PDA

View Full Version : HorrorHound magazine

MikePizzoff
28-Sep-2010, 12:36 PM
I recently skimmed through an issue of this zine and it seemed pretty fuckin awesome on the surface. Before I spend a bunch of money on a subscription, I was wondering if anyone here reads it and if the quality is consistently good? Also, would a years subscription net me 6 issues or 12 issues?

DubiousComforts
28-Sep-2010, 02:21 PM
Browse their forums (http://www.horrorhound.com/forums/forums.aspx) and all of your questions will probably be answered.

axlish
28-Sep-2010, 05:15 PM
They are bi-monthly, 6 issues a year. I highly reccomend subscribing to Horrorhound magazine, but I will offer this warning: you'll want to collect all of the back-issues, and some of them are getting mighty pricey. Guard your wallet!

I've been subscribing for 2 years now and I think that the magazine is not only better than Fangoria, I think that it is better than Fangoria ever was.

DubiousComforts
28-Sep-2010, 05:59 PM
I think that it is better than Fangoria ever was.

Hey, let's not get carried away. Were you reading regularly during the Bob Martin years? Without Fangoria, there would be no Horror Hound.

MikePizzoff
28-Sep-2010, 06:05 PM
They are bi-monthly, 6 issues a year. I highly reccomend subscribing to Horrorhound magazine, but I will offer this warning: you'll want to collect all of the back-issues, and some of them are getting mighty pricey. Guard your wallet!

I've been subscribing for 2 years now and I think that the magazine is not only better than Fangoria, I think that it is better than Fangoria ever was.

Thanks for the info/warning. I'd say from what I saw it was definitely leap years better than Fangoria is now. However, it seemed about on par with some of the real old Fangoria issues I've seen.

DubiousComforts
29-Sep-2010, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the info/warning. I'd say from what I saw it was definitely leap years better than Fangoria is now. However, it seemed about on par with some of the real old Fangoria issues I've seen.
People forget how important the original Fangoria was on an editorial level. Horror films were edgy and rebellious, and faced a lot of opposition at that time. Magazines like Fangoria stood against the charges that these films were corrupting the moral fabric of society.

Now horror films are mainstream, junk entertainment lacking any edge or statement. The only thing they could possibly be accused of corrupting is $10 from your wallet for a ticket. No horror magazine can pretend to operate under the same conditions today as Fangoria did 25-30 years ago. They are all pretty much pedestrian as far as their editorial position is concerned.

axlish
29-Sep-2010, 10:40 PM
I have a majority of the first 100 issues of Fangoria, so I am familiar with the content, then and now. Editorially speaking, Fangoria probably still runs circles around the writing in Horrorhound. What tweaks the scales in the favor of Horrorhound (for me) is the visual quality of the publication, and the concentration on fanhood. Yes, Horrorhound does not stand for what Fangoria did in the 1980's. Not only does it not stand for it, it doesn't even address the (non)issue. However, this isn't anything I am looking for in a horror rag. I also really dig the VHS article series. Pure brilliance.

Mr.G
03-Oct-2010, 12:40 AM
I subcribed to Fango for years but recently switched to Horror Hound. IMO, it currently runs circles around all the competition. The only bad aspect is 6 issues a year...but each issue is jam packed with reading material.

Ghostdude
07-Oct-2010, 11:34 AM
I have nothing but GREAT things to say about HORRORHOUND