PDA

View Full Version : UK getting a "Director's Cut" version on FXUK?

MinionZombie
10-Oct-2010, 09:36 AM
I know Neil attempted a little joke saying that the American release would be cut compared to the UK release, however the other night as I was making dinner I had FXUK on in the background and overheard an advert for The Walking Dead - so I rewound it just to enjoy it, but blow me over when they actually said "The Walking Dead: Director's Cut coming soon to FX" ... so it makes me wonder, how and what will make this a different cut to that showing in America?

Or is it just them saying "Director's Cut" to make it sound funkier? That'd be kind of pointless really if it was no different from the AMC version.

So - anyone heard anything about this supposed "Director's Cut" for FXUK?

kidgloves
10-Oct-2010, 10:19 AM
Could just be a marketing angle where the suits are aware how easy it is for potential viewers to acquire US shows before they air in the UK. If we get a different version than the US the hardcore will be more likely to watch both. I'll be watching it Nov 1st and the 5th to support it anyway.

MinionZombie
10-Oct-2010, 06:45 PM
I don't know. That'd be a pretty weird thing to do. To lie about having a different version just to get people to watch it on the actual channel rather than download it ... but well, whatever it will be, just in case it is a different (better) cut than what shows on AMC, I will check it out on FXUK. Besides, I really want to show my support for this show. Although I'd be showing that anyway when the box set comes out. :)

bassman
10-Oct-2010, 07:02 PM
Although I'd be showing that anyway when the box set comes out. :)

Word. I'm excited to catch the show on TV, but regardless of whether or not it's cut between the US/UK versions, we'll be getting the entire series in all it's glory within a year. Fingers crossed for loads of special features and entertaining commentary....

MoonSylver
10-Oct-2010, 07:05 PM
Word. I'm excited to catch the show on TV, but regardless of whether or not it's cut between the US/UK versions, we'll be getting the entire series in all it's glory within a year. Fingers crossed for loads of special features and entertaining commentary....

How sick is it the show isn't out yet & I'm already yearning for the DVD? :lol:

bassman
10-Oct-2010, 07:10 PM
How sick is it the show isn't out yet & I'm already yearning for the DVD? :lol:

You and me both. I've already got the DVR set to record the whole series, so i'll probably have seen every episode multiple times before the dvd/br comes out. Then I'll watch them multiple times again. :lol:

That is...IF it's good. Although I seriously doubt it will be downright bad....

Neil
10-Oct-2010, 09:25 PM
I know Neil attempted a little joke saying that the American release would be cut compared to the UK release, however the other night as I was making dinner I had FXUK on in the background and overheard an advert for The Walking Dead - so I rewound it just to enjoy it, but blow me over when they actually said "The Walking Dead: Director's Cut coming soon to FX" ... so it makes me wonder, how and what will make this a different cut to that showing in America?

Or is it just them saying "Director's Cut" to make it sound funkier? That'd be kind of pointless really if it was no different from the AMC version.

So - anyone heard anything about this supposed "Director's Cut" for FXUK?

You're pulling my chain!!?

hadrian0117
10-Oct-2010, 09:30 PM
It sounds like FXUK is just getting a version free of any cuts AMC's censor demanded.

Neil
10-Oct-2010, 09:35 PM
It sounds like FXUK is just getting a version free of any cuts AMC's censor demanded.

That would my day! To have my little joke actually come true would be hysterical :)

EDIT: http://www.blogomatic3000.com/2010/10/10/tv-review-the-walking-dead-episode-1-pilot-directors-cut/

Like everything else about this extended “Directors Cut” pilot episode of The Walking Dead...

^
EXTENDED

kidgloves
10-Oct-2010, 11:13 PM
Oh my.
If what they describe as the first scene really happens, that will really be making a statement.

.................Must ..........stop..........reading...........about... ......this..............show.................

This truly is event television

Neil
11-Oct-2010, 09:27 AM
that would my day! To have my little joke actually come true would be hysterical :)

edit: http://www.blogomatic3000.com/2010/10/10/tv-review-the-walking-dead-episode-1-pilot-directors-cut/

^
extended

extended!!! :)

hahahahahaaa!!! We win (for once)!

clanglee
11-Oct-2010, 09:42 AM
extended!!! :)

hahahahahaaa!!! We win (for once)!

Yep, you get at least 3 minutes of extra commercials!! :P

Neil
11-Oct-2010, 09:45 AM
Yep, you get at least 3 minutes of extra commercials!! :P

Hey! That's US territory :) I'm fairly sure you guys get more commercials break than we do...

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2010, 09:47 AM
So us Brits are getting an extended version and the Americans aren't?!

Now that's a turn up for the books. I wonder if the extended content features more gore, or if it's down to advertising and programming scheduling etc ... kind of like how on HBO they have their shows just anything from 45 to even 70 minutes (such as Dexter, which is often 50 or even 55 minutes long), which of course doesn't fit into an hour with adverts. I don't know anything about AMC, but if they have more strict scheduling for their programmes and how many adverts can fit in then maybe that's why. I don't think FXUK are like that at all - being that they show Dexter for us Brits ... so maybe that's the reasoning.

Whatever the content of the extended stuff, I'm stoked. :) Just think, for a change it'll be Americans downloading British-aired content ... the hardcore ones anyway. It'll be on disc eventually, but it's cool (for us Brits anyway) to be getting the extended version on telly. Kinda makes up for having to wait that 5/6 days you know?

Neil
11-Oct-2010, 09:53 AM

Now that's a turn up for the books. I wonder if the extended content features more gore, or if it's down to advertising and programming scheduling etc ... kind of like how on HBO they have their shows just anything from 45 to even 70 minutes (such as Dexter, which is often 50 or even 55 minutes long), which of course doesn't fit into an hour with adverts. I don't know anything about AMC, but if they have more strict scheduling for their programmes and how many adverts can fit in then maybe that's why. I don't think FXUK are like that at all - being that they show Dexter for us Brits ... so maybe that's the reasoning.

Whatever the content of the extended stuff, I'm stoked. :) Just think, for a change it'll be Americans downloading British-aired content ... the hardcore ones anyway. It'll be on disc eventually, but it's cool (for us Brits anyway) to be getting the extended version on telly. Kinda makes up for having to wait that 5/6 days you know?

Yep!!

Me an MZ to the yanks -> :nana::nana:

:)

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2010, 09:57 AM
Yep!!

Me an MZ to the yanks -> :nana::nana:

:)

*Brit-five, BAM!* :sneaky:

Legion2213
11-Oct-2010, 10:10 AM
Exxxxtennnnded...
http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/2/24847/831166-drooling_homer_large.gif

Danny
11-Oct-2010, 10:13 AM

Now that's a turn up for the books.

not really dude, their tv censors are far more prudish. just compare jackass and dirty sanchez for a perfect comparison, two shows almost identical in premise but they blur a dildo on jackass, see a guy pound a nail through his dick into a coffee table in sanchez in the uk with no censorship at all.

I know theres still that idea that the english are uptight prudes compared to the rude outgoing loud americans, but honestly, not anymore dude, in fact i would say its the other way round nowadays.

bassman
11-Oct-2010, 11:48 AM
Seems backwards from the Censors' usual practice over here. Ususally violence and gore is accepted, while sex or nudity isn't. God forbid we see a naked body.:rolleyes:

Strange that this seems to be kinda flipping it on its head...

Neil
11-Oct-2010, 12:02 PM
Seems backwards from the Censors' usual practice over here. Ususally violence and gore is accepted, while sex or nudity isn't. God forbid we see a naked body.:rolleyes:

Strange that this seems to be kinda flipping it on its head...
True Blood and Spartacus are fairly extreme aren't they? Yet they're aired (made) in the US?

bassman
11-Oct-2010, 12:09 PM
True Blood and Spartacus are fairly extreme aren't they? Yet they're aired (made) in the US?

I believe those are on the "premium" networks. The ones you have the option to pay to have, so they can get away with R-rated material. HBO, Showtime, that kinda thing.

With basic networks like AMC they usually allow the violence through, but throw up a road block if there's a bit of nudity or sex. Because kids should be subjected to violence rather than the human figure. :rolleyes:

Either way, it's surprising that they're editing out ANYTHING considering the show is being aired after "prime time". Usually after a certain hour(10 PM), they air movies unedited. As Ms. Hurd mentioned in Leo's interview. Perhaps the extra footage is actually something that Darabont wanted taken out, but they're throwing it back in for countries outside the US? It may not have anything to do with gore at all...

Neil
11-Oct-2010, 12:39 PM
Perhaps the extra footage is actually something that Darabont wanted taken out, but they're throwing it back in for countries outside the US? It may not have anything to do with gore at all...

Absolutely... Or it may be a simple (clever) gimmick to prevent people from downloading the US version which they'd perceive as inferior?

kidgloves
11-Oct-2010, 01:25 PM
I think we've answered our own questions here. FX over here is a premium channel like HBO so theoretically anything that was trimmed could be let through. Some cuts could be as simple as a few seconds from a scene which would make the intent very different.
We do love our gore here in the UK though. Just look at the chopping up scene in Dead Set. How on earth that got on free to air tv is astounding.

Neil
11-Oct-2010, 01:48 PM
Hang on! There's me having a laugh at our US friends expense, and I've just realised I may not even have access to FX here in the UK? :eek:

MinionZombie
11-Oct-2010, 04:18 PM
Hang on! There's me having a laugh at our US friends expense, and I've just realised I may not even have access to FX here in the UK? :eek:

If you've got Sky then you'll have it. If not ... erm ... I don't know if it's on Virgin Media (I think so), but it's definitely not on Freeview.

Kidgloves makes a good point about Dead Set - while I saw it on E4 rather than Channel 4, both are "Freeview" channels and there was some astoundingly gory moments in that.

Hellsing - yeah, I know it's reversed essentially, that's what I was saying. What I'm trying to figure out is whether it's "extended" or a "director's cut" or both that'll be showing on FXUK compared to AMC. The advert on FX definitely said "The Walking Dead: Director's Cut coming soon on FX", but annoyingly I can't find any other information anywhere. I really want to know what the difference is going to be, or if it's some gimmicky lie to make sure us Brits hang around for five days waiting to see it on UK telly...

Likewise they probably don't want to say anything because it might upset American fans ... but then again, AMC isn't "premium" whereas FXUK is (i.e. on Sky or Virgin Media).

On another issue, it is rather bizarre that violence is generally okay in America (gore is a different matter though) while yeah, as soon as a bit of side boob presents itself then it's all damnation to hell. How utterly, utterly bizarre. Reminds me of this art programme Channel 4 did for one week - at lunchtime, on Channel 4 (a freeview channel anyone can get), they did live nudes posing for artists. The shot would almost never cut away from the nude so the viewer at home could join in and draw as well ... as well as an old flabby man and woman, there was a big tough black dude with his wanger properly out, and a rather fetching young female model (Kristen Varley I think she's called). You'd never see that on American free-to-air telly, least of all at lunchtime!

Neil
13-Oct-2010, 02:19 PM
I've found FX on my Sky box... I'm smiling again :)

bassman
13-Oct-2010, 02:53 PM
I've found FX on my Sky box... I'm smiling again :)

I bet that's a big sigh of relief. Good thing too, because I would've surely given you hell if you didn't have it. :p

kidgloves
18-Oct-2010, 09:09 AM
Apparently all the screeners sent out are The Directors Cut so the reviews that we will be reading tomorrow will be based on this version. No word on what the difference is though.

Neil
01-Nov-2010, 04:19 PM
So are we aware of any differences between the US' version last night, and the 'Directors' UK version this coming Friday?

bassman
01-Nov-2010, 04:23 PM
If the screener is in fact the "director's cut", it's the same thing we saw last night. I thought I had spotted a difference but others corrected me. So it looks like it's the same.

Although I don't think the screener was this "director's cut" because it had AMC all over it. Wouldn't the UK version have FX?

kidgloves
01-Nov-2010, 04:28 PM
Its hard to tell. Some podcasts seem to think we are getting an extended version as some scenes that are in the trailer are not in the US pilot. One particular scene right at the beginning definately exists in an extended form. It would make sense for the flow of the story seeing as we are getting the pilot ad free.

Neil
01-Nov-2010, 04:30 PM
Its hard to tell. Some podcasts seem to think we are getting an extended version as some scenes that are in the trailer are not in the US pilot. One particular scene right at the beginning definately exists in an extended form. It would make sense for the flow of the story seeing as we are getting the pilot ad free.

It would also account for the X minutes difference? I believe the US showing came in at less than 70 mins? Where as FX is talking about 70 mins for their showing!?

bassman
01-Nov-2010, 04:32 PM
It would also account for the X minutes difference? I believe the US showing came in at less than 70 mins? Where as FX is talking about 70 mins for their showing!?

Excluding the commercials, the US version that premiered last night is about 67 or 68 minutes.

kidgloves
01-Nov-2010, 04:39 PM

FX say "nearly" 70mins. So the 67mins of the US version is nearly 70 mins isn't it?
Im confused :confused:

The extended scene by the way is

In the trailer you see Rick running down the highway with the gas tank.
After Rick blows the girl zombie away in the opening scene it disturbs the lurkers in the wrecked cars and all hell breaks loose concluding with Rick legging it off down the highway

Neil
01-Nov-2010, 04:40 PM
Excluding the commercials, the US version that premiered last night is about 67 or 68 minutes.

I recon it's the same then. UK on FX starts at 10:00pm and the next program starts at 11:10pm... So 2-3mins of adverts between them!

bassman
01-Nov-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm thinking they're calling it the "Director's Cut" because there are no commercials. After all, I'm sure Darabont would prefer the show to air without commercial interuption.

Anyway....even if it is different, we'll all get everything on the BR/DVD. So the series will be over in a little over a month....anyone know how long it took for AMC's other shows to be put out on DVD? I'm thinking maybe spring/summer for TWD? It would be great, but I doubt they could get it out before Christmas...

Tricky
05-Nov-2010, 08:54 AM
Holy shit dudes, finally get to see what everyone's talking about tonight!!

MinionZombie
05-Nov-2010, 10:35 AM
Holy shit dudes, finally get to see what everyone's talking about tonight!!

Damn straight. I'll be 'Randy Marshing' at 10pm tonight!

Man, it's been a TWD fan's ordeal-and-a-half waiting for tonight to show my official support, but well, tonight's the feckin' night, WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Tricky
05-Nov-2010, 11:08 PM
Damn guys, any of y'all got a spare cloth I can clean this up with :lol:
http://www.atlnightspots.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/RandyMarshJizz.jpg

kidgloves
06-Nov-2010, 12:05 AM
The German pilot was only 45mins long and was cut to shit. No violence or gore cut just the tension and atmosphere. Pathetic. Why do that?

Andy
06-Nov-2010, 12:09 AM
Germany has notoriously harsh government censors, i thought everyone knew that. Germany and australia are 2 of the most heavilly censored free countries in the world.

kidgloves
06-Nov-2010, 12:22 AM
Germany has notoriously harsh government censors, i thought everyone knew that. Germany and australia are 2 of the most heavilly censored free countries in the world.

Yeah but they cut the drama and tension not gore. Rushed it along

Legion2213
06-Nov-2010, 12:33 AM

I saw their version of C&C Generals...all the generals have been made up to look like cyborgs so it's not like you are killing/fighting real people (because we all know extreme censorship makes people better). :whatever:

MinionZombie
06-Nov-2010, 11:33 AM
Damn guys, any of y'all got a spare cloth I can clean this up with :lol:
http://www.atlnightspots.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/RandyMarshJizz.jpg

I can second the above reaction. :D

The German pilot was only 45mins long and was cut to shit. No violence or gore cut just the tension and atmosphere. Pathetic. Why do that?

Very odd. Germany are so often cutting gore like madmen, but to cut the non-gore stuff?! How bizarre.

I'll be blogging my thoughts in-depth and in-full later on, but I made a bunch of notes last night just to keep my memory of it fresh. In short though, I loved it. :cool::thumbsup:

kidgloves
06-Nov-2010, 09:58 PM
Looks like Fox are distributing a 45 min butchered version and the Directors Cut referred to is the 67 min version the US and UK got. Case solved :)

Gryphon
11-Nov-2010, 11:36 PM
Whatever the content of the extended stuff, I'm stoked. :) Just think, for a change it'll be Americans downloading British-aired content ...

Well, as an avid Doctor Who and Torchwood fan... not that much of a change for me :p

bassman
11-Nov-2010, 11:40 PM
Has the verdict come in yet? From what I hear, the UK "director's cut" is no different from what we saw in the US. The only difference is a lack of commercials...