PDA

View Full Version : So is this getting a UK showing?

Andy
09-Aug-2010, 07:26 PM
Apologies for my ignorance, ive been away from broadband and sky for too long.. is this series getting a UK showing and what channel should i keep an eye out for if it is?

bassman
09-Aug-2010, 07:35 PM
Yes. AMC partnered up with Fox and one of the producers at comic con said that no matter where you live in the world, you'll see TWD in October.

We've just learned that it premieres in the states on October 24th, so I imagine you guys will probably get it sometime around then as well. Your FXHD network is supposed to be showing a trailer tomorrow, so look for the date on that. :)

Exciting, isn't it? :hyper:

Ghost Of War
09-Aug-2010, 07:38 PM
Yeah, like he said, FX and FXHD are showing it over here in October. I'm glad it's on that channel, one of my favourites.

kidgloves
09-Aug-2010, 10:34 PM
Your FXHD network is supposed to be showing a trailer tomorrow, so look for the date on that. :)

Internet only tomorrow i think

http://walkingdead.fxuk.com/

SymphonicX
08-Sep-2010, 03:43 PM
well my lot haven't said anything about acquiring it so it'll most likely be on C4, E4, FX, or probably Hallmark hahaha

bassman
13-Sep-2010, 03:18 PM
Here's (http://adage.com/mediaworks/article?article_id=145850) a nice little article covering the marketing and release of TWD. Apparently it's one of the first shows to be aired simultaneously as a global event. And the marketing sounds like it's going to be fun.

So whether it be on Halloween night like the US or shortly after, it looks like we'll all be seeing the show within a few days, at least. If not less...

Local TV networks are increasingly trying to keep more up to date with U.S. TV schedules, heeding viewers' demand for new shows and fears that they will inadvertently come across "spoilers" online. For example, many channels showed the finale of ABC's hit "Lost" in simulcast with the U.S. broadcast in May, because there was great fear among fans they would find out what happened by mistake. In the U.K., the BBC has brought forward the latest season of AMC's "Mad Men" in response to the show's growing number of fans. Now the U.K. is only six episodes behind, rather than six months as before.

"'The Walking Dead' is the first time a series has launched to audiences internationally so close to its premiere in the U.S., and the first time FIC is launching an entertainment show across all of our channels at almost the same time," said Alexandra Marinescu, FIC senior director-marketing and communications. "Considering the global scale, we wanted to make sure that viewers from Buenos Aires to Moscow are targeted with the same core campaign, so that we have consistency in the messaging."

Starting later this month, the campaign will run in Europe, Latin America, Asia and Africa in on-air, outdoor and print advertising, as well as guerrilla marketing, PR stunts and trade marketing. The exception will be the U.S., where AMC, which is airing the show, is doing its own campaign.

Fittingly, the series will premiere in the U.S. on Halloween, Oct. 31. This marks the first time AMC has signed with a single distributor for international rights. FIC estimates the show will reach an audience speaking 33 languages over those 120 countries. The graphic novel of "The Walking Dead," written by Robert Kirkman and published in 2003, tells the story of a group of people who have survived a zombie disaster and are trying to find a safe, secure place to live.

SymphonicX
17-Sep-2010, 07:38 AM
Confirmed:

I'm cutting promos for this now - its going to be on FX HD hopefully in October (the show, not the promo.) in the UK.

bassman
17-Sep-2010, 11:49 AM
You're working on promos for TWD? Awesome, man. Do tell, do tell.

bassman
17-Sep-2010, 10:15 PM
Looking at this new poster, it seems that the official date for our UK friends is November 5th.

http://www.twdfanclub.net/wa-uk-ing-dead-revised-570x701.jpg

5 days isn't too bad, although I thought it would be sooner...

Andy
17-Sep-2010, 11:03 PM
Seems really odd to me that their missing out on a halloween night premier by 5 days? Surely it would make more sense to show it a week earlier..

Neil
18-Sep-2010, 06:27 AM
Looking at this new poster, it seems that the official date for our UK friends is November 5th.

Really do not get it... So they're risking people obtaining the US airings of the episode(s), instead of watching it in the UK (or what ever country)? Thus risking the advertising revenue!

I don't understand why they simply cannot be shown at the same time (day)...

kidgloves
18-Sep-2010, 10:13 AM

http://www.twdfanclub.net/wa-uk-ing-dead-revised-570x701.jpg

Its been confirmed for Nov 5th for quite some time now.
I'll be watchiing the day after Halloween though:D

dracenstein
18-Sep-2010, 04:44 PM
But will the dvd be out in time for Christmas? I don't get FX.

SymphonicX
19-Sep-2010, 10:51 AM
You're working on promos for TWD? Awesome, man. Do tell, do tell.

It's just a corporate thing really, nothing that's going to broadcast unfortunately. Just a nice channel highlights reel and TWD is on there...

Neil
14-Oct-2010, 12:58 PM
Its been confirmed for Nov 5th for quite some time now.
I'll be watchiing the day after Halloween though:D

Do we know what time in the evening it's on?

kidgloves
14-Oct-2010, 06:24 PM

It's on in front of True Blood with airs at 10pm Fridays

MinionZombie
14-Oct-2010, 06:24 PM

Past your bed time? ;)

Seriously though, I'd wager 10pm.

Neil
14-Oct-2010, 07:46 PM
It's on at 9pm? No way! Too early surely!?!?

kidgloves
14-Oct-2010, 08:06 PM
It's on at 9pm? No way! Too early surely!?!?

Don't forget is a 1 1/2 hr show as well so maybe their pushing True Blood back until The Walking Dead finishes

Neil
15-Oct-2010, 07:38 AM
I can't believe they're going to put it on at 9pm. It's too early!

MinionZombie
15-Oct-2010, 10:40 AM

Or maybe it just makes the UK even more awesome. :D

I'd forgotten about the first episode being a feature length one as well ... ooooooh, another reason to do the 'boner dance of anticipation'. :D

Neil
15-Oct-2010, 10:42 AM
Or maybe it just makes the UK even more awesome. :D

I'd forgotten about the first episode being a feature length one as well ... ooooooh, another reason to do the 'boner dance of anticipation'. :D

Three weeks to go... tick... tick... tick...

Andy
16-Oct-2010, 07:10 PM

Was the first part of deadset not a 9pm showing?

Neil
17-Oct-2010, 10:00 PM
Was the first part of deadset not a 9pm showing?
Can't recall!?

Danny
17-Oct-2010, 10:26 PM
its after the water shed dude, that and 'normal' people go to sleep by like 10-10:30 so its a pretty reasonable time :)

kidgloves
18-Oct-2010, 02:22 PM
10pm it is then

http://www.blogomatic3000.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/New_FX_48sht_Proof.jpg

Marty
22-Oct-2010, 11:40 AM
Putting it out on FX is really crap for me... I dont have that channel. I love all things zombie but dont watch enough telly to justify getting another channel. whats wrong with BBC or ITV?

MinionZombie
22-Oct-2010, 12:42 PM
BBC would never show it in a million years. It'll be way too gory for them, I'd imagine, or too good really. They don't "do" zombies, the BBC. I remember they showed Dawn a few years back and it was cut to ribbons, and ITV have plenty of financial woes to be dealing with so they couldn't afford it no doubt, but if they did have some cash to spare they'd be more likely to buy it out of those two ... however, you never know, perhaps Channel 4 will pick it up for terrestrial/freeview UK airing.

Neil
22-Oct-2010, 01:19 PM
BBC would never show it in a million years. It'll be way too gory for them, I'd imagine, or too good really. They don't "do" zombies, the BBC. I remember they showed Dawn a few years back and it was cut to ribbons, and ITV have plenty of financial woes to be dealing with so they couldn't afford it no doubt, but if they did have some cash to spare they'd be more likely to buy it out of those two ... however, you never know, perhaps Channel 4 will pick it up for terrestrial/freeview UK airing.Yeh, not really BBCs or ITVs bag is it... Channel 4 maybe...

BotOZombie
23-Oct-2010, 03:15 PM
They don't "do" zombies, the BBC. I remember they showed Dawn a few years back and it was cut to ribbons.

Speaking of which Dawn of the Dead is on BBC4 on Monday (10pm for those that were interested). Im going to give it a watch to see how it differs from my DVD which from what I can gather is missing some good bits.

MinionZombie
23-Oct-2010, 04:18 PM
Speaking of which Dawn of the Dead is on BBC4 on Monday (10pm for those that were interested). Im going to give it a watch to see how it differs from my DVD which from what I can gather is missing some good bits.

Which DVD version do you have? There was a release by BMG a few years ago, or many years ago now, that was missing 6 seconds. However it should be, and has been, uncut in the UK for a long time now.

Yeah it'll be interesting to see if they do chop anything out of Dawn on BBC4. I'd be surprised if they didn't, they just don't have the *ahem* guts to leave such a film intact. At least they didn't several years ago on BBC2.

BotOZombie
23-Oct-2010, 05:01 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawn-Dead-DVD-David-Emge/dp/B0002WYROQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287853116&sr=1-4

It was this one Minion. Up until buying this DVD (a couple of years ago) I had never seen Dawn of the Dead believe it or not, so when I bought it I wasnt aware of which way to go.

MinionZombie
23-Oct-2010, 05:42 PM
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dawn-Dead-DVD-David-Emge/dp/B0002WYROQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1287853116&sr=1-4

It was this one Minion. Up until buying this DVD (a couple of years ago) I had never seen Dawn of the Dead believe it or not, so when I bought it I wasnt aware of which way to go.

http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/film.php?fid=676#overall

DVDCompare says the Arrow release for the UK is uncut (restoring the aforementioned 6 seconds) - a couple of other releases, one by Anchor Bay and one by BMG are, however, cut. So yours should by uncut.

* R0 America - (Anchor Bay - 20th Anniversary Edition) - No cuts
* R0 America - (Anchor Bay - The Director\'s Cut) - No cuts
* R0 Australia - (Umbrella Entertainment) - No Cuts (126:59 - PAL)
* R0 Holland- Dutch Filmworks - No cuts. Comparing the Argento versions between the AB UE set and this release, the end credits are different (fonts and where the credits are placed).
* R0 United Kingdom- Arrow Films - No cuts, restoring the 6 seconds of cuts previously made by the BBFC.
* R1 America - (Anchor Bay - DiviMax series (single disc)) - No cuts
* R1 SE America- Anchor Bay - DiviMax (European version) - Dario Argento Cut.
* R1 SE America- Anchor Bay - The Ultimate Edition (4-disc) - (America - The Ultimate Edition - 4-disc) - All 3 versions.
* R2 France - (Opening) - No cuts
* R2 Germany - (Astro) - No cuts
* R2 Italy- Alan Young Pictures - No cuts.
* R2 Italy - (CVC) - No cuts
* R2 CE Italy- Alan Young Pictures - No cuts. All 3 versions.
* R2 United Kingdom- Anchor Bay UK - box set - (United Kingdom - Box set) -Yes - This disc in the box set is cut by 6 seconds:
-A male zombie's head being blown off by a shot-gun (one second)
-A black zombie biting his wife's arm (we still see the bite, but not the spurt of blood immediately afterwards) (one second)
-Two zombie kids being blown away (four seconds)
* R2 United Kingdom- BMG - original - (United Kingdom - Original BMG) - Yes - This version is cut by 6 seconds:
-A male zombie's head being blown off by a shot-gun (one second)
-A black zombie biting his wife's arm (we still see the bite, but not the spurt of blood immediately afterwards) (one second)
-Two zombie kids being blown away (four seconds)
* R2 United Kingdom- BMG - re-release - (United Kingdom - BMG re-release) - No cuts, restoring the 6 seconds of cuts previously made by the BBFC.

Or do you mean which version of the movie BBC4 are showing/you have? The Arrow DVD says on Amazon that it's 139 minutes (which would be the Extended Cannes Cut), but DVDCompare says its the US Theatrical Version (which is about 120 minutes) ... BBC4 are showing the US Theatrical Version.

Personally I prefer the Extended 139 minute Cannes Cut, especially as it's how I first saw Dawn.

BotOZombie
23-Oct-2010, 07:29 PM
Do you know I may have just wasted your time.

After I originally watched it I went online to read up on it a bit and saw mention of the headshot, blood spurt, Zombie kids etc.. being cut. I didnt recall seeing them on my DVD so went back to fast forward through to see if I could see them the day after and again didnt see them.

Well after seeing you response I went through again anod found all the cut bit straight away, so it seems I do have an uncut version. I really need to watch it again as I have only watched it once and the bits I have watched tonight seemed even better on a second viewing.

Sorry for dragging the thread off topic, and cheers for pointing out I have have a full version of the film.

MinionZombie
24-Oct-2010, 09:37 AM
No worries BotOZombie. :)

Tricky
26-Oct-2010, 11:44 AM
So then guys, whats the Jaques Chirac for us UK folks? What date/time do I need to ask my dad to set up his sky plus to record it for me? :)

MinionZombie
26-Oct-2010, 12:02 PM
So then guys, whats the Jaques Chirac for us UK folks? What date/time do I need to ask my dad to set up his sky plus to record it for me? :)

9pm November 5th on FX apparently. I'd double-check if I were you of course, but that's apparently when.

kidgloves
26-Oct-2010, 06:06 PM

Friday Nov 5th 10pm. No commercials

Tricky
26-Oct-2010, 06:19 PM
Aye our Sky magazine turned up today & theres a double page spread about TWD in there, it says it starts thursday the 4th though!

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2010, 10:13 AM
Aye our Sky magazine turned up today & theres a double page spread about TWD in there, it says it starts thursday the 4th though!

Thursday the 4th now? Just checked my Sky magazine and there's a conflict in there. In the front of the mag on the big list of scheduled shows it says Friday Nov 5th at 10pm, but on the double page spread you mentioned it says Thursday Nov 4th 10pm.

Weird. Hopefully it really is the 4th, but I'm wondering if that's a mistake...

http://walkingdead.fxuk.com/

(from October 20th, so quite recently)

The Walking Dead premiere - advert free on FX

We are very happy to be able to confirm the FX UK premiere of The The Walking Dead. This will take place on Friday 5th November at 10pm.

We are launching with Frank Darabont’s directors’ cut which comes in at almost 70 minutes, rather than a ‘normal’ length episode in a hour slot ( which runs for around 44 minutes).

To add to your enjoyment FX UK have decided to run this special premiere episode free of adverts. There will be no breaks, just seventy minutes of pure, uninterrupted The Walking Dead in glorious HD.

Episodes 2-6 will go out from 10-11pm every Friday.

The Walking Dead. 5.11.10. 10pm. Stay In.

So I think the "Director's Cut" thing I heard on the trailer, which made us Brits think we were getting something more than the Americalanders, was in fact just pertaining to this premiere episode. So the Americans can rejoice at that then. :p

Anyway, 70 minutes of Walking Dead without adverts and those annoying FXUK idents with those wibbly bits of red flying around everywhere? Yes please!

Still seems to be Friday 5th November at 10pm though, which, to be honest, makes more sense to me than Thursday. Friday is a big TV night in the UK.

Neil
27-Oct-2010, 11:32 AM
That can't be right surely? So the US episode is 44mins of footage (excluding adverts), where as the UK version is 70mins (excluding adverts)?

There's no way it can have 26mins more footage!?!?! WOW! How can there be that much unused footage? Unless they're using stuff shot on purpose for a DVD extended version?

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2010, 11:39 AM
That can't be right surely? So the US episode is 44mins of footage (excluding adverts), where as the UK version is 70mins (excluding adverts)?

There's no way it can have 26mins more footage!?!?! WOW! How can there be that much unused footage? Unless they're using stuff shot on purpose for a DVD extended version?

I thought the AMC airing of the first episode was going to be the Darabont-length version? :confused:

bassman
27-Oct-2010, 12:01 PM

No....the only difference between the US and UK versions is that you guys don't have commercials. The episode is 67 minutes long. That's what you guys will be seeing. It will only be 90 over here because they'll add commercials to it.

So as of now it appears everyone is getting the same version. They're just calling it a directors cut because of a lack of commercials.

Neil
27-Oct-2010, 12:05 PM
No....the only difference between the US and UK versions is that you guys don't have commercials. The episode is 67 minutes long. That's what you guys will be seeing. It will only be 90 over here because they'll add commercials to it.

So as of now it appears everyone is getting the same version. They're just calling it a directors cut because of a lack of commercials.

Aha, that makes more sense! Don't quite get "The Director's Cut" though! Typically that means something is different footage wise?!!?

bassman
27-Oct-2010, 12:08 PM
Of course i'm just judging by what I've seen. The screener recently leaked is the AMC edit(with the logo in the corner) and clocks in around 67 minutes. Then all the promos for the UK cut say it clocks in just under 70 minutes. Which i'm taking to mean around 67. So I'm venturing a guess that the only real difference is the commercials.

MinionZombie
27-Oct-2010, 05:53 PM
Well they may be saying "Director's Cut" due to the length of the episode being beyond the usual 44 minute running time, which goes into a one-hour-with-adverts slot on telly.

Although PAL runs faster than NTSC, so in theory the running time should be shorter than the American one. So saying "70 minutes" must be short hand, rather than specific. If anything, being in PAL, it should run something like 65 minutes due to PAL speed up ... did the screener that some desperate souls have the credits on the end?

I'm being a good boy and waiting till launch day. It'd be worse to see the first episode, explode my ballsack all over myself, and then have to wait 2 or 3 times longer than normal for the second episode ... so better to wait for the official launch, in my view. :)

BotOZombie
28-Oct-2010, 11:39 AM
did the screener that some desperate souls have the credits on the end?

explode my ballsack all over myself

Im pretty certain there were credits at the end. With reference to the second point I would keep the tissues close by, after reading your posts Im certain you will get a huge kick out of the pilot.

Neil
28-Oct-2010, 11:46 AM
explode my ballsack all over myself:hyper::stunned: