PDA

View Full Version : Greg Nicotero interview

Neil
26-Oct-2010, 08:50 AM
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47197

ProfessorChaos
26-Oct-2010, 09:56 AM
that was a very interesting interview. i didn't know that KNB did the effects for "the pacific", or that they'd won an award for it. great to hear a reverence coming from both the interviewer and nicotero about the horrors of the pacific theater and their respect for the young men who fought and died on all those tiny hellish islands thousands of miles from their homes.

until the walking dead came along, i'd have to say that night of the living dead 1990 has had the most authentic and believable zombies, but after catching the pilot, i'd have to say that nicotero and his crew have set the new gold standard for zombie effects. that bicycle girl zombie has to be the most disturbing and pitiful zombie ever captured on film. goddamn, this series is gonna be off the charts fucking epic.

thanks for the link, neil.:)

bassman
26-Oct-2010, 12:17 PM
until the walking dead came along, i'd have to say that night of the living dead 1990 has had the most authentic and believable zombies, but after catching the pilot, i'd have to say that nicotero and his crew have set the new gold standard for zombie effects. that bicycle girl zombie has to be the most disturbing and pitiful zombie ever captured on film. goddamn, this series is gonna be off the charts fucking epic.

What I loved most about her is that she's really the first perfect combination of practical and digital effects. It's flawless. She really looks like a torso crawling around. Romero should take note that THIS is how you incorporate CGI to zombies...

Interesting interview. :)

ProfessorChaos
26-Oct-2010, 05:03 PM
there's a shitload romero could take note of from the walking dead. i've lost almost all faith in his ability to make a decent zombie film these days, and after seeing the TWD pilot, i can't believe how far he's fallen from his glory days. that 67-minute show was better than all three of his last dead films for various reasons.

i've never teared up during any romero film, either, and the walking dead had me all misty-eyed a couple of times, which speaks volumes to the amount of human emotion and connectivity i felt with these characters compared to any from any romero films.

as far as the effects go, romero hasn't had nicotero doing his effects lately has he? that CGI in survival was some of the worst i'd ever seen (not to mention the acting, plot, characters, etc)....i mean, you can tell it's CG in TWD, but they do their best to make it look authentic and most importantly, don't do any stupid gags with it.

seems like romero is surrounded by the types of "yeah, that sounds great, george" crew members and assistants as george lucas during the star wars prequels, just a bunch of fan-boys or people without the guts to say "hold on a sec....you want to do what?" and just let him make a bunch of silly plot devices, gags, etc without telling him how lame some of that shit is.

MoonSylver
26-Oct-2010, 06:09 PM
as far as the effects go, romero hasn't had nicotero doing his effects lately has he? that CGI in survival was some of the worst i'd ever seen (not to mention the acting, plot, characters, etc)....i mean, you can tell it's CG in TWD, but they do their best to make it look authentic and most importantly, don't do any stupid gags with it.

Yeah, he has. I wouldn't hold that against him though. What could be accomplished probably has a lot to due with the $ & time available. Plus I always get the vibe in interviews that he has a lot of genuine affection for ol' George & is happy just be working with him, & would probably cook up whatever gag he wanted (whether it's stupid or not).

darth los
26-Oct-2010, 06:15 PM
Again, GAr has not had characters that we care about in a very long time.

It's a glaring shortcoming of the new trilogy. Instead of using the ghouls as a vehichle to tell a human story, do a social commentary on the human condition, it's become an unorganized clusterfuck full of cheap gags and bad acting.

:cool: