No doubt you're excited.

Too bad it's so far away, otherwise I would be there.

Danny
02-Jul-2010, 09:19 PM
Setting fire to paper bags full of dog shit on people's porches? That kinda thing?

Nope, normally i throw a diaper full of indian food at white cars owned by local dickheads.

BillyRay
02-Jul-2010, 09:29 PM
Whoa man. NICE venue. No doubt you're excited.

Too bad it's so far away, otherwise I would be there.

Yeah, This is the one I'll finally insist that my folks drive into town to see.

As for out-of-town visitors...Sheeeit, Bass, just bring a sleeping bag!

Me coucha es su coucha.

Purge
02-Jul-2010, 10:05 PM
Chiller Theatre in New Jersey. Can't wait.

EDukes
06-Aug-2010, 05:14 AM
Heading to ZomBcon in Seattle. Max Brooks, G.A.R., and Bruce Campbell are suppose to be there. Three days of zombie awesomeness, and it'll be my first convention.

Minerva_Zombi
12-Aug-2010, 05:34 AM
Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper in Concert Oct. 20th!

:evil:

JDFP
13-Aug-2010, 01:07 PM

Oh you lucky lucky person...

I'd love to see them in concert. I bet they would be great.

Only a little over two months away from the great Halloween now! I'm starting to get really pumped up!

j.p.

bassman
13-Aug-2010, 01:09 PM
White Zombie is one thing, but Rob's solo career can fuck off....

JDFP
13-Aug-2010, 01:21 PM
White Zombie is one thing, but Rob's solo career can fuck off....

Don't hold back, Bass... how do you really feel? :)

Do you have the same vitriol for his solo career as some folks do here towards his films?

(I do agree that his solo career stuff is completely different; his work with White Zombie was more punkish/rock with some Gothic undertones as opposed to his solo stuff basically being pop with a rougher edge to it).

j.p.

bassman
13-Aug-2010, 02:02 PM
Don't hold back, Bass... how do you really feel? :)

Do you have the same vitriol for his solo career as some folks do here towards his films?

I like his films, but hate his solo music career. Well....I like two of the three films i've seen. I've yet to see Halloween 2, but Halloween and TDR were great.

Purge
14-Aug-2010, 02:11 PM
I've yet to see Halloween 2, but Halloween and TDR were great.

Keep it that way.

JDFP
14-Aug-2010, 04:06 PM
Keep it that way.

Why? It's better than Halloween 3, Halloween 5, Halloween 6, and Halloween: Resurrection.

j.p.

BillyRay
14-Aug-2010, 04:45 PM
xFqIQu1bG4s

acealive1
14-Aug-2010, 06:02 PM
i'll be in zombie town USA.

---------- Post added at 02:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

xFqIQu1bG4s

u ever notice how that song resembles the willy wonka theme from charlie and the chocolate factory?

JDFP
18-Aug-2010, 01:26 AM
75 More days to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween... 75 More days to Halloween... Silver Shamrock!

Don't forget your masks kids! Only 75 more days!

Oh God, I've been singing the song at work (to the laughing chagrin of my co-workers) and can't get it out of my head! I feel like the guy from "Network" right now, I can't get it out of my head!!!

There should really be a contemporary re-make of "Halloween: Season of the Witch" -- that's one of the few flicks I certainly wouldn't mind seeing an update up.

j.p.

BillyRay
18-Aug-2010, 01:58 PM
75 More days to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween... 75 More days to Halloween... Silver Shamrock!

Don't forget your masks kids! Only 75 more days!

Oh God, I've been singing the song at work (to the laughing chagrin of my co-workers) and can't get it out of my head! I feel like the guy from "Network" right now, I can't get it out of my head!!!

:lol:

Then my job is done...

Purge
18-Aug-2010, 02:41 PM
Why? It's better than Halloween 3, Halloween 5, Halloween 6, and Halloween: Resurrection.

j.p.

True, but that's not saying a whole helluva lot.

Minerva_Zombi
07-Sep-2010, 07:32 AM
Hey Halloween 3 is my favorite of the sequels! lol

Purge
07-Sep-2010, 02:13 PM

Yeah, they'll be here for Rock And Shock (http://www.rockandshock.com), too.

MikePizzoff
08-Sep-2010, 12:11 PM
Yeah, they'll be here for Rock And Shock (http://www.rockandshock.com), too.

Now that's an awesome idea - not only is it like a normal horror convention as far as guests/vendors go, but then it's also a music festival. If Monster Mania would do that, then I'd surely buy tickets.

acealive1
09-Sep-2010, 07:22 PM
going to pittsburgh, seeing dead sites and all. and walking the mall sometime between halloween and november 4th.

going to a party the day i arrive in town and going to have to get my nice costume going soon

Publius
24-Sep-2010, 10:32 AM
I'm trying to figure out a costume for my five-year-old. He wants to be Darth Vader, because this is The Year He Learned About Star Wars. My wife doesn't want him to be anything "evil," so we're thinking about making a kick-ass Lego minifig costume for him, because this is also The Year He Got Into Legos. Perfect compromise -- Lego Darth Vader? :P

DubiousComforts
24-Sep-2010, 09:53 PM
With Judy Ridley and other NOTLD alumni attending Chiller Theatre (http://www.chillertheatre.com/main.htm) in NJ, Halloween just became really groovy.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs665.snc4/60528_454769161384_827556384_5036303_1942_n.jpg

I'm trying to figure out a costume for my five-year-old. He wants to be Darth Vader, because this is The Year He Learned About Star Wars. My wife doesn't want him to be anything "evil,"
Darth Vader isn't "evil." Just have him go as the Uncle Fester unmasked ROTJ version of Vader and all will be kosher with the missus.

A George Lucas costume--now that would be pure evil.

JDFP
28-Feb-2011, 05:50 PM
Hey everyone, JP here with a friendly reminder...

Eight more months to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, eight more months to Halloween, Silver Shamrock! It's almost time kids, remember to be tuned in at 8 o'clock for the big giveaway and have your masks on!

So, with it only being eight months away, is everyone getting as excited as I am? My hope for Halloween this year is that we get a new season of "The Walking Dead" to kick it off with hopefully another exciting special longer episode for the new season. I'm lining up a ton of new horror films for this year in patient anticipation, and I'm sure there will be at least another 5-6 horror films released between now and then I'll be able to line up for the festivities of that evening.

Of course, I'll be off from work for vacation as it's the greatest holiday of the entire year and I plan on enjoying every minute of it. While I won't have any spare money (still have to get my car fixed) this year for any special trips to Monroeville or any other special pilgrimage locations, I do intend on enjoying it with some fine films and some fine beer and I hope to check out some haunted houses this year.

Anyway, has everyone lined up their plans yet?

j.p.

rongravy
28-Feb-2011, 08:50 PM
Every year I always plan to go as White Mr. T. but never do. I pretty much have the whole thing planned out, I just need the T-hawk.
I usually end up going as a zombie.
This year perhaps.......................?

ProfessorChaos
28-Feb-2011, 09:29 PM
Eight more months to Halloween, Halloween, Halloween, eight more months to Halloween, Silver Shamrock! It's almost time kids, remember to be tuned in at 8 o'clock for the big giveaway and have your masks on!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NfTdoJLwjAU/S9ir6xWm4hI/AAAAAAAAFlY/xywoBGf-FHo/s1600/360916.jpg

uh, i plan to graduate, find a job, enjoy the summer, look into med school, etc....maybe around sept i'll weigh in with some plans, but holy crap, talk about enthusiasm....:eek:

JDFP
22-Oct-2011, 02:29 PM
So, here we are, my most favorite time of year!

Every year I've started doing a horror film fest for my own self (my dad is going to join me for part of it as he's a horror fan like I am and I have some other friends hanging out at some other times as well) and I'm looking forward to my Second Annual Halloween Horror Marathon that will begin on Halloween this year.

I have an impressive slate (or at least I hope so, I'll find out either way) of horror or horror-esque films I've been saving all year for this special holiday event (Halloween for me is like Christmas for other people, I look forward all year to it!). This year I have lined up 14 films:

"The Changeling" (with George C. Scott, a classic for sure but I've never seen it so I'm looking forward to it).
"Orphan" (I had this one lined up for last year but never got a chance to get to it)
"Rifftrax: Night of the Living Dead" (looking forward to what laughs they can have at the classic, I generally love all the Rifftrax stuff).
"Dark Night of the Scarecrow" (another classic from 1981 I've never seen recently released on DVD in the last year or so).
"Insidious" (I've heard great things about this film, so I'm looking forward to it).
"YellowBrickRoad" (I've heard shitty things about this one, but I'll find out I suppose.)
"Super 8" (very excited to see this one!).
"Apollo 18" (I've been looking forward to this one all year!).
"Final Destination 5" (because these films are entertaining to me in a good laugh sort of way).
"Paranormal Activity 3" (these films are very enjoyable for a good scare to me).
"Let Me In" (it's an American remake so I'm a big "eh" on it but I've heard great things about it).
"Doghouse" (it's supposed to be funny in a crazy women with rage-like virus killing all the men).
"The Ward" (John Carpenter, let's hope it's better than his last 4-5 films!).
"Vanishing on 7th Street" (the trailer makes it look interesting).

Overall, I think I have a fairly impressive line up of films for my film marathon I'm counting down the days for -- I'll have vacation for the weekend so the Halloween will kick off for me with an episode of "TWD" on Sunday night on the 30th and I'll launch into my film marathon from there with a case of beer and anticipation for some hopefully good scares.

I'm already starting to prep for next year ("Take Shelter" is on the list for next year for the marathon as is Oren Peli's "Area 51" if it is ever released, the Toronto Film Festival "The Day" which I've heard good things about, "The Cabin In The Woods" if ever released, "The Darkest Hour", "The Divide", and I'm sure many others which will come out between now and then) as it's an all year event planning the holiday out.

j.p.

MinionZombie
22-Oct-2011, 05:57 PM
A few comments on some of those movies - I really enjoyed Super 8. A blockbuster with heart, a quality script, and a lovely dose of nostalgia ... and a kick arse train crash sequence ... and numerous references to zombies. :cool:

Let Me In - totally and utterly superfluous. If you're going to see a version of that story, watch the original movie - Let The Right One In - the American version would be a pretty good film on it's own, however the good comes from the original movie, and that shadow looms large over the remake ... a remake which is almost entirely pointless. Watch the original first - trust me.

Doghouse - nothing amazing, and certainly no Shaun of the Dead, however it's good guys-night-in fodder. Pizza and a couple of six packs would be ideal accompaniment to the movie. It's a bit 'lite bite' but it's also a good bit of fun - and Emily Booth is in it, which is a plus for UK genre fans.

Danny
23-Oct-2011, 11:43 AM
heading to a party in the woods as frank rossitano from 30 rock. the only costume other than hobo i could imagine having to intentionally dress down for :lol: gonna bring my projector, another guys bringing his generator and sound system, and anothers bringing some kegs and a bbq. Gonna sit in the woods in the dark eating durgers, watching bad horror films and having general hallows end good times.

MinionZombie
23-Oct-2011, 04:34 PM
heading to a party in the woods as frank rossitano from 30 rock. the only costume other than hobo i could imagine having to intentionally dress down for :lol: gonna bring my projector, another guys bringing his generator and sound system, and anothers bringing some kegs and a bbq. Gonna sit in the woods in the dark eating durgers, watching bad horror films and having general hallows end good times.

Damn, that sounds pretty nifty. As far as I know there's three fifths of sod all happening in my neck of the woods.

Mike70
23-Oct-2011, 05:38 PM
watching "son of frankenstein" and "rosemary's baby" like i have for the last 20+ years.

MikePizzoff
23-Oct-2011, 05:44 PM
Went to a costume party on Friday. I dressed like DMC, in his Adidas getup. Pics later.

Next Saturday is the usual cover show that we have in Philly, at a warehouse. This time around is The Ramones, Suicidal Tendencies, JFA, The Melvins, Green Day, Rudimentary Peni, Beastie Boys, and The Dwarves.

Then my cover band is doing en Exploited set on Monday at a house show.

bassman
23-Oct-2011, 05:56 PM
Went to a costume party on Friday. I dressed like DMC, in his Adidas getup. Pics later.

Wasn't it you that dressed as Rudy from Used Cars last year? That was so simple, but at the same time such an awesome costume.

Anyway....nothing special for me this year. Again.

With the wife out of town taking care of her post-brain aneurysm mother, i'm left alone with the youngin'. Probably going to strap on the old proton pack for a quick session of neighborhood trick-or-treating, then come back to watch horror movies and hand out candy. Looks like my days of hard halloween partying are behind me now.

MikePizzoff
23-Oct-2011, 11:17 PM
Wasn't it you that dressed as Rudy from Used Cars last year? That was so simple, but at the same time such an awesome costume.

Yes sir, that was me! I went two ways with that costume - Used Cars and also when he dressed like that in Big Trouble In Little China as a disguise. "Boy, its raining dogs and cats out there!"

Mike70
24-Oct-2011, 01:48 AM
Yes sir, that was me! I went two ways with that costume - Used Cars and also when he dressed like that in Big Trouble In Little China as a disguise. "Boy, its raining dogs and cats out there!"

Used Cars is an awesome movie that i fondly remember.

"that's too fuckin' high!"

EvilNed
24-Oct-2011, 05:02 AM
Darth Vader isn't "evil." Just have him go as the Uncle Fester unmasked ROTJ version of Vader and all will be kosher with the missus.

A George Lucas costume--now that would be pure evil.

:lol:

Seriously tho, Darth Vader is just a misunderstood little kid with a bit too many midichlorians in his bloodstream. It's true!

I think hellsings plans sound awesome, I wish I could do something like that. It's been years since I actually took the time and planned something nice to go with Halloween. Horror film marathons, dim lights (or dark woods) seem like the awesomest thing ever. And beer.

Tricky
24-Oct-2011, 09:26 AM
Well this year due to a lot of friends having different things going on I wont be going to the usual big halloween fancy dress party we have, so instead a few of us are going on the ghost walk around the dim and meandering medieval streets of York, wearing horrible masks of course!

MinionZombie
24-Oct-2011, 10:01 AM
Prepare to go "WTF MZ?!" but I've never seen Used Cars. :o

bassman
24-Oct-2011, 02:24 PM
Prepare to go "WTF MZ?!" but I've never seen Used Cars. :o

It's funny. Robert Zemeckis in his prime. A few years before BTTF, I believe.

UqlJvGvtOvY

"too f*ckin' high!"

SymphonicX
24-Oct-2011, 04:27 PM
The good news is my halloween costume is well and truly sorted...

the bad news is that it's actually just my face without any make up and in my normal clothes.

bassman
29-Oct-2011, 02:56 AM
'We come for your daughter, Chuck'

http://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy115/bassmanfincha/100_0308.jpg