PDA

View Full Version : Let Me In... looks like more sh*t

blind2d
09-Sep-2010, 06:54 PM
So hey, I just saw a TV spot for the "Cloverfield" guy's American remake of "Let the Right One In", entitled "Let Me In". Looks like crap, to me. I mean, the original came out so recently, and it's really quite good. I don't think this new version will be able to improve on it in any way. I don't know how you guys here feel about it, but I would love to know! Positive and negative! Um, so it's another The Ring/The Grudge/REC type deal. I'm calling lame.

bassman
09-Sep-2010, 07:10 PM
I've never understood why the original is held so high by so many people, so i'm in no rush to see this one. I hear that the response from the Comic Con screening was fantastic, so we'll see.

I'll probably wait for DVD or TV. Not wasting any money on it after the original...

blind2d
10-Sep-2010, 01:25 AM
I really liked the original for the cat scene... that and just the children acting was so... and the scenery/atmosphere... desolate... if you really let it get to you, it can be quite unsettling. Rubix cubes are also cool. Little things, kind of like The Ring, in a way... I guess. Murdoc, you wanna say something?
Muds: Yeah, in fact I actually do! Now look here, I've seen my fair share of vampire films, and this is definitely the best one in recent memory. I mean, Twilight? Vampire Diarrhea? Interview? Bollocks! Sure, most vampire films are bad, but so are most zombie films, right 'D?
2D: *incoherent mumbling*
Muds: Right! So as I was saying,... what was I saying? Oh right! Let The Right One In is about as creepy as you can get when the main characters aren't even old enough to have gotten all their parts yet! And it wasn't made on a huge, Hollywood budget like this remake will undoubtedly be, giving it a more... I dunno, grassroots appeal... or whatever's trendy these days... je ne know what. And! Um, er... right! It'd be like, um, somebody remaking Land of the Dead... y'know, not the best movie in the world, but a right good and recent movie in its own right... and um, France would be making it, since it's an American/Canadian film... right, I've had a bit too much rum, I think... or perhaps not enough... Cyborg! More rum! Right, I'm off now. Gotta try on my new tux I was graciously given at the GQ awards... thing. Tah!

Danny
10-Sep-2010, 02:15 AM
I've never understood why the original is held so high by so many people, so i'm in no rush to see this one. I hear that the response from the Comic Con screening was fantastic, so we'll see.

I'll probably wait for DVD or TV. Not wasting any money on it after the original...

It's a good enough flick but this "NO FOREIGN LANGUAGE REMAKES EVAR" has come full circle from wanting to preserve a films cultural identity to some bastardized wannabe film snobbery. Like the fact that this is no longer in a foreign language it is automatically lowbrow and uncultured all of a sudden.

It looks okay, nothing special, but i am not being one of those absolute retards who will shit all over a remake because i want to look smart and bias toward origionals and nothing else. I'll wait till i see it to make my judgement.

MoonSylver
10-Sep-2010, 06:03 AM
Haven't seen the original. Want to though. Heard it was good from a number of people. The promo for the remake as got to be the most UNINTERESTING trailer I've ever seen. This coming from an industry that has gotten the art for cutting trailers that can even make a shit movie look epic (there should be a an Academy Award just for trailers IMO).

ProfessorChaos
10-Sep-2010, 08:09 AM
still haven't got around to watching the original, but i just ran across it and plan to sit back this weekend and check it out.

and blind, you do realize that if you enlist in the military only one of you can go to basic training, right? j/k...send me a pm sometime with any questions you might have that i may be able to answer.

Ghost Of War
10-Sep-2010, 09:00 AM
I love the original, the novel is superb, and I'll be watching the new version when I can. I'll make my mind up about it then. Hopefully it will be something different from the original version, and it'll turn people onto that.

blind2d
10-Sep-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Prof!
Yeah, I'll watch the new version too, but... it's not that I'm upset about America remaking other countries' films (although I am), I'm more just upset that people making films nowadays care very little (in general) about actually being creative. Don't kid yourselves, remakes are not creative. And that the film is so recent. I mean, if they made a remake of, say, Labyrinth, or something now, that would kind of make sense because we have lots of new cinematic effects techniques that could improve/destroy it. But this? It was fine for the smaller budget it had, what could more money possibly improve? I just don't get it... same with those other movies listed. Also, I'm a little tired of direct sequels... unless it's following a truly epic (look at me, everybody! I'm trendy!) storyline, like Star Wars. Anyway... yeah, Americans should stick to dubbing, and leave it at that. Or subbing. Whatever.

soulsyfn
10-Sep-2010, 03:25 PM
I saw the original and it was good... not great but good... it was a tad slow. But the acting by the children was superb!

I will see this one as it looks interesting. And it looks like they are keeping a lot of what made the original as good as it did. Yes they did add in more action and less subtext and really give away the fact that she is a vampire... the original, you really had no idea what her issue was till closer to the end - which is what made it so good. I guess the average joe and sally public need everything slapped in their face.

blind2d
10-Sep-2010, 07:12 PM
I saw the original and it was good... not great but good... it was a tad slow. But the acting by the children was superb!

I will see this one as it looks interesting. And it looks like they are keeping a lot of what made the original as good as it did. Yes they did add in more action and less subtext and really give away the fact that she is a vampire... the original, you really had no idea what her issue was till closer to the end - which is what made it so good. I guess the average joe and sally public need everything slapped in their face.
Yep, it's the American way! :)

Purge
12-Sep-2010, 12:39 PM
The original was excellent, IMO, mostly because of the coming-of-age storyline and the way it sympathized with the Lina Leandersson character. Judging from the trailer, it looks like they're flotsaming all that in favor of a plot where the girl slowly takes over the boy and ruins him.

blind2d
13-Sep-2010, 01:29 AM
Full agreement with you there, purge.
Incidentally, my step-mother just called it a rip-off.
Then my father said that it was just like The Ring.
She called that a rip-off too.
Sometimes it's not so bad living with your parents. :D

bassman
13-Sep-2010, 12:10 PM
I realize it's still early in the game, but the few reviews at rottentomatoes are giving it a fresh rating and Joblo.com gave it an 8/10. These added on top of the fact that the comic con screening went great....I think this might be the rare exception of a good remake.

That is if people can get over the whole "original was perfect" whining and give it a chance.

soulsyfn
13-Sep-2010, 02:25 PM
That is if people can get over the whole "original was perfect" whining and give it a chance.

People would rather bitch... I will give it a shot for sure.

soulsyfn
13-Sep-2010, 02:26 PM
The original was excellent, IMO, mostly because of the coming-of-age storyline and the way it sympathized with the Lina Leandersson character. Judging from the trailer, it looks like they're flotsaming all that in favor of a plot where the girl slowly takes over the boy and ruins him.

That was part of the subtext in the original as well... she does ruin him...

AcesandEights
13-Sep-2010, 02:32 PM
It's a good enough flick but this "NO FOREIGN LANGUAGE REMAKES EVAR" has come full circle from wanting to preserve a films cultural identity to some bastardized wannabe film snobbery. Like the fact that this is no longer in a foreign language it is automatically lowbrow and uncultured all of a sudden.

Well said.

There's multiple reasons for doing remakes of foreign films, to be honest. The pretext is always a more palatable film and higher profits, but that doesn't make the specific reasons for the changes invalid. I'd like to find my previous post on the subject, but am disarmed by the borked search engine.

Yep, it's the American way! :)

Other countries like to remake films in their language for the tastes of their viewers, too. India, for example, springs immediately to mind.

blind2d
13-Sep-2010, 03:46 PM
True enough... and granted I was a bit facetious there, but... I don't know, what's said is said. I mean, if getting people to watch an excellent film dubbed into their own language is too much... I don't know... will it help the economy?

AcesandEights
13-Sep-2010, 03:54 PM
True enough... and granted I was a bit facetious there, but... I don't know, what's said is said. I mean, if getting people to watch an excellent film dubbed into their own language is too much... I don't know... will it help the economy?

Dunno, turth be told. More product is more product, I guess as long as people are turning a product. In any event, I plan on watching both and have had the original queued in Netflix for a while now.

MikePizzoff
14-Sep-2010, 03:45 AM
Let Me In? More like "LET ME OUT OF THE THEATRE!"

blind2d
14-Sep-2010, 11:19 AM
Ha ha! That amuses me, Mike! :D

bassman
14-Sep-2010, 11:57 AM
Let Me In? More like "LET ME OUT OF THE THEATRE!"

That's how I felt about the first one. :o

So I'm holding out hope for this one. Reviews are looking good so far, but they say it's pretty damn similar to the original. Still may not be my cup o tea after all..

paulannett
14-Sep-2010, 12:23 PM
The book was great, the original film was good and this new film looks good too, I'll certainly give it a go before I write it off.

Purge
14-Sep-2010, 03:18 PM
That was part of the subtext in the original as well... she does ruin him...

Not really. He had an unhappy homelife and she gave him companionship and sympathy.

soulsyfn
14-Sep-2010, 04:22 PM
Not really. He had an unhappy homelife and she gave him companionship and sympathy.

Oh please, the ending shows how she ruins him. She gives him some companionsip and sympathy for a price. And that is a mighty high price.

Purge
14-Sep-2010, 11:15 PM
Oh please, the ending shows how she ruins him. She gives him some companionsip and sympathy for a price. And that is a mighty high price.

The ending shows him running away with her on train with them playfully "talking" to each other through her coffin.

blind2d
15-Sep-2010, 12:12 AM
Exactly! He's not ruined, because he now has a life-long friend! He'll only be ruined when he gets old... and that's not so different from normal people, anyway.

soulsyfn
15-Sep-2010, 02:30 PM
So a kid, being whisked away from his life to serve as the minion of a vampire isnt ruining him... he will grow old while she stays young, he will never be able to love anyone (ever) besides her, he will have to become a murderer (just like her last minion - who is to say she didnt do the exact samething to him) to supply her with the food she needs to survive... you guys a freaking nuts!

Sure he gets to play and have a companion during the night time... when she is awake... but he will need to stay awake during the day to protect her. That will get old very quick! I would rather live a shitty life where I can love and dictate what I want to do rather than being someones minion.

We can just agree to disagree.

ProfessorChaos
18-Sep-2010, 12:58 AM
finally got around to watching the original. didn't really know what to expect, i was pleasantly surprised by how good (and gory) this film was. best vampire movie i've seen in years. that's not saying much, cuz i really got sick and tired of vampire shit after the queen of the damned movie came out...and this twilight/true blood craze is about ridiculous.

i will probably go to see this american version when it comes out. that kid from the road is a pretty solid actor for his age. as for that girl, i really have only seen in the kick-ass previews, and from what i saw, her character annoyed the shit out of me....and she was also in 500 days of summer but was also pretty irritating in that. wish they'd found someone else to play the vampire kid.

blind2d
19-Sep-2010, 09:57 PM
Have you ever seen "30 Days of Night", Jared? I just finished watching it on tv, and I gotta say it was pretty good.
I'll rent this film, as long as the hype's over, and it's less expensive. Still, I don't know why they feel the need to make it... money, I'm guessing.

ProfessorChaos
19-Sep-2010, 10:04 PM
no, i've not seen 30 days of night yet, heard some pretty bad things about it....mainly the ending. with the winter and cold weather coming on, i'll probably get around to it one of these days, thanks for the recommendation.

and i imagine that money is a key factor in the making of "let me in". it is a decent story and one that'll probably do well in theaters. another reason is the fact that most americans are too lazy to read subtitles and would rather have their entertainment spoon-fed to them.

MoonSylver
19-Sep-2010, 11:22 PM
no, i've not seen 30 days of night yet, heard some pretty bad things about it....mainly the ending. with the winter and cold weather coming on, i'll probably get around to it one of these days, thanks for the recommendation.

S'ok. At least it isn't a bunch of poncy euro-trash vampires poofter-ing about.:rolleyes::whatever::lol:

blind2d
20-Sep-2010, 12:58 AM
yeah, apparently my uncle knew the guy who created the comics and then the movie... I don't know, but that seems pretty cool. It's kind of like Stephen King's Storm of the Century, but with vampires... so it's way better. And shorter. Anyway... yeah, it's good fun.