PDA

View Full Version : AMC's Fear Fest (2010 awards voting)

ProfessorChaos
15-Oct-2010, 07:09 PM
okay, well our favorite holiday is almost upon us, and AMC's fear fest is just around the corner. they have a few polls up on their site right now, and in almost all categories, Halloween and John Carpenter are walking away with a huge lead. Romero and NotLD come in 2nd in most categories, but they've got a long way to catch up.

so, even if you're like me and think that uncle george has lost his touch (*cough*survival*cough*), we gotta show some love for the godfather of the zombie genre...get over to AMC's site and vote. like bassman has said, halloween is okay, but not as phenomenal as everyone makes it out to be. Night of the Living Dead, however, well...you guys know what I'm talking about, right?

http://www.amctv.com/fearfest/awards/

bassman
15-Oct-2010, 07:13 PM
Just voted. Jesus man....I think it's rigged for Carpenter. WAY, WAY, WAY too many votes for that mediocre flick. If it were The Thing...sure, I could see that. But not Halloween...

And i'm shocked to see Aliens on there. It's a great film and all, but not something I would put into "best horror" categories. It's an action film at heart...

ProfessorChaos
15-Oct-2010, 07:15 PM
yeah, even with everyone on this site voting, we still got a long hill to climb. i do love halloween 1 & 2, and they helped start the slasher genre(which i am not a fan of), but c'mon...it's nowhere near as revolutionary or ground-breaking as Night of the Living Dead.

AcesandEights
15-Oct-2010, 07:18 PM
Just voted. Jesus man....I think it's rigged for Carpenter.

Fucking rigged, is right. WTF?!

Mike70
17-Oct-2010, 05:43 PM
i still threw in some votes. i went with "frankenstein" in movies, amy steel in scream queens, lon chaney, jr. in bleeding men, romero in directors (due to the lack of james whale being one of the choices), and the writers of "frankenstein" in the last category.

i am a huge fan of the films of the 30s and 40s. they have class, something that is glaringly absent from most modern horror.

Kaos
18-Oct-2010, 03:06 PM
Mike, have you seen The Black Cat (1934) with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi? This is one mighty subversive flick even by today's standards. Highly recommended, but it currently only resides on dvd on the Bela Lugosi Collection set here: Click Here ( http://www.amazon.com/Lugosi-Collection-Murders-Morgue-Invisible/dp/B0009X770E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287414016&sr=8-1)

You may be able to rent the set from Netlix though.

Mike70
18-Oct-2010, 03:11 PM
Mike, have you seen The Black Cat (1934) with Boris Karloff and Bela Lugosi? This is one mighty subversive flick even by today's standards. Highly recommended, but it currently only resides on dvd on the Bela Lugosi Collection set here: Click Here ( http://www.amazon.com/Lugosi-Collection-Murders-Morgue-Invisible/dp/B0009X770E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287414016&sr=8-1)

You may be able to rent the set from Netlix though.

that is a great movie! strange and rather perverse but a great film.

i've bought literally everything universal has put out on dvd from the classic era and that includes the lugosi collection.

i'm set as far as those flicks go.