PDA

View Full Version : So I let my son watch the original Nightmare on Elm Street

Pages : [1] 2

LouCipherr
07-May-2010, 03:40 PM
Now, let me start off by saying that the original NOES was the one and only film that really disturbed me as a kid. It came out in '84, and I was the ripe young age of 13. My mom took me and a friend to the theatre to check it out, and I was never the same. I spent a week sleeping on a concrete floor in a bedroom in our basement because I was petrified of the "Johnny Depp" fate. Top this all off with a double-dose - the following weekend was my birthday, and what stupid idea did I have? Yeah, "lets go see it again!" Bad idea. Disturbed me just as much the first time as it did the 2nd.

Fast-forward a few decades. My son is now 14. I finally sat down with him and let him watch the original in all it's uncut glory. I told him beforehand how much this movie bothered me as a kid, and that I was only a year younger than him when I saw it for the fist time. I figured it was time he checked it out (he's a major horror movie fan, but being the kind of parent I am, I don't just let him watch "anything" uncut - it depends on the content of the film). So anyway, we sit down and watch the movie from beginning to end in a nice dark room on my big screen with the audio CRANKED through my surround sound system. FYI, we were watching the Infinifilm version, which has the DD5.1 mix on it (mixed well, too).

So we watch the movie, and when it's over, my son turns to me and says "That movie scared you that much? Why?"

It's amazing, but I'm having a hard time comprehending how he didn't find anything that "scary" about the film. He's only a year older than I was when he saw it, yet, it had nowhere near the impact on him that it did me. I'm not sure if it's because of the environment he saw it in (I have a 50" LCD, so it's a decent sized screen, and my audio/surround setup is pretty damn good for a home theatre) or if it's just.... well, I don't know! While some parts of the movie are dated, I didn't think the FX or anything were THAT dated to make him think "wow, the effects just suck in this"

I think I mentioned in several other threads that certain movies were just done in the right time in our lives and wouldn't have the same affect on us had we saw them at any other point. I'm starting to think that was the case here. Either that, or I was just a MAJOR wuss when I was a kid, I don't know. Most horror movies didn't have a scare-the-ever-living-shit-out-of-me affect when I was a kid, but NOES did. I can't explain why, I just know what it did - and here, my son at 14, is asking me why I thought the movie was as scary as it was to me.

I was pretty surprised to say the least.

To be honest, I can't think of one movie that has bothered him so much that it completely freaked him out. I wonder why that is? I mean, we do watch a lot of horror movies, and he checks out a lot of SyFy flicks (I know, 99% of them suck, but still, he gets a kick out of 'em) - do you think it's a desensitization issue? Or perhaps he's just not moved by scary flicks?

I'm sorta baffled by this one.

krakenslayer
07-May-2010, 03:53 PM
Hmm... it could be that NoES isn't that far removed from movies you'd see on the Sci-Fi channel.

It could also be that you were caught kind of unawares the first time you saw it, whereas your son has probably been told time and time again how scary it was and has imagined something much more disturbing than any movie could deliver on.

Or maybe he was a little scared by it, but is now too far into his teenage years and full of bravado to admit it to his dad.

fulci fan
07-May-2010, 04:02 PM
NOES was made to scare little girls (just messing with ya) :lol:

I can't believe he is in high-school. That is insane. Just think, in 4 years he will be an adult. How is that for scary?

Terran
07-May-2010, 04:09 PM
Hes prolly seen much "scarier" and violent things that you are just unaware of.

but being the kind of parent I am, I don't just let him watch "anything" uncut
My parents would have said the same thing but they were completely incapable of actually carrying out this claim. I mean hell, by the time I was in third grade they couldnt get me to do anything. They were incapable of punishing me as well, would take all my belongings, lock me in my room, send me to bed without supper, spank me, yet my responce to this was *hmm now I can do whatever I want no punishments left"....

Following is a digression from the topic.

I remember once (third grade or younger) my parents made me sleep in their room because I was being punished. I had to sleep under their supervision because I would run away constantly. I ask to go to the bathroom right as my dad left the room to get water. My mom says ok and then I bolt off...my mom screams for my dad to catch me but since hes in the kitchen by now he cant see me open the front door and close it(without exiting) I then hide in the closet next to that door. Eventually they are both looking for me outside I return to my bedroom and sleep under the bed. Lol they spent like hours that night looking for me in the woods near my house(a place I often ran away to). Man I was such a rascal (sociopath). :|

My point being the stuff he has been exposed to already is a different style or language of scary. In this sense I just dont this older stuff is likely to resonate with a younger crowd to the degree that they find it scary.

This all being said perhaps I am unqualified to give a meaningful opinion the only movie that I have ever found scary throughout my entire life was Lost Highway...

LouCipherr
07-May-2010, 05:02 PM
First - hey, fulci! :p :lol:

All valid points, and I'm sure you guys are right - it's a desensitization issue. He's probably seen more gore on the SyFy channel than he saw in the original NOES (barring the Nancy slaughtering scene.. :D).

It might've just been me too, like krakenslayer said too - although I seem to remember having seen a lot of horror movies when I was around that age. There was just something about NOES that freaked me the fuck out in a major way, and I'm surprised my son, who is darn near the same age I was when I saw it, was completely unaffected by it.

Strange how that works. :D

krakenslayer
07-May-2010, 05:06 PM
It might've just been me too, like krakenslayer said too - although I seem to remember having seen a lot of horror movies when I was around that age. There was just something about NOES that freaked me the fuck out in a major way, and I'm surprised my son, who is darn near the same age I was when I saw it, was completely unaffected by it.

I guess, a horror movie can be like a woman - what works for one guy, can do nothing for another. It's personal all down to personal taste and chemistry.

DjfunkmasterG
07-May-2010, 05:32 PM
I know one thing that scared the LIVING HELL out of him.

The night the zombies attacked the car when we were shooting Deadlands 1. He was freaked the fuck out and Connor had to take his place the rest of the movie. So if Freddy didn't scare him I sure as fuck will always remember my zombies scared the shit out of him.

:D:D:elol::D:D:lol::elol::D:D

Far as I am concerned my job was finished. :D

LouCipherr
07-May-2010, 06:41 PM
Well, yeah Dj, but that was a bit of a different situation. You're talking about being in a live situation with living (sorta.. lol) people vs. watching a movie on tv.

Either way, you're right - that scared the ever-living shit out of him. :lol:

Is it wrong I'm laughing at that?! :D

SRP76
07-May-2010, 07:00 PM
Doesn't matter what he may or may not have seen on Sci-Fi or whatever. Gore does NOT equal scary. Never has or will. And everything on Sci-Fi is just plain stupid, not scary.

Nightmare on Elm Street isn't supposed to be scary when you watch it. It's supposed to scare you later, when you're lying in bed in the pitch black. When you're about to fall asleep, and dream, where the villain lives.

Bust in on him about half an hour after he goes to bed, and see what happens. You'll see if he's actually afraid or not.

DjfunkmasterG
07-May-2010, 07:05 PM
Doesn't matter what he may or may not have seen on Sci-Fi or whatever. Gore does NOT equal scary. Never has or will. And everything on Sci-Fi is just plain stupid, not scary.

Nightmare on Elm Street isn't supposed to be scary when you watch it. It's supposed to scare you later, when you're lying in bed in the pitch black. When you're about to fall asleep, and dream, where the villain lives.

Bust in on him about half an hour after he goes to bed, and see what happens. You'll see if he's actually afraid or not.

OH HELL YES LOU!

DO THAT... PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY SET YOUR CAMERA TO NIGHT VISION MODE AND FILM IT!

Then share it with us here on HPotD :lol::elol:

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:04 PM ----------

Well, yeah Dj, but that was a bit of a different situation. You're talking about being in a live situation with living (sorta.. lol) people vs. watching a movie on tv.

Nope... I giggle all the time at that.

darth los
07-May-2010, 07:11 PM

Of course not. You're supposes to laugh at things that embarass your kids.

Think of it as the equalizer for all the shit they put you through as a parent but are oblivious to.

:cool:

LouCipherr
07-May-2010, 07:18 PM

Then I have some short-circuits somewhere, 'cause not only did it scare me later, it scared me while I was in the theatre watching it. :lol:

Of course not. You're supposes to laugh at things that embarass your kids.

Think of it as the equalizer for all the shit they put you through as a parent but are oblivious to.

lmfao, you just went up 10 notches on my likeability scale. :D

SRP76
07-May-2010, 07:42 PM
Whoa, wait.

He's 14, right? Well, DON'T look at him when you come charging in. At that age, he may be doing something you'd rather not witness. That slipped my mind earlier.

krakenslayer
07-May-2010, 07:45 PM
Whoa, wait.

He's 14, right? Well, DON'T look at him when you come charging in. At that age, he may be doing something you'd rather not witness. That slipped my mind earlier.

Yeah, and if you capture him doing it on camera you might even get arrested. :lol:

bassman
07-May-2010, 07:51 PM
I first saw Nightmare around that age and it never really scared me, either. I've been saying for years that it's actually a shit film and somehow people forgive it...

LouCipherr
07-May-2010, 07:55 PM
Yeah, and if you capture him doing it on camera you might even get arrested. :lol:

Shit, I never thought of that! Goddammit, we had a good plan going here and you guys had to ruin it with this! :lol: :lol:

krakenslayer
07-May-2010, 08:14 PM
Shit, I never thought of that! Goddammit, we had a good plan going here and you guys had to ruin it with this! :lol: :lol:

Tie his right hand to the bed beforehand, that way not only do you avoid any potential self-abuse-related embarassment, but you'll increase his terror level significantly when you charge screaming into his room wearing a Freddy glove and he can't get away! :elol:

Mr.G
07-May-2010, 11:08 PM
I first saw Nightmare around that age and it never really scared me, either. I've been saying for years that it's actually a shit film and somehow people forgive it...

I usually agree with you but can't on NOES. It was pretty original for 1984 and had a memorable lead villian. Freddy is up there with Jason and Mike Myers as generally known slashers.

I remember watching it at my aunt's on VHS and we were terrified.

fulci fan
07-May-2010, 11:45 PM
Shit, man. I saw NOES when I was about 8 or 9 and it didn't bother me at all. I guess my dreams have always been scarier than movies.

I think that nowadays, kids are afraid of things that might actually be real. That is why you have seen a lot of the Cannibal Holocaust style or "see it as it happened" style films (i.e. Cloverfield, Blair Witch, Paranormal Activity, Quarantine, etc.). That is what kids find scary today.

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:41 PM ----------

I agree. Teeny bopper film made by Wes. That is all he makes. I just don't see why this film has the following it does. At least it is somewhat original and does not rip off of 'Bay of Blood' like his hockey masked friend. :shifty:

krakenslayer
07-May-2010, 11:58 PM
I agree. Teeny bopper film made by Wes. That is all he makes. I just don't see why this film has the following it does. At least it is somewhat original and does not rip off of 'Bay of Blood' like his hockey masked friend. :shifty:

The Last House on the Left and The Hills Have Eyes were not teeny bopper films. I'm sure he made some other serious horror flicks in the late 80s and early 90s, before Scream, but I can't remember offhand... I always get mixed up between the 80s outputs of Wes Craven and Tobe Hooper. They kind of blend together for me, for some reason...

MikePizzoff
09-May-2010, 11:48 AM
I was born in 1984, so the first time I saw Nightmare was around the age of 4. I can remember MANY sleepless nights due to that film, all through my youth; every time I would watch it, I'd get the shit scared out of me all over again, up until about age 11. It could be a 90 degree summer night and I'd still be hiding under the blankets in my room, sweating bullets.

Anyway, that sucks that your son isn't into it. I show my little brother 80's horror movies that scared the shit out of me, and they have the same effect on him as they did on me. It's probably just that your son has a different mindset on things than you do/did.

DjfunkmasterG
09-May-2010, 03:56 PM
I was born in 1984, so the first time I saw Nightmare was around the age of 4. I can remember MANY sleepless nights due to that film, all through my youth; every time I would watch it, I'd get the shit scared out of me all over again, up until about age 11. It could be a 90 degree summer night and I'd still be hiding under the blankets in my room, sweating bullets.

Anyway, that sucks that your son isn't into it. I show my little brother 80's horror movies that scared the shit out of me, and they have the same effect on him as they did on me. It's probably just that your son has a different mindset on things than you do/did.

His son thinks we are ancient because we were born in 1971. When showed an Atari 2600 Game his only comment I believe was something like... "The Graphics Suck."

MinionZombie
09-May-2010, 06:43 PM
His son thinks we are ancient because we were born in 1971. When showed an Atari 2600 Game his only comment I believe was something like... "The Graphics Suck."
You need to smack some respect into the boy. :elol:

I too was born in 1984, although the first time I saw ANOES was when I was over a friend's house for the night and we watched ANOES 1 & 3, which was - at the time - kinda rebellious in a mild way cos my mum absolutely didn't want me watching that movie, haha!

I remember dropping a hint that Poltergeist was on one time, and lol ... my Mum didn't like that, and barred me from watching it, lol.

Anyway, can't remember when I saw ANOES for the first time, but I was 11 or 12 at the time ... while relatively late compared to some of you lot, my first horror flick was at age 9 (Alien, closely followed by The Fly 2 ... but those were part sci-fi as well, so it was a dip of the toe into the genre ... whereas ANOES is full-blown gory horror).

Where was I going with this? Who knows...

Tricky
09-May-2010, 07:08 PM
I didnt see nightmare on elm street till my late teens even though I was born in 1982, but as I said recently in another thread on the subject it had dated horribly by then in terms of special effects & the acting was pretty poor, plus like MZ said it always felt rebellious seeing a film like that when you were younger, but if you watch it when your older it doesnt have that same impact, the forbidden fruit type thing!

The films I did see when I was a kid/in my early teens that scared me were The Thing (which still does), An American werewolf in London, The Tommyknockers (dont know why that scared me, it was just the beginning bit when that woman turns round in the woods), Salems Lot (still cant sleep with the curtains open), "it", In the mouth of madness, Candyman, Lifeforce, and a few others I cant think of at the moment! My parents didnt let me watch any of those type of films, but when my parents went shopping or were both out working during school holidays I used to sneakily watch them, and seen as it was videos then I had to remember where in the tape the film had started from so I could put it back to that point in the hope my dad wouldnt know I'd been watching them :lol:

MinionZombie
10-May-2010, 09:55 AM
*sneaky video watching on the sly five* :D

I did the same thing with Basic Instinct ... although I watched it when my folks were in the other room. I had the door closed and the sound way down and just fast forwarded to the good bits. :sneaky:

Yeah, the rebellious thing was always a kick as a kid, I remember dubbing a mate's copy of Friday 13th (which was a dub in itself) but telling my Mum I was dubbing something like action or sci-fi. :D

The floodgates were open by the time I was 14 though. Day of the Dead, The Evil Dead ... a whole slew of gory gems flooded in to my life. Indeed I have very fond memories of my first time watching The Evil Dead - friends at school had seen it just before me (and all they said was "pencil in the ankle" and "green mashed potato" :p) and then I got it on video for a fiver from our local post office (my Mum technically paid for it, but they knew full well it was for me and didn't mind at all ... indeed I had a run of flicks from there, such as Mutant, and ANOES 2 & 3) ... anyway, watched it right after school that day and it just blew my mind when the final act kicked in and it was just balls-to-the-wall. :D

I also distinctly remember being stunned by the language in Day of the Dead when I first saw that at 14 ... not entirely sure why, perhaps it was the pervasiveness and creativity of it all ... but I'm not entirely sure why I was stunned by the language, considering I'd been swearing like a sailor since I was 8 years old.

I do remember being very impressed by the gore though. I flipped my shit when Rhodes got bi-sected ... again, that whole final act is just balls-to-the-wall for the gore hounds, but actually there are tons of great gore moments throughout.

Ahhh memories.

Like the time I first watched The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - by this time my folks were fine with all these horror flicks - I was 15 at the time I think, and I was making a 4th generation dub from the same mate who loaned me his 2nd gen dub of Friday 13th ... I sat and watched this fudgy 4th gen dub of TCM whilst having my dinner that night and man, that was a memorable time.

Sometimes I wish I could experience these moments again - like being able to see these movies as if for the first time with the same sly grin on your face as you did in your early teens. :)

*gets all wistful*

LouCipherr
10-May-2010, 02:01 PM

You need to smack some respect into the boy. :elol:

:lol: Hey, he can't help it he grew up with a PS2. an Xbox360 and the gaming PC's I build. He is kinda spoiled in the 'electronics' department. Dad always has to have the "latest thing" and he gets to benefit from it all. Lucky dog.. lol

Funny thing is, he did comment on how bad the graphics looked on the 2600, but he went through a few weeks/month where it's all he played.. but then he got smart again and switched back to the 360.

Y'know, speaking of movies that freaked my kid out (and some movies that didn't) - I do remember one flick that creeped him out, and it's quite funny. For those of you who have seen "Signs" - the part where they were showing the video at the kids birthday party - where it shows the alien walk across the alley way in back of the house - THAT freaked him out! He did NOT like that - then again, he was only 7 or so when he saw it, but that one bothered him. Nothing in the rest of the movie did, but that quick scene spooked him, that's for sure.

I still can't figure out how THAT scares him but some weird dude with knives for fingers slaughtering people in their dreams had zero effect. I mean, he was a lot older when he saw NOES, but still...

As far as Wes Craven and his films, I was seeing a LOT worse horror flicks in 1984 than NOES. I mean, c'mon, CHUD? Silent Night Deadly Night? Children of the Corn? NOES was far from a dud compared to some of its other 1984 horror flick companions... at least imo.

Ghost Of War
10-May-2010, 02:59 PM
I've been toying with the idea of showing some great horror films to my son, he's almost 10. He watched Army Of Darkness with me, and loved it, but that's more comedy than horror. I might just throw him in at the deep end and make him sit through Day Of The Dead.

And Lou, Children Of The Corn freaked me the hell out when I was a kid, I was 10 in 1984 and remember watching it at home. The first horror film I watched was Dawn Of The Dead, I remember vividly pestering my dad to rent it on Betamax because I though the picture of Roger after he turned on the back cover was awesome. It took me 2 attempts to watch it, the first time I switched it off at the first arm bite, but managed to sit through it the second time. Didn't sleep properly for months. I was about 7 or 8 I think, my Dad said "Well, I did warn you, son".

DjfunkmasterG
10-May-2010, 03:34 PM
I've been toying with the idea of showing some great horror films to my son, he's almost 10. He watched Army Of Darkness with me, and loved it, but that's more comedy than horror. I might just throw him in at the deep end and make him sit through Day Of The Dead.

And Lou, Children Of The Corn freaked me the hell out when I was a kid, I was 10 in 1984 and remember watching it at home. The first horror film I watched was Dawn Of The Dead, I remember vividly pestering my dad to rent it on Betamax because I though the picture of Roger after he turned on the back cover was awesome. It took me 2 attempts to watch it, the first time I switched it off at the first arm bite, but managed to sit through it the second time. Didn't sleep properly for months. I was about 7 or 8 I think, my Dad said "Well, I did warn you, son".

I never found COTC very scary. I don't know why, but it seemed kind of lame to me. But just about every other horror flick made scared the hell out of as a child.

Most of the horror from the 70's and 80's shaped me into the person I am today.

And in thinking about that I am not so sure that is such a good thing. :p

darth los
10-May-2010, 03:52 PM
As far as Wes Craven and his films, I was seeing a LOT worse horror flicks in 1984 than NOES. I mean, c'mon, CHUD? Silent Night Deadly Night? Children of the Corn? NOES was far from a dud compared to some of its other 1984 horror flick companions... at least imo.

That's a very important point. We have to think back to that time. It was the tail end of the slasher film craze and the market was absolutely oversaturated with trash.

Relatively speaking NOES is a masterpiece.

fulci fan
10-May-2010, 05:50 PM
:lol: Hey, he can't help it he grew up with a PS2. an Xbox360 and the gaming PC's I build. He is kinda spoiled in the 'electronics' department. Dad always has to have the "latest thing" and he gets to benefit from it all. Lucky dog.. lol

Funny thing is, he did comment on how bad the graphics looked on the 2600, but he went through a few weeks/month where it's all he played.. but then he got smart again and switched back to the 360.

Y'know, speaking of movies that freaked my kid out (and some movies that didn't) - I do remember one flick that creeped him out, and it's quite funny. For those of you who have seen "Signs" - the part where they were showing the video at the kids birthday party - where it shows the alien walk across the alley way in back of the house - THAT freaked him out! He did NOT like that - then again, he was only 7 or so when he saw it, but that one bothered him. Nothing in the rest of the movie did, but that quick scene spooked him, that's for sure.

I still can't figure out how THAT scares him but some weird dude with knives for fingers slaughtering people in their dreams had zero effect. I mean, he was a lot older when he saw NOES, but still...

It scared him because it looked real. That scene looked like it was actually filmed by a regular person that happened to catch a "real alien on film. Romero tried to do it with 'Diary' but fell way short. I'm sure Freddy would be scary again if they made a NOES movie seem like it really happened.

MinionZombie
10-May-2010, 06:56 PM
Your son freaking out at the thing in Signs reminds me of a time when I was a kid and it was around about Christmas time and ITV were showing some old hammer movie, or some kind of Xmas ghost story thing from the 1970s or something ... anyway, the clip I saw (as my Dad was channel hopping) had some old dude get pushed down the stairs - the guy gets killed, but we cut to a close up of his face and his eyes were WIDE OPEN and staring right into the lens - I wigged out and had to bury my head in my knees.

Ever since then wide open eyes, like scary wide open, have creeped me out. :shifty:

Now I bet some motherfucker's gonna post a pic of a guy staring creepily ... or that guy who can make his eyes bulge out.

LouCipherr
11-May-2010, 07:40 PM
Now I bet some motherfucker's gonna post a pic of a guy staring creepily ... or that guy who can make his eyes bulge out.

Oh, if only I had the time here at work to search out a creepy eye pic, i'd be just the motherfucker to do it. :lol: :D

Isn't it strange how one thing - the eyes in your case, and the johnny depp death scene for me in NOES - just sticks with you and never lets go? Even when we know now it's not real? It's interesting how one small non-event can have such an impact that years, sometimes decades, later and you still cannot get it out of your mind?

I guess it's as they say - "what has been seen cannot be unseen!" :stunned:

DjfunkmasterG
11-May-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh, if only I had the time here at work to search out a creepy eye pic, i'd be just the motherfucker to do it. :lol: :D

Isn't it strange how one thing - the eyes in your case, and the johnny depp death scene for me in NOES - just sticks with you and never lets go? Even when we know now it's not real? It's interesting how one small non-event can have such an impact that years, sometimes decades, later and you still cannot get it out of your mind?

I guess it's as they say - "what has been seen cannot be unseen!" :stunned:

Like This

http://www.ockstompingmeteorock.com/bulging_20eyes.gif

LouCipherr
12-May-2010, 12:26 PM
:lol:

Great Dj, now you've probably completely freaked out MZ. :stunned:

MinionZombie
12-May-2010, 05:55 PM

Great Dj, now you've probably completely freaked out MZ. :stunned:
Actually nah ... it was just odd looking, not freaky or scary.

Tough titties ... try again. :p

DubiousComforts
12-May-2010, 07:04 PM
my son at 14, is asking me why I thought the movie was as scary as it was to me.
You waited too long. By 14, everyone has already been exposed to too much mind-numbing WWF, Disney Channel and Michael Bay. You needed to traumatize him with Texas Chainsaw Massacre at 8.

LouCipherr
12-May-2010, 07:32 PM
You needed to traumatize him with Texas Chainsaw Massacre at 8.

Now THAT would've been a hoot - that is, until he decided he was so scared he had to sleep in mom & dad's bed for the next 6 years.. Not a concession I was willing to make at the time. :D

fulci fan
12-May-2010, 08:57 PM
Show him Cannibal Holocaust. ;)

MinionZombie
12-May-2010, 09:05 PM
Man alive! :elol:

First time I saw that movie was first year uni, so I was 18 at the time, I was promptly floored by it and then didn't see it again for several years - it's still visceral and shocking and really quite haunting, but bloody nora - just imagine showing that flick to an 8 year old! :eek:

EvilNed
12-May-2010, 09:46 PM
First time I saw that movie was first year uni, so I was 18 at the time, I was promptly floored by it and then didn't see it again for several years - it's still visceral and shocking and really quite haunting, but bloody nora - just imagine showing that flick to an 8 year old! :eek:

My urge to get kids just got a bit stronger.

acealive1
13-May-2010, 12:08 AM
NOES was made to scare little girls (just messing with ya) :lol:

I can't believe he is in high-school. That is insane. Just think, in 4 years he will be an adult. How is that for scary?

i was born in 1982........those films scared the shit out of me as a kid. but oddly enough, the jason series did nothing to me

LouCipherr
13-May-2010, 01:15 AM

wouldn't that be considered some kind of child abuse? :lol:

fulci fan
13-May-2010, 01:21 AM
i was born in 1982........those films scared the shit out of me as a kid. but oddly enough, the jason series did nothing to me

I was talking about Lou's son. I just thought it was crazy he was in highschool already. Sorry. :lol:

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

wouldn't that be considered some kind of child abuse? :lol:

Nah. It will put hair on his chest. Besides, It isn't that American shit for teenagers. :evil:

Do you even own a copy of Cannibal Holocaust?

acealive1
13-May-2010, 01:25 AM
I was talking about Lou's son. I just thought it was crazy he was in highschool already. Sorry. :lol:

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:19 PM ----------

Nah. It will put hair on his chest. Besides, It isn't that American shit for teenagers. :evil:

i know, i was just saying that series had me shook as a kid

fulci fan
13-May-2010, 02:43 AM
i know, i was just saying that series had me shook as a kid

Oh, okay. My bad.

DubiousComforts
13-May-2010, 04:53 AM
I did--an illegally downloaded copy which I ultimately threw in the garbage. Regardless of the film's obvious strengths, I do not consider it entertainment that warrants multiple viewing.

LouCipherr
13-May-2010, 01:56 PM

Own a copy? Hell no. :lol: Seen it? Yes, once, and that was enough for me. :D

It is kinda scary my little one is in high school next year. He's in 8th now, but next year is the leap to high school. The cool thing is, he spent 8 years in private school, so going into public high school, I think he'll be surprised at how things work. We shall see...

It seems like just yesterday he was starting school and now he's going into 9th next year. Where the hell did the time go?!

bassman
13-May-2010, 02:35 PM
It seems like just yesterday he was starting school and now he's going into 9th next year. Where the hell did the time go?!

So it only gets worse, huh? I've recently been thinking that it seems like yesterday I was changing my kid's diaper and now she's telling me about her day when I get home. Weird.

Can't wait to show her the dead trilogy, though. I figure I'll probably wait until she's around 10-13. Fun.:elol:

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2010, 03:12 PM
So it only gets worse, huh? I've recently been thinking that it seems like yesterday I was changing my kid's diaper and now she's telling me about her day when I get home. Weird.

Can't wait to show her the dead trilogy, though. I figure I'll probably wait until she's around 10-13. Fun.:elol:

10-13... SHEEEEEEIT... Show it to her at 7-8, instill fear in that child at an early age. :elol:

bassman
13-May-2010, 03:26 PM
Let's be honest.....Any kid these days will be bored with Night, laugh at Dawn, but maybe get creeped out by Day. So really there's only one film that could do the scaring...

AcesandEights
13-May-2010, 03:28 PM
I'm going to drop any offspring of mine down a well at about the age of 6. Leave them there for a day and a half to survive on well water and the dregs of whatever has been tossed down said well.

If they can survive that, then they might be able to endure a showing of Diary.

JDFP
13-May-2010, 03:30 PM
Let's be honest.....Any kid these days will be bored with Night, laugh at Dawn, but maybe get creeped out by Day. So really there's only one film that could do the scaring...

I don't know how your kids are, Bassman, but if I ever have kids (which God knows I have no intention of doing anytime soon) I plan on them being cultured little boogers. Nothing but the finest entertainment for them which they will value greatly. Plus, the benefit to having kids will be having someone fetch my beer from the fridge for me as well as getting free back rubs. :)

j.p.

bassman
13-May-2010, 03:34 PM
She's only two, so I can't say just yet. Sure, she could like the films. They were before my time and I still enjoy them, so maybe she will as well. But i'm thinking she'll probably laugh at Dawn. That's okay though....I laugh at it as well.:p

Besides....once she hits puberty she'll hate everything that I like and everything I stand for, so the chances of her becoming a fan are slim to none. Her mom really likes Day, so maybe they can bond over that when they're done with their Twilights and Harry Potters.:D

shootemindehead
13-May-2010, 04:41 PM
Now, let me start off by saying that the original NOES was the one and only film that really disturbed me as a kid. It came out in '84, and I was the ripe young age of 13. My mom took me and a friend to the theatre to check it out, and I was never the same. I spent a week sleeping on a concrete floor in a bedroom in our basement because I was petrified of the "Johnny Depp" fate. Top this all off with a double-dose - the following weekend was my birthday, and what stupid idea did I have? Yeah, "lets go see it again!" Bad idea. Disturbed me just as much the first time as it did the 2nd.

Fast-forward a few decades. My son is now 14. I finally sat down with him and let him watch the original in all it's uncut glory. I told him beforehand how much this movie bothered me as a kid, and that I was only a year younger than him when I saw it for the fist time. I figured it was time he checked it out (he's a major horror movie fan, but being the kind of parent I am, I don't just let him watch "anything" uncut - it depends on the content of the film). So anyway, we sit down and watch the movie from beginning to end in a nice dark room on my big screen with the audio CRANKED through my surround sound system. FYI, we were watching the Infinifilm version, which has the DD5.1 mix on it (mixed well, too).

So we watch the movie, and when it's over, my son turns to me and says "That movie scared you that much? Why?"

It's amazing, but I'm having a hard time comprehending how he didn't find anything that "scary" about the film. He's only a year older than I was when he saw it, yet, it had nowhere near the impact on him that it did me. I'm not sure if it's because of the environment he saw it in (I have a 50" LCD, so it's a decent sized screen, and my audio/surround setup is pretty damn good for a home theatre) or if it's just.... well, I don't know! While some parts of the movie are dated, I didn't think the FX or anything were THAT dated to make him think "wow, the effects just suck in this"

I think I mentioned in several other threads that certain movies were just done in the right time in our lives and wouldn't have the same affect on us had we saw them at any other point. I'm starting to think that was the case here. Either that, or I was just a MAJOR wuss when I was a kid, I don't know. Most horror movies didn't have a scare-the-ever-living-shit-out-of-me affect when I was a kid, but NOES did. I can't explain why, I just know what it did - and here, my son at 14, is asking me why I thought the movie was as scary as it was to me.

I was pretty surprised to say the least.

To be honest, I can't think of one movie that has bothered him so much that it completely freaked him out. I wonder why that is? I mean, we do watch a lot of horror movies, and he checks out a lot of SyFy flicks (I know, 99% of them suck, but still, he gets a kick out of 'em) - do you think it's a desensitization issue? Or perhaps he's just not moved by scary flicks?

I'm sorta baffled by this one.

Right so...Day of the Dead next.

LouCipherr
13-May-2010, 04:44 PM

Yes, yes it does. It's amazing - I've told many a person that I believe kids were put on this earth to make us realize how quickly time passes. It feels like just months ago I was carrying him around in a carrier and putting him in his car seat for rides to the store - and next year he's going into high school. It's frightening actually, the passage of time and how quick it goes.

I also think the older you get, the quicker time seems to pass, even if you take kids out of the equation. I never remember years flying by like they do now when I was in high school. Of course, I also never considered my own mortailty in high school either. :lol:

Right so...Day of the Dead next.

I think so. I think he'd enjoy the hell out of Day. He liked Night & Dawn, so this he'll probably dig too. We shall see.. I think he's ready for it though.

AcesandEights
13-May-2010, 04:54 PM
I also think the older you get, the quicker time seems to pass, even if you take kids out of the equation.

Of course it does. 1 year to a ten year old is a tenth their life and seems like an eternity. To us a year flies by like nothing and compares to a much smaller scale of the total scope of our lives.

darth los
13-May-2010, 05:03 PM
Yes, yes it does. It's amazing - I've told many a person that I believe kids were put on this earth to make us realize how quickly time passes. It feels like just months ago I was carrying him around in a carrier and putting him in his car seat for rides to the store - and next year he's going into high school. It's frightening actually, the passage of time and how quick it goes.

I also think the older you get, the quicker time seems to pass, even if you take kids out of the equation. I never remember years flying by like they do now when I was in high school. Of course, I also never considered my own mortailty in high school either. :lol:

And it's crazy how each stage the child hits has it's diferent challenges and pros/cons.

For example, when they're babies you can't wait to get a full night rest again, have regular sex with the missus and stop wiping shitty ass.

Then lo and behold they're toddlers and can walk. Everything's all good right? Wrong !!!

Now they're getting into everything. Remember when you couldn't wait for their first word and had that friendly bet with the wife on whether his first word would be mommy or daddy?

Now they won't shut the fuck up and everything is a question. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2010, 05:52 PM
I think so. I think he'd enjoy the hell out of Day. He liked Night & Dawn, so this he'll probably dig too. We shall see.. I think he's ready for it though.

Then we must skip the commentary this weekend and watch DAY of the DEAD with him. That would be far more entertaining and we could do a podcast right after with him telling us whther he liked it or not. :D

MinionZombie
13-May-2010, 05:56 PM
I never remember years flying by like they do now when I was in high school. Of course, I also never considered my own mortailty in high school either.

That's sounding awfully familiar to me these days. While I'm still a young pup to some of you here, about to turn 26, I've been noticing the years flying by faster and faster and faster - it feels more like a downhill fall to 30 down a slippery slope. :shifty:

I've long since realised I'm no longer invincible - as you do as a teenager - and I've been saying things like "my dodgy ankle is acting up" or "my back's stiff today" (both from injuries - the sorts of injuries you get when you're relatively young that just haunt you forever afterwards :p) ... so I feel like I'm getting older.

Heck, my mind isn't getting any older, but my body's leaving without me - now excuse me while I luxuriate in the knowledge that I usually wake up at 10am *Hedonism Bot mode ON* :elol: ... but I've been noticing that I'm waking up before the alarm more and more often, and that I can't stay up so late anymore.

The days of bed at 3am and waking up at 1pm are long, long, long gone ... but being freelance I can still afford a 10am start. :elol::D:p

Not asking for any sympathy, so calm down ... just pointing out the little shifts away from my formative years ... the ever-so-subtle hints that my body is giving me to "grow up already you numpty" ... but my mind, stubborn as ever (hey, I'm Scottish :D) refuses to budge.

Long story short ... the sense of time becoming an unstoppable freight train is indeed upon me. Time has flown by so quickly of late (and for the last 2 or 3 years), and has gone so fast this year thus far I started my new script about 3 months behind schedule. The penchant for procrastination that is pervasive in my generation doesn't mix well with the light-speed increase in how fast the years go by as you grow older.

Where was I? What's this thread about? ANOES ... blimey ... we're off topic now. :D

LouCipherr
13-May-2010, 06:34 PM
Heck, my mind isn't getting any older, but my body's leaving without me

I think that's the case with everyone, MZ. Put it this way: I'm 39, but I'll be damned if I don't still "feel" like I'm 25 as far as my mind is concerned. I do feel that I've matured and am more knowledgable, but my brain still "thinks" like it did when I was 25... well, to a certain extent. I can't say my memory is what it used to be, but there's a lot of other contributing factors that have affected that. :shifty: :p

Where was I? What's this thread about? ANOES ... blimey ... we're off topic now.

lol, I have a tendancy to do that in almost every thread. Perhaps it's my ADD kicking in. :D

Then we must skip the commentary this weekend and watch DAY of the DEAD with him. That would be far more entertaining and we could do a podcast right after with him telling us whther he liked it or not.

I actually think that's a good idea - and I know he's up for it, however, I think we need to do Tremors and Land first since they're the most requested here, then perhaps we'll expose my little one (hah! I'm calling him 'little one' and he's 14) to Day and see what he thinks about it. Actually, y'know, I think he might've seen it already - I seem to remember him talking to me about Bub a few months back and him shooting the gun and all.. of course, knowing him, he probably saw a cut version of it on TV, 'cause I don't ever remember him sitting down with me and watching it uncut. I would've been there for that. :D

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2010, 06:56 PM
I actually think that's a good idea - and I know he's up for it, however, I think we need to do Tremors and Land first since they're the most requested here, then perhaps we'll expose my little one (hah! I'm calling him 'little one' and he's 14) to Day and see what he thinks about it. Actually, y'know, I think he might've seen it already - I seem to remember him talking to me about Bub a few months back and him shooting the gun and all.. of course, knowing him, he probably saw a cut version of it on TV, 'cause I don't ever remember him sitting down with me and watching it uncut. I would've been there for that. :D

Oh I think everyone would forgive us if we switched gears, especially if we were subjecting your 14yr old to DAY of the DEAD

SIDE NOTE: Like Lou I am almost 39 (less than 2 months to go) and yet i still feel like I am 18-20. I can still party with or out party most people my age and younger, although I have adopted quite a tolerance for many of the items I ingest or... ummmm, inhale into my system. There have only been a few to out-do me in the partying factor.... however I don't know many who can guzzle an entire 2 gallons worth of Whiskey Sour and then throw a case a beer on top of it... let alone sit in an airport waiting for a flight and drink an entire fifth of Jack Daniels by themselves inside of 35 minutes.

LouCipherr
13-May-2010, 07:13 PM
however I don't know many who can guzzle an entire 2 gallons worth of Whiskey Sour and then throw a case a beer on top of it...

My wife might be able to rival you on that one, but that one only. Remember, you two (Dj and my wife) emptied an entire whisky sour fountain at our house before our 4th of July party even started a few years ago - then proceeded to continue drinking throughout the entire day, emptying the whisky sour fountain a second time!

All I can say is, WTF?! :stunned:

Buncha drunks! :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2010, 07:48 PM
My wife might be able to rival you on that one, but that one only. Remember, you two (Dj and my wife) emptied an entire whisky sour fountain at our house before our 4th of July party even started a few years ago - then proceeded to continue drinking throughout the entire day, emptying the whisky sour fountain a second time!

All I can say is, WTF?! :stunned:

Buncha drunks! :lol:

Oh oh oh... wanna comment on what kind of partying we can do?

"What movie are we watching again?"

'nuff said.! :p

LouCipherr
13-May-2010, 07:58 PM
Oh oh oh... wanna comment on what kind of partying we can do?

"What movie are we watching again?"

'nuff said.! :p

http://enderzero.net/smilies/fuckyou.gif

:lol: :lol:

BillyRay
13-May-2010, 08:11 PM
Deej, first time I met you, you had one of those LARGE glasses of Jack with you the entire weekend. You'd gulp it down and get it refilled at least once an hour.

As I said at the time, You SURE you ain't from Milwaukee? :D

LouCipherr
13-May-2010, 08:37 PM
Deej, first time I met you, you had one of those LARGE glasses of Jack with you the entire weekend. You'd gulp it down and get it refilled at least once an hour.

http://enderzero.net/smilies/drink.gif <------ Dj :lol:

bassman
13-May-2010, 08:39 PM
Hell yeah, DJ. Putting back the man's drink. It's amazing how quick those bottles run out, innit? :p

DjfunkmasterG
13-May-2010, 09:48 PM

As I said at the time, You SURE you ain't from Milwaukee? :D

Yep i remember that. It was an hour before the Running vs Shamblers panel we were on and I was already on my 4th or 5th Jack and coke, and that guy making them was putting 1/2 to 3/4 Jack and a splash of coke. I walked into that room and I was already fucked.

Kind of like when we all walked into Day of the Dead screening in St. louis.. everyone watched us walk in and knew we were all fucked up, especially me with that shit eating drunken grin on my face. :D

http://enderzero.net/smilies/drink.gif <------ Dj :lol:

YEPPER LOU!... YEPPER

Hell yeah, DJ. Putting back the man's drink. It's amazing how quick those bottles run out, innit? :p

You ain't kiddin'

Dude, when it comes to Jack and Coke or just plain Jack I can hammer them down. I wasn't in St. Louis but 5 minutes after the convention opened and I was already at the bar getting a jack and coke, nice part was after 3 of them I emptied the 5th they had at the bar, which was only half full.

In fact in my contract ryder for Deadlands 3 my agent has listed that at any press appearances Jack and Coke must be on hand. I love my agent.

---------- Post added at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

HEE HEE!

Dude you were FUCKED!

No other word to describe your condition that night. I mean i wasn't far behind but at least i didn't have to ask what movie we were all watching 5 times. :D

The wife is still mad at you for that eh? :lol:

LouCipherr
14-May-2010, 12:13 PM
Dude you were FUCKED!

No other word to describe your condition that night. I mean i wasn't far behind but at least i didn't have to ask what movie we were all watching 5 times. :D

:p

Yeah, the wife still doesn't look upon that little excursion with happy memories. :D

For all wondering wtf this is all about, my wife, her friend & boyfriend, Dj and I went on a weekend getaway in Seven Springs, PA - well, I managed to get so toasted the first night there, I passed out on the couch - then proceeded to wake up several times just to ask "what movie are we watching again?" and immediately pass back out. So ever since then, I've never been able to live it down. Anytime someone talks about partying or wants to mess with me, all they do is look at me and say "what movie are we watching again?" :lol:

WTF were we watching? Hitch? I know it was a Will Smith movie, but that's all I can remember.. :stunned:

MinionZombie
14-May-2010, 12:34 PM
All this talk of ANOES has made me go off and buy the double disc DVD.

LouCipherr
14-May-2010, 01:47 PM
All this talk of ANOES has made me go off and buy the double disc DVD.

Get that Infinifilm version of it if you haven't already bought it - by far the best print of the movie I've seen so far. Not to mention, they put the sound in 6.1 DTS! *drools* :D

Wow, it's only 5.99 @ Amazon.com (not sure about amazon.co.uk - although a quick search doesn't show the Infinifilm version - is that a US release only?):

Infinifilm - A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) (http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Elm-Street-Infinifilm/dp/B000GETUDI)

DjfunkmasterG
14-May-2010, 02:45 PM
Get that Infinifilm version of it if you haven't already bought it - by far the best print of the movie I've seen so far. Not to mention, they put the sound in 6.1 DTS! *drools* :D

Wow, it's only 5.99 @ Amazon.com (not sure about amazon.co.uk - although a quick search doesn't show the Infinifilm version - is that a US release only?):

Infinifilm - A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) (http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Elm-Street-Infinifilm/dp/B000GETUDI)

Yes, those were only USA releases, with Nick being in the Uk it would have to be imported. But you could be a nice guy and buy it for him and mail it to him. :D

---------- Post added at 10:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 AM ----------

Yeah, the wife still doesn't look upon that little excursion with happy memories. :D

For all wondering wtf this is all about, my wife, her friend & boyfriend, Dj and I went on a weekend getaway in Seven Springs, PA - well, I managed to get so toasted the first night there, I passed out on the couch - then proceeded to wake up several times just to ask "what movie are we watching again?" and immediately pass back out. So ever since then, I've never been able to live it down. Anytime someone talks about partying or wants to mess with me, all they do is look at me and say "what movie are we watching again?" :lol:

WTF were we watching? Hitch? I know it was a Will Smith movie, but that's all I can remember.. :stunned:

YES! IT WAS HITCH! :p Damn, dude you still can't remember, that was only 5 years ago

LouCipherr
14-May-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes, those were only USA releases, with Nick being in the Uk it would have to be imported. But you could be a nice guy and buy it for him and mail it to him. :D[COLOR="Silver"]

I have no issue with that - you want a copy of the Infinifilm R1 version MZ?

YES! IT WAS HITCH! :p Damn, dude you still can't remember, that was only 5 years ago

Do you remember the condition I was in?! http://enderzero.net/smilies/fuckyou.gif

lmfao

DjfunkmasterG
14-May-2010, 05:00 PM
Do you remember the condition I was in?! http://enderzero.net/smilies/fuckyou.gif

lmfao

Well, if you were just holding coovan for Zombie Man and not indulging in said coovan, you would have been able to remember.

j/k of course

MinionZombie
14-May-2010, 06:07 PM
I got the R2 2-disc edition (as recommended by DVDCompare - I'm always going there to check I'm getting the best version), which has different artwork, but it's the Infinifilm 'release' - just ported over to R2, you know. Just got posted off today actually, should have it next week. :)

Very kind of you to offer to send me a copy, but no worries chaps ... besides, being a Brit who's always looking for the best version of a DVD, I've been importing discs for years (a notion that's probably pretty darn rare for Americans in general as you chaps always get the best versions ... the UK sometimes does, sometimes doesn't ... and more often than not, months or even years behind you guys).

ANOES is the best of the series (natch), and I look forward to checking out the extras on it. I've not seen the movie in ages, come to think of it.

DVDCompare.net is a great site, I'm always using it to find the best version, or to at least inform myself - for example, I decided to just get the R2 2-discer of Once Upon A Time In The West cos it was cheap-as-chips over the more expensive R1 import ... which I would have bought over the R2 if the price had been the same, because the R1 has the original mono track (unlike the R2) - but I was willing to let that slide when it's like 10-15 quid cheaper ... besides, I've only seen OUATITW once before years ago so I won't really notice the alternate sound effects (unlike on The Good The Bad & The Ugly, which I've seen several times in mono on video, so the new gunshots are a bit grating ... but I can get past that).

Bit of a tangent there ... ... point being, my 2-discer ANOES DVD is on its way. The R2 version of the Infinifilm edition (being that Infinifilm is an American company only so it seems, I'd never heard of the name before until now).

LouCipherr
14-May-2010, 07:29 PM
I got the R2 2-disc edition (as recommended by DVDCompare - I'm always going there to check I'm getting the best version), which has different artwork, but it's the Infinifilm 'release' - just ported over to R2, you know.

Good, 'cause that Infinifilm release is the best looking version of NOES that I've seen yet. Like the original Halloween (fuck you, RZ! :lol:), I own almost every edition they've put out. I was very impressed with the Infinifilm version of NOES - especially the sound mix. Not sure how the stereo mix sounds (wasn't the film in mono originally? Dj? help a brother out here.. lol) but the DTS track is sweeeeet.

MinionZombie
15-May-2010, 10:35 AM
Good, 'cause that Infinifilm release is the best looking version of NOES that I've seen yet. Like the original Halloween (fuck you, RZ! :lol:), I own almost every edition they've put out. I was very impressed with the Infinifilm version of NOES - especially the sound mix. Not sure how the stereo mix sounds (wasn't the film in mono originally? Dj? help a brother out here.. lol) but the DTS track is sweeeeet.
Infinifilm:

English DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete
English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Dual Mono (original soundtrack)

R2 S.E. (Entertainment In Video):

English DTS-ES 6.1 Discrete
English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX
English Dolby Digital 2.0 Dual Mono (original soundtrack)

So just the same.

I had heard that the new releases of ANOES have some audio drop outs (missing sound effects/stings) at about four different points in the movie - but I assume this only affects the new mixes.

I'll be sticking to the original Mono. I don't like when a movie gets a clean up and the sound effects are all different - case in point The Terminator. The R2 version is missing the original Mono track with the proper sound effects, which I had no idea about when I originally bought it ... experiences like that led me to discover DVDCompare.net ... but yeah, the EIV 2-discer is a port of the Infinifilm 2-discer.

Tricky
16-May-2010, 10:24 PM
I tell you what did affect me when I first saw it and is still hard hitting now, the scene early on in Robocop when the gang murder officer murphy, I was horrified by it as a kid & its still hardcore by todays standards! :eek:

pOkZIay0J00

MinionZombie
17-May-2010, 09:53 AM
I tell you what did affect me when I first saw it and is still hard hitting now, the scene early on in Robocop when the gang murder officer murphy, I was horrified by it as a kid & its still hardcore by todays standards! :eek:

pOkZIay0J00
Damn skippy that's still hardcore. It's so brutal! :stunned:

Originally I'd only seen the cut version that had been on TV, then I saw the uncut (or at least relatively uncut - a UK video version, rather than TV version) Robocop and it blew my fucking mind - like when that dude gets nuclear waste dumped on him and he just staggers around for ages and it's totally fucking gross.

But yeah, that scene was shocking enough in the TV version - when I saw it on video I, to coin a hellsing phrase (if memory serves), royally flipped my shit. Seeing it again in that clip and it looks as if possibly the video version I saw wasn't even the complete uncut version still at that time.

One of these days I'm gonna get the R1 20th anniversary edition of the DVD and have a total nostalgia festival.

shootemindehead
17-May-2010, 11:23 AM
Clarence...

One of the best baddies in any film, ever.

What a wanker.

bassman
17-May-2010, 11:53 AM
I can no longer watch that film without picturing him saying "dumbass!". Thanks, That 70's Show. You ruined Robocop for me.:p

LouCipherr
17-May-2010, 12:56 PM
I had heard that the new releases of ANOES have some audio drop outs (missing sound effects/stings) at about four different points in the movie - but I assume this only affects the new mixes.

I dunno MZ, if that's the case, I never noticed them even on the new mixes, and believe me, I've seen the original enough times that I would think I'd notice them being missing. I could be wrong, but I would've thought I'd notice something like missing stingers/effects. Then again, I never watched it with the intention of listening closely enough to try and catch them either, so..... damn, perhaps it's time for another viewing. :D

shootemindehead
17-May-2010, 01:24 PM
I can no longer watch that film without picturing him saying "dumbass!". Thanks, That 70's Show. You ruined Robocop for me.:p

Are you sure he doesn't say "dumbass" in Robocop?

krakenslayer
17-May-2010, 01:31 PM

pOkZIay0J00

Now let's see the soft, kid-friendly version of his death from the Robocop cartoon show (0:00 to 0:20). Notice the crooks that shoot him still look identical to Boddiker and his crew, even in this version:

drxcfzikHos

bassman
17-May-2010, 01:42 PM
WTF? I had no idea there was a Robocop cartoon. It's pretty funny when you think about it. It probably came on between the Reservoir Dogs and Full Metal Jacket cartoons on Sunday mornings.:lol:

Neil
17-May-2010, 02:04 PM
For any horror film, the context/atmosphere you watch it in plays a huge part.

Had he watched it, by himself (without his dad sitting there next to him), in an empty house, do you think it might have had a greater effect?

krakenslayer
17-May-2010, 02:05 PM
It probably came on between the Reservoir Dogs and Full Metal Jacket cartoons on Sunday mornings.:lol:

Nah, it was on after TROMA'S TOXIC AVENGER (I mean, uh, "crusader") CARTOON!!! :confused::stunned::confused:

roq0lQ43dlQ

MinionZombie
17-May-2010, 05:53 PM
I believe one of the sound effects missing (from the new soundtracks I'd imagine) - if memory serves, read it online somewhere - is when Tina rips Freddy's face off. The sound of the face coming off is missing ... or a music sting ... ... Google it, there'll be info around somewhere.

Also - wtf - there was a Robocop kids cartoon?! I had no idea! I used to watch the live action TV show that would play in the UK on the weekends around mid-afternoon/lunchtime ... memories.

I do recall watching Toxic Crusaders though when I was younger - who could forget that jingle? TOXIC Cruuuuuu-say-ders!

I think I saw the original movie on late night Channel 4 perhaps, or Bravo, or maybe on a download ... but they were all cut, obviously. Finally saw the uncut version on DVD a few years back - speaking of which, I must give it another watch. Some of the shit that goes down in that flick makes you wonder, 'how did they go from that to a kid's show?!' :D

krakenslayer
17-May-2010, 06:16 PM
I do recall watching Toxic Crusaders though when I was younger - who could forget that jingle? TOXIC Cruuuuuu-say-ders!

I think I saw the original movie on late night Channel 4 perhaps, or Bravo, or maybe on a download ... but they were all cut, obviously. Finally saw the uncut version on DVD a few years back - speaking of which, I must give it another watch. Some of the shit that goes down in that flick makes you wonder, 'how did they go from that to a kid's show?!' :D

Three words: "turtles", "cash", "in". :lol:

Wyldwraith
18-May-2010, 05:32 PM
Can tell you what went wrong with the NOES-viewing Lou,
13yrs old is pretty much the outside limit of major Monsters-In-The-Dark type fears for kids, with 11-12 being the more median limit. NOES caught you right before you exited that developmental phase, but your kid has already passed that phase, so...nothing.

Now, if scaring him is the goal, and you're not quibbling about overall quality of movies. Show him The Strangers. Play up before you put it in "That this actually happened to these poor people."

If that doesn't do it, your kid is as desensitized as I am. The last thing to draw a twitch out of me is that once in a great while I'll fear some amorphous, intangible yet malevolent entity, possibly with demonic connotations, when I'm restless but dozing at 3am.

Come to think of it, maybe you need more nihlistic horror to screw with a 14yr-old. What about Clive Barker's stuff? Hmm, dunno.

JDFP
18-May-2010, 06:41 PM
If that doesn't do it, your kid is as desensitized as I am. The last thing to draw a twitch out of me is that once in a great while I'll fear some amorphous, intangible yet malevolent entity, possibly with demonic connotations, when I'm restless but dozing at 3am.

This. Even at the age of 29 I still sleep with my bedroom door locked (and the walk-in closet door always shut). My two greatest fears are zombies and demons (thank you very much, "The Exorcist"). Zombies are a bit unnatural for a fear since it's unlikely that the dead will ever come back to eat people, but demons are a completely different matter (at least to me).

Back when I was younger (and far dumber) I used to play around with Ouija boards with some friends and we'd do all kinds of crazy stuff. To this day I refuse to allow anyone to bring a Ouija board or Tarot cards into my apartment (along with minors and Natural Light beer) because of some crazy stuff that happened to me when I was younger (and a wee bit dumber). There are some good friends of mine that refuse to allow the things around them either (for good reason). The last Ouija board I had (back when I was younger and perhaps dumber) I ended up burning with Zippo fluid and burying the ashes. Long story.

Paranoid? Probably. But I keep a crucifix outside my door and several blessed rosaries around the place too. I figure it can't hurt because you never know for sure. It's better to play it safe than worry about the "unknown" out there.

As far as the original NOES, the only thing that ever really creeped me out about the films is the song: "One, two, Freddy's coming for you..." -- I can still recite word for word the entire rhyme/song to this day (and I suck at memorizing anything). When I was little my older cousin used to have a Freddy glove (talk about collector's items there!) and he and my cousins and I would play "Freddy" where we would run around outside and try to hide from him and be the last one to be killed.

Although most people would attempt to laugh at it or rationalize fear or put in some Jungian ideas into it, fear is a much different thing at 3 A.M. when you're all alone and in the dark than it is during the regular day.

j.p.

Tricky
18-May-2010, 06:52 PM
The last Ouija board I had (back when I was younger and perhaps dumber) I ended up burning with Zippo fluid and burying the ashes. Long story.

What happened fella? I've never done one myself but ive heard numerous people talk about bad experiences with them, but I've never know if they were just making it up to scare people!

BillyRay
18-May-2010, 07:01 PM
The last Ouija board I had (back when I was younger and perhaps dumber) I ended up burning with Zippo fluid and burying the ashes. Long story.

Huh.

THIS is my mousepad:

Neil
18-May-2010, 09:50 PM
What happened fella? I've never done one myself but ive heard numerous people talk about bad experiences with them, but I've never know if they were just making it up to scare people!

+1 Go on do tell!

DjfunkmasterG
18-May-2010, 09:56 PM
+1 Go on do tell!

+1 I wanna hear this, read it.... whatever.

JDFP
18-May-2010, 10:39 PM
Okay, I'm going to post a new thread on it called "Ouija Board Experiences" and put it in the General section because I wouldn't feel right about hijacking this thread entirely for that purpose -- and I'd honestly be interested in seeing if other folks have any experiences with the damnable doorways to Hell as well.

I'll have it up and posted here in just a few minutes...

j.p.

Tricky
23-May-2010, 11:25 AM
I caught that old film "The Entity" last night on TV, and although its dated & a bit sloppy in places, there are still some scenes in it that I find frightening & disturbing!

LouCipherr
25-May-2010, 05:29 PM
The Entity, as I remember, was kinda creepy when I watched it as a kid. Not NOES scary, but I do remember it being quite creepy.

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2010, 07:19 PM
The only reason I would want a kid is so I could show him/her proper horror films.

Still on the fence about the kid thing, but it's a bit late now in that aspect.

LouCipherr
25-May-2010, 08:07 PM
Hey, I'm trying with my little one. I'm trying to keep him away from the crap and show him at least some of the classic horror flicks out there.

OH! I forgot to mention to everyone - I let my son watch Land of the Dead the other day at his own request.

Dj, would you care to tell the folks here at HPotD what he told you when you asked what he thought of the movie? :D

DjfunkmasterG
25-May-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey, I'm trying with my little one. I'm trying to keep him away from the crap and show him at least some of the classic horror flicks out there.

OH! I forgot to mention to everyone - I let my son watch Land of the Dead the other day at his own request.

Dj, would you care to tell the folks here at HPotD what he told you when you asked what he thought of the movie? :D

IT SUCKED! :elol::lol:

MinionZombie
26-May-2010, 09:43 AM
There's something wrong with that boy...:shifty:

DjfunkmasterG
26-May-2010, 10:14 AM
There's something wrong with that boy...:shifty:

NAH, I think he is spot on!

Now with ANOES, yes I agree something is wrong. Lou, you care to elaborate?

bassman
26-May-2010, 11:59 AM
Poor kid. His father and DJ are leading him astray. :(

LouCipherr
26-May-2010, 12:22 PM

See what I did there? It was like being a basketball player. I had a wide open court and was rushing towards the basket for the slam dunk. Instead, I passed it to my buddy on the right and let him make the basket instead. :lol:

That could go on a motivational poster with a big picture of Big Daddy! I can see it now... "Teamwork - Letting your friend tell everyone your son throught the movie sucked instead of taking the credit for his good taste yourself" lmfao

NAH, I think he is spot on!

Now with ANOES, yes I agree something is wrong. Lou, you care to elaborate?

He is spot on. I thought it was awesome when he came upstairs and said "wow, that was bad. It sucked." :lol:

I don't know what you mean about 'something wrong' Dj - something is wrong because he wasn't scared of NOES wasn't scary and thought Land sucked? Help me out here, not sure what you're getting at.

Poor kid. His father and DJ are leading him astray. :(

:lol: Hey, c'mon, I'm having him watch movies that (some) people really dig. The original NOES was good (most people liked it, I know you didn't care for it) and you like Land, which I let him watch too - he just wasn't impressed with either.

What can I say, he's picky. :D

DjfunkmasterG
26-May-2010, 01:52 PM
Elaborate why he doesn't care for ANOES.

LouCipherr
26-May-2010, 05:06 PM
Elaborate why he doesn't care for ANOES.

He didn't not like ANOES, he just did not find it as scary as I did when I was around his age. He likes the movie, and since he hasn't seen any of the shit sequels, he likes Freddy - he just couldn't understand why it kept me sleeping on a concrete floor in my basement for a week after seeing it in a theater. :D

So to recap:

ANOES - Likes it, but doesn't find it scary like I did
Land - came right out and said he didn't like it.

So what movie should I show him next? He's already seen Night/Dawn/Day/Land, so those are out of the way. I want something that will completely freak him out for a day or two. The only requirement is no "gore-fest" movies (they don't scare him, and he likes blood & guts) and minimal nudity - hopefully none (yeah, yeah, I know I was looking at boobs at 14 myself, but it wasn't because my dad said "here, watch this!").

Oh, I forgot to mention - I did let him watch Die Hard this past weekend (he begged me to let him watch it). Now that was a movie he thought kicked ass, so I think he's on the right track. :D

DjfunkmasterG
26-May-2010, 05:08 PM
He didn't not like ANOES, he just did not find it as scary as I did when I was around his age. He likes the movie, and since he hasn't seen any of the shit sequels, he likes Freddy - he just couldn't understand why it kept me sleeping on a concrete floor in my basement for a week after seeing it in a theater. :D

So to recap:

ANOES - Likes it, but doesn't find it scary like I did
Land - came right out and said he didn't like it.

So what movie should I show him next? He's already seen Night/Dawn/Day/Land, so those are out of the way. I want something that will completely freak him out for a day or two. The only requirement is no "gore-fest" movies (they don't scare him, and he likes blood & guts) and minimal nudity - hopefully none (yeah, yeah, I know I was looking at boobs at 14 myself, but it wasn't because my dad said "here, watch this!").

Oh, I forgot to mention - I did let him watch Die Hard this past weekend (he begged me to let him watch it). Now that was a movie he thought kicked ass, so I think he's on the right track. :D

DIE HARD 3 - Then put him in front of the Exorcist.

LouCipherr
26-May-2010, 05:30 PM
DIE HARD 3 - Then put him in front of the Exorcist.

Die Hard 3, sure... but I've already told you, he is in no way ready for The Exorcist. That's not going to happen. :p

MinionZombie
26-May-2010, 05:44 PM
Die Hard 3, sure... but I've already told you, he is in no way ready for The Exorcist. That's not going to happen. :p
You mean he's not ready to see religious iconography stabbed into bloody sexual organs, carpet soiling and foul demon language? :D

Speaking of The Exorcist ... I've never seen it. Seen bits of it, but I never got around to seeing the whole thing ... ... interestingly my Dad had little interest in really seeing it either. When it first came out in the UK (before it got banned), when he would have been a bit older than I am now, he and his mates went to see it - got kinda bored, checked their watches and thought "see the rest of this, or get one in before closing?" - they stuffed the movie and went for a pint. :lol:

I'll see it someday, but I just can't be arsed ... too many other movies get in the way, so it's way down on my list of priorities. I know that's odd too, considering my penchant for video nasties.

Die Hard 3? Awww hell yeah! I LOVE that movie - I just wish the UK would get a fully uncut version - it's been cut to ribbons in various ways, for bizarre reasons sometimes, in the UK since it came out originally. I've got a heavily cut Pan & Scan VHS copy that I've seen a bajillion times, and it's now unwatchable to me (the combo of censorship and P&S'ing).

Glad your boy's got some taste then, Die Hard does indeed kick ass.

What about Predator 1 & 2, Aliens, T1 & T2, Tremors, The Fly (1986), The Fly II (1989?), The Thing (1982) ... now that flick, with it's hopeless sense of isolation, must surely freak the kid out. Turn the lights off and sneak off to "get a drink" or whatever, and then make creepy noises behind his back. :elol:

I saw The Thing when I was fairly young, about 11 or whatever, and I instantly loved it - but it also freaked me out, and has freaked me out in a continual 'drip drip' kind of way - it's an intimidating movie. That sense of isolation, helplessness, paranoia and so on ... you can't help but think "what if I was trapped there?"

Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

JDFP
26-May-2010, 06:45 PM

Are any of us ever really ready for "The Exorcist"? It's one of the few flicks that actually still scare the piss out of me. I'm 5'8" and convinced that if I had waited a few years before seeing it and the original trilogy I'd be at least 5'11" now. :)

I agree with MZ, I think John Carpenter's "The Thing" would be a great choice. What about Bava's "Demoni" ("Demons")? It has great gore, and it's a good scare too.

j.p.

LouCipherr
26-May-2010, 07:29 PM
You mean he's not ready to see religious iconography stabbed into bloody sexual organs, carpet soiling and foul demon language? :D

NO! :lol: He's been in a religious private school for 8 years, so that's a no-go at this point in time. :lol:

Speaking of The Exorcist ... I've never seen it. Seen bits of it, but I never got around to seeing the whole thing ... ...

I'll be honest here MZ, I've seen it a few times and I don't get the attraction of that flick. Demonic posession movies do not do it for me, and I don't get why so many people rave about it. I guess my taste is just weird. :D

Glad your boy's got some taste then, Die Hard does indeed kick ass.

See? He's got SOME taste. :lol:

What about Predator 1 & 2, Aliens, T1 & T2, Tremors, The Fly (1986), The Fly II (1989?), The Thing (1982) ... now that flick, with it's hopeless sense of isolation, must surely freak the kid out. Turn the lights off and sneak off to "get a drink" or whatever, and then make creepy noises behind his back. :elol:

I agree with MZ, I think John Carpenter's "The Thing" would be a great choice. What about Bava's "Demoni" ("Demons")? It has great gore, and it's a good scare too.

Well, we're a bit late on that one. Back when Dj gave me that HD-DVD player for my b-day, The Thing was one of the first movies I picked up (based on the fact that the remastering job on it is almost second to none!) - so he's already seen The Thing. He LOVED that flick too. He loved all the gore and stuff in it too and surprisingly, that didn't bother him one bit either (he's definitely a product of me.. lol). He felt bad for the dogs, but that was as far as it went. The rest of the time, I think he was rooting for the Thing to kill everyone. :D

I think Predator would be a good one for him to watch (and recently he's asked about it, so perhaps that'll be next). The Fly might be good too - although that one creeped me out when I saw it the first time (Brundle-Fly?! http://enderzero.net/smilies/puke3.gif That whole thing of him puking on that guys arm... omg, that was nasty).

He's seen Tremors, loved that flick too. Saw T1 and T2, dug those also. Loves Schwarzenegger ever since he saw Last Action Hero, which he loved also. :D

JDFP - Demons might be a good one. I'll have to check that out again myself since it's been YEARS since I've seen it last.

Aww fuck it, maybe I should just completely fuck him up and let him watch Ichi The Killer or some completely repulsive, sicko flick. :elol:

bassman
26-May-2010, 08:24 PM
The Thing scared the shit out of me when I saw it as a kid. Same with The Fly. I can't imagine showing those two to my daughter until her teens. Those are two of the few horror films that actually scare and entertain me. Both of which are remakes. Weird...

LouCipherr
26-May-2010, 08:27 PM
The Thing scared the shit out of me when I saw it as a kid. Same with The Fly. I can't imagine showing those two to my daughter until her teens. Those are two of the few horror films that actually scare and entertain me. Both of which are remakes. Weird...

Same here, man. The first time I saw The Thing and that dogs mouth ripped open, that was it. I didn't know WTF was going on, but I didn't like it! Still stayed glued to the TV though... go figure. :D

Tricky
26-May-2010, 08:31 PM
The Thing (1982) ... now that flick, with it's hopeless sense of isolation, must surely freak the kid out. Turn the lights off and sneak off to "get a drink" or whatever, and then make creepy noises behind his back. :elol:

I saw The Thing when I was fairly young, about 11 or whatever, and I instantly loved it - but it also freaked me out, and has freaked me out in a continual 'drip drip' kind of way - it's an intimidating movie. That sense of isolation, helplessness, paranoia and so on ... you can't help but think "what if I was trapped there?"

Makes my skin crawl just thinking about it.

I was a similar age when I first saw that, this creepy bugger still makes my skin crawl :eek:

http://www.fullhalloween.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/john-carpenters-the-thing-neck-stretch-spider-head.jpg

Awesome film

JDFP
26-May-2010, 08:44 PM
Same here, man. The first time I saw The Thing and that dogs mouth ripped open, that was it. I didn't know WTF was going on, but I didn't like it! Still stayed glued to the TV though... go figure. :D

You know, one of the most awesome things about "The Thing" (Carpenter) is Morricone's soundtrack. It makes the movie even superior than the awesomeness that it already is. The music just helps to build to a level of dread/isolation/cold that is presented.

Like all movies worth their weight of merit, the soundtrack usually helps build their greatness.:cool:

j.p.

DjfunkmasterG
26-May-2010, 10:12 PM
Dude, why don't you show him that Masters of HORROR Episode that got banned. Can't remember the name of it, but the one with the fetuses running down the creek.

MinionZombie
27-May-2010, 10:10 AM
Dude, why don't you show him that Masters of HORROR Episode that got banned. Can't remember the name of it, but the one with the fetuses running down the creek.
Eww yeah, that one wigged me out good and proper. It's got Billy Drago in it too.

Speaking of movies that fuck you up - I saw "August Underground" a while back ... ... and although I knew it was 100% fake, it was just so grotty and repulsive. I only made it about 27 minutes through the sequel August Underground Mordum (if memory serves on the title) and it made me feel actually queasy ... more the on-screen happenings, but perhaps a smidge from the shaky cam stuff.

It's exceptionally and utterly rare for me to stop watching a movie and then never go back to it for a reason other than "this is crap" ... in fact, I think August Underground Mordum is the only movie that has ever successfully made me turn it off.

Oh wait - tell a lie - there was also Hellraiser 2. I think it was the bit with the maggots on the arm ... because I was eating my lunch at the time, so that wasn't the wisest idea of mine. :lol:

LouCipherr
27-May-2010, 12:24 PM

I believe that was "Imprint" and was done by Takashi Miike, who also did Ichi The Killer. :D I've seen it, and it's vicious to watch in some places, but that shit is like torture porn. No thanks. :lol:

This coming from the dude who has YET to watch Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns" Masters of Horror episode - and he even owns the DVD! I still say that episode is as close to classic Carpenter as we'll ever get in these modern days, so :p :lol:

You know, one of the most awesome things about "The Thing" (Carpenter) is Morricone's soundtrack. It makes the movie even superior than the awesomeness that it already is. The music just helps to build to a level of dread/isolation/cold that is presented.

Like all movies worth their weight of merit, the soundtrack usually helps build their greatness.

I'll never forget an interview I saw with Carpenter (probably on one of the special edition or anniversary editions of Halloween) talking about Halloween and the first time he screened it - which was with no soundtrack - he said everyone told him "It's not scary" so he went back, wrote a score for it, screened it again and it scared everyone.

Soundtracks/scores do indeed make a film. They set the mood and really convey the feel of what's going on, even if it's subconscious. Dj and I really take that into consideration when scoring for his films. "How exactly do we set the mood for this section?" then we try and write what sets the perfect mood.

I was a similar age when I first saw that, this creepy bugger still makes my skin crawl

Yeah, that goddamn thing gave me nightmares - but it's followed up by one of my favorite lines in the flick. "You have GOT to be fucking KIDDING!"

http://enderzero.net/smilies/spider.gif

DjfunkmasterG
27-May-2010, 12:28 PM
I believe that was "Imprint" and was done by Takashi Miike, who also did Ichi The Killer. :D I've seen it, and it's vicious to watch in some places, but that shit is like torture porn. No thanks. :lol:

This coming from the dude who has YET to watch Carpenter's "Cigarette Burns" Masters of Horror episode - and he even owns the DVD! I still say that episode is as close to classic Carpenter as we'll ever get in these modern days, so :p :lol:

I'll never forget an interview I saw with Carpenter (probably on one of the special edition or anniversary editions of Halloween) talking about Halloween and the first time he screened it - which was with no soundtrack - he said everyone told him "It's not scary" so he went back, wrote a score for it, screened it again and it scared everyone.

Soundtracks/scores do indeed make a film. They set the mood and really convey the feel of what's going on, even if it's subconscious. Dj and I really take that into consideration when scoring for his films. "How exactly do we set the mood for this section?" then we try and write what sets the perfect mood.

Yeah, that goddamn thing gave me nightmares - but it's followed up by one of my favorite lines in the flick. "You have GOT to be fucking KIDDING!"

http://enderzero.net/smilies/spider.gif

Good line, but it doesn't beat CJ's... "Fucking Figures" when he gets trapped in the shuttle bus surrounded by zombies.

LouCipherr
27-May-2010, 12:46 PM
Good line, but it doesn't beat CJ's... "Fucking Figures" when he gets trapped in the shuttle bus surrounded by zombies.

CJ's line is awesome, but that expression on Palmer's face when he delivers that line... just perfect. :D

MinionZombie
27-May-2010, 12:56 PM
CJ's line is awesome, but that expression on Palmer's face when he delivers that line... just perfect. :D
It's one of those great "exactly what the audience is thinking or even saying" lines ... because when you see that fucking spider-head thing going on, you are saying "you've got to be fucking kidding!"

Plus I'm arachnophobic, so it's even creepier to me.

bassman
27-May-2010, 01:18 PM
"You've got to be f*cking kidding!" is funny, but I've always prefered Russell's "Yeah, f*ck you too!" at the end. Just when they could have dropped an Arnold-style cheese ball, they come out with something believable yet still funny...

LouCipherr
27-May-2010, 03:25 PM
"You've got to be f*cking kidding!" is funny, but I've always prefered Russell's "Yeah, f*ck you too!" at the end. Just when they could have dropped an Arnold-style cheese ball, they come out with something believable yet still funny...

Yeah, that is classic too. That whole movie is just filled with too much awesomeness in one package. :D

MinionZombie
27-May-2010, 04:52 PM

Good point, Sir. I love that line - it's brilliantly blunt. :D

LouCipherr
28-May-2010, 12:19 PM
Well, it looks like Predator is gonna be next unless someone has another suggestion (be quiet Dj, no Takashi Miike suggestions you goof :p). I enjoyed the hell out of it when I saw it, so you watch, he'll probably have an expression of "WTF?!" after he sees it. :lol:

Oh, btw: I have treated him to Alien and Aliens. He loved both, liked the latter even better than the original. :D

bassman
28-May-2010, 12:36 PM
Well, it looks like Predator is gonna be next

FYI....there's a re-re-mastered Blu Ray being released next month to coincide with Predators. No reviews yet, but the picture is supposed to get the attention it deserves this time around. The last BR left much to be desired...

Anyway....Predator is a great film to show a boy. I remember being amazed by that film when I was younger. It's got everything a kid could want. Gore, Horror, Action, Humor, etc. Awesome film.

LouCipherr
28-May-2010, 01:49 PM
Anyway....Predator is a great film to show a boy. I remember being amazed by that film when I was younger. It's got everything a kid could want. Gore, Horror, Action, Humor, etc. Awesome film.

Cool, I'll have to check in on the new BR release. If they did a good job on the remastering, I will definitely have to add it to my collection.

And I agree - Predator was a KICK ASS movie for me when I was younger (I was 16 in '87). Plus, it had Ah-Nold in it, and I remember when I saw Carl Weathers it seemed like a long while since I saw him on screen and all I could think was, damn! this dude has been shootin' 'roids or something, 'cause last time I saw him he wasn't THAT goddamn big! :stunned:

bassman
28-May-2010, 01:56 PM
last time I saw him he wasn't THAT goddamn big! :stunned:

Apollo Creed in Rocky - Rocky 4?:p

Weather's greatest performance will always be Chubbs in Happy Gilmore.

"They wouldn't let me play on the Pro Tour anymore..."

"Ah...I'm sorry. Is it because you're black?"

"Hell no!! Damn alligator BIT my hand off!!!"

LouCipherr
28-May-2010, 02:04 PM
Apollo Creed in Rocky - Rocky 4?:p

Well, yes, he was big in that, but for some reason, in Predator he looked like he was TWICE the size he was then. I doubt he was, but it just 'seemed' that way to me. Hey, I was an unobservant douche of a teen, cut me some slack. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
28-May-2010, 02:15 PM
Well, it looks like Predator is gonna be next unless someone has another suggestion (be quiet Dj, no Takashi Miike suggestions you goof :p). I enjoyed the hell out of it when I saw it, so you watch, he'll probably have an expression of "WTF?!" after he sees it. :lol:

Oh, btw: I have treated him to Alien and Aliens. He loved both, liked the latter even better than the original. :D

Hey... Lou got the title right. He didn't call it Alien 2 :lol:

LouCipherr
28-May-2010, 03:03 PM
Hey... Lou got the title right. He didn't call it Alien 2 :lol:

You knew this was coming....

Wyldwraith
29-May-2010, 02:46 PM
Aliens,
My all-time favorite movie of that time period. Remember being like eight and my mom taking me to see it at the Drive-In with a couple of cousins. Was blow-my-mind-awesomeness at the time, and looking back, is no doubt responsible for my macabre compassion-free interest in human suffering and the many, MANY ways the human body can be brutalized.

Good times, good times. I hope you showed him the uncut version with the intact scene with the two automated gun drones wiping out Xenoforms by the dozens-per-second, as Ripley and the Marines nervously watch the ammo counter for the two drones rocket downwards, one going empty, and the Xenoforms withdrawing with like 12 rounds left in the remaining gun-drone.

To my mind, it's one of the VERY best scenes in the movie, but its CUT from damned near every version you see on cable. Sad. A whole generation has an incomplete perception of the answer to the question "Why didn't the space-marines just find a defensible hallway and mow down the aliens by the hundred before they lost all their gear?"

That scene explained in ways no movie since has just how relentless and implacable the prowling enemy is. It gave the Xenoforms an even more insect-like character to their aggression as you watched them rush headlong into gory obliteration by the hundred without pause or hesitation of any sort. At the end, you're clearly left with the impression the only reason they stopped was because the Queen decided there was a more effective way to pry the Potential Hosts out of their "den".

It gives context and character to the scene where the Aliens come at them through the overlooked roof-tunnel above the medical bay. Demonstrating that this attack was different than the last. That the Xenoforms had "learned" from their previous failure and adapted their strategy accordingly.

The most perfect element was they didn't ruin the gun-drone scene when it would've been so easy to. Many movies would've had the drones run dry, followed immediately by alien vs marine conflict. Instead they perfectly preserved the sense that powerful as they are, the Xenoform Hive is not infallible.

It's the one time and ONLY one time in the movie where we see a major failure on the part of the Xenoforms in their conflict with the space-marines. Without that scene the Aliens seem far more all-knowing and even too-perfect. Without that scene you lose the feel that no matter how deadly they may be to humans, the Xenoforms are simply highly intelligent animals, as opposed to the malevolent hive-mind that seems intellectually on par with human levels of strategic forethought and problem solving.

Ultimately, that's exactly WHAT makes the Xenoforms so terrifying. That for all our centuries of progress, and all our advanced technology, the Xenoforms that massacre us every time humans and Xenoforms cross paths are "only" bugs.

That's it. Just bugs. H.R Geiger once said about them that he imagined in the environment the Xenoforms involved, they occupied the same approximate niche as ANTS.

Terrifying to consider, especially for an overly thoughtful child who COULD imagine a world where exponentially more powerful/dangerous lifeforms probably ignored Xenoforms in much the same way we ignore Ants unless they coincidentally happen to make a nuisance of themselves, then we/these more frightening life-forms simply crush them.

Several times over the years I've tried to write a science fiction or Sci-Fi/Survival Horror story that vividly captures the kind of environment where something like the Xenoform would be the bottom rung of the food chain. I've always failed miserably, because nothing I cook up ever seems to measure up to the World of Living Nightmares I envisioned as a child raptly watching Aliens on the big screen.

Sorry for geeking out on you all. Didn't think I'd ever have another opportunity to express my thoughts about this movie to individuals who could "get it".

Tricky
30-May-2010, 11:31 AM
Have you tried letting him watch "Apocalypse Now" yet? (just the original cut mind, I cant imagine any kid having the patience to sit through redux or even longer cuts, that comes when you get older)
My dad let me watch it when I was probably around 10/11 years old & I really liked it, although there was a fair bit of the dialogue that I didnt understand at that age, I just loved the chopper scene :D
Every kid should see "The Lost Boys" as well

bassman
30-May-2010, 01:32 PM
What the fuck is a Xenoform? :p

Wyldwraith
30-May-2010, 01:44 PM
Xenoform = What the Aliens in Sigourney Weaver's Aliens are called the first and only time they call the Aliens anything besides Aliens (during Ripley's debriefing by The Company when they basically mock and disbelieve her story)

In general parlance, it's the term that's stuck to those Aliens in the Aliens-based novels and comics.

bassman
30-May-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm fucking with you, dude. It's XenoMORPH. :p

And the gun sequence you mentioned....that will probably never be in a TV broadcast. It was never released theatrically. It's from James Cameron's Extended Cut. Same with Newt's family discovering the spaceship and "Ripley's Daughter" sequence.

Wyldwraith
30-May-2010, 02:52 PM
Huh,
Didn't know that. Just thought it was part of the movie regularly, that got edited for time on TV. It was in the Drive-In's version when I first saw it as a kid...come to think, only seen it once since, and that was on DVD. The gun-drone sequence I mean.

It's a shame, the other scenes were interesting (the discovery of the Egg-loaded Alien ship seen before it shifts to the Sigourney-asleep-in-stasis and being discovered by the salvage team scene was in there too), but they don't dramatically impact the feel of the movie for me the way the gun-drone scene's absence does.

How about you?

LouCipherr
03-Jun-2010, 12:31 PM
Have you tried letting him watch "Apocalypse Now" yet? (just the original cut mind, I cant imagine any kid having the patience to sit through redux or even longer cuts, that comes when you get older)
My dad let me watch it when I was probably around 10/11 years old & I really liked it, although there was a fair bit of the dialogue that I didnt understand at that age, I just loved the chopper scene :D
Every kid should see "The Lost Boys" as well

Lost Boys? Check. He's seen that one, loves it.

Apocalypse Now? I don't know if he's ready for that. It's not that the content is too much, it's just that... I don't think he'll understand half of what's going on in that movie.

"If I say its safe to surf this beach, Captain, then its safe to surf this beach! I mean, I'm not afraid to surf this place, I'll surf this whole fucking place!" :lol:

I think Predator is going to be next in line. He's at the beach this week (just "graduated" from 8th grade and his mom took him there to celebrate. I couldn't get time off from my new job yet to go with them. :mad:) but when he comes back, Predator it is. He'll get a kick out of that flick.

bassman
03-Jun-2010, 12:44 PM
just "graduated" from 8th grade...

I don't mean to derail the thread here, but do they give a "graduation" to every grade level now?? My little nephew just the other day showed me pictures of his 1st Grade Graduation. He had the cap and gown and everything. WTF? When I went to school and completed the year they were just like "Go home. See ya in a few months"...

DjfunkmasterG
03-Jun-2010, 12:56 PM
I don't mean to derail the thread here, but do they give a "graduation" to every grade level now?? My little nephew just the other day showed me pictures of his 1st Grade Graduation. He had the cap and gown and everything. WTF? When I went to school and completed the year they were just like "Go home. See ya in a few months"...

Depends on where you go to school. Lou's son is in Private School so they are more celebratory about these things, but when I was in middle school and graduated to high school and I went to public school they had a little ceremony, no cap and gown, but they did something.

LouCipherr
03-Jun-2010, 02:12 PM

Well, here's the deal.. he was in private school from K 'till 8th grade. I guess, since his private school stops at 8th grade, they do a graduation ceremony for them as their "big send-off" to high school. They had the whole cap & gown thing too. :rolleyes:

I pointed this out to my wife, too - i said "I only got onegraduation ceremony and it was for graduating HIGH SCHOOL!" so I don't get it either. *shrugs*

AcesandEights
03-Jun-2010, 02:39 PM
Well, here's the deal.. he was in private school from K 'till 8th grade. I guess, since his private school stops at 8th grade, they do a graduation ceremony for them as their "big send-off" to high school. They had the whole cap & gown thing too. :rolleyes:

My parochial school misadventures that ended in 8th grade were also capped off by a sort of 'graduation ceremony', though I just wore corduroys, dress shirt, v-neck sweater and a clip-on tie. Of course, that was like...over 20 years ago. So who knows what's going on in schools nowadays.

LouCipherr
03-Jun-2010, 02:51 PM
Well, perhaps I'll have to give him a graduation ceremony (cap & gown included) once I've exposed him to all these classic flicks. :D

fulci fan
09-Jun-2010, 12:54 AM
My niece just had a graduation from pre-school. Our education system is getting silly. :p

---------- Post added at 08:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

Well, perhaps I'll have to give him a graduation ceremony (cap & gown included) once I've exposed him to all these classic flicks. :D

He ain't getting shit until he sees a Fulci film. :D

LouCipherr
09-Jun-2010, 12:20 PM
He ain't getting shit until he sees a Fulci film.

The only thing he'll get from that is a headache! :lol:

j/k.. soon enough.. have to ease him into something like that. :D

Darksider18
09-Jun-2010, 01:53 PM
hmm... i would have to agree with the dating of horror films. NOES was scary ass shit back then because with the availability of special effects wasnt much in the 80's. but NOES pulled off a horror flick perfectly. and since then, directors really try to pull off all the stops to be the best horror movie director. they use the latest of stuff as soon as it comes out. and there are alot of horro movie buffs out there so as soon as the movie comes out, they are the first to watch it and they are the first to be amazed.

i think at this day and age, your son has seen alot of scary movies, movies that are even scarier than NOES now. and well... yeah im backing up your last statement that dated movies should stay in that date. NOES is scary to a small handful of people, (mostly comedy and rom com fans. lol.) but there are alot of scarier ones now.

MinionZombie
09-Jun-2010, 05:48 PM

I take it he won't be seeing The New York Ripper for a while ... what with pussies getting toe-fucked and fannies getting stabbed with broken bottles and heads exploding and people fucking on stage etc?

Get him to Zombi 2 and The Beyond.

LouCipherr
09-Jun-2010, 07:30 PM
I take it he won't be seeing The New York Ripper for a while ... what with pussies getting toe-fucked and fannies getting stabbed with broken bottles and heads exploding and people fucking on stage etc?

Yeah, ummmm, lemme think about that for a minute.. NO! :lol: :lol:

I don't know if he could handle a fulci movie at this point. I have a copy of Predator sitting at home waiting for him to watch, but we just haven't had the time to sit down together and check it out. Soon, though... and I will post his comments afterwards. :D

Ghost Of War
10-Jun-2010, 12:11 PM
I sat down with my lad last weekend (he's 10 in 3 weeks) and watched Savini's remake of Night with him. He enjoyed it, said the zombies looked cool, but he wasn't terribly scared by it. Yesterday we watched Jaws, and he was way more scared, he jumped out of his skin a couple of times. He's asked me if we can watch Dawn next (the original), but if the remake of Night didn't scare him, what do you think he'll make of Dawn? Do you think Day would be a bit much for a 10 year old?

bassman
10-Jun-2010, 12:13 PM
If Night90 didn't scare him....he'll just flat out laugh at Dawn.:lol:

Day would probably be your best chance at scaring him again. If you think he can take it, of course.

Ghost Of War
10-Jun-2010, 01:12 PM
If Night90 didn't scare him....he'll just flat out laugh at Dawn.:lol:

That's what I figured.

LouCipherr
14-Jun-2010, 12:29 PM
Well, yesterday my son and I watched Predator.

A few things to note: he laughed at the 'camo' of the predator (the effects have dated quite a bit) but other than that, he thought it was a kickass flick.

The whole time he kept shouting at the TV "RUN! GET TO THE CHOPPA!" in Ah-nold's voice - and when that line came up, he was loving it! He liked Ah-nold's one-liners in this flick and kept saying "say another one liner, arnold!"

Overall, loved the film. Just had a sligh issue with the SFX of the predator's camo. Of course, with a movie that's over 20 years old, I asked him "what did you expect?" :lol:

Ok, now I need to decide on the next flick.. and no, I'm not showing him the exorcist! :p

bassman
14-Jun-2010, 12:33 PM
Ok, now I need to decide on the next flick.. and no, I'm not showing him the exorcist! :p

You could always show him Predator 2. Most people talk bad about it, but I actually really dig that flick. Not as much as the original, but it's a nice companion.

As for the predator's cloaking...has it really changed over the years? I think it's the same in the recent AVP flicks as it was in the first film.

If you really want to give him a laugh, show him the special features with the creature that was originally going to be the predator. Funny looking red dinosaur bird thingy makes me chuckle everytime. I believe McTiernan's response to it was something like "You're fucking kidding me, right?!?":lol:

LouCipherr
14-Jun-2010, 12:47 PM
As for the predator's cloaking...has it really changed over the years? I think it's the same in the recent AVP flicks as it was in the first film.

Yeah, i think it's pretty much the same. His problem is, when you're 14 and grow up on special effects like in Star Wars and a ton of other movies he's seen, seeing this blocky, squared off shape trying to pass for 'cloaking' kinda made him laugh. When I explained how long ago the film was made, he understood, but still had a laugh about it at first. :D

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jun-2010, 01:05 PM
Have you shown that kid any of the Die Hard films yet?

LouCipherr
14-Jun-2010, 03:19 PM
Have you shown that kid any of the Die Hard films yet?

Have you read this thread? :p

Of course I have! Well, he's seen the first one, which is the epitome of the Die Hard films, but he hasn't seen the sequels just yet. Working on it....

fulci fan
14-Jun-2010, 03:37 PM
Pumpkin Head was originally going to be Predator. Imagine that. :lol:

---------- Post added at 11:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 AM ----------

Hell, we live right down the street from each other. I can drive down and show him Fulci's glory myself. :sneaky:

LouCipherr
14-Jun-2010, 03:40 PM
Pumpkin Head was originally going to be Predator. Imagine that. :lol:

That would be wrong on every level known to mankind. :lol:

Hell, we live right down the street from each other. I can drive down and show him Fulci's glory myself. :sneaky:

I bet you would! There's only one caveat - I'm sending him home with you so he can sleep in your bed while whining "I'M SCARED!" :lol:

fulci fan
14-Jun-2010, 03:53 PM
That would be wrong on every level known to mankind. :lol:

I bet you would! There's only one caveat - I'm sending him home with you so he can sleep in your bed while whining "I'M SCARED!" :lol:

He's 14 or 15, right? He is a man now, he ain't got time to whine! ;):p

LouCipherr
14-Jun-2010, 04:53 PM
He's 14 or 15, right? He is a man now, he ain't got time to whine! ;):p

...but he has plenty of time to come to my bedroom door, knock on it, then say "Dad, i'm spooked, can I sleep in here?" :lol:

Actually, he hasn't done that in quite a while, but I think a fulci flick might send him over the top.

All in due time... :D

Oh, he's 14 btw. 14 going on 25. lol

bassman
14-Jun-2010, 04:54 PM
If he laughed at Night90, I think a Fulci film will make him laugh more than Dawn, but that's just me.

fulci fan
14-Jun-2010, 05:20 PM
If he laughed at Night90, I think a Fulci film will make him laugh more than Dawn, but that's just me.

Yep, just you..... ;:p

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jun-2010, 05:47 PM
Yep, just you..... ;:p

Not just him.

Seriously, Fulci is an extremely overrated hack. His movies have no meaningful plot or story because they are hacked together using actors who can't speak the others language and everything has to be re-dubbed in post production.

FYI this is more to life and movies than just gore. Hence why I keep the gore at a minimum in my flicks. My name is not Romero, and it sure as hell aint Savini. out of respect i keep it toned down, plus for indie films less is more.

LouCipherr
14-Jun-2010, 07:00 PM
His movies have no meaningful plot or story because they are hacked together using actors who can't speak the others language and everything has to be re-dubbed in post production.

Are you sure that's not his point? Fulci's I mean. Perhaps they're like Dead/Alive and Bad Taste - so piss poor you can't help but watch over and over again - sort of like a bus wreck on the side of the road. :lol:

fulci fan
14-Jun-2010, 07:30 PM
Not just him.

Seriously, Fulci is an extremely overrated hack. His movies have no meaningful plot or story because they are hacked together using actors who can't speak the others language and everything has to be re-dubbed in post production.

FYI this is more to life and movies than just gore. Hence why I keep the gore at a minimum in my flicks. My name is not Romero, and it sure as hell aint Savini. out of respect i keep it toned down, plus for indie films less is more.

That is your opinion. I don't watch Fulci's films for the gore anymore. I watch his films because in my opinion, he made the best movies ever and I love everything they have to offer. A lot of people hate his films because they don't make sense. They make perfect sense to me. If you think his films are all about the gore, then maybe you should read a book about him or something. :p

I can see why you don't like his movies, though. I actually did not like most of his movies the first time I saw them. It took at least 5 viewings of The Beyond and House By The Cemetery to love them. :shifty:

Are you sure that's not his point? Fulci's I mean. Perhaps they're like Dead/Alive and Bad Taste - so piss poor you can't help but watch over and over again - sort of like a bus wreck on the side of the road. :lol:

His films are way more serious than Bad Taste and Dead Alive. I am surprised you don't enjoy his movies for the music alone. :rockbrow:

DjfunkmasterG
14-Jun-2010, 11:24 PM

Actually the Cinematography in ZOMBI was nice stuff, and it was done in 2.35:1 and had a small budget like DAWN of the DEAD (1978)

It is just a shitty movie, like everything with his name on it. A chore to sit through. Plus he is a real SOB to work for from what I read about him.

He takes no input, suggestions, nothing he just makes this movie and doesn't care about quality.

Sorry but I prefer my films to have something that catches me and keeps me engulfed throughout the process... something even Romero failed to accomplish recently... so believe me it isn't just Fulci i don't care for these days.

Give me anything Romero Day of the Dead and back. Fulci stuff I will just take to FYE and trade for more classic Romero. :p

fulci fan
14-Jun-2010, 11:52 PM
Actually the Cinematography in ZOMBI was nice stuff, and it was done in 2.35:1 and had a small budget like DAWN of the DEAD (1978)

It is just a shitty movie, like everything with his name on it. A chore to sit through. Plus he is a real SOB to work for from what I read about him.

He takes no input, suggestions, nothing he just makes this movie and doesn't care about quality.

Sorry but I prefer my films to have something that catches me and keeps me engulfed throughout the process... something even Romero failed to accomplish recently... so believe me it isn't just Fulci i don't care for these days.

Give me anything Romero Day of the Dead and back. Fulci stuff I will just take to FYE and trade for more classic Romero. :p

I wouldn't believe anything Beatrice Ring says about Fulci. :barf:;)

LouCipherr
15-Jun-2010, 12:24 PM
His films are way more serious than Bad Taste and Dead Alive. I am surprised you don't enjoy his movies for the music alone. :rockbrow:

Well, I have to admit dude, I'm not like a major fan or anything and have only seen a small handful of his films. I don't know what to say, he just doesn't "grab" me. *shrugs shoulders*

I remember seeing The Gates of Hell WAY back when I was around 13. I remember thinking it was the sickest, goriest thing I had ever seen, but don't remember one bit about the story line. That's not to say I hated it or anything, but... I don't know. Just didn't do it for me. :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2010, 01:00 PM
I wouldn't believe anything Beatrice Ring says about Fulci. :barf:;)

Did I say Beatrice?

Plus anything she does say would count as it is her opinion.

She worked with him and if her experience was more horror than the movie itself thenshe has the right to voice her opinion about it.

I am sure you and Scott probably think I am dick to work with because I don't give you guys enough smoke breaks. :p Kidding aside, since I have been on a few sets and worked with local filmmakers as well I have formed my opinions about them as I am sure they have formed their opinions about me.

There is nothing wrong with being a prick if you're a director, but there is also a fine line that has to be drawn. You have to know when to be a complete cock and when to bite your tongue. Believe me there are many a times I had to bite my tongue and we all know I hate biting my tongue.

I complete respect your opinion that you love Fulci, but please don't try to persuade me into liking him too. My opinion of his work is that, its gory and has some redeeming value on the technical side (Cinematography) but his films don't click with me.

As many times as I have watched the original Romero trilogy I can go back over and over again to watch them so more and still be entertained, yet with Fulci films it is a chore to even get me to pop one of his flicks in the DVD player. The only Fulci DVD I kept was the original Zombie DVD release from back in late 99 or 2000. The rest of his stuff I sent to FYE for store credit to buy more Blu-Rays and HD DVD's (Back when HD DVD was still a viable format)

When it comes to Peter Jackson, I actually prefer Dead-Alive and The Frighteners, but LOTR I personally can't sit through, and I have tried. King Kong... was just too damn long, but the last hour of that flick was superb.

The only filmmakers whose work I can sit through regularly and constantly be entertained, from the early stuff to their modern stuff would be:

Sergio Leone
Clint Eastwood
Ron Howard
Taylor Hackford
John Dahl
Christopher Nolan
Sam Mendes

Those guys above have never let me down once, and I love their work and they are the reason I don't throw my hands up and just walk away from filmmaking.

I have other reasons too, like I refuse to let the system beat me. If I have to work outside of it so be it. However, there is a group of filmmakers that inspire me on a regular basis and continue to inspire me.

When it comes to going to the cinema anymore there has to be one helluva compelling reason to get me to drop $12.00 on a movie ticket. I think this year alone I have only been to the cinema maybe 3 times, the rest have been a wait for DVD thing. I think if more films were released that weren't watered down PG-13 Robot love fests I would probably go see more films, but everything I see advertised today... nothing is grabbing my attention and screaming this is must see cinema.

Now of course there have been a few times where I kicked myself in the ass for not going to see a movie on the Big Screen, Iron Man 1 and The Prestige, but otherwise I am not really missing the whole experience. BTW, it is not because of noisy patrons, cell phones or whatever. if I am at a movie and that shit goes on I will speak up and tell them to knock it the fuck off, but nothing is being released that is worth spending money on.

Maybe I am grumpy... old age will do that too you, but the slate of films released lately is just crap. Although I will have to say The Karate Kid remake was actually a great movie. Jackie Chan and Jayden Smith work well off each other and I think it will stand the test of time between origina KK fans and new KK fans.

LouCipherr
22-Jun-2010, 04:03 PM
So Dj, since I'm pretty open to flicks to show to my little one, what do you think his first full-on Clint Eastwood movie should be? :elol:

He's already seen the Spaghetti Westerns, so those are out of the way. I'm thinking more along the lines of Dirty Harry or even Gran Torino type flicks. I'm sure he'd love the racist shit in that flick.. :lol:

I kid, he's actually kinda sensitive to racial slurs, so it would be kinda funny to see his expression when Clint pulls up to a corner next to some black dudes and says "what are you spooks up to?" :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jun-2010, 12:37 PM
So Dj, since I'm pretty open to flicks to show to my little one, what do you think his first full-on Clint Eastwood movie should be? :elol:

He's already seen the Spaghetti Westerns, so those are out of the way. I'm thinking more along the lines of Dirty Harry or even Gran Torino type flicks. I'm sure he'd love the racist shit in that flick.. :lol:

I kid, he's actually kinda sensitive to racial slurs, so it would be kinda funny to see his expression when Clint pulls up to a corner next to some black dudes and says "what are you spooks up to?" :lol:

Hmmmm, I would say something like... In the Line of Fire or even Heartbreak Ridge

Then maybe Dirty Harry, but not Sudden Impact, the rape in that movie is kind of brutal and I don't think a 14yr old should be subjected too that

LouCipherr
24-Jun-2010, 12:45 PM
Hmmmm, I would say something like... In the Line of Fire or even Heartbreak Ridge

Y'know, Heartbrake Ridge seems to have had a resurgence with me. I saw it like a month ago or so on cable and have seen it several times since then. I love that flick. :D

"What did you say to him?"
"I said, 'dont give the prick the satisfaction', SIR!"

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jun-2010, 12:47 PM
No super harsh nudity, lots of great lines, funny, entertaining, and its Clint. :D

He will like it. Did he dig the spaghetti westerns?

bassman
24-Jun-2010, 01:00 PM
You gotta do the Man with No Name or Dollars Trilogy. Or at least just Good Bad and Ugly. After that throw some Dirty Harry, Escape from Alcatraz, and High Plains Drifter at him. I also enjoy Hang Em High, but that may just be me.

If he's got a since of humor you could put on Space Cowboys for kicks.:p

LouCipherr
24-Jun-2010, 01:15 PM
You gotta do the Man with No Name or Dollars Trilogy. Or at least just Good Bad and Ugly.

He's already seen the Spaghetti Westerns, so those are out of the way.

:D

He's already seen all the Clint westerens aside from The Unforgiven and Two Mules for Sister Sarah. His first Clint movie was indeed The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. Once he saw that, he went on a Clint movie tear and watched all his early westerns.

After that throw some Dirty Harry, Escape from Alcatraz, and High Plains Drifter at him. I also enjoy Hang Em High, but that may just be me.

Ohhh, Escape from Alcatraz! I forgot about that one! He'd probably enjoy that. I'll have to ask him if that's a point of interest for him and if so, I'll even watch it with him. :D

bassman
24-Jun-2010, 01:21 PM
teehee....missed that part where you said he saw Leoni's flicks.:o

I haven't had my coffee...back off.:p

LouCipherr
24-Jun-2010, 01:32 PM
teehee....missed that part where you said he saw Leoni's flicks.:o

I haven't had my coffee...back off.:p

That's ok, but yeah, he's already seen 'em. I was kinda surprised that at 12-13 years old, those movies would hold his interest like they did. When he first saw TG, TB & TU, that was it. He was a Clint fan forever. :D

bassman
24-Jun-2010, 01:38 PM
That's ok, but yeah, he's already seen 'em. I was kinda surprised that at 12-13 years old, those movies would hold his interest like they did. When he first saw TG, TB & TU, that was it. He was a Clint fan forever. :D

You must have caught him at JUST the right age. A year or two sooner and he may have hated them.

Leoni's loooong shots and all. Kids these days would hate it.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jun-2010, 01:53 PM
:D

He's already seen all the Clint westerens aside from The Unforgiven and Two Mules for Sister Sarah. His first Clint movie was indeed The Good, The Bad & The Ugly. Once he saw that, he went on a Clint movie tear and watched all his early westerns.

Ohhh, Escape from Alcatraz! I forgot about that one! He'd probably enjoy that. I'll have to ask him if that's a point of interest for him and if so, I'll even watch it with him. :D

Wait on Alcatraz, supposedly a nice transfer is in the works for the Blu-Gay edition.

LouCipherr
24-Jun-2010, 01:58 PM
Wait on Alcatraz, supposedly a nice transfer is in the works for the Blu-Gay edition.

I always hear that, but am usually disappointed once they come out.

Hell, I was excited to see the release of "The Man w/No Name" set, but once it was released all the talk of cropping and not-so-good of a transfer made me re-think that one.

I hope they don't do the same for Alcatraz.

bassman
24-Jun-2010, 02:13 PM
The Man with No Name set pissed me off too. I was looking forward to it for MONTHS, and then the reviews came out a few days before release saying that the transfer is pretty bad. I thought about getting it anyway, but in the end decided to stick with my regular dvd's until a proper blu ray release.:dead:

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jun-2010, 02:41 PM
Supposedly the italian transfers are the best but they have no english subs, but do have an english soundtrack and they are not region locked.

LouCipherr
24-Jun-2010, 02:46 PM
Supposedly the italian transfers are the best but they have no english subs, but do have an english soundtrack and they are not region locked.

Where would one pick those up? My interest is piqued. :D

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jun-2010, 03:27 PM
Where would one pick those up? My interest is piqued. :D

Google fucker! :lol:

bassman
24-Jun-2010, 03:29 PM
Normally I would say google as well....but in Lou's defense I just tried, and if you use the word "Italian" along with Leoni, No Name, etc....it just takes you to articles that mention it's an italian film. No dice on the italian cut.

Perhaps there's a dvd/br site outside of amazon that you could point me to?

darth los
24-Jun-2010, 03:31 PM
Yeah but he didn't know that cause he didn't even try. :lol:

MinionZombie
24-Jun-2010, 05:42 PM
You must have caught him at JUST the right age. A year or two sooner and he may have hated them.

Leoni's loooong shots and all. Kids these days would hate it.
Interesting you mention that. I got into Clint Eastwood movies around about the 12-14 age range, and I think it was just the right time. They did the Dollars Trilogy on Channel 4 - although annoyingly I missed the 2nd one, but got it on video a little while after - I loved Fistful and that totally got me into westerns *period*, as well as Clint Eastwood flicks.

The Good The Bad and The Ugly was fucking immense the first time I saw it and it's just gotten better and better with every viewing. After seeing Fistful for the first time around that age, I did indeed go on a big old Eastwood film viewing sesh for quite a while soaking up as many of his flicks as I could get my mits on - t'was awesome - stuff from all throughout his career.

Speaking of Leone - I remember watching Once Upon A Time In The West around the age of 13 or 14 and I thought it was ... okay ... I thought it was too long with not enough happening, so I only saw it the one time. Until the other week when I got it on DVD (when Red Dead Redemption came out - to further the western vibe I was feeling at the time) - anyway, long story short, I really dig Once Upon A Time In The West now - I think it was one of those flicks that I just needed to wait on for a bit more. It's happened a couple of times in the past, actually.

Oh hell-to-the-yes - Escape From Alcatraz. I saw that during my formative years in my Eastwood retrospective. It's a great movie, and really quite tense.

LouCipherr
24-Jun-2010, 07:24 PM
Ok, First I'd like to give a hearty "blow me" to Dj & Darth for the google thing. :lol: :lol: :lol: You guys can eat me! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Second, Dj, you have no room to talk you mofo - EVERY time I mention something to you be it in IM, email, whatever that you should check something out I get "LINK?" - Do I even need to mention the amount of times I've had to repeatedly upload utilities for you on rapidshare when you reformat your machine and need them because you're too lazy to back them up?! :lol: Dj, you just won the prestigeous second-time "EAT ME" award. :finger: lmmfao

MZ - I think I saw TG, TB & TU right around the same age. I believe it was my dad who made me sit down and watch it (he was a huge western/clint fan) and boy was I glad I did! Forever got me into Clint and his westerns like a mofo.

Yeah, I think Escape from Alcatraz is next. :D If he liked Clint's western stuff, he'll love Alcatraz. Besides, it's an awesome story in and of itself.

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2010, 09:12 AM
I hope your boy appreciates the time and effort we at HPOTD are putting in in deciding what he should watch. :D

DjfunkmasterG
25-Jun-2010, 09:32 AM
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Il-Buono-il-brutto-il-cattivo-Blu-ray/9130/

I stand corrected, no english audio. My bad!

bassman
25-Jun-2010, 11:53 AM
hrm....it seems to have no reviews or screenshots. Not sure about that.

Someone wanna be the guinea pig and let us know how it is?

LouCipherr
25-Jun-2010, 12:28 PM
I stand corrected, no english audio. My bad!

You just won the second-time :finger: award for misleading us. :lol: :lol: :p

hrm....it seems to have no reviews or screenshots. Not sure about that.

Someone wanna be the guinea pig and let us know how it is?

I vote Dj, since he's a smartass and mislead us in the first place. :lol: :D

I hope your boy appreciates the time and effort we at HPOTD are putting in in deciding what he should watch. :D

Believe it or not, he knows about this thread. I've been filling him in on what we've been talking about and he's enjoyed all the movies that have been suggested that we've actually sat down to watch, so even if it's unspoken, I think he does. :D

DjfunkmasterG
25-Jun-2010, 01:48 PM
You just won the second-time :finger: award for misleading us. :lol: :lol: :p

I vote Dj, since he's a smartass and mislead us in the first place. :lol: :D

Believe it or not, he knows about this thread. I've been filling him in on what we've been talking about and he's enjoyed all the movies that have been suggested that we've actually sat down to watch, so even if it's unspoken, I think he does. :D

Did you show him Escape from NY?

Also, you guys buy me the Blu-Ray and I will sit and watch it. :p

LouCipherr
25-Jun-2010, 03:27 PM
Did you show him Escape from NY?

No, actually, I haven't yet - that might be a good one too. A lil' Snake never hurt anyone. :cool:

bassman
25-Jun-2010, 03:34 PM
I dunno. That movie is pure cheese by today's standards. Hell...it was cheese by 80's standards...

LouCipherr
25-Jun-2010, 03:40 PM
I know, but doesn't everyone need a slice of Velveeta every once in a while? If just for a pallette cleanser? :D

DjfunkmasterG
25-Jun-2010, 04:42 PM
Cheddar makes it all better:D

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2010, 04:44 PM
Hmmm ... never thought of EFNY as "cheese". I do remember being a bit disappointed by it the first time I saw it, but a couple of years later I re-watched it and loved it, and have seen it a couple more times since - Snake Plissken is superb. How they could even consider remaking it is beyond me - well, in terms of common sense - they're doing it for the money and lack of ideas, I know, but man alive, you can't recreate Kurt Russell's awesome-as-hell performance or the same 80s John Carpenter vibe.

Hell, JC himself can't replicate his golden years, so how will a bunch of remakers manage it?! And Timothy Olyphant as 'favourite' for the role - wtf?!

DjfunkmasterG
25-Jun-2010, 04:45 PM
Hmmm ... never thought of EFNY as "cheese". I do remember being a bit disappointed by it the first time I saw it, but a couple of years later I re-watched it and loved it, and have seen it a couple more times since - Snake Plissken is superb. How they could even consider remaking it is beyond me - well, in terms of common sense - they're doing it for the money and lack of ideas, I know, but man alive, you can't recreate Kurt Russell's awesome-as-hell performance or the same 80s John Carpenter vibe.

Hell, JC himself can't replicate his golden years, so how will a bunch of remakers manage it?! And Timothy Olyphant as 'favourite' for the role - wtf?!

I can replicate it. :evil:

LouCipherr
25-Jun-2010, 05:52 PM
How they could even consider remaking it is beyond me - well, in terms of common sense - they're doing it for the money and lack of ideas, I know, but man alive, you can't recreate Kurt Russell's awesome-as-hell performance or the same 80s John Carpenter vibe.

:stunned:

Whoa, whoa, whoa... put the brakes on for one second here...

Did you just ask how they could consider doing a remake of this? And also say they can't recreate the 80's Carpenter vibe? Yet you were on-board for the Halloween remakes?! So they can recreate the 70's Carpenter but not the 80's Carpenter?

Wait, I know it's around here somewhere.. I must've just misplaced it.. under the desk? No.. Under this chair? No.... damn, where did I put it.. OH! Here it is...
http://enderzero.net/smilies/smack.gif

Just couldn't pass up the chance to whip out the stick again, MZ. I knew what you meant, I just couldn't help but take that opportunity to be a dick. :lol:

I can replicate it.

Dj = HPotD's own CARPENTER JUNIOR! Matter of fact, I think we should start calling him "Junior" just like Connery did to Ford in The Last Crusade. :lol: :lol:

AcesandEights
25-Jun-2010, 06:08 PM
All this talk of "JC" can be very confusing when just skimming this thread :lol:

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2010, 07:01 PM
God Lou, you're such a stick-poking dick. :elol::D hehe

For anyone in doubt, while I do dig H1 and H2, they're not a patch on the original Halloween and never were going to be ... but let's not get back into all that again. :p

LouCipherr
25-Jun-2010, 07:04 PM

*takes a bow*

Thank you, thank you very much. Please, no autographs, just throw money. :lol:

Sorry man, I had to go there. I knew what you meant and how you feel about H1, H2, etc, but that was an open door I couldn't not go through. Don't worry, you're still the (zombie) man. :D

DjfunkmasterG
25-Jun-2010, 07:04 PM

For anyone in doubt, while I do dig H1 and H2, they're not a patch on the original Halloween and never were going to be ... but let's not get back into all that again. :p

Yeah cuz lou and I made a list of 109 reasons it sucks. That is all you need to know.

LouCipherr
25-Jun-2010, 07:06 PM
Yeah cuz lou and I made a list of 109 reasons it sucks. That is all you need to know.

See that MZ? ...and you say I'm the dick with the stick! :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
25-Jun-2010, 08:02 PM
See that MZ? ...and you say I'm the dick with the stick! :lol:

Mine is bigger :lol:

LouCipherr
25-Jun-2010, 08:25 PM
Mine is bigger :lol:

You must be....

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/FORUM%20PICS%202/asakite.jpg

DjfunkmasterG
25-Jun-2010, 08:44 PM
You must be....

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/FORUM%20PICS%202/asakite.jpg

My tape measure runs out at 8ft... and it is long than that. :D

LouCipherr
26-Jun-2010, 12:02 AM
My tape measure runs out at 8ft... and it is long than that. :D

hah!

Dj - so high dogs can't even hear him. :lol:

MoonSylver
21-Oct-2010, 04:22 AM
I'm re-watching ANOES for the first time in years, & let me say I'm remembering now all over again why I dug the heel out of this movie when I was a teen & it was new. IMO it's damn effective.

I don't know that I ever found the MOVIE per se scary, but the concept is scary as hell. All most all of the typical nightmare tropes (such as running in slow mo) are used effectively. Kruger is a great villain in this one, a right creepy & twisted little fucker who is almost the antithesis of the typical move slasher (small & puny compared to large & physically, verbal & not silent, intelligent & cunning not mindless brute force. A calculate move on Cravens part?). This is before he was reduced to a comedic stereotype. Plenty of weird, creepy, & disturbing imagery on display (not to the point of a Euro, but still...)

I didn't wade back through all posts. so I'm not sure what the general consensus is here, but I know in some circles it has become fashionable to slam on this movie in modern times. (I see that trend a lot for some reason.) I notice a lot of folks attach the baggage of the sequels on, which do tend (more or less) to get successively worse with each one. But viewed by itself (as it should be), I see it as a movie that still works & works well. Despite the low budget (and the effect it has on some of the SPFX, which I can easily forgive) & some of the amature acting (from the younger cast, which, again I can overlook) I still find it compelling, well written, ambitious, & imminately re-watchable. I'm reminded all over again how fresh & original back in the day & why it was such a big hit. And why I was such a mega fan then, & feel a renewed interest coming on now. It's like falling in love all over again.:o:kiss::lol:

LouCipherr
21-Oct-2010, 12:43 PM
Moon, I can't agree more. The movie was creepy, but it really didn't hit you until you got home, it was dark, then it was time for bed.. then all you can think about is... "Whatever you do... DON'T... FALL... ASLEEP!"

The concept, for me anyway, was fantastic, and seemed not to be touched on before the original ANOES.

The movie to this day completely creeps me out. I will say this: not ONE of the sequels impressed me. The only one I think I would ever watch again is Wes Craven's New Nightmare - but other than that, they turned Freddy from a frightening villian into a stand up comedian with third degree burns. That = NOT SCARY, people.

As for the original intent of the thread, quickly summed up: I let my son watch the original ANOES (he's 14, I saw it when I was 13 and it scarred me for life) - and afterwards, he was not impressed. I basically got this response: "why did that scare you so much as a kid?"

That's ok, 'cause I made him watch Drag me to Hell and it couldn't even finish watching the flick, so I got him back. :elol: Yeah, I'm an evil dad like that! :lol: :D

DjfunkmasterG
21-Oct-2010, 12:51 PM
Drag me to Hell scared your son?

Hmmmm, I thought that movie was so-so.

LouCipherr
21-Oct-2010, 03:04 PM
Yes, it sure did. He has this thing about "things going into your body through your mouth" - don't know why, but there was lots of "in your mouth" stuff in this flick, and it completely wigged him out. Between that and the creepy old lady, he gave up on it quickly.

With all this "in your mouth" talk, perhaps this should be merged w/the porn star testing positive for HIV thread.. :lol: :D

bassman
21-Oct-2010, 03:45 PM
That movie was pretty far from scary, imo. The woman sucking on the girl's chin, magical fortune tellers, friggin talking goats....

It was kinda fun, but mostly a cheesefest. And before someone comes in with the "oh, it's meant to be fun scary like Evil Dead" crap....I get that its Raimi's style. I just don't like it. Didn't even like ED that much. Although Army of Darkness is great.

MoonSylver
21-Oct-2010, 05:18 PM
The movie to this day completely creeps me out. I will say this: not ONE of the sequels impressed me. The only one I think I would ever watch again is Wes Craven's New Nightmare - but other than that, they turned Freddy from a frightening villian into a stand up comedian with third degree burns. That = NOT SCARY, people.

Yeah, I still like some-most of the sequels, but for the same reason I like all the other slasher series, just for the cheese. They lost their way from the original REAL FAST.

I watched the 2nd one last night & was shocked. I remebered the shower scence but above & beond that I was thinking "WTF is up w/ all the homoerotic subtext in THIS?" And no, apparently I wasn't the only one (from Wikipedia):

Film commentators often remark on the film's perceived homoerotic theme. The argument is that a subtext exists about Jesse's alleged repressed homosexuality (never clarified in the movie), and it is pointed out the encounter that he has with his gym teacher in a homosexual S&M leather bar, and his flight to a male friend's house after an aborted attempt of making out at his girlfriend's pool party.[2][3]

In a February interview with Attitude magazine, Robert Englund commented (Attitude Interview) on this when asked whether he was aware about the camp, gay appeal of the series. He replied: "... the second Nightmare on Elm Street is obviously intended as a bisexual themed film. It was early '80s, pre-AIDS paranoia. Jesse's wrestling with whether to come out or not and his own sexual desires was manifested by Freddy. His friend is the object of his affection. That's all there in that film. We did it subtly but the casting of Mark Patton was intentional too, because Mark was out and had done Come Back to the Five and Dime, Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean".

In the documentary Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy, screenwriter David Chaskin confirms that he had intentionally meant for the film to have homoerotic subtext though others who had worked on the film, including producer Robert Shaye and director Jack Sholder, claim that they were completely unaware of it at the time.

Now, having said THAT there is one great scene at the end when Freddy makes his apperance at the pool party, exclaiming "You are all my childern now!". From his vanishning jump through the window to his strutting around like a bad ass exit, that one scene was pretty awesome. But one scene does not a movie make. :(

I'll be taking a run at the rest maybe tonight/this week. I remember liking the 3rd one even though they get too cheesy/superheroic w/ the "dream warriors" schtick.:rolleyes:

LouCipherr
21-Oct-2010, 06:57 PM
Ho-ly shit, I never really noticed the whole homoerotic subtext of part 2, nor any of the other parts. WTF?! :lol:

I guess I was so taken back by how bad they were that it never occurred to me.

I did think Kim Meyers (Lisa) was cute though.. :lol: Yeah yeah, it's the redhead thing, gimmie a break. :p

MoonSylver
21-Oct-2010, 07:24 PM
Ho-ly shit, I never really noticed the whole homoerotic subtext of part 2, nor any of the other parts. WTF?! :lol:

I always was a little uncomfortable w/ the whole "kinky S&M leather gym teacher who gets tied up stripped naked & his ass whipped with a towel" thing. (OK, make that A LOT unfomfortable. Even descibing it just seems wrong... :lol:) but after watching it again, it seemd like there was a WHOLE lot more going on. I was actually googling the movie trying to find out what kind of car Jesse is driving when I stumbled apon that Wikipedia article & thought "ok, so it's NOT just me..." :lol:

MikePizzoff
22-Oct-2010, 11:17 AM
Just after I was flipping through this thread yesterday, I stumbled upon a brand new NOES documentary on BIO. It had a ton of insight into the series and was pretty fuckin awesome. Only caught about 40 minutes of it, though. The reason I say "only" is because I'm fairly certain it was 4-5 hours long.

MoonSylver
22-Oct-2010, 11:45 AM
Just after I was flipping through this thread yesterday, I stumbled upon a brand new NOES documentary on BIO. It had a ton of insight into the series and was pretty fuckin awesome. Only caught about 40 minutes of it, though. The reason I say "only" is because I'm fairly certain it was 4-5 hours long.

:stunned: Would love to see THAT. Wonder if it's a bonus feature on one of the deluxe versions or box sets out there?

Watched 3 & 4 last night.

Still enjoyed 3, as they got back to the "dream" aspect more, but it's still silly & cheesy w/ the whole "dream warriors"/super hero thingie. Plus now they're moving into the "Stand up Freddie" phase, & tayloring the kills to the victims personalities/fears, which would be GOOD if they kept it kind of grim & dark, & he were using your fears against you in a more "realistic" way (I use quotes as it's hard to apply reality to a dream, but I hope I'm coveying what I mean.) Instead, they're just using them to stage elaborate set pieces. It was nice to see Nancy return, & I like they way they worked her in, how her character developed, etc.

4 on the other hand...I didn't remember it being so dreadfully DULL. Mmm maybe SOMEWHAT dull.

*THERE BE SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!*

All of the old guard left from the 3rd are quickly trotted in & dispatched so we can be rushed through an introduction to more victims that we get to know just enough about so that the ways in which Freddy kills them have significance. (in the midst of this they DO manage to work in one of my favorite movie lines EVER: "You shouldn'ta burried me. I ain't dead." :hyper:)

Oh, and there's a tired plot about a wallflower being empowered as she absorbs skills & tallents from each of her friends as they die, so she can save the captain of the football team who has inexplicably fallen for ther in the big showdown at the end.:bored:

All of this wrapped around a center of more yucks from Freddy & more set pieces (in one a girl who is afraid of bugs, turns into a giant bug hybrid & them gets squished in a roach motel! Get it! :lol": :rolleyes: Here's a perfect example about how IF he'd used their fears against them in a darker, more realistic, way it would have been better. Afraid of bugs? Maybe have her eaten alive by a swarm of them, or turn into a swarm of them when she tries to hit you, envelope her, then turn back & kill her. That sort of thing ;) ) So now pattern is firmly locked in place.

Despite all that, I actually more or less enjoyed them more than I should, in a juvinile, purile sort of way. i think they take be back to a simpler time & make me feel like a kid again. But great movies they ain't, & not a patch on the original. And I will say this about the 2nd one, despite all of IT'S flaws, it's still pretty dark, nasty, & serious. By the time 3 & 4 roll around, we've firmly moved into "pop culture" territory, what with videos w/ Dokken in 3, Freddy doing rap in 4 etc. (IIRC I still have videos w/ Freddy & The Phat Boys & cameos by Tom & Roseanne to lo0k forward to in 5-6. Oh joy.)

MikePizzoff
22-Oct-2010, 11:58 AM
:stunned: Would love to see THAT. Wonder if it's a bonus feature on one of the deluxe versions or box sets out there?

Nah, it can't be - it was made this year. Pretty sure yesterday's showing on BIO was the first release of it. I'm going to find out when it's airing next and let you know.

EDIT: It's showing again Sunday at 4pm. Then again on Halloween at 6. Also, there's a website which you can buy it from: http://www.elmstreetlegacy.com/ and apparently you can find it at Walmart & Target stores, as well.

MoonSylver
22-Oct-2010, 12:08 PM
Nah, it can't be - it was made this year. Pretty sure yesterday's showing on BIO was the first release of it. I'm going to find out when it's airing next and let you know.

EDIT: It's showing again Sunday at 4pm. Then again on Halloween at 6. Also, there's a website which you can buy it from: http://www.elmstreetlegacy.com/ and apparently you can find it at Walmart & Target stores, as well.

Don't get Bio, but it's nice to know you can buy it as a stand alone. Thanks! :thumbsup:

MikePizzoff
22-Oct-2010, 12:11 PM
Don't get Bio, but it's nice to know you can buy it as a stand alone. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Damn, that channel has some of the best documentaries on films. Their 3-hour doc on Animal House is rad as hell.

Also, I'm sitting here listening to the NOES theme song. Man... fucking chilling.

bassman
22-Oct-2010, 12:23 PM
Damn, that channel has some of the best documentaries on films. Their 3-hour doc on Animal House is rad as hell.

It is a great channel. Those Animal House and the Caddyshack docs they put out recently are fantastic. I think i've seen the American Werewolf doc, Beware The Moon on there as well. Which, btw, the same guys behind that doc are now putting the finishing touches on a Ghostbusters doc called "Cleaning up the Town". Looks like another good one.

MikePizzoff
22-Oct-2010, 12:25 PM
It is a great channel. Those Animal House and the Caddyshack docs they put out recently are fantastic. I think i've seen the American Werewolf doc, Beware The Moon on there as well. Which, btw, the same guys behind that doc are now putting the finishing touches on a Ghostbusters doc called "Cleaning up the Town". Looks like another good one.

Yeah, the Caddyshack doc has some really funny anecdotes. Can't wait for that GB doc! I'm sure they'll do a BTTF one soon...

LouCipherr
22-Oct-2010, 03:27 PM
All of this wrapped around a center of more yucks from Freddy & more set pieces (in one a girl who is afraid of bugs, turns into a giant bug hybrid & them gets squished in a roach motel! Get it! :lol": :rolleyes: Here's a perfect example about how IF he'd used their fears against them in a darker, more realistic, way it would have been better. Afraid of bugs? Maybe have her eaten alive by a swarm of them, or turn into a swarm of them when she tries to hit you, envelope her, then turn back & kill her. That sort of thing ;) ) So now pattern is firmly locked in place.

Yup - this is a prime example of how they lost their way with these films. It's a shame too, 'cause the first one set up so much potential for the inevitable sequels, and they all fell so short it's sad.

Meh, that's ok, we still have the first one to look back fondly on. Well, some of us do. :shifty:

MoonSylver
22-Oct-2010, 03:48 PM
Yup - this is a prime example of how they lost their way with these films. It's a shame too, 'cause the first one set up so much potential for the inevitable sequels, and they all fell so short it's sad.

Meh, that's ok, we still have the first one to look back fondly on. Well, some of us do. :shifty:

Yeah, I keep having this idea of "what if they'd really stuck w/ the the whole idea of & exploration of dreams & nightmares? What if they'd incorporated things like Lucid Dreaming (which I don't think had been researched all that much back then)." The movie "Dreamscape" keeps popping up in my mind of some of the kinds of things they could have done.

Ah well. The sequels are what they are. I enjoyed them back in the day, and am enjoying some of their simple charms now, but not in any way that resembles the 1st one. They're just worlds apart in terms of approach & philosophy...:|

LouCipherr
22-Oct-2010, 04:48 PM
Yeah Moon, the "What if's" run rampant in my mind too, 'cause there's so many good places they could've taken Freddy as a character and the concept of the film. Instead they chose the cheesy route.

That's not to say I didn't watch them all, I've seen every single one (hoping each would be better than the previous) but alas, I was let down. Even with the remake - but don't even get me started on that. :D

MoonSylver
22-Oct-2010, 05:29 PM
Yeah Moon, the "What if's" run rampant in my mind too, 'cause there's so many good places they could've taken Freddy as a character and the concept of the film. Instead they chose the cheesy route.

That's not to say I didn't watch them all, I've seen every single one (hoping each would be better than the previous) but alas, I was let down. Even with the remake - but don't even get me started on that. :D

Yeah, I've been tempted to pick up the new once since it came out on DVD, but I have a feeling it would be a bad idea. I really liked the F13th reboot for the *most* part, but was *meh* on the TCSM. But I don't really get a good vibe from ANOES. The only thing that makes me curious is the JEH portrayal of Kruger, which I've heard varying things about. I MIGHT drop a buck for a rent, especially before I would buy the damn thing & probably regret it.

Wyldwraith
23-Oct-2010, 04:03 PM
Well,
Of course the original NOES is the gold-standard, but I tend to given silver medals to 3 & 4 due in part to nostalgia, and the fact I actually liked the whole Dream Warriors/Dream Master thing. It was nice to see Freddy have to work a bit and chew through some setbacks to get the slaughterin' back on track. (I like Friday the 13th pt. VII for the same reason. I personally retitled it as "Friday the 13th Part VII: Jason Gets His Ass Kicked). Judged in terms of whether it's a good/bad movie compared to other good/bad movies maybe it suffers, but for me Part VII and Jason Goes to Hell both had a novel sort of charm that made VII rewatchablly enjoyable, and Jason Goes to Hell at least good for a once-in-a-long-while viewing.)

Slasher franchises require a certain amount of loyalty to the foibles of the franchise on the part of the viewer, because that's what the director is doing. Providing Encore performances of the Slasher-villain for the gratification of the cult following. Fri 13th II is probably still one of my favorites of that franchise, w/ 7 close behind, then Goes to Hell, then part 6, then the New York one. Other than that, and a single for-novelty viewing of Freddy Vs. Jason, the rest were reasonably forgettable, though they were handy to round out a true horror movie marathon as a kid. (My mom introduced me to hard-edged Sci-Fi like Aliens and Bladerunner at 8-9yrs old, saw I could handle that, moved me onto Terminator, then once she saw I handled Phantasm without wigging out and waking her up in the middle of the night, she unscrambled HBO, Cinemaxx and Showtime after I promised not to watch anything with more than brief nudity and turned me loose.) Definitely have a cool Mom.

Speaking of which, have you tried your boy on the Phantasm flicks yet? The sequels are kinda meh if you aren't the sort to want answers the original doesn't provide, but the original and at least one of the sequels I found quite deliciously disturbing.

Haven't read the entire massive thread, but what about the Evil Dead 1 & 2, followed by the two Army of Darkness sequels for laughs? I got a kick out of Ash as a kid/young teen. Maybe your boy would too.

Oh, and for the love of all that's good and scary, avoid crap like the Scream/I Know What You Did Last Whatever and the convoluted Children of the Corn franchises. No joy there.

Just some random musing. Quite envious of your having an of-age son. Very family-oriented, and every year that passes and finds me still confined to my parents' house w/ no future and no prospects due to my health reminds me of my crushed aspirations to marry the great love of my life and begin a family of my own once I finished college and could carry weight financially. You're very blessed..

Ah well, I've rambled enough. Carry on good gentlefolk.

---------- Post added 23-Oct-2010 at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was 22-Oct-2010 at 04:19 PM ----------

Hey,
Didn't mean to kill this entertaining thread. If I got overly serious or analytical, my apologies to all, and I hope you'll carry on from here.
::goes back to lurking::

MoonSylver
23-Oct-2010, 05:44 PM
Hey,
Didn't mean to kill this entertaining thread. If I got overly serious or analytical, my apologies to all, and I hope you'll carry on from here.

Nah, you're good. It's just that since I was finishing ANOES & segwaying into the "Halloween" series I figured I might as well quit thread-jacking Lou's thread & move on over to the one I'd started for what movies everyone is watching this Halloween. ;)

LouCipherr
26-Oct-2010, 01:05 PM
Speaking of which, have you tried your boy on the Phantasm flicks yet? The sequels are kinda meh if you aren't the sort to want answers the original doesn't provide, but the original and at least one of the sequels I found quite deliciously disturbing.

Haven't read the entire massive thread, but what about the Evil Dead 1 & 2, followed by the two Army of Darkness sequels for laughs? I got a kick out of Ash as a kid/young teen. Maybe your boy would too.

Oh, and for the love of all that's good and scary, avoid crap like the Scream/I Know What You Did Last Whatever and the convoluted Children of the Corn franchises. No joy there.

Letsee:
Phantasm's, no, he hasn't seen those....yet.
Evil Dead? He's a MAJOR Bruce Campbell fan, and he's seen all three. Loved 'em all. :D
Unfortunately, he's already been exposed to all the Scream movies - kinda unavoidable since they're on TV every 10 minutes. lol

Hey,

Nah, you're good. It's just that since I was finishing ANOES & segwaying into the "Halloween" series I figured I might as well quit thread-jacking Lou's thread & move on over to the one I'd started for what movies everyone is watching this Halloween. ;)

Hey, no worries guys! Part of this thread was to ask others what I should expose him to. Apparently the original ANOES wasn't quite enough to scare the bajeezus out of him, so I'm trying to really scar him with a "scare the living hell out of him" flick but haven't found it yet. :D

MoonSylver
26-Oct-2010, 05:57 PM
Hey, no worries guys! Part of this thread was to ask others what I should expose him to. Apparently the original ANOES wasn't quite enough to scare the bajeezus out of him, so I'm trying to really scar him with a "scare the living hell out of him" flick but haven't found it yet. :D

If you find it let me know, 'cuz I wanna see it too! (Seriously, I miss the days of being scared by movies!)

LouCipherr
26-Oct-2010, 08:26 PM
If you find it let me know, 'cuz I wanna see it too! (Seriously, I miss the days of being scared by movies!)

I certainly will. I have a feeling that what scares the shit out of him might not have the same effect on us, but when I find that one film, I will let ya know. :D

MikePizzoff
27-Oct-2010, 04:51 PM
He's probably too old now, but Poltergeist made me nearly shit my pants every viewing through my youth.

bassman
27-Oct-2010, 04:59 PM
He's probably too old now, but Poltergeist made me nearly shit my pants every viewing through my youth.

Shit, that movie still creeps me out to this day. But yeah....it really messed me up when I was a kid.

This thread reminds me, Mike. I stumbled upon your "little brother/dawn" thread this morning. Man you got some shit thrown at you for showing a kid Dawn.:lol:

LouCipherr
27-Oct-2010, 05:06 PM
Shit, that movie still creeps me out to this day. But yeah....it really messed me up when I was a kid.

This thread reminds me, Mike. I stumbled upon your "little brother/dawn" thread this morning. Man you got some shit thrown at you for showing a kid Dawn.:lol:

How old was he? Your brother, I mean, Mike. I showed my son the original Dawn a few years ago (he's 14 now) so he was around 11ish when he saw Dawn for the first time. :D

bassman
27-Oct-2010, 05:08 PM
IIRC, Three.

The responses were quite funny. Ranging from "you're cruel, how could you do that?!!?" to "He's fucking three. He won't even remember it in five minutes.":lol:

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2010, 05:44 PM
I see "Poltergeist" has been mentioned ... guess what - I've never seen it.

*waits for HPOTD to clamber back onto its feet*

I've seen one scene from the first and one scene from the second, that a mate showed me one time I was over his house watching horror movies I wasn't allowed to see at home (the scene where a dude rips his own face off ... from the 2nd movie that is, isn't it? I can't remember). Anyway, I wanted to see Poltergeist, but the only time I've seen it on the telly schedules was years and years ago when I was about 11 and my Mum wouldn't let me see it, lol.

I could have gotten the anniversary disc, but calling that a special edition or whatever is a piss take. There's fuck all on it, so I never got that, and now years and years later still I've not gotten around to it. :p

Maybe I'll get onto that some day, eh?

bassman
27-Oct-2010, 05:48 PM
Dude.....rent that shit. Download it. Do whatever you've got to do. I think you would REALLY dig Poltergeist. A fantastic 80's film without the eighties cheese. I would put it into that rare class of good eighties horror films like The Thing and The Fly. You won't regret it.

Never cared for the sequels. Just the first.

LouCipherr
27-Oct-2010, 06:56 PM

*waits for HPOTD to clamber back onto its feet*

*passes out in disbelief*

*wakes up and passes out again in disbelief*

Dude.....rent that shit. Download it. Do whatever you've got to do. I think you would REALLY dig Poltergeist. A fantastic 80's film without the eighties cheese. I would put it into that rare class of good eighties horror films like The Thing and The Fly. You won't regret it.

Never cared for the sequels. Just the first.

What he said. You cannot live life without seeing this flick, MZ. It's a must watch!! If you don't buy it, I'm going to send it to you in the mail, goddammit. :lol:

---------- Post added at 02:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 PM ----------

IIRC, Three.

THREE?!?! *passes out in disbelief again*

AcesandEights
27-Oct-2010, 07:01 PM

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2008/6/25/aghastcatisa128589067375441936.jpg

LouCipherr
27-Oct-2010, 07:12 PM

AcesandEights
27-Oct-2010, 07:18 PM
I was just surprised. I thought MZ liked cinema. :p

LouCipherr
27-Oct-2010, 07:45 PM
I was just surprised. I thought MZ liked cinema. :p

I know, wtf?! This is like the third classic film in the past 2 months he says he hasn't seen. I'm starting to get concerned about our friend across the pond... perhaps he's had a bit too much of that Bolivian Bone Ash he got from a certain celebrity zombie. :shifty:

MinionZombie
28-Oct-2010, 12:03 PM
I know, wtf?! This is like the third classic film in the past 2 months he says he hasn't seen. I'm starting to get concerned about our friend across the pond... perhaps he's had a bit too much of that Bolivian Bone Ash he got from a certain celebrity zombie. :shifty:

And what are the other two then, eh? I challenge you to name them. :sneaky::p

I'll have to find myself a copy, but you know how it is, there's so many goddamn movies out there that some are going to fall by the wayside as you're distracted by a million other flicks.

The weird thing is I feel like I know the movie fairly well, because of the sheer amount of parodies that are floating around out there in various shows, and how it's always turning up in countdown shows and movie lists on TV and such, but I haven't seen it ... yet.

Now that last word, that's a subtle reference to another movie - can anyone guess what it is?

And Lou - what are these other classics I've apparently not seen? :sneaky:

LouCipherr
28-Oct-2010, 12:51 PM
And what are the other two then, eh? I challenge you to name them. :sneaky::p

Damn you MZ, don't make me use this crappy search engine to try and find them. :lol: I do remember you saying recently there was a movie or two you haven't seen and we called blasphemy on you - if I can find them, I will post them, but damn this is going to make for a difficult search. You probably remember what they were, but now are gonna make me work for it, aren't you? :p :lol:

***edited to add: worthless search engine.. :lol: I tried, MZ, but I can't find them. I know there was one flick (other than Poltergeist) we called blasphemy on you for not seeing. I just don't have the gumption nor the search tools to find it. Every time I search, it says words like "have not seen" are "too short of phrases" to search for... :sarcastic:

bassman
28-Oct-2010, 12:58 PM
American Werewolf in London was one of them, I believe. He's since corrected that little problem. :)

LouCipherr
28-Oct-2010, 12:59 PM
Thank you bassman. ;)

There's one, MZ! :p Not that I helped find it or anything.. :lol:

MinionZombie
28-Oct-2010, 04:25 PM
Thank you bassman. ;)

There's one, MZ! :p Not that I helped find it or anything.. :lol:

That was ages ago though! :p

Conveniently at the time the special edition 2-disc DVD had just come out and it was only £8. So yes, I rectified that issue swiftly.

I just had a look and apparently the DVD is fucked at one point - it stops mid-sentence during one scene and skips right onto the next at one point. So I duno about that, I don't wanna buy some disc that doesn't work properly. :rockbrow:

Maybe it'll be on telly sometime soon.