PDA

View Full Version : Stephen King - "Under The Dome"

Neil
07-May-2010, 02:57 PM
Just started this... So far so good...

Just hope it doesn't end with your typical King poor ending!

LouCipherr
07-May-2010, 03:14 PM
Then you might want to stop reading now. :lol:

It's a great book, I thoroughly enjoyed the read, but the ending? It's typical King.

krakenslayer
07-May-2010, 03:23 PM
Great book. The ending is alright, very apocalyptic... a little far-fetched, in a couple of ways, but pretty smart overall. The final denoument comes a little suddenly though, I thought.

Neil
07-May-2010, 03:24 PM
Then you might want to stop reading now. :lol:

It's a great book, I thoroughly enjoyed the read, but the ending? It's typical King.

http://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv352/sirjamesthegood/DoubleFacePalm.jpg

LouCipherr
07-May-2010, 03:50 PM
Sorry Neil, I don't know what to say. I am a major King fan - I own every one of his books, most in hardback, and have read almost all of them too (minus a few of the Dark Tower series, Hearts in Atlantis and Insomnia, which I could just not get myself into because of the sheer length of the book), so when Under the Dome came out, I was right there wanting to check it out.

I think the story is fantastic - there's LOTS of characters (reminiscient of The Stand) and there is some major bloodshed that occurs in the town, but without giving away specifics, I thought the ending - which seemed more like a big metaphor more than anything - just wasn't what I was expecting. To be honest, I don't know what I was expecting, but it wasn't what I got. That's not saying it's bad, it's just... different, and in my personal opinion, typical King.

I do like the fact that the book takes off like a rocket, right from the beginning. I thought after reading the first chapter or two we were in for a hell of a ride, and I was right.

It's worth the read, so no worries on that. Some people like the ending, some don't. I'm in the "typical King" category, but your milage may vary. ;)

Neil
07-May-2010, 03:56 PM
Sorry guys, can't risk reading any of this... One or two things I've half read have set of my "spoiler sense"... So I'm not going to read any more comments about the book just incase I read something I don't want too :(

krakenslayer
07-May-2010, 04:02 PM
Sorry guys, can't risk reading any of this... One or two things I've half read have set of my "spoiler sense"... So I'm not going to read any more comments about the book just incase I read something I don't want too :(

There are ZERO spoilers in any of the above. Nothing at all that could allow you to work out how the story plays out.

paulannett
10-May-2010, 09:08 AM
I don't want to say "avoid reading", because you may end up enjoying it. But seriously, you'll want those hours back...

I actually stopped reading it 3/4 of the way through, I just never got into it.

Tricky
13-May-2010, 03:54 PM
I enjoyed it, not as much as "It", but a lot more than "liseys story". the whole story surrounding the character Junior was the real page turner

RustyHicks
19-May-2010, 09:07 PM
I enjoyed it, not as much as "It", but a lot more than "liseys story". the whole story surrounding the character Junior was the real page turner

Agreed. Actually, this is one of the best novels King has written in a long while, ever since Dreamcatcher came out, I have been disappointed with most
of his stuff, but then I decided to pick up the Duma Key and give King another try, that book was great and so I moved on to Under the Dome, and was not disappointed with this as well. I hope his writing continues on to this groove