PDA

View Full Version : The Walking Dead - Comic Book Series Discussion (**SPOILERS**)

MinionZombie
10-Aug-2010, 04:57 PM
Use this thread to discuss the Walking Dead comic series freely.

Warning - there will be spoilers about the comic book arcs in this thread.

BillyRay
10-Aug-2010, 05:10 PM
Warning - there will be spoilers about the comic book arcs in this thread.

Like Rick's 4-color superhero fever dream?

Legion2213
12-Aug-2010, 11:38 PM
My two collected hardback volumes (containing issues 1-24) have shipped from Amazon. Hopefully, I will have them by Saturday. :cool:

sandrock74
13-Aug-2010, 01:51 AM
YES! I've been awaiting a thread like this!

Now, I find myself unable to come up with something to discuss. :(

BotOZombie
14-Aug-2010, 08:18 PM
Hello folks.

It has been a few years since I have logged in, but my interest has been massively triggered by the news of The Walking Dead TV series. I am seeking advice on if I should buy TWD comic books while waiting for the DVD release (I have no cable/sky) or should I wait to enjoy the story on the screen? Also I have no comic reading history apart from Dandy and Beano when I was a nipper.

I have been looking on Amazon.co.uk and the best option seems to be the The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 for the first 48 volumes, although im sceptical it is in stock due to the anticipated delivery time.

So the questions are

A) should I buy them or wait
B) what version should I buy.

Thank in advance and sorry if I have posted in the wrong place.

Edit - I have just realised my last sign in would have been 2006

Mr.G
14-Aug-2010, 09:10 PM
Like Rick's 4-color superhero fever dream?

No way man, those aliens are real!

---------- Post added at 05:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

Hello folks.

It has been a few years since I have logged in, but my interest has been massively triggered by the news of The Walking Dead TV series. I am seeking advice on if I should buy TWD comic books while waiting for the DVD release (I have no cable/sky) or should I wait to enjoy the story on the screen? Also I have no comic reading history apart from Dandy and Beano when I was a nipper.

I have been looking on Amazon.co.uk and the best option seems to be the The Walking Dead Compendium Volume 1 for the first 48 volumes, although im sceptical it is in stock due to the anticipated delivery time.

So the questions are

A) should I buy them or wait
B) what version should I buy.

Thank in advance and sorry if I have posted in the wrong place.

Edit - I have just realised my last sign in would have been 2006

I've been buying since issue #1 and the during the first few years, I'd tell you to wait for the trade due to lateness. However, over the last 2 years or so, Kirkman & Co has been on time (12 issues a year). It's one of the first comics I read when I receive my pull pile.

ProfessorChaos
14-Aug-2010, 09:12 PM
welcome back, stranger. i myself have the annual hardcover books, probably much easier go pack around than a huge compendium behemoth. and read it...while the tv series is gonna be awesome, there's a long while to go before they catch up on some of the awesome events of the comics...additionally, the tv series won't follow the comics exactly, and it's worth reading regardless.

BotOZombie
15-Aug-2010, 07:59 AM
I agree about the size of the compendium it looks huge so I think I may buy volume 1 of the paper back to see if I like it or not. Plus it is much cheaper than the Hardcover versions.

Danny
15-Aug-2010, 08:08 AM
try the first issue, first tastes always free http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?gid=1358

Legion2213
15-Aug-2010, 12:16 PM
I agree about the size of the compendium it looks huge so I think I may buy volume 1 of the paper back to see if I like it or not. Plus it is much cheaper than the Hardcover versions.

Actually it works out around the same if you are buying them in 2's (2 TPB's = 1 HB), which is why I went for the hardbacks (which better bloody well be here Monday...I was gutted when they didn't turn up yesterday). :(

I nearly went for the big-ass Compendium, but it looked a bit unwieldly.

Mr.G
15-Aug-2010, 12:56 PM
I nearly went for the big-ass Compendium, but it looked a bit unwieldly.

Come on, take a chance! You English folks are too used to your consise-sized newspapers...my Liverpool born wife always complains about reading the dailys here and needing two arms to look at the whole thing. ;)

Legion2213
15-Aug-2010, 01:04 PM
Come on, take a chance! You English folks are too used to your consise-sized newspapers...my Liverpool born wife always complains about reading the dailys here and needing two arms to look at the whole thing. ;)

Hey! I'll have you know that our comics are bigger than those puny little American ones! :D

Seriously though, the compendium is over 1000 pages, to get to the heart of that is going to mean cracking the spine a fair bit (which I hate doing to my books). Hardbacks just sort of fall open. :)

BotOZombie
15-Aug-2010, 02:23 PM
try the first issue, first tastes always free http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?gid=1358

Thanks for that hellsing. I can see why people like the series as this story alone has a lot of charm. The zombie design is great and there are some that could potentially look great on the big screen. I think I will buy volume one and take it from there based upon reading this.

Obviously we have seen the bike woman, but also the Z at the police station and the one who took the trip down the steps with Rick could look good on screen. I hope the TV show lingers on the time spent with Morgan to fill in for Rick and the viewer what has happened while he was in the coma

Seriously though, the compendium is over 1000 pages, to get to the heart of that is going to mean cracking the spine a fair bit (which I hate doing to my books). Hardbacks just sort of fall open. :)

That was my thought too. I suspect you would start with one big 1000 page book and end up with several books of differing sizes!!!

Legion2213
15-Aug-2010, 02:45 PM
That was my thought too. I suspect you would start with one big 1000 page book and end up with several books of differing sizes!!!

Good call. :lol:

Dr Tongue
16-Aug-2010, 03:00 AM
I love this series so much. I can't believe it has been so long since I have been reading it monthly(Since 2004.) time flies.

I am starting to dig this new arc. Anyone read 76? That community is in trouble, either by characters from its past, or the survivors that were near Glen in this issue. "Was that a Motorcycle?". And what is with that "Next time" cover? That looked a bit like Maggie.

Legion2213
16-Aug-2010, 10:33 AM
And volumes 1&2 are here in all of their hardback, look sweet on the coffee table or book case glory... :cool:

I think that is my reading material for the week all stitched up. :)

Mr.G
16-Aug-2010, 11:57 AM
And volumes 1&2 are here in all of their hardback, look sweet on the coffee table or book case glory... :cool:

I think that is my reading material for the week all stitched up. :)

Those are great hardbacks. I have 1-4...every once in a while amazon has a buy one get one free sale. I'm not sure if it works in the UK but it's worth a shot. Happy reading!

SuprJoinT
16-Aug-2010, 04:15 PM
What did you guys think about issue #75, the dream sequence and all??? I remember reading the early letter columns, and Kirkman saying he would do that if they got to 75 issues and he had run out of ideas, so I thought it was cool.

Just read 76 this morning, not one zombie in it, but very cool info regarding the community they are in now.

Legion2213
16-Aug-2010, 04:24 PM
Those are great hardbacks. I have 1-4...every once in a while amazon has a buy one get one free sale. I'm not sure if it works in the UK but it's worth a shot. Happy reading!

They tend to do that more with CD's/DVD's over here, that said, I've not noticed any offers like that recently.

I've a funny feeling that once I've hammered the volumes 1&2, I will grab the other 3 that are currently available (then wait until October for Vol 6).

Danny
16-Aug-2010, 08:04 PM
What did you guys think about issue #75, the dream sequence and all??? I remember reading the early letter columns, and Kirkman saying he would do that if they got to 75 issues and he had run out of ideas, so I thought it was cool.

Just read 76 this morning, not one zombie in it, but very cool info regarding the community they are in now.

76 was a goddamn excellent issue in a very reinvigorating story arc. Not a single zombie, well, maybe one in a teeny panel, but bugger me this is great dramatic writing.

You people just getting into it have a LOT to look forward too, after the slow prison arc it just keeps getting better.

Dr Tongue
16-Aug-2010, 11:15 PM
I honestly thought the end of the Prison Arc was the best. After issue 49 it slowly picked up, and is finally on gear toward more epic stuff to happen'.

That is my opinion, anyway.

mista_mo
17-Aug-2010, 12:55 AM
Tyreese and Lori, and Shanes kid all die

Dr Tongue
17-Aug-2010, 02:44 AM
Tyreese and Lori, and Shanes kid all die

It doesn't help that Patricia, Alice, Billy, Hershel, Lori, Judith, and the Govna' all die in one friggin' issue. Seems like Kirkman was doing some spring cleaning. It's a shame, as Hershel was one of my favorite characters.

Skold
17-Aug-2010, 04:16 AM
Yeah, issue 50 was pretty brutal. i have a feeling that the series (if it lasts that long) will handle this kind of thing better; simply because they, as Kirkman himself said, have a roomful of writers while he just wrote it in his den.

BotOZombie
19-Aug-2010, 06:19 PM
Well my copy of Volume One (the paperback version) arrived today and I have read through from start to finish in one sitting. I have to say I was ready not to like it as im not a comic type of guy but I was gripped and couldnt put it down. Im leave in a couple of weeks and intend to order a few more volumes to keep me busy.

Ill be giving this one another ready before I do though!!

Dr Tongue
20-Aug-2010, 12:25 AM
Well my copy of Volume One (the paperback version) arrived today and I have read through from start to finish in one sitting. I have to say I was ready not to like it as im not a comic type of guy but I was gripped and couldnt put it down. Im leave in a couple of weeks and intend to order a few more volumes to keep me busy.

Ill be giving this one another ready before I do though!!

Beware though, starting in the next TPB, the artist changes from Tony Moore to Charlie Aldard. I prefer the latter, but some were turned off by the change.

BotOZombie
20-Aug-2010, 10:35 AM
I noticed that and I have to say I have my fingers crossed that the replacement artist is an improvement because I think the artwork is a huge selling point of Volume One, it is just great to look at.

CooperWasRight
20-Aug-2010, 12:15 PM
It's nice that there is finally a twd thread... That was the one thing I noticed when I migrated that basically no one was reading this book... Also Adlard is really not even in the same ballpark as Moore... But the writing is mostly so good it makes up for it... I think there has been some misfires by Kirkman(the guv was kind of a cartoon and and became a bad plot device) and tpb readers will not be put through some of the suffering monthly readers go through... But overall those who are just jumping in have a nice ride ahead of em.

Dr Tongue
20-Aug-2010, 06:46 PM
I actually am not a fan of Tony Moore's art. I can just never get into the stuff he does, I have no idea why. I'm not saying Aldard is amazing, but I just prefer his art.

And I loved the Govna'. :(

CooperWasRight
20-Aug-2010, 07:51 PM
I actually am not a fan of Tony Moore's art. I can just never get into the stuff he does, I have no idea why. I'm not saying Aldard is amazing, but I just prefer his art.

And I loved the Govna'. :(

The guv was ok until he literally turned into a b-grade bad guy who just would not die...

and for the record this:http://i49.tinypic.com/nqbaix.jpg
Sealed the deal...
I couldn't not think of this:
http://ciscowong.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/dsc01636.jpg

When Kirkman started to try and ham fist title selling archs into his writing style is when the book started to loose something.. Up until that he mostly stuck with loose archs and writing by the seat of his pants... And the guv would have croaked from Michonne work... And if not infection would have surely finished him off...

Kirkman decided to part from his normally very realistic stlye in favor of keeping the villain around for his 6part story arch to sell books... And he returned to that traditional comic b.s. like less then ten issues later with the hunter arch with basically the same marketing tilte "How will live and who will die?" It seems doubly redundant as beside that being the catch phrase for the end of the prison/major guv arch but that has been a staple of the entire series.

As I said earlier if someone was not a monthly reader they may not have been bombarded with these adds and also would not have to wait a month (sometimes 3) between issues so without that kind of wait maybe more forgiving of some of said issues... This was a pretty heated issue over at the image forums.. Many got banned and Kirkman lost a lot of long time twd fans over the major guv arch.

I can say im personally glad the book is back to what makes it good and the book seems to be back on a monthly basis... That is another big issue I have... As a monthly reader since around issue 9 there has been WAY too many schedule delays and there is always some lame excuse and then an apology stating there is no excuse and that it wont happen again... For a while i stopped paying for the comic and just dl'd it and then every 3 or 4 months I would go in and pick up the issues for my collection.... Again not that much of an issue if your a tpb reader... But for the folks ho are the monthly readers(i.e. the people that mad twd a success that warranted the tpb's to be printed) it is kind of a slap in the face to continually fall so far behind... The should be at issue 82 not 76.

Dr Tongue
20-Aug-2010, 10:48 PM
I have been reading since the beginning, I am not a newcomer, and I see your point. Don't get me wrong, I remember the shit storm that went over at the image forums. And I do remember analyzing every cover in the '40's', anticipating something epic to go down.(I remember when some people on Kirkman's Image forum thought that Michonne was pointing the gun at Lori and Judith.).

I also do remember waiting too damned long for a monthly comic book, and being told by Kirkman that he would make it up to us, then next month have more delays. I still didn't mind the Govna's return. I remember waiting all those months during the 'Calm Before' Arc, hoping that he was still alive.

But in the same vein, I do admit that reading six months worth of the entirety of 'Made to Suffer' Arc, and was a little downed, too many people died in issue 48.

Question though; Did you actually like the Fear The Hunters Arc? I felt it was a little lackluster.

PS: Like I said, I have been a monthly reader from the beginning, and I still liked the Govna.

EDIT: Oops, I realize you weren't directing that to me. My bad, and I do admit that the "KILL THEM ALL" shot was corny.

CooperWasRight
20-Aug-2010, 11:26 PM
I have been reading since the beginning, I am not a newcomer, and I see your point. Don't get me wrong, I remember the shit storm that went over at the image forums. And I do remember analyzing every cover in the '40's', anticipating something epic to go down.(I remember when some people on Kirkman's Image forum thought that Michonne was pointing the gun at Lori and Judith.).

I also do remember waiting too damned long for a monthly comic book, and being told by Kirkman that he would make it up to us, then next month have more delays. I still didn't mind the Govna's return. I remember waiting all those months during the 'Calm Before' Arc, hoping that he was still alive.

But in the same vein, I do admit that reading six months worth of the entirety of 'Made to Suffer' Arc, and was a little downed, too many people died in issue 48.

Question though; Did you actually like the Fear The Hunters Arc? I felt it was a little lackluster.

PS: Like I said, I have been a monthly reader from the beginning, and I still liked the Govna.

EDIT: Oops, I realize you weren't directing that to me. My bad, and I do admit that the "KILL THEM ALL" shot was corny.

There has been a number of corny lines from time to time but for the most part Kirkman is pretty much a genius... Yeah I was mentioning the hunters arc in my last post.... I liked it but it was a little lame how the tagling was no one is safe... Which was pretty much the end of the prison/guv arch which was "who will live,who will die..no one is safe" ... I did kind of dig the end of the hunters arch... With the whole ine being blurred on what you do to survive and the ambiguity of right and wrong..

I think that's when Kirkman is at his best... There really hasn't been a whole lot of black and white good guy,bad guy cartoon crap sept for the guv... The I actually think there was some parallel at the end of the hunters arc almost a little sympathy for the devil(guv)... Showing leaders do fucked up shit to keep there tribe going... The bigger the tribe the more fucked things get?

To me I was probably most bummed by Tyresse having to go...

Mr.G
21-Aug-2010, 02:26 AM
As much as I love TWD, I enjoy Invincible even more. The first arc with Nolan was mind blowing!

Danny
21-Aug-2010, 02:56 AM
As much as I love TWD, I enjoy Invincible even more. The first arc with Nolan was mind blowing!

yeah, i have em both on my pull list but invincible is the better book, mostly because its universe is not so defined so the unexpected happens more often whereas its almost always an exclusive final page of the issue splash and nothing else for the walking dead.

BotOZombie
27-Aug-2010, 05:33 PM
My copy of Volumes Two and Five arrived today (Four is yet to arrive). I see what people say about the change of artist, it is very different but I am happy to say it hasn’t negatively changed my opinion of the story.

I haven’t got very far into volume two yet but for me it is keeping up the quality found in Volume one.

Volume two spoilers in tag.

The best part for me was the zombie that was immobile due to the cold. I don’t think I have ever seen that in a Zombie film.

I have just got to the arrival at the Wiltshire estate and can see that the writer is going to rush characters into having sex which makes the whole group dynamics a bit forced but the characters are so far very good.

One thing I would have liked in the books is an indication as to where each Issue (I.e 1-75) end so I only read one issue at a time because at the moment I am flying through them and missing bits and pieces. If I knew where each issue began and ended I would probably stick to reading one issue at each sitting!!!:D

BotOZombie
28-Aug-2010, 01:29 PM
Well I have today ready the rest of Volume Two and both Volume Three and Four. I am really blown away by the story and I cant wait to see the series it has so much potential and I just hope it appeals to the masses.

Cant wait to read the other volumes.

BotOZombie
28-Aug-2010, 05:53 PM
Sorry for the three posts in a row. Ive just noticed that my Volume 2 Miles Behind Us paper back book is thinner then the other three volumes, has anybody else noticed this? I dont think pages are missing or anythin, although I dont think the story is a fluid in style as the others. It seems the pages are thinner quality than the other volumes just seems a bit strange and put spine to spine its about 2mm thinner.

Dr Tongue
02-Sep-2010, 01:53 AM
OH SHIII-

http://www.imagecomics.com/gallery2/g2data_373ph4nt/albums/news/TheWalkingDead_teaser2.jpg

clanglee
02-Sep-2010, 02:00 AM
Very very cool. Something bad is gonna happen. . . .something really bad. By the by. .. while Rick may be loosing it. . .he has lost it before and come back. I don't see him leaving the group any time soon.

BotOZombie
06-Sep-2010, 05:01 PM
Well rather than buying a volume or two at a time Ive decided to just buy the rest in one go. Volumes 5-12 of the paper backs are on order and should be with me this week!!

Mr.G
06-Sep-2010, 05:45 PM
Very very cool. Something bad is gonna happen. . . .something really bad. By the by. .. while Rick may be loosing it. . .he has lost it before and come back. I don't see him leaving the group any time soon.

True...but he's talking with his dead wife on a rotary phone. No coming back from that.

CooperWasRight
07-Sep-2010, 01:12 AM
Well rather than buying a volume or two at a time Ive decided to just buy the rest in one go. Volumes 5-12 of the paper backs are on order and should be with me this week!!

If it is not too late you might just wanna consider picking up the compendium... It is the 1st 8 volumes and you can get it for under 40bucks... Then just pick up the 9-12.

clanglee
07-Sep-2010, 09:57 AM
True...but he's talking with his dead wife on a rotary phone. No coming back from that.

Bah. . .he's been doing that for a while now. . . no real harm in it. Michonne talks to her dead boyfriend or whatever. However they can cope. . . .

BotOZombie
08-Sep-2010, 09:05 AM
If it is not too late you might just wanna consider picking up the compendium... It is the 1st 8 volumes and you can get it for under 40bucks... Then just pick up the 9-12.

I looked into that at the start but opted for the six story arc editions, I already have volumes one to four now.

Five and six arrived yesterday and I read through them straight away. They were brilliant and at times very, very intense. I cant wait for the TV program now it has som much potential for greatness!

Mr.G
08-Sep-2010, 12:38 PM
Bah. . .he's been doing that for a while now. . . no real harm in it.

There's no harm in having an adult imaginary friend? Rick is going nutso! But I like it! :evil:

BotOZombie
10-Sep-2010, 11:12 AM
Well, three weeks after popping my "The Walking Dead cherry" (and in truth comic book cherry) I have now read all of the twelve volumes currently on sale. All i will add is that I cant wait for volume thirteen!!!

sandrock74
19-Sep-2010, 09:05 PM
I've been re-reading the entire series the past few weeks to sort of "prep" for the show next month and I noticed something I didn't catch the first time I read through everything. Now, this may be only my imagination, but does anyone else think that Rick and Andrea could end up as a couple?

Ever since the "Fear the Hunters" storyline, Rick has been talking with her a lot more, and the first to console her when things went bad for her. She has also opened up to him about things, herself. After the gang gets to Alexandria, Andrea (and Morgan) have been staying in the same house as Rick and Carl. Speaking of Carl, he has already told his dad how he wants Andrea to stay in the house with them, as opposed to getting her own place now that the expansion of the town is being completed.

Now, again, maybe its just me, but can any of you see Rick and Andrea as a couple? Was Carls line about his wanting her to stay a possible hint of things to come? What do you think?

general tbag
11-Oct-2010, 03:15 PM
reAD the whole series via ecomics and man what a series.Some part were slow and dry.

clanglee
11-Oct-2010, 11:05 PM
I've been re-reading the entire series the past few weeks to sort of "prep" for the show next month and I noticed something I didn't catch the first time I read through everything. Now, this may be only my imagination, but does anyone else think that Rick and Andrea could end up as a couple?

Ever since the "Fear the Hunters" storyline, Rick has been talking with her a lot more, and the first to console her when things went bad for her. She has also opened up to him about things, herself. After the gang gets to Alexandria, Andrea (and Morgan) have been staying in the same house as Rick and Carl. Speaking of Carl, he has already told his dad how he wants Andrea to stay in the house with them, as opposed to getting her own place now that the expansion of the town is being completed.

Now, again, maybe its just me, but can any of you see Rick and Andrea as a couple? Was Carls line about his wanting her to stay a possible hint of things to come? What do you think?

It's possible. I think that Andrea could easily take over leadership of the group if Rick ever bites it. I never really try to guess what is going to happen next on that series. . . .I'm usually wrong.

Danny
14-Oct-2010, 02:28 AM
anyone else read 77 yet? honestly, kind of lame. the big cliffhanger is resolved in 2 pages and there rest is at least 5 cliche' plot points in quick succession. it looks like kirkmans setting up a finale to the arc blending fear the hunters with the god aweful prison vs the governor arc which was the lowest point in the entire run and the only point where i dropped the series and had to buy back issues to catch up.

sandrock74
18-Oct-2010, 01:00 AM
I thought issue 77 was a fun read. Two characters get whacked (which, I personally didn't see coming) and we learn that the "town" is about to have some company soon!

Bring on "No Way Out"!

Dr Tongue
22-Oct-2010, 11:36 PM
Issue 78 was pretty cool. Pretty lackluster. I think Kirkman took the criticism about the Governor a little too serous, as the last few groups of bad dudes have Died too easily.

sandrock74
21-Nov-2010, 01:31 AM
I finally got to the comic book store and emptied out my bin, so I got to read issue 78. Holy cow, the "big fight" with the nameless gang was sure anti-climactic! I guess the prison arc spoiled me for intense action and long(er) battles. I hope Kirkman isn't taking some fans critisisms of the Governor too serious. This is a comic book series after all!

kidgloves
25-Nov-2010, 07:45 PM
I finally got to the comic book store and emptied out my bin, so I got to read issue 78. Holy cow, the "big fight" with the nameless gang was sure anti-climactic! I guess the prison arc spoiled me for intense action and long(er) battles. I hope Kirkman isn't taking some fans critisisms of the Governor too serious. This is a comic book series after all!

After reading #79 I think it's safe to say the shits about to hit the fan again in #80

general tbag
26-Nov-2010, 05:08 PM
After reading #79 I think it's safe to say the shits about to hit the fan again in #80

word to your mother !

Interesting thing kirkman stated he has up to issue 150 already planned and rick might not make it.

kidgloves
27-Nov-2010, 05:02 PM
word to your mother !

Interesting thing kirkman stated he has up to issue 150 already planned and rick might not make it.

Maybe he'll kill off Rick and Carl will take over as the main character

sandrock74
27-Nov-2010, 10:55 PM
I just read issue 79 today and it looks like we will finally get to see a legit horde of zombies in the "No Way Out" storyline! It appears that Andrea may be the only (reasonably) safe character, being up in the bell tower, as opposed to being trapped in the city.

What if she were to end up the lone survivor at the conclusion of No Way Out??

White_Zombie
12-Jan-2011, 12:33 AM
Any one check out issue 80 yet? i want to see how Amy is going to get out of the tower. Also what comes out of the love triangle with Abraham.

JonOfTheShred
12-Jan-2011, 07:49 AM
Looks like its about to go down.

And I've been waiting for Rick to get down on it with that chick for a while, even before her husbands death. I feel like Carl and the other kid are gonna have a feud ending with one of them shot, or dead.

White_Zombie
18-Feb-2011, 08:51 PM
Looks like Morgan became lunch! I don't care either way, in my own opinion i never really dug his character.
Also "THE ZOMBIES ARE IN THE WIRE!, I REPEAT THE ZOMBIES ARE IN THE WIRE!" lets see how they manage that one in issue #82.

sandrock74
26-Feb-2011, 06:56 PM
Alas, Morgan, we hardly knew ye.

Well, I guess we did, but I wanted to sound all fancy and educated. Something tells me that by the time this storyline is done, there will be some MAJOR deaths!

White_Zombie
15-Mar-2011, 05:50 AM
MORGANS STILL ALIVE!!! Damn, didn't see that one coming... Thought he was done for.

Dr Tongue
02-Apr-2011, 04:58 AM
Oh god, Carl. Issue 83 was damn brutal. Rick pulled some pretty crazy shit, Morgan is fucked, and Carl is pretty much, yea.

sandrock74
09-Apr-2011, 12:12 AM
I read issues 82 and 83 today and WHOA!

First thing: Is Morgan really dead? That was all a strange set up to me. We didn't see him die, or even see a body, so....I dunno.

Second thing: I know some people are questioning if Carl will really die or not, but, seriously?? With that kind of head wound?? There's no freakin' way he just up and recovers from that! I always said that if Carl died, Rick would eat a bullet, as his son was the only thing keeping Rick going.

Third thing: I am getting the feeling that Andrea is going to be the final member of the "original gang" to die. Hopefully not anytime soon, but especially after these past few issues, my feeling is getting stronger.

I can't wait to see how No Way Out wraps itself up next issue!

jilljohnson
26-Oct-2011, 03:10 PM
Hey guys!! AMC has a new show and we are looking for real people to be on it. It will be airing after the walking dead. All about buying and selling comic and movie memorabilia. We are specifically looking for people in the Tri-state area (NY,NJ,CT) who have anything that has to do with George Romero, be it movie memorabilia, replicas, props, etc. We want people who are selling items. Submit yourself today on our website. www.secretstashcasting.com Thanks!!!

sandrock74
28-Oct-2011, 05:20 PM
re: Walking Dead #90 -
Rick and Andrea! I called it!

corpsefan
09-Nov-2011, 08:41 AM
I WOULD MOST DEFFINATELY recommend the procurement of this peice of literary work. ive been somewhat of a zombie comic collector for quite some time. though i didnt get into TWD right off the back, a year and a half ago i did. i was upset that i didnt get into it sooner. however you will need to note that the serie IS MOST DEFFINATELY MADE FOR TV. it does NOT stick directly with the comic. you will notice the differences. good luck. keep us posted

bassman
09-Nov-2011, 12:20 PM
I've looked around, but can't seem to find a solid answer. Anyone have any idea when the next issue(91)/volume will be released?

EDIT: Nevermind. Found it shortly after my post. November 23rd.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110823164612/walkingdead/images/thumb/5/5e/-91_cover.jpg/225px--91_cover.jpg

childofgilead
09-Nov-2011, 06:33 PM
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110823164612/walkingdead/images/thumb/5/5e/-91_cover.jpg/225px--91_cover.jpg[/QUOTE]

Oh..pooooooop..

Danny
15-Dec-2011, 05:12 AM
Just read the latest issue.
for a second i thought kirkman was actually adding jesus christ into the story.

-and it probably wouldve been riveting :lol:

still. i dearly hope its not 'but these new people have a dark secret rick will discover' but its kirkman. of course thats going to happen. Its like he distilled the whole 'demonising of society' subtext of zombie films and has taken it as the only course of option in every scenario.

sandrock74
16-Dec-2011, 06:17 AM
I think issue 92 was great! There are three more groups of survivors reasonably nearby? I knew where there was one, there had to be more! I don't know if it will be a "dark secrets" kind of thing; not all groups will be Woodbury. There could be plenty of stories to tell of traveling between groups for trading and such, new people coming and going, heck even the dangers of zombies popping up on the road while traveling!

Here I thought I knew where issue 100 was headed, but now, I'm not so sure...

Danny
16-Dec-2011, 10:06 AM
I don't know if it will be a "dark secrets" kind of thing; not all groups will be Woodbury.

gotta remember whos writing it though. asking kirkman not to have a town turn out to be secret cannibals or something is like asking joss whedon not to kill the mousy character in the storys third act. its going to happen wether we want it or not.

Personally i would like to see them do something we only really saw in land of the dead, actually establishing trade and economy and general society again in this new world. something we actually saw very little of in land at all which was a shame.

bassman
11-Jul-2012, 04:04 PM
Anybody got to Issue 100 yet? It's a doozy, man. As you might expect for such an important milestone, certain staples of the comic have to change...

kidgloves
11-Jul-2012, 05:44 PM
Anybody got to Issue 100 yet? It's a doozy, man. As you might expect for such an important milestone, certain staples of the comic have to change...

Yep. Some people are going to be pissed. Really pissed. Goddamn Kirkman

sandrock74
11-Jul-2012, 08:27 PM
Man....that was disturbing to read thru! Wow...

Rottedfreak
12-Jul-2012, 01:42 PM
I can't believe the whining I have been reading about this issue on other sites! they kill a character who's been in the series since the beginning and yet people complain it wasn't a fricking human/zombie massacre!
Is that all people read it for? to see who dies next?

bassman
12-Jul-2012, 01:53 PM
I've seen the same thing. Personally, I found what happened in this issue to be MUCH more brutal than any walker attack. I was actually feeling uneasy, repulsed, and heartbroken as I went from frame to frame. Particularly at the beginning when the character was still alive but in bad condition. Horrible stuff.

The loss of a main character was expected for a big issue like 100, but I can't wait to see how the revenge turns out...

Rottedfreak
13-Jul-2012, 02:43 PM
The IGN review brought up 'the infamous issue 48' (which is a apt description IMO) perhaps this arc is leading to that again but I feel they need to take more time and put in more energy and effort to accomplish what issue 48 did. It only worked because of what went into the issues preceding it. Nicholas, Spencer, Heath, Doctor Cloyd, they're just there with no discernible quirks or characterisations like Hershel, Lori, Axel and Otis had. Andrew, Martinez, Dr Stevens, they too were characters I felt bad for when they met their demise and they lasted only ten issues.

JonOfTheShred
14-Jul-2012, 11:18 PM
Holy fuck 100 was intense. I might even go back and re-read the entire series back up to 100.

Not to mention Abrahams death only an issue or two back, which was so sudden and a real shocker. The only logical way to follow up a death of a strong newcomer character would be to snipe off a more developed and recognized character. Glenns face being beaten into a pulp is a contender for one of the most shocking moments in the series. And him screaming Maggie before the death blow was unsettling.

Only once since #48 have I winced from an issue like this. And that was the twin brothers murder / death scene, where one of the twins had ripped out all the innards of their brother and thought nothing of it.

clanglee
15-Jul-2012, 03:12 AM
It was hard to read. I was pretty beat up about it. Not as beast up as youknowwho. . .but still. . .

Vulture Lives
15-Jul-2012, 05:54 PM
Rick is really stupid. The rest of the group wouldn't be in the wrong if they blamed him for the death of (redacted). Heck, the group should resent him for the situation that they're now stuck in with Negan and The Saviors.

Rottedfreak
15-Jul-2012, 06:12 PM
How this arc SHOULD end.
Issue 101
Michonne jumps the three saviours in the van decapitating two and skewering the third one, she takes a bullet but impales the gunmans head before he can turn but she passes out and starts bleeding. Rick learns the Saviours are held up in the White house so parks the dead saviours outside and is met with gunfire though he manages to escape.
Issue 102
Negan is outside of Hilltop screaming to be let in, he has his men shoot the gates until they run dry, he vows punishment for their association with Alexandria and all of a sudden Rick and a small group drive in surrounding them, Rick decapitates Negan with Michonne's sword much like the governor did Tyreese and lets the others go though they ask for asylum with Rick. Paul thanks Rick and both are shocked that Negan is actually dead, but the Saviours still represent a threat. At the white house Dwight calls a meeting for a new leader but finds many wanting that position and a gunfight ensues...

I don't think Negan is a keeper, he's too much like the Hunters.

JonOfTheShred
16-Jul-2012, 06:16 AM
I think Negan is Jesus. Or maybe they're brothers or something.

http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/6/65157/2460977-negan1_large.jpg

http://www.mylatestdistraction.com/mylatestdistraction/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/The_Walking_Dead_comic_Paul.jpg

CooperWasRight
11-Dec-2012, 01:28 AM

Way to call it buddy... I have taken a 20 issue hiatus just letting my box fill up... It has been a strange experience reading the book not on a monthly basis and reading all in one go like most folks do.

A few things I have noticed different:
1. Im far less engrossed and a lot of the writing mistakes become less glaring and forgivable when reading all in one go..."that was stupid... I cant believe so and so would...WHOAH... Im not distracted by a new thing that just happened."
2. Being the first time I have read since season 2 and 3 aired the massive deaths in the last 20 issues seemed to be lessened on an emotional level... For this I'm not sure if its because of the hope that in the show continuity they may not suffer the same fate... Or that i'm just starting to simply put more stock in the show as I feel the characters are more flushed out and easier to identify. Im not gonna turn this into an Adlard bashing comment but im not the only one who has mentioned that his style can often make it difficult to identify characters from time to time and often during the lead up or right at key moments... This is never an issue on the show.

Any thoughts are feeling similar on the show or changing from monthly reading to tpb or huge chunks effecting your reads?