PDA

View Full Version : so im watching halloween.......

acealive1
27-Oct-2010, 09:58 PM
3! and my god is this movie under rated just because it has the halloween name. i was listening to the beginning score and they shoulda had carpenter do the terminator 1 score, his sound is way more cooler.

a proper remake with today's technology would blow your mind.

bassman
27-Oct-2010, 10:41 PM
I watched Halloween 3 and 4 last night on AMC. Didn't much enjoy either of them. 3 was pretty much made-for-tv quality. Atkins was the only good thing about it.

acealive1
27-Oct-2010, 10:45 PM
I watched Halloween 3 and 4 last night on AMC. Didn't much enjoy either of them. 3 was pretty much made-for-tv quality. Atkins was the only good thing about it.

what do ya expect with a 2 mil budget? a very practical movie, save for the beams of light and it was FINE. it was an extension of the haddonfield universe and it was a great movie. they tried to show u more and people weren't having it obviously. if only it hadnt been named halloween...but then again, some of the films with myers sucked too

Mike70
27-Oct-2010, 10:50 PM

ditto here, except i didn't make it through all of 4. most movies centered around kids don't do much for me and that one is no exception. then again, maybe it is the fact that 4 sucks ass as film...

my opinion of III has improved over time but i still think it is mostly crap, saved somewhat by the inclusion of tom atkins.

on another note:

i watched rob zombie's turdtastic offering the other night and while my opinion of it has gone up with a second viewing, i still don't much care for it. one of my biggest problems is the depiction of dr. loomis. why make him so unsympathetic in the remake? zombie took one of horrordom's greatest characters and shit all over it.

bassman
27-Oct-2010, 11:02 PM
I would much rather watch Zombie's remake over the original or first three sequels any day of the week. Going to watch part 5 and 6 tonight and tomorrow, but I doubt they can save this series. Much like the Friday the 13th series, it's just one crap film after another imitating crap film....

what do ya expect with a 2 mil budget? a very practical movie, save for the beams of light and it was FINE. it was an extension of the haddonfield universe and it was a great movie. they tried to show u more and people weren't having it obviously. if only it hadnt been named halloween...but then again, some of the films with myers sucked too

The budget or title mean nothing to me. They could have called it "Tom Atkins Battles the Shamrocks" and it still would have been a piece of shit.

MikePizzoff
27-Oct-2010, 11:06 PM
3! and my god is this movie under rated just because it has the halloween name. i was listening to the beginning score and they shoulda had carpenter do the terminator 1 score, his sound is way more cooler.

Hm, I had no Carpenter did the soundtrack to Halloween 3. Just looked up the them and it definitely sounds like a leftover track from Escape From NY.

acealive1
27-Oct-2010, 11:19 PM
Hm, I had no Carpenter did the soundtrack to Halloween 3. Just looked up the them and it definitely sounds like a leftover track from Escape From NY.

its creepy for sure. i liked it

Kaos
28-Oct-2010, 01:45 AM
I consider Halloween 3 a guilty pleasure. I know a lot of folks dogged it only because it was not a MM story. I think the approach made perfect sense, and they were right when they thought MM was played out after Halloween 2.

Is it great cinema? Nope, but I still enjoy the hell out of it. It is camp and kitsch well done. I am a Silver Shamrock fan all the way.

I wish I had bought those masks when Don Post was selling them back in the day. Each mask had a little button on it with a chip in it just like in the movie.

Eyebiter
31-Oct-2010, 05:52 PM
While watching Halloween 3 today brought back an old memory.

Was in a Lewis Drug store shortly after the movie was released. Must have been in November because there was a huge rack of the three masks from Halloween 3 left. The retail price was too high and no one bought them. Recall the lady stocking shelves was trying to get me to buy one marked down at $20. Said I'd wait until the next year to buy one, she said there wouldn't be any next year.

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Vintage Silver Shamrock Advertisement from Starlog magazine

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd170/videohunter1975/PictureorVideo064.jpg

LouCipherr
01-Nov-2010, 02:48 PM
3 was pretty much made-for-tv quality. Atkins was the only good thing about it.

This.

what do ya expect with a 2 mil budget?

Something as good as the original, considering the original cost a hell of a lot less to make. :lol:

ProfessorChaos
01-Nov-2010, 07:43 PM
The budget or title mean nothing to me. They could have called it "Tom Atkins Battles the Shamrocks" and it still would have been a piece of shit.

seconded. i tried to watch this the other day but that annoying fucking song totally killed any desire for further viewing after i heard it like 3 times in the first 15 minutes of the movie.

if i worked with JP (who's always going around singing that song at work, so he claims) i'd probably throw a stapler at his head as soon as i heard him start in on that irritating shit.

and in my humble opinion, all halloween sequels past part 2 are fucking worthless, H20 and H: resurrection being the worst, by far.

LouCipherr
01-Nov-2010, 07:56 PM
and in my humble opinion, all halloween sequels past part 2 are fucking worthless

I have always held fast to this idea when it came to Halloween:

Halloween, Halloween 2, and H20 are the only ones that I consider "real" halloween films, and H20 I did not care for one single bit, but, at least JLC "came home" (to borrow part of the phrase on the poster for the original Halloween).

The rest of them can eat a really big bowl of fuck. :shifty:

ProfessorChaos
01-Nov-2010, 11:19 PM
i tried watching H20 this weekend, but it was so fucking lame, and every five minutes they had some corny "ZOMG JUMP OUT OF YOUR SEAT WITH LOUD MUSIC AND QUICK CAMERA SHIFTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" bit, even if it was just jamie lee curtis turning around in broad daylight and bumping into that old lady at the school/academy/whatever the fuck that place was. and don't get me started on resurrection and busta rhymes and his dumb internet show helping MM jump the fucking shark.

so yeah, halloween 1 & 2 are classics to me, the only ones on my shelf, and like you said, the rest can piss off.

MoonSylver
02-Nov-2010, 12:20 AM
You can see my thoughts in my Halloween movie thread if you're really interested. Capsule version: Hadn't seen 2-6 in years, H20 or Res at all. Enjoyed 1, 2 & 4, didn't enjoy 5 & 6 as much as I remembered, H20 was okayyyy-ish, Resurrection can burn in hell. Every copy of that movie should be gathered & rammed up Busta Rhymes ass. :mad: :rant:

Overall, it's a shame that the Halloween "series" doesn't really hang together as a "series" as well as Friday the 13th IMO.

triste realtà
02-Nov-2010, 04:07 AM
Watched III yesterday and it has shot into my top 10 aided by the fact that it has a white haired old man as a world killing villain that has minions in suits that bleed yellow. Now where have I seen that before...:confused:

Cool music, great sets and camera work by Carpenter (which made me realize how many cool movies he's made and why don't I own any?). I read the dude that wrote it was disgusted by all the gore and subsequently wanted his name removed from the credits.

MinionZombie
02-Nov-2010, 11:01 AM
I watched Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 (theatrical version) t'other night. I'd already seen the Director's Cut, and I have to say the DC was superior to the TC. Two scenes in particular - when Sheriff Brackett (Brad Douriff) finds Annie in the bathroom - holy fuck, Douriff goes into acting-his-ass-off-overdrive. The DC version of the scene is pitch perfect in my view, Douriff's performance is like a wounded dog, really haunting.

Secondly, the finale. The TC version is shit. The DC version is creepy and far more interesting (plus - Nan Vernon "Love Hurts" used to far better effect in the DC).

However, as I've said before, H2 really splits me down the middle. For every scene I dig, there are 1.5-to-2 scenes I think are shit - such as the painfully blunt opening text and scene about 'the white horse' (*sigh*), or after the van crashes and that dude just grunts and says "fuck" and makes weird faces for five fucking minutes ... seriously, that moment went on entirely too long, wtf were they thinking? :confused:

The initial aftermath - with Laurie all fucked up and screaming and getting operated on, that was some hardcore stuff and worked very well. In the 1980's Halloween 2 it was fairly sanitised, whereas in RZ's H2 you've been through some serious shit, and it reflects in a far more horrific and realistic manner. So that scenes works really well.

However, along comes Malcolm MacDowell (who I quite enjoyed as Lumis in H1) as a total twat version of Lumis for 95% of the movie and that ruins every scene he's in ... so yeah, like I said, for every scene I dig, there's two scenes I don't ... a real shame really as I really did quite enjoy H1 (even though the original is still, naturally, the best version ... but I did like how RZ made it his own and took it in a different direction ... H2 was clearly a rush job though, but it did have a handful of excellent moments ... but that doesn't save the movie in general).

I tell you what's properly shit though - Halloween Resurrection. I caught the last five minutes of that on BBC1 t'other day and my god, what a sack of crap. It's just so friggin' bad ... that's not aged at all well, but then it was shit in 1998, so 12 years just made it shittier to the extreme.

Halloween 3 - I never saw it for the longest time, then finally did and quite enjoyed it as it's own thing ... even with the annoyingly catchy Shamrock jingle. It's a bit of old nonsense at times, but Atkins rocks, the music rocks, and I really dig that early 80s horror movie vibe to it ... it should have been called something else though. It's not great, but it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I'd thought it was gonna be.

Halloween 4 through 6 are shit, 7 had something generally interesting about it, but the relentless post-Scream vibe is smothering. It's so "hey look, how cool are we?!" and it's so obvious throughout.

LouCipherr
02-Nov-2010, 02:02 PM
I watched Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 (theatrical version) t'other night.

I told you not to waste your time with that shit. :lol:

I personally can't believe you found even one scene that was redeeming, MZ. While I thought his first attempt at Halloween was a fail of epic proportions, there isn't a "fail scale" large enough to rate how bad H2 was... :rolleyes:

...and people think "Resurrection" was bad? hah! :lol:

MikePizzoff
03-Nov-2010, 07:11 AM
When the hell are rights going to be squashed the the US see a nice Halloween boxset?! Never, I suppose.

Why ask a question I'll just answer, myself? I dunno.

Eyebiter
04-Nov-2010, 02:42 PM
Why wait for a studio box set?

Pick up the individual movies on DVD and store them in this...

http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/images/cases/Halloween1.jpg

http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/sequels2.html

bassman
04-Nov-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/sequels2.html

Wow. Those are some nice collectors boxes. If the alien series didn't have the new Blu Ray set, I would have purchased one of his just because they say Legacy instead of "Quadrilogy".

Speaking of funny words....never seen trilogy spelled this way. :rockbrow:

http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/images/cases/Rambo.jpg

Mr.G
05-Nov-2010, 01:16 PM
I've said it before...but if H3 wasn't titled with 'Halloween' I think it would have been more successful and a solid cult classic.