PDA

View Full Version : Children of the Corn (2009 remake)

ProfessorChaos
21-Sep-2010, 05:59 PM
was at a gathering recently and some people were sitting upstairs getting blazed watching one of the countless children of the corn sequels. got me kinda jonesin' to watch the original, which i did over the weekend....and wow, this film sure didn't age well. some parts are still pretty good, but there's a lot of cringe-worthy fx, bad acting, etc

anywho, i figured it was gonna end up getting a reboot or remake sometime soon...turns out, the scifi channel already did a remake of it last year. didn't hear/see anything about it, so i decided to acquire a copy to watch.

haven't got very far, the couple is just now reaching the town of gatlin, but so far, i'm pretty impressed, especially for a sci-fi channel production. it's set back in the 70's, and instead of a doctor and his girlfriend it's now a young vietnam veteran and his wife. the girl playing the wife overacts a bit, she's still pretty convincing at times. so far, so good, about to finish watching it this afternoon. anybody else seen this? if so what are your thoughts?

been a long time since i read the story, but i kinda get the impression that this will be a more faithful adaptation. oh, and for south park fans who also are fans of the original children of the corn, check out the episode titled "the wacky molestation adventure", which is a great episode of SP and a terrific spoof of the film.

JDFP
21-Sep-2010, 06:18 PM
The primary character chick in the re-make of "COTC" is probably the most absolutely annoying female character possibly of all time.

I've seen it, didn't think it held a torch to the original -- the original wasn't exactly a great horror flick but it had its moments. That kid Isaac scared the crap out of me.

j.p.

ProfessorChaos
21-Sep-2010, 08:48 PM
dude, not to sound insulting, but how long has it been since you last saw the original? have you ever read the short story? that original had some redeeming qualities, sure, but overall, it is another example of king's work being fucking brutalized for the sake of making a formula-style film.

i just re-watched the original after finishing the remake and i guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on this one, bro. the original has that cheesy-scene with the crucifixion of isaac, most of the children can't act for shit, there's lots of plot holes (like the fact that 3 years pass from the beginning of the film to when the couple arrive and the kids all look like they've not aged...must be something in the corn, huh? the lack of a story about new members being added to the cult, etc), and the ending is a fucking slap in the face to the audience and mr. king. "send her a postcard from seattle."...and then the way THE END just pops up. that ending felt so forced and corny ;) that i had to literally groan and shake my head.

the remake, while far from perfect, is way better....kinda surprised that i'm saying that, given that it was a sci-fi channel production, but it just works better for me. i like the main character better (the vietnam flashbacks in the corn field was a nice touch), dude kills like five or six of those creepy kids, the part about "the time for fertilization" (while the rest of the kids watched:eek:) was included to explain how the cult kept going, and the ending was much more true to king's original story. sure, there's some weak bits, such as the annoying bitchy wife character, the kid playing isaac is just about as bad, and that one kid (malachai's son?) talking like elmer fudd ("it's fwee o cwock by the sun, mawakai.").

but the pros of the newer film far outweigh the cons, and it's opposite case with the original, in my opinion. while we're both about the same age, i think your "child of the 80's" nostalgia factor is fucking with your perceptions on this one, jp.

i think the remake is worth watching for those who've read the short story and seen the original, i'd really like to hear some other opinions on these two versions of the story.

LouCipherr
22-Sep-2010, 12:10 PM
The primary character chick in the re-make of "COTC" is probably the most absolutely annoying female character possibly of all time.

So much so that after watching the first 20 minutes of this (and watching almost 20 minutes of that chick not shutting her mouth and constantly bitching) I had to turn it off. I just couldn't sit through it. She was annoying as hell.

JDFP
22-Sep-2010, 01:52 PM
but the pros of the newer film far outweigh the cons, and it's opposite case with the original, in my opinion. while we're both about the same age, i think your "child of the 80's" nostalgia factor is fucking with your perceptions on this one, jp.

But... but...

Oh yeah, well I wish you into the corn field! So take that!

http://www.zap2it.com/media/photo/2009-03/45699131.jpg

j.p.

ProfessorChaos
22-Sep-2010, 05:15 PM
So much so that after watching the first 20 minutes of this (and watching almost 20 minutes of that chick not shutting her mouth and constantly bitching) I had to turn it off. I just couldn't sit through it. She was annoying as hell.

well lou, this doesn't have the campy happy ending of the 80's flick. the girl is attacked by children has her throat cut, eyes pulled out, and her corpse is hung out in the corn field.

oh, and there's boobs, broken necks, forearms getting snapped, vietnam flashbacks....it gets better, trust me.

LouCipherr
22-Sep-2010, 07:50 PM
well lou, this doesn't have the campy happy ending of the 80's flick. the girl is attacked by children has her throat cut, eyes pulled out, and her corpse is hung out in the corn field.

oh, and there's boobs, broken necks, forearms getting snapped, vietnam flashbacks....it gets better, trust me.

That is a good thing, however, I just cannot get past how annoying that bitch is. I'm sure the movie has to get better as it goes on, but after watching the first few minutes of it, all I could think was I wanted to reach through my TV and hit her in the mouth. Really kinda took me out of the movie.

Its nice to know they slaughter her ass though - perhaps I will have to re-watch, just mute the volume for the first few minutes of the film. :lol: Yes, I found her that annoying - and I really wanted to watch it too!