PDA

View Full Version : Encouraging signs about TWD.

Wyldwraith
01-Nov-2010, 08:48 AM
Hey all,
A thought occurred to me concerning our much-anticipated Zombie TV show. Namely "I wonder how "outsiders" (Ie: People who aren't zombie fans) will react to TWD?" And: "Will TWD be deemed "acceptable" as regular TV fare by the public at large?"

In search of an answer for these two troubling questions I turned to my mother and grandmother as sort of a "Control Group" for my inquiry.

To be concise: No, they didn't much care for TWD, BUT *they saw nothing wrong with it as a TV show.*

Now, I feel this is important because my Mom and Grandma both have weak stomachs when it comes to gore (though my Mom is much, MUCH more openminded about it), and both suffer from anxiety issues that are stress related.

Keeping this in mind, I rather neutrally/offhandedly asked both of them in turn what they felt would be an appropriate reaction to this TV show they didn't much like.

My Mom's answer: "I'd just change the channel. It's not as if there aren't dozens of other shows I don't like, and I change the channel when they come on. Why should this show be any different. After all, I watch Dexter and you don't much care for it, but you aren't out campaigning to have it driven off the air."

My Grandma's answer: "I don't know why you'd want to watch something so gory and violent, and it would give me nightmares, but if you enjoy it knock yourself out, I'll just change the channel if I happen to come across it."

Now, this may SEEM like an entirely negative reaction from both of them, but consider the up-side.

People who don't like zombie movies were NEVER going to be the target audience of TWD, and there's nothing anyone could or should do about that. All we could ask for from non-fans is they shrug their shoulders, don't "get it", and calmly change the channel.

If the majority of people who don't like TWD react in a similar manner, this show has no problems and should run a good long time. It's after all a pretty sure thing that TWD is going to make it onto the viewing itinerary of all the zombie fans, and remember, zombies have become a LOT more popular/trendy in the last couple of years, as Time's "Year of the Zombie" article, and the recent rise in book store promotional events of certain zombie novels can attest to.

Finally, TWD is an AMC show. NOT a WB-type, and certainly not a FOX/CBS-type show. It doesn't need to become the next Lost to secure its multi-season-long place on the AMC lineup. It only needs to garner about 2/3rds of the Breaking Bad or Mad Men crowd/viewership.

See what I mean?

Thoughts?

kidgloves
01-Nov-2010, 09:10 AM
Interesting.
I've had different reactions. My sister loved it and I was a bit worried about how she would react to the opening scene but her response was that Rick had to do it. He was gonna get killed. I found that said a lot about how the average viewer would react. I think the only people who are going to be offended are the type who want to be.
My niece has since gone batshit crazy over all things TWD. She's blasted through 7 vols already and I keep getting texts from her with questions about the characters decisions which is a good sign. A friend of mine who wasn't interested in post apocalyptic scenarios before has been telling me what he would do and where he would go and whether he could what he needed to survive. Again a great sign.
There is the possibility that we are all just caught up in the same bubble and have dragged our associates into it. Maybe the average viewer hates it. We'll soon see.
The critics loved it though.

bassman
01-Nov-2010, 01:04 PM
My wife doesn't like zombie movies and she loves the show. The only zombie movie she kinda liked was Day, and that was for Bub. Same with my brother. He doesn't like zombie movies or horror in general, but he thought TWD was fantastic.

I think the show will definitely have legs with non genre fans if the rest of the series holds up as well as the pilot.

rongravy
01-Nov-2010, 01:59 PM
Yeah, everybody watching TWD with me last night thought it was great, and none of them are that big into zombies. My wife wanted more when it was over. She said something like, "I have to wait to see more of this?"
I take that as a good sign. Every other show I've tried to get her into, she wasn't into. She likes crap like Prison Break, and novellas on Univision. This is a good sign. Yes, it is.
I think it'll be well received by many non zombie freaks.

Legion2213
01-Nov-2010, 07:24 PM
This show may be based around zombies, but I think that it has several other things going for it.

1: Post Apocalypse, this is popular, more popular than people give credit, every human is facinated with "the end of the world"

2: Great drama, some will end up watching it when there is nothing else that apeals to them and could end up being sucked in

3: Brilliant production values, people like slick, good looking TV, and this be a handsome production.

4: Ex nBSG viewers that aren't interested in the genere may take a peak to see what Bear McCreary does with the score...he was massively respected by the nBSG crowd.

I'm sure there are loads of reasons that this could fail eventually, but to joe average, this may just be different enough from the standard "CSI/Cop shows" to spark an interest in something new.

Wyldwraith
01-Nov-2010, 10:16 PM
Exactly what I was driving at,
Interest and a desire to see more of the series is great for TWD, but of particular note are the opinions of those people that up until now have wanted nothing to do with zombie-related media. It's great that a % of individuals who fall into the non-zombie-fan category consider TWD something they want to watch, but in the long run I believe that the calm and reasonable choice to change the channel will serve TWD's chances of multi-season survival just as well as the devoted viewing of the show's fans.

Why? We know there are enough fans of Kirkman's comic series, zombie fans in general, and various curious/openminded sorts to create a suitably large fanbase. All that we need other than that is for no annoyingly tenacious protest movement to coalesce. Which isn't likely to happen if otherwise disinterested third parties see the show as just another overly violent program they don't want to watch. Without the support of the viewing public, no protest of the show will amount to anything.

Anyone see any holes in my reasoning?

kidgloves
02-Nov-2010, 12:42 AM
Your reasoning is sound.
Some numbers for you.
TWD had 5.3m viewers.
Mad Men had 900,000 with 1.8m for the heavily promoted 2nd season.
Breaking Bad had 1.4m rising to 2m for the 3rd season.
Even taking into account the potential drop off TWD has kicked ass big style.
Good times.

---------- Post added 02-Nov-2010 at 12:42 AM ---------- Previous post was 01-Nov-2010 at 10:32 PM ----------

Oh yes. AMC are up for it.

“It’s a good day to be dead. We are so proud of this series, its depth of storytelling and the remarkable talent attached,” said Charlie Collier, AMC’s president. “As the network dedicated to bringing viewers the best stories on television, we are so pleased to have the opportunity with ‘The Walking Dead’ to raise the bar within this popular genre and continue our commitment to being the home of premium television on basic cable.”

“’The Walking Dead’ is that rare piece of programming that works on so many levels. It is legitimately great storytelling that is not only highly entertaining, but incredibly thought provoking as well. People who are familiar with the comic books know what’s coming, but suffice it to say, this is only the beginning of a long, intense, and powerful ride. Long live ‘The Walking Dead’,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s SVP of original programming, production and digital content.

AMC’s first wholly-owned original production, “The Walking Dead” premiered globally on October 31 through an unprecedented partnership with AMC and Fox International Channels. Similar to a theatrical film release, all Fox International Channels are launching the premiere episode this week, resulting in the series’ debuting in 120 countries and in 33 languages.

Wyldwraith
02-Nov-2010, 01:00 AM
Oh wow,
I just caught two words of the AMC statement that all but announces TWD will be with us for some time to come. Ie: "Wholly owned". Stop and consider that, AMC made a SIGNIFICANT outlay of cash if they bought unconditional TV-rights to something as big as Kirkman's baby. NOT something they would've done if this was a highly speculative venture. The fact they're in bed with FOX on this is just gravy. Besides, when was the last time you saw AMC put out a new series that DIDN'T go 5+ seasons?

kidgloves
02-Nov-2010, 01:07 AM
This stood out for me

this is only the beginning of a long, intense, and powerful ride. Long live ‘The Walking Dead’,” said Joel Stillerman, AMC’s SVP of original programming, production and digital content.