PDA

View Full Version : The Langoliers

acealive1
19-May-2010, 09:41 PM
did anyone see this? thoughts?

ProfessorChaos
19-May-2010, 09:47 PM
you talking about the made-fo-tv miniseries that had that dude from "perfect strangers" in it? if so, yeah, but it's been years.

acealive1
19-May-2010, 09:56 PM
you talking about the made-fo-tv miniseries that had that dude from "perfect strangers" in it? if so, yeah, but it's been years.

yessir!! i love the flick but if made into a 3 hour theater movie, it'd be GREAT. but the part where the little girl screams is REALLY annoying. enouh to make you wanna turn your tv down

ProfessorChaos
19-May-2010, 10:00 PM
they ever air it on tv anymore? seems like it might have been on scifi or something a couple of years back....

Yojimbo
20-May-2010, 06:27 AM
did anyone see this? thoughts?
Enjoyed the book (which I read on a plane trip) but thought the miniseries was pretty lame - it didn't gel with me.

My wife bought a video set of it from a local video rental shop "going out of business' sale, and I've tried but just can't groove with bad acting, bad direction.

Admittedly, though, it could just be me- since my homie Ace liked it I'll consider giving it another shot sometime.

Tricky
20-May-2010, 07:52 AM
It must be 10 years since i watched that! I enjoyed it then, but I bet the CGI hasnt aged well?

SymphonicX
20-May-2010, 08:16 AM
the whole series hasn't aged well (actors, cgi, plot) but it was still an enjoyable miniseries that my mum found in a bag of abandoned VHSs years and years ago...(just happened to come across a bag full of brand new tapes in the early 90s)

Very Romero-esque if you think about it

Danny
20-May-2010, 09:13 AM
i rented that from the local store when it was a "dillons" and i really dug it, i was like 8 or 9 at the time and the concept freaked me out, these flying meatballs with chainsaw mouths but i really enjoyed it. not my favourite king miniseries, thats gotta be the stand tied with storm of the century but i prefer the langoliers to rose red by a mile.

DjfunkmasterG
20-May-2010, 12:12 PM
Love the book, the MFTV miniseries was decent, I think it should be remade with a competent director and cast, but otherwise the MFTV version was ok.

It was definitely creepy, I will give it that much

LouCipherr
20-May-2010, 12:20 PM
I liked the mini series. It wasn't the greatest, but it's one of those movies to me that's like a car wreck - you just can't help but watch.

The CGI certainly doesn't hold up at this point, but then again, that's the case with most of the old horror movies I watch. Doesn't take too much away from the overall experience.

acealive1
20-May-2010, 07:45 PM
the whole series hasn't aged well (actors, cgi, plot) but it was still an enjoyable miniseries that my mum found in a bag of abandoned VHSs years and years ago...(just happened to come across a bag full of brand new tapes in the early 90s)

Very Romero-esque if you think about it

wasnt meant to be all pristeen. why would u have a HUGE budget for a tv movie that ur gonna make money on anyway?

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

they ever air it on tv anymore? seems like it might have been on scifi or something a couple of years back....

i'd bet on it. cuz sci fi used to do king/romero marathons

LouCipherr
20-May-2010, 08:01 PM
I think it would be interesting to see how Frank Darabont would have adapted that movie to the screen. He seems to get most King stories spot-on. :D

Purge
20-May-2010, 11:40 PM
Low-rent but watchable TV movie. Bronson Pinchot was priceless. "I'm goin' to Boston! I'm goin' to Boston!" :lol:

Danny
21-May-2010, 12:13 AM
Low-rent but watchable TV movie. Bronson Pinchot was priceless. "I'm goin' to Boston! I'm goin' to Boston!" :lol:

The sweaty guy who shredded the paper? Yeah he was literally the first time i saw a douche on screen and whent "man what a dick". :lol:

-biggest dick in a tv series still goes to leo jhonson in twin peaks. that guy is so repulsive i dont think ive ever called a tv character a cunt before and probably wont again.

man i hated that guy :lol:

MikePizzoff
22-May-2010, 03:10 AM
Love The Langoliers. I own the VHS - however, my VCR hasn't been in operation in about 2 years, and may never be again, so who knows when I'll see it again.

Danny
22-May-2010, 03:45 AM
Love The Langoliers. I own the VHS - however, my VCR hasn't been in operation in about 2 years, and may never be again, so who knows when I'll see it again.

Awhile back i was looking through an unopened box from my move a few months back and found an old vhs tape and for a fraction of a second i thought "wait, what the hell is this?" a second later it clicked but damn, been over a decade now since i switched to discs for everything and now its only discs for certain things. certainly not music so finding a vhs was unusual. they dont seem to have the kitch value or vinyl or lasertiscs i reckon there gonna jsut be like casettes and just be gone.

Hell i wouldnt be surprised if theres a few tweens now who dont know what a vhs tape is.

MikePizzoff
22-May-2010, 03:14 PM
Hell i wouldnt be surprised if theres a few tweens now who dont know what a vhs tape is.

I'm 100% positive there are plenty of teens that have no clue what VHS is.

There were people my age in my Electronic Media class last semester that had no idea what vinyl was. :mad::annoyed::barf:

Mike70
23-May-2010, 04:54 AM
There were people my age in my Electronic Media class last semester that had no idea what vinyl was. :mad::annoyed::barf:

i'm sure that you told folks to check themselves before they wrecked themselves over that. if'n i remember correctly, you are a big, big fan of vinyl.

rongravy
23-May-2010, 05:54 AM
The only Stephen King deal worth its salt from start to finish screenwise is The Stand. The Langoliers was interesting until you realise they are being chased by metal Pac Mans or something. Everyone always screws up the endings.
I really liked his books as a kid but rereading them now...
Kinda gay.
I like Clive Barker stuff alot better.

Tricky
23-May-2010, 11:20 AM
I'm 100% positive there are plenty of teens that have no clue what VHS is.

Even worse, theres plenty of teens & people in their early 20's who dont know what a Master system, Game Gear, NES, or Megadrive are! :eek: the only ones who know are those who actively seek out retro gaming (i.e. geeky students & emo kids)

SRP76
24-May-2010, 04:11 AM
The richer the kids are, the more likely they are to not know what you're talking about. They could afford all the newest technological crap the instant it came out.

Poor kids are more likely to have been exposed to old (cheaper) things. For instance, CDs (and, more importantly, their retardedly-expensive players) came out in the mid-80s, but I was stuck listening to cassettes until 1991. Why? Because that's what poor folks have to do.

MikePizzoff
24-May-2010, 04:59 AM
i'm sure that you told folks to check themselves before they wrecked themselves over that. if'n i remember correctly, you are a big, big fan of vinyl.

Yes sir. My collection of albums I actually enjoy is around 500 LP's and 100 7"s. On top of that, I've got hundreds of other LP's of oldies, classical, polka, light rock, jazz, etc. that I don't ever listen to, but can't bare to part with.

Poor kids are more likely to have been exposed to old (cheaper) things. For instance, CDs (and, more importantly, their retardedly-expensive players) came out in the mid-80s, but I was stuck listening to cassettes until 1991. Why? Because that's what poor folks have to do.

I know what you mean. My Mother and I didn't even have a CD player/CD's until 1995 when a Sega CD was cheap enough for her to buy me... so we technically didn't even have a CD player that year.

Wow, this thread veered way off course.

Legion2213
24-May-2010, 07:24 PM
I downloaded and watched this several years ago...I thought it was ok.

Eyebiter
26-May-2010, 12:11 PM
The Scifi Channel runs both the Langoliers and Stand miniseries three or four times a year.