PDA

View Full Version : Ad's blocking search?

Andy
13-May-2010, 08:36 AM
It's been brought to our attention that some users are possibly having problems with the new banner ad on the forums obstructing certain parts of the navigation bar. Eg: entertainment, search, user cp and other links.

We have tried to replicate this problem, which is the first step to remedy it, but we have been unable to, I've looked at this through every style available on the forums and using both firefox and internet explorer.

I would appreciate it if those having problems could provide us with more details, such as what style and what browser they are using.

Once i know exactly what's wrong, i can fix it.

Thanks.

bassman
13-May-2010, 11:39 AM
I'm using IE and the Green style. Although today the search seems to be working. Looks like you may have already fixed it...

3pidemiC
13-May-2010, 12:48 PM
Firefox with the Ad Block Plus addon. You'll never see another website add again.

AcesandEights
13-May-2010, 01:56 PM
I've had this problem before using firefox where the search menu 'drops down' behind the ad and I just went to replicate it for a screen shot and it didn't happen. The option was 'dropping down' in front of the ad this time.

If it happens again I'll try and remember to post a screen print.

Were changes already made to possibly rectify the issue?

Neil
13-May-2010, 02:03 PM
Firefox with the Ad Block Plus addon. You'll never see another website add again.

And this poor webmaster doesn't get a few cents a year :(

Go on... Disable it for this domain :)

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:02 PM ----------

I've had this problem before using firefox where the search menu 'drops down' behind the ad and I just went to replicate it for a screen shot and it didn't happen. The option was 'dropping down' in front of the ad this time.

If it happens again I'll try and remember to post a screen print.

Were changes already made to possibly rectify the issue?

Was it a specific add (eg: maybe for Descent 2 for example)? At the moment the only advert being shown is generally the MySpaceTV one... That will change shortly though...

BillyRay
13-May-2010, 02:08 PM
I've had the same problem with the menu bar drop-downs coming down behind the ads.

(The ads in this case were for Wisconsin tourism)

AcesandEights
13-May-2010, 02:19 PM
Was it a specific add (eg: maybe for Descent 2 for example)? At the moment the only advert being shown is generally the MySpaceTV one... That will change shortly though...

Well, I actually had the problem several times, though it wasn't a big deal so I didn't pay much attention to which ads were involved. I do, however, have the distinct impression it was multiple ads.

BillyRay
05-Jun-2010, 03:47 PM
Still have the banner ad for Wisconsin tourism/American Players Theatre dropping down EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. that a new page loads.

I swear, I'm trying to specificly NOT move the mouse arrow over it. Doesn't seem to make a difference. It's really frustrating. ('Specially since I like APT. Great theatre)

I use IE for my browser - is that the problem?

3pidemiC
06-Jun-2010, 12:06 AM
Read my response regarding Firefox.

Neil
06-Jun-2010, 09:26 AM
Read my response regarding Firefox.

A 90 pixel high area is too much to ask, in exchange for a bit of revenue for the site :(

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Still have the banner ad for Wisconsin tourism/American Players Theatre dropping down EVERY. FUCKING. TIME. that a new page loads.

I swear, I'm trying to specificly NOT move the mouse arrow over it. Doesn't seem to make a difference. It's really frustrating. ('Specially since I like APT. Great theatre)

I use IE for my browser - is that the problem?

Can you send a screen shot to me? ie: Press "Print Screen" and email it to me neil{AT}homepageofthedead.com

3pidemiC
06-Jun-2010, 07:12 PM
How does me not seeing the ad cause the site the lose revenue? I wouldn't click on it anyways.

Neil
07-Jun-2010, 08:34 AM
How does me not seeing the ad cause the site the lose revenue? I wouldn't click on it anyways.

Because, it's all done on a per view basis :)

To those who say they're having problems, if it was instead at the very top of the foum, do you think that would solve your problems? eg: With it conflicting with the search?

DjfunkmasterG
11-Jun-2010, 11:54 PM
Time to do a HPOTD Fundraiser to get rid of ad's for the next year or so.

Come on people time to kick in for the site to be ad free.

$20 per person.

I of course get the program suggestion discount of $20 off. :lol:

Neil
12-Jun-2010, 06:50 PM
Time to do a HPOTD Fundraiser to get rid of ad's for the next year or so.

Come on people time to kick in for the site to be ad free.

$20 per person.

I of course get the program suggestion discount of $20 off. :lol:

In all seriousness, do the adverts really cause anyone any real headache?

Danny
12-Jun-2010, 06:53 PM
In all seriousness, do the adverts really cause anyone any real headache?

at first they were irritating, now i not even notice they are there.

BillyRay
12-Jun-2010, 07:31 PM
Haven't seen the pain-in-thee-arse drop-down tourism one for awhile.

So I'm cool...

MikePizzoff
12-Jun-2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah, the ones that drop down were fuckin infuriating! However, like BillyRay said, I haven't seen those kind in a while.

Neil
13-Jun-2010, 08:44 AM
Yeah, the ones that drop down were fuckin infuriating! However, like BillyRay said, I haven't seen those kind in a while.

Good... If/when one of those happens again, please fo a Print Screen and email it to me!