PDA

View Full Version : New Zombie Puppet - Your Vote Counts!

BillyRay
30-Aug-2010, 04:00 PM
Alright gang,

My crew is currently rebuilding and improving the NOTLD puppet show; and I'm looking for your input.

The first zombie "killed' by Ben in the show is being rebuilt. For the first two seasons it was a paper mache head that got smashed to pieces. We rebuilt the puppet last year, and the results have been >meh<. Although this version had a proper moving puppet mouth, the head didn't shmoosh nearly as well as the disposable heads.

So we're changing it up.

This year, when Ben smacks the first zombie upside the head with the tire iron, the majority of it's head will go flying off upstage. There's also some gore and fx to be built into the puppet. It's going to be simple and kewl.

We've got into the habit of making zombie puppets that look like character zeds from the original trilogy. We've created a Hare Krishna & a Dr Tongue (recently upgraded), and I just re-worked a puppet to look like the Burned-Face Airstrip Zombie from Dawn.

So what's this one gonna look like?

Our first idea is a George Romero zombie. Altho' he's already present in the show as a picture on the farmhouse wall; a zombie version could be fun, too. Grey ponytail & Big Freakin' Glasses.

The second idea is to make a zombie of our buddy Deej. He's been a good friend of our little puppet show, and it'd be swell to immortalize him (so to speak) in zombie puppet form. It would also be a learning exercise in building alternate body types. :shifty: The only trouble is that apart from our crew, and his own Deadlands fans, Brother's not immediately recognizable.

(Sorry, Deej)

Choice #3, and my personal fave, is to create Big Daddy from Land. He'll come out, over-emote a zombie howl, and get his block knocked off. I'm thinking this bit will kill at conventions.

Of course I may be overlooking another obvious choices.

What do you guys think?

bassman
30-Aug-2010, 04:09 PM
Big Daddy. Gotta be Big Daddy...

AcesandEights
30-Aug-2010, 04:57 PM
Big Daddy, definitely!

ProfessorChaos
30-Aug-2010, 05:22 PM
kill big daddy. i think that even dj himself would agree with this. then you guys gotta work a quip in about how dumb smart zombies are or that guy was really annoying, or something along those lines.

bassman
30-Aug-2010, 05:35 PM
then you guys gotta work a quip in about how dumb smart zombies are...

"What'd you say?"

http://www.best-horror-movies.com/images/Day-of-the-dead-Bub-small.jpg

LouCipherr
30-Aug-2010, 05:37 PM
As much as I'd love to see a Dj puppet get wasted, I'm gonna have to go with Big Daddy too. It's time to put him to rest. :elol:

DjfunkmasterG
30-Aug-2010, 07:13 PM
Being the VANITY sin filled individual I am... I voted for me :lol:

AcesandEights
30-Aug-2010, 08:15 PM
Being the VANITY sin filled individual I am... I voted for me :lol:

Sorry, Deej, but this is one campaign where you cannot count on my vote :p

DjfunkmasterG
31-Aug-2010, 01:33 AM

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( :lol:

Legion2213
01-Sep-2010, 03:44 PM
Choice #3, and my personal fave, is to create Big Daddy from Land. He'll come out, over-emote a zombie howl, and get his block knocked off. I'm thinking this bit will kill at conventions.

Thats brutal... :D

LouCipherr
01-Sep-2010, 04:30 PM

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:( :lol:

Sorry dude, we can't help it... we just want to see Big Daddy get what he deserves. :D

DjfunkmasterG
01-Sep-2010, 05:19 PM
Sorry dude, we can't help it... we just want to see Big Daddy get what he deserves. :D

While I do too... I still have to be sad... however, I am happy and honored to be thought of enough to be immortalized as a NOTLD:TPS Puppet :D

Mucho Thanks... But Big Daddy stil sucks. :lol:

BillyRay
01-Sep-2010, 05:31 PM
While I do too... I still have to be sad... however, I am happy and honored to be thought of enough to be immortalized as a NOTLD:TPS Puppet

Buddy, you just haven't been immortalized yet...

DjfunkmasterG
08-Sep-2010, 02:53 AM
I wanna vote for myself again... I am way more interesting and entertaining than Big Daddy.

"Big Daddy ain't Got Shit On Me!" :D

MinionZombie
08-Sep-2010, 09:31 AM
I voted for Biggy D ... I dig Land, and I don't especially mind BD, but I also find the spoofing of the character funny as hell too ... so yeah, Biggy D puppet zombie methinks. :)

BillyRay
13-Sep-2010, 04:45 PM
The True fans have spoken.

Big Daddy will be the first Zombie "Kill" in this year's show.

His head is in the workshop as we speak.

(yeah, yeah, the poll is still technically going - but we've got a lot to build before H'ween.)

bassman
13-Sep-2010, 04:50 PM
Make sure you post a picture for those of us that can't see the show. And have him howling in the picture. :p

AcesandEights
13-Sep-2010, 04:58 PM
Big Daddy will be the first Zombie "Kill" in this year's show.

His head is in the workshop as we speak.

Can you also use a similarly shaped duplicate for DJ? They have the same shaped head, after all :D

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/BigDaddy.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/GaryU.jpg

:p

DjfunkmasterG
13-Sep-2010, 05:21 PM
Can you also use a similarly shaped duplicate for DJ? They have the same shaped head, after all :D

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/BigDaddy.jpghttp://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/GaryU.jpg

:p

But I am better looking... not by much, but still :p

AcesandEights
13-Sep-2010, 05:22 PM
No middle finger smiley!? I was sure I'd earned one :D

BillyRay
01-Oct-2010, 04:50 PM
Hey,

We're almost done with the Big Daddy puppet head...

MinionZombie
01-Oct-2010, 05:29 PM
Hey,

:cool:

I look forward to seeing the full thing in all its glory when it's complete. :thumbsup:

LouCipherr
01-Oct-2010, 06:53 PM

To be fair, he sounds a lot like BD too. :D

(if that doesn't earn me a middle finger smiley, nothing will. :lol:)

Hey,

AWESOME! Kill that fucker the minute he walks on stage! :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
02-Oct-2010, 04:20 AM
To be fair, he sounds a lot like BD too. :D

(if that doesn't earn me a middle finger smiley, nothing will. :lol:)

it'll earn ya this... :lol: this :D this :p and this :fin:

LouCipherr
04-Oct-2010, 04:40 PM
it'll earn ya this... :lol: this :D this :p and this :fin:

Mission successful! :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
05-Oct-2010, 11:09 AM
Mission successful! :lol:

Don't you mean Accomplished? :lol:

BillyRay
05-Oct-2010, 02:17 PM
First rehearsal last night.

The Big Daddy puppet is gonna be HUGE, even without Haters in the audience.

bassman
05-Oct-2010, 02:24 PM
Huge how? Huge laughs? Or Hugely annoying like the character it's based on? :p

BillyRay
05-Oct-2010, 04:16 PM
Har-dee-har-har, Bass.

Here's a better pic, mit the redesigned gas pump:

>KliK for Biggy<

MinionZombie
05-Oct-2010, 04:37 PM
Har-dee-har-har, Bass.

Here's a better pic, mit the redesigned gas pump:

>KliK for Biggy<

Pretty cool that - dig the gas "prices" too. :cool:

I'm sure a bunch of HPOTD'ers would love to see the Big Daddy bit as a video on YouTube.

BillyRay
05-Oct-2010, 04:39 PM
maybeh a gif.

AFTER Oct 28th...

LouCipherr
06-Oct-2010, 03:59 PM
Don't you mean Accomplished? :lol:

Either one works for me. :D

BillyRay
25-Oct-2010, 09:26 PM
(can't be bothered to make a new thread for this)

It's been a weird and wonderful last-week-or-so in the shop.

Case in point - we spent part of yesterday creating fake entrails for one of the puppets that gets ripped apart, and a load of "blood comets" that we're going to throw at the audience during the truck explosion (Hey, we warned people it's in 3-D...)

Also we have a nifty LED molotov cocktail effect ready to go. Every large prop has been rebuilt (the radio is brilliant), a dozen new gags and bits added, we are equal to the beautiful old space we'll be in.

Had a TV interview on Saturday - one of those Morning headlines-weather-local color kaffeklatches. It was 2 minutes of pure chaos. Puppets everywhere, fake blood getting all over the interviewer lady. Made her crack up before the next round of headlines: "Hee hee hee...A tragic acident this morning..." although our target audience was still probably sleeping it off, free publicity is a very good thing. (Have an article in tomorrow's Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel. I'll send the link soon)

I'll be away from the intertubes for the rest of the week. i'll give you guys a review when I get back in. Again, If you happen to be newr Milwaukee Thursday night - come check out the show! It's gonna be our most gonzo outing yet...

bassman
25-Oct-2010, 09:40 PM
Man I wish I could see this. Sounds great, dude. Good luck with the show! :)

MinionZombie
26-Oct-2010, 09:45 AM
I'd love to see it myself, but being a Brit I can't ... regardless though, all the best for the show! :thumbsup:

ProfessorChaos
26-Oct-2010, 09:59 AM
the show this spring in st. louis was a great time, i'm really bummed you guys are so far north or i'd make a trip to check it out. all the new improvements sound great. it's awesome that you guys keep updating and re-vamping your show, it's something that every fan of NotLD ought to see at least once.

BillyRay
27-Oct-2010, 06:32 PM
We got some more press in the local daily:

http://www.jsonline.com/entertainment/105733543.html

And a couple of us were on TV Saturday AM plugging the show, although our target audience was probably still hung over:

http://www.todaystmj4.com/features/seenontmj4/105780908.html

(I'm behind one of the chairs)

MinionZombie
28-Oct-2010, 11:58 AM
Kick ass, you guys were really having some fun with that news anchor. :elol:

All the best for tonight's show guys! :thumbsup: