PDA

View Full Version : New Anime- High School of the Dead

rightwing401
17-Oct-2010, 02:31 PM
Ho...ly...crap. I found this new little gem last night on my on demand by dumb chance, and I am glad that I did.

Normally I am not a very big anime fan, but this series is bad ass. I only watched the first episode, and it totally blew away damn near every non-romero zombie movie that I've ever seen. The zombies are the slow, stupid Romero type, with a bite ensuring slow and painful death.

The main character, Takashi Komuro, is a horror buff who knows his zombie movies. He's also kind of torn emotionally at the onset of the zombie outbreak because his best friend just so happens to be dating the girl whom he's been in love with since before he was supposed to like girls. While he's spacing out on a stairway overlooking the school's main court yard, he spots an altercation happing at the main gate between a wierd looking dude and several teachers. And he watches on with horror as the dude promptly chomps down on a teacher's arm. From there, a chain reaction of carnage ensues.

Being that this is an anime, it has some typical effects that are over the top, such as blood spurting from bit wounds in fountains, zombie mouths expanding wider than is humanly possible, and human characters jumping and hitting in ways no normal human can do. But in an odd way, those effects just make the anime that much more enjoyable.

But more than just the effects is the emotional angle that is shown. They have one scene where two girls are running down the hallway trying to escape the zombies, saying how they are best friends and would never leave each other. But as they are running up a flight of stairs, one gets grabbed on the leg by a zombie. As the undead fiend begins to pull her down, she wildly begs her best friend to help her. Her friend's response is to promptly turn around and deliver a vicious monkey stomp right to her face, causing her to let go and thus giving her friend the chance to get away.

I won't go much more into it, other than to say this is definately a series I'll be on the lookout for. The only downside I will give for this series is that it has plenty of clevage and panty shots you find in lots of animes, which were really unnecessary to the overall plot, except in one brief scene, which I won't explain why.

Overall, definately something to check out.

soulsyfn
21-Oct-2010, 05:50 PM
What ondemand channel was this on?

MoonSylver
21-Oct-2010, 05:54 PM
There's been a couple of other threads around, not sure if they have details:

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?17574-High-School-of-the-Dead-Anime

http://forum.homepageofthedead.com/showthread.php?17175-Highschool-of-the-Dead

rightwing401
22-Oct-2010, 01:11 PM
Main on demand menu, go to previews and extras. It's in the anime section.