PDA

View Full Version : Bear McCreary Scoring Walking Dead

Legion2213
25-Aug-2010, 08:33 PM
Might not be news to you, but it is to me...

http://walkingdead.fxuk.com/post/962187941/composer-bear-mccreary-promises-kick-ass-music-for-tv

This guys work on nBSG was fantastic. Can't wait to hear his Walking Dead score!

bassman
25-Aug-2010, 08:38 PM
OOOOLLLLLLDDDDD NNNNEEEEEWWWWWWSSSS

:p Just kidding.

I don't know the guy, but I remember reading the reports from Comicon. Everyone was freaking out about the guy behind Battlestar Gallactica doing TWD's score...

They could score the show with songs like the ones in the trailer and I would be happy. That last song on the trailer? OOSOME!

Legion2213
25-Aug-2010, 08:45 PM
Very atmospheric stuff IMO, uses lots of drums (which is always good)

pbNp3hZaicw

Ymwf2ucOfQ0

I own every BSG season OST on CD...and series soundtracks are something I very rarely actually buy. :)

kidgloves
22-Oct-2010, 08:37 PM
Mad props to Bear McCreary for the pilot score btw. Some unusual stuff there. Good use of wind chimes when Rick is wandering gave it a bit of a otherworldly feel. Like he was still stunned from all the chaos.
Kept thinking of Lost over and over with a bit of 28 Days Later thrown in. Also at one point in Atlanta there's this crazy distortion which he cuts dead with no relation to what's happening onscreen. Love that stuff. Very effective.
I remember reading/hearing an interview when he said he would be doing shock music but not in a way that was obvious and cliche. I know exactly what he meant by that now.
Can't wait till he breaks out the drums.
Excellent understated score.

bassman
22-Oct-2010, 10:04 PM
I'll second that.

The score is perfect. It's obvious when it needs to be, but understated at points to where it adds to the drama without becoming obvious. And the emotional moments get an extra layer that just pulls at the heart strings even harder. Great stuff.

kidgloves
08-Nov-2010, 08:27 PM
Some interesting stuff on McCreary's blog

LINK (http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4964)

AcesandEights
08-Nov-2010, 08:35 PM
Some interesting stuff on McCreary's blog

LINK (http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4964)

Very cool article. I'll definitely turn my GF onto it, as she's the trained musician in the household.

Character Walks In X + Spooky Ambient Pads
÷ Y Attacks = Z Startles Audience

(Where “X” = dark hallway, alley or woods
“Y” = monster, slasher or friend mistaken for enemy
“Z” = big orchestra hit or synth stab)
:eek:

bassman
08-Nov-2010, 08:36 PM
Very cool that the theme is actually evolving as the show progresses. That will be something i'll keep an ear out for.

kidgloves
18-Nov-2010, 08:26 PM
Really good score for ep3. I don't know if anyone else here watches Friday Night Lights but this episode reminded me a lot of the mood in that series. Lots of guitars.

Legion2213
19-Nov-2010, 07:22 PM
Really good score for ep3. I don't know if anyone else here watches Friday Night Lights but this episode reminded me a lot of the mood in that series. Lots of guitars.

The outry to E3 reminded of BSG, Bear uses all sorts of of styles, from water chimes, Japanese water drums to electric guiter and synths. Great having him on board for this, the score will be quality throughout.

kidgloves
19-Nov-2010, 08:26 PM
The outry to E3 reminded of BSG, Bear uses all sorts of of styles, from water chimes, Japanese water drums to electric guiter and synths. Great having him on board for this, the score will be quality throughout.

Yeah. I got a bit of a 28 days/weeks later vibe from the outro but yes, BSG as well.