PDA

View Full Version : Horror Remakes - WHY WHY WHY

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2010, 01:16 PM
I understand Hollyweird wants to make money, I also understand there is a market to remake certains films because of profits or whatever, but goddamn, is that hard to find a writer/director that actually gives a fuck about the source material?

Aside from DOTD04 and TCM 2003, every other horror remake has been total shit. While DOTD04 and TCM 2003 aren't without their flaws, the lastest crop of horror remakes just sickens me to no end and makes me wonder how anyone can just sit by and let them destory a legacy genre.

Seriously, Halloween, ANOES, F13, etc etc... shit shit shit and more shit. Did these bozos go back and watch the original films? Did they even look into what made these films click?

How hard is it to pop on IMDB and read message boards for the originals get some friggin fan input? The horror community is by and large a great resource for any filmmaker taking on a remake project, why not get some friggin feedback or insight before you jump in and ruin legacy genre flicks.

I guess as a filmmaker I like to hear what people have to say or what they talk about, but these bozos collection $500K paychecks for directing and the writer getting $250K for a script can't be bothered to do a little friggin' research before they go and fuck something up. A Perfect example of this would be the Day remake. Did Jeffery Riddick actually think changing Bub to Bud and making him a vegan was a great idea????

This bozo is supposed to be at Monster Mania in Baltimore this September and I want to go up to him and ask him WTF he was thinking.

Since livig in the baltimore/dc area and being a part of the indie community I have read some really awesome screenplays and I have read some total shit screenplays. I am starting to wonder if fans of the genre should just click on PAYPAL and donate money to fund these projects.

There are at least a million or two horror fans across the globe and I am sure if each one kicked in a $1 or $2 they could easily help fund and participate in the process. Maybe the industry needs to shift in that direction and we will see what happens.

Anyway, sorry to rant and go off this morning but after sitting through that shitfest known as Day 08 last night for some ungodly torture filled reason I simply couldn't sit down and bite my tongue about the sad state of affairs in the horror genre.

If anyone can explain it to me it would be appreciated.

bassman
15-Jun-2010, 01:30 PM
A Perfect example of this would be the Day remake. Did Jeffery Riddick actually think changing Bub to Bud and making him a vegan was a great idea????

I think he did. Wasn't he one of the guys bragging about how great the film would be? He quickly vanished once the film was released.:lol:

Anyway, I've gotten to the point that I don't give a rat's ass about the remakes. Whatever. Let them make their money, it's not hurting me at all. The originals will ALWAYS be there on the shelf. Waiting for the viewer to pop it in and say "wow they really fucked up that remake".

Besides.....the horror genre isn't as great as some make it out to be. I hate to be the one to say it, but most horror films are pretty shitty. Whether it be an original work or a remake. Very few horror directors can make a good film. Then you've got these other guys making junk like the original Friday's, Halloweens, and Elm Streets. Yep...they're all cheap teen flicks that for some reason get credit because of the time they were made.

The horror genre is 90% bullshit, 5% decent, and 5% great. I don't see why you would think these remakes would be any different. Every once in a while a great one will come along, but that will be few and far between floating in a sea of shit.

So basically I just hope for the best, but in the back of my mind i'm prepared for a let down. Just shrug it off and move on to the next flick. They're just entertainment.

JDFP
15-Jun-2010, 01:50 PM
While I most vehemently disagree about Rob Zombie's "Halloween" being 'shit' (I thought it was fantastic and will always defend it against naysayers), I generally agree with everything else you've said here. The state of contemporary horror is a joke. What makes your thread a little different then all of our other threads complaining about horror today being utter crap is the suggestion you made about individuals helping to contribute to new horror films that don't suck -- I'm sure there would be some type of Screen Guild restrictions against such a thing taking place though. I'd be interested in the concept though as I'd love to help be a part of GREAT horror films again.

j.p.

AcesandEights
15-Jun-2010, 01:57 PM
http://classicalwainui.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/oedipus.jpg

Did he stab his own eyes out from one too many film remakes or having to read the same dead horse on these forums over and over? :p

LouCipherr
15-Jun-2010, 02:07 PM
"Horror Remakes - WHY WHY WHY"

It's simple, Dj - remaking movies that had an iconic figure (Freddy, Jason, whatever), made money "back in the day" or had a cult following means hollywood can cash in on easy $ without doing the work of being original.

It all boils down to:

A) lack of originality
B) quick cash grab, which they are desperate for
C) stupidity & ignorance

/thread

DjfunkmasterG
15-Jun-2010, 02:18 PM
While I most vehemently disagree about Rob Zombie's "Halloween" being 'shit' (I thought it was fantastic and will always defend it against naysayers), I generally agree with everything else you've said here. The state of contemporary horror is a joke. What makes your thread a little different then all of our other threads complaining about horror today being utter crap is the suggestion you made about individuals helping to contribute to new horror films that don't suck -- I'm sure there would be some type of Screen Guild restrictions against such a thing taking place though. I'd be interested in the concept though as I'd love to help be a part of GREAT horror films again.

j.p.

I think it would have to be done on a non-union indie level, and you would be surprised at the talent, notable name horror/non-horror talent willing to work outside of the unions because they believe in the craft and aren't willing to be stymied by governing rules that could potentially hold things/someone back.

I am seriously going to investigate what i discussed and see how it can best be done.

Gary

Trin
15-Jun-2010, 02:18 PM
Lack of originality is driven by profits. Would you rather:
- take a risk on an untried concept that might break out but might flop?
or
- fund a known concept with a more modest top end but an almost guaranteed profit?

Ultimately movie backers are finance guys, not artists. They want consistent profits not critical acclaim, and they don't care about "vision" unless your vision is them rolling in money.

What do remakes offer? Known concepts with a ready-built fanbase. That's about as close to guaranteed profit as you can get.

Why do they go horribly wrong? Because the artists get involved and want it to be more than the original. They inject their own vision without concentrating on what made the original a breakout success.

LouCipherr
15-Jun-2010, 02:27 PM
Ultimately movie backers are finance guys, not artists. They want consistent profits not critical acclaim, and they don't care about "vision" unless your vision is them rolling in money.

Therein lies the biggest problem.