PDA

View Full Version : The Hospital

Gemini
04-Nov-2010, 04:52 PM
How was the Hospital overriden and how were the living defeated in that battle?

They seemed to have a pretty orderly way dispose of the dead and had no problem containing a mass of them in behind the chained double doors.

So why did they abandon?

Theories?

bassman
04-Nov-2010, 04:57 PM
I imagine they had control of the situation at first, but as people kept coming in injured and the noise kept attracting more dead, which in turn would bite other people....it piled up too quickly and they had to bail out. Then the temporary base across the way was also over run. Most of the soldiers were probably headed for Atlanta like Rick. Of course they probably weren't as lucky...

How long were there even doctors there? I'm reminded of Planet Terror and "self preservation comes to mind". Once those doctors figured the shit out, don't you think they would have ran?

My big question is how did the buildings get holes blown in them? The soldiers were using rockets against the dead? :lol:

Gemini
04-Nov-2010, 05:04 PM
I imagine they had control of the situation at first, but as people kept coming in injured and the noise kept attracting more dead, which in turn would bite other people....it piled up too quickly and they had to bail out. Then the temporary base across the way was also over run. Most of the soldiers were probably headed for Atlanta like Rick. Of course they probably weren't as lucky...

How long were there even doctors there? I'm reminded of Planet Terror and "self preservation comes to mind". Once those doctors figured the shit out, don't you think they would have ran?

My big question is how did the buildings get holes blown in them? The soldiers were using rockets against the dead? :lol:

Nice explanation. The undead virus would spread like wildfire through hospitals; starting in the morgue and crossing over to the incoming injured and physicians working in close proximity to all. This madness had clearly disspitated by the time Lincoln awoke.

Regarding the holes in the building, I suspect the Military was foolish enough to use 'shock and awe' tactics similar The Battle of Yonkers in WWZ. On another note, if that Yonkers battle is faithfully translated to the big screen, that may be the most awesome cinematic display in zombie history!

darth los
04-Nov-2010, 05:05 PM
@ Bass

Grenades being thrown maybe? :confused:

:cool:

bassman
04-Nov-2010, 05:08 PM
Grenades being thrown maybe? :confused:

That's a good explanation. Although....I would have to go back and check, but I believe some of the holes were two or three floors up. Maybe they were using the grenades inside, but the holes looked like they were made from the outside to me. Of course I know nothing about this sort of stuff. Maybe one of our military members can comment on what sort of holes they looked like...

Debbieangel
04-Nov-2010, 05:14 PM
I agree with what everyone is saying...believe me if I were a hospital worker as soon as I had an inkling that the dead had risen I would be outta there.
I had said in another thread that someone took care to put the gurney/bed in front of Rick's room. When I watched it the third time I watched and there wasn't any other beds in the hallway. So, that for me backs up that someone took time to care eventho Rick was comatose and might not ever wake up.
As for the grenades or whatever being launched at the hospital imo the military was getting overrun and possibly it was a last ditch effort to kill the zombies and keep the numbers of them down. Also could have been orders from HQ to destroy the hospital and that might be also why there wasn't anyone in it,but, then the military got overrun before it was accomplished.

darth los
04-Nov-2010, 05:16 PM
That's what I was thinking too, from the inside. I don't see any reason someone would throw a grenade or fire artillery at a floor four stories up.

Remember all the wiring coming down from the ceiling as well? Perhaps it got too hot in a hallway or someone was cornered from both side of the hallway and decided to clear some space with a frag?

Now before you say he might have blown himself up too just think of the alternative of letting those things catch you. :dead:

bassman
04-Nov-2010, 05:19 PM
Rick's lucky the whole place didn't burn to the ground before he woke up. People just running around tossing grenades. :lol:

I wondered about the wire hanging down in the hallways. The drop ceiling could collapse from an explosion elsewhere in the building. Just the vibrations can bring down those flimsy ceilings....but the wire? It would take a lot of force to break and pull down electrical wire. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into it and it was just cool looking set design. :p

darth los
04-Nov-2010, 05:20 PM
It might be cool looking dsign but if it's there it has to be explained how/why.

Isn't that the same standard we hold GAr to?

AcesandEights
04-Nov-2010, 05:22 PM

Capt. Harris: Snakebite leader, Ripper Bravo Six, we're gonna need you soonest be advised I've got zeds in the wire down here, over!

Phantom Pilot: Roger your last Bravo Six, Snakebite lead we can't run it any closer. We're hot to trot and packing snake and nape but we're bingo fuel. It's your call, Six actual, Over.

Capt. Harris: Snakebite leader, Bravo Six, for the record, it's my call. Dump everything you got left ON MY POS. I say again, I want all you're holding INSIDE the perimeter. It's a lovely fucking war. Bravo Six Actual and Out.

Phantom Pilot: Roger your last Bravo Six. We copy it's your call. Get em in their holes down there. Hang tough, Bravo Six we are coming cocked for treetops. Whiskey to Echo... Snakebite Two, this is lead. Last pass on zero niner. Watch my smoke to target, expend all remaining. Follow my trace...

MoonSylver
That's a good explanation. Although....I would have to go back and check, but I believe some of the holes were two or three floors up. Maybe they were using the grenades inside, but the holes looked like they were made from the outside to me. Of course I know nothing about this sort of stuff. Maybe one of our military members can comment on what sort of holes they looked like...

There were tanks nearby there, yes? Maybe from the main guns? Or rockets from the choppers? Maybe somebody was panicked & started firing wild, especially if say, a fellow soldier IN the tank or chopper just turned...:)

bassman
It might be cool looking dsign but if it's there it has to be explained how/why.

Isn't that the same standard we hold GAr to?

The hallway wires are the new "carboard wall". :lol:

ProfessorChaos
04-Nov-2010, 05:25 PM
*to the rescue*

it's hard to tell, really. the hospital building that rick comes out of seems to have some debris hanging out of the building, as if there was a force from inside. but a single grenade would not be likely to do that sort of damage. i manned a mark-19 40mm grenade launcher in iraq, and the only buildings i lit up were not concrete structures, but kind of like mud-hut type dwellings. also, on that building, it appears that the blocks have been knocked out in an even fashion, there is no jagged or busted edges, so my guess is that maybe as more and more people were dying, they knocked a wall out which faced the back lot and loading docks to move the bodies out faster.

the 2nd building he sees with all the military equipment in the front of it has more tell-tale marks of some sort of explosions going on. there are plenty of charred areas which might indicate a fire of some sort. the edges of these holes are also very uneven and a lot of debris can be seen, so perhaps this building was fired upon with a barrage of 40mm grenades or a few AT4's.

darth los
04-Nov-2010, 05:49 PM
*to the rescue*

it's hard to tell, really. the hospital building that rick comes out of seems to have some debris hanging out of the building, as if there was a force from inside. but a single grenade would not be likely to do that sort of damage. i manned a mark-19 40mm grenade launcher in iraq, and the only buildings i lit up were not concrete structures, but kind of like mud-hut type dwellings. also, on that building, it appears that the blocks have been knocked out in an even fashion, there is no jagged or busted edges, so my guess is that maybe as more and more people were dying, they knocked a wall out which faced the back lot and loading docks to move the bodies out faster.

the 2nd building he sees with all the military equipment in the front of it has more tell-tale marks of some sort of explosions going on. there are plenty of charred areas which might indicate a fire of some sort. the edges of these holes are also very uneven and a lot of debris can be seen, so perhaps this building was fired upon with a barrage of 40mm grenades or a few AT4's.

Well, thank you for your service and your insight.

That's Bad ass by the way.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

The hallway wires are the new "carboard wall". :lol:

DO NOT get me started on that again. :mad:

I'd hate to be labled a GAr basher. :rolleyes:

Trin
04-Nov-2010, 06:18 PM
The hospital is just difficult. As I said in one of the other threads, to me the 28 Days Later-ish start is a weakness of TWD.

I have admittedly mixed beliefs about the hospital situation.

Given that there wasn't a mass of zombies in and around the hospital we have to assume one of a couple things.
(1) The hospital was evacuated while things were still relatively under control.
(2) The hospital was overrun, but the zombified patients and staff all left.

If the hospital was evacuated then I find it very odd that a law enforcement officer in relatively good physical health would be left behind. There didn't seem to be a lot of evidence that A LOT of the patients were left behind, only him. But we don't really know that they didn't leave tons of patients behind, and they all died and shambled off in the time he slept.

The idea that the hospital was overrun makes more sense to me. The physical condition of the place looked like a battleground. The idea that the gurney was placed as a barricade to Grimes room stands up in that scenario. All we really need to account for is all the zombies that should've been around, and that's not too hard to explain. We didn't see much of the hospital. They could've been inside still. Or they could've followed whatever few survivors fled.

It's fun speculation though.

BillyRay
04-Nov-2010, 06:21 PM
The hospital is just difficult. As I said in one of the other threads, to me the 28 Days Later-ish start is a weakness of TWD.

For the record,

A) the first issue of Walking Dead was "in the can" before 28 Days later was released. Kirkman had no idea that trope was going to be used,

and B) They both stole it from "Day of the Triffids".

just sayin'.

Trin
04-Nov-2010, 06:26 PM
Oh, yeah, I get all that. And I don't think it's weak because it's a rip-off. I think it's weak because it's a gimmicky, jumpstart of a storyline with questionable plausibility. I think it's very important for a show like this to establish plausibility early, and having a potential wtf moment in the opening setup is on the edge.

To contrast, I think TWD did a lot of other things to establish plausibility outside of this one bit, so I don't think the overall plausibility is really an issue.

I just tend to think of it as a 28 Days Later start because that's the only place I've actually seen it done.

BillyRay
04-Nov-2010, 06:27 PM
In all fairness, it is a cheap trick to keep the protagonist out of the action.

But then again, Kirkman isn't finished with the comic series.

It could all still be a dream.

(Or is it?)

bassman
04-Nov-2010, 07:09 PM
Since we've been keeping things fair....Romero also ripped off Matheson. :p

DubiousComforts
04-Nov-2010, 07:20 PM
Oh, yeah, I get all that. And I don't think it's weak because it's a rip-off. I think it's weak because it's a gimmicky, jumpstart of a storyline with questionable plausibility. I think it's very important for a show like this to establish plausibility early, and having a potential wtf moment in the opening setup is on the edge.

The hospital scene while great, would have been twice as effective had the audience shared the main character's disorientation, like in Day of the Triffids and 28 Days Later. But due to the opening scene with the little girl, you're already aware that Grimes will survive the scene before it's even shown. I don't think it's a problem that TWD borrows this device from Triffids; Kirkman should just admit that's where he got the idea.

Since we've been keeping things fair....Romero also ripped off Matheson. :p
At least that's what Romero admits, but I think he equally stole from Hitchcock.

Thorn
04-Nov-2010, 07:34 PM
That's what I was thinking too, from the inside. I don't see any reason someone would throw a grenade or fire artillery at a floor four stories up.

Remember all the wiring coming down from the ceiling as well? Perhaps it got too hot in a hallway or someone was cornered from both side of the hallway and decided to clear some space with a frag?

Now before you say he might have blown himself up too just think of the alternative of letting those things catch you. :dead:

People were hiding in the drop ceiling and walking on the support struts while holding onto the wire. The strut gave way and the fat SOB pulled the wire down with him dropping himself, a scared nurse, and a young cancer patient named Molly into the hungry and gaping maws of the recently undead.

sandrock74
04-Nov-2010, 08:01 PM
I figured that the holes blown into the buildings may have been due to gas leaks going unchecked. It's even possible that someone shot as a gas line and caused a much more powerful explosion than anticipated. Like everyone says, it's fun to speculate!

darth los
04-Nov-2010, 08:02 PM
People were hiding in the drop ceiling and walking on the support struts while holding onto the wire. The strut gave way and the fat SOB pulled the wire down with him dropping himself, a scared nurse, and a young cancer patient named Molly into the hungry and gaping maws of the recently undead.

Well, I say all this as someone who has not had the benefit of first reading the comic so thanks for the insight.

sandrock74
04-Nov-2010, 08:07 PM
Well, I say all this as someone who has not had the benefit of first reading the comic so thanks for the insight.

That didn't happen in the comic, he just made that up! LOL

darth los
04-Nov-2010, 08:13 PM
Well that proves i didn't read the comic then.

childofgilead
04-Nov-2010, 08:24 PM
What I'd really like to know is how long somebody could reasonably be expected to survive on only an IV drip. That alone could give us an out of world explanation for how long Rick was left alone. Personally, I'd like to think that somebody was keeping watch and was forced to leave/evacuated no more than a week before he wakes up. Though that also begs the question of his wound either being healed or still open/stitched together, making the bandage necessary, as the bandage itself didn't look too nasty or old.

Trin
04-Nov-2010, 08:25 PM
I figured that the holes blown into the buildings may have been due to gas leaks going unchecked. It's even possible that someone shot as a gas line and caused a much more powerful explosion than anticipated. Like everyone says, it's fun to speculate!Or an oxygen line since those run to every room.

BillyRay
04-Nov-2010, 08:33 PM
Or an oxygen line since those run to every room.

Or a superhero battle. :nana:

DubiousComforts
04-Nov-2010, 09:22 PM
Or a superhero battle. :nana:
Why would superheroes be battling? Aren't they usually all on the same side?

BillyRay
04-Nov-2010, 09:39 PM
Why would superheroes be battling? Aren't they usually all on the same side?

They spend a lot of time beating each other up over simple misunderstandings - have you read NO marvel comics, Dube?

DubiousComforts
04-Nov-2010, 09:42 PM
have you read NO marvel comics, Dube?

I think perhaps you've mixed up the superheroes and the Marvel writers.

kidgloves
04-Nov-2010, 10:16 PM
I'm sure Shanes 1st line to Rick during the fuzzy coma sequence is "were still hanging in there". This could mean the shit was already hitting the fan at that point and maybe Shane, the police and army were all protecting the hospital but it just got too rough and they had to abandon everything. The gates to the hospital where the bodies are were blown open as well so someone certainly left in a hurry. The whole scene smells of panicked evac.

Gemini
04-Nov-2010, 11:52 PM
Great feedback. What about the pitch black stairwell - should he have been shocked by a zombie or was it more effective for him not to have encountered anything?

Wyldwraith
04-Nov-2010, 11:54 PM
I have another theory about the gurney-barricade in front of Rick's door on the inside.
What if that Gurney was intended to be as much obstruction to his getting out if he reanimated as it was protection against zombies getting at him from the outside? If nurses/orderlies did that in the rooms of all the "questionable" (Ie: Patients who may yet expire) patients, then it could explain why the hospital is not overrun with zombies as the recently awakened Rick makes his way through it to the outside.

Think about it, we know they were sealing up zombies behind at least one impromptu barricade, why not a simpler version for individual patients? After all, a zombie may jiggle a doorknob, but without direct sight of a human to pursue, how likely is a recently reanimated zombie inside a hospital room to dislodge a gurney in front of the door, THEN get the door open, when there's nothing to stimulate them in the hallway, no sounds or anything?

I mean, look at how quick the zombies were at the chained door as Frank approached it. He provided stimuli, they made attempts to get out and get at him. Before he got close enough to provide that stimulation? No zombie hands protruding out through the door. See what I mean?

White_Zombie
05-Nov-2010, 12:54 AM
What surprises me, that i seen no one else pick up on is the devoured lady in the hospital when Rick wakes up and looks through the double doors. If you look closely she's wearing green, which to me symbolizes shes a nurse or doctor who was wearing scrubs. Maybe she was taking care of Rick, until recently being attacked by walkers. She doesn't look like shes been dead for too long. Maybe that's why she hasn't re-animated.

MoonSylver
05-Nov-2010, 01:19 AM
What surprises me, that i seen no one else pick up on is the devoured lady in the hospital when Rick wakes up and looks through the double doors. If you look closely she's wearing green, which to me symbolizes shes a nurse or doctor who was wearing scrubs. Maybe she was taking care of Rick, until recently being attacked by walkers. She doesn't look like shes been dead for too long. Maybe that's why she hasn't re-animated.

Mmm good point. Welcome aboard BTW. :)

Gryphon
05-Nov-2010, 03:06 AM
Mmm good point. Welcome aboard BTW. :)

Very good point, and Hi! I'm new too :P

DubiousComforts
05-Nov-2010, 04:31 AM

Question for Prof. -- The vehicles and tents behind the second building seemed to be in order. Outside of the burn marks around the holes in the building, there is no indication that a battle took place. How do you explain what transpired there? What would leave so much equipment abandoned?

She doesn't look like shes been dead for too long. Maybe that's why she hasn't re-animated.
The corpse looked much too damaged and picked over to reanimate, even with the head intact.

White_Zombie
05-Nov-2010, 05:01 AM
Question for Prof. -- The vehicles and tents behind the second building seemed to be in order. Outside of the burn marks around the holes in the building, there is no indication that a battle took place. How do you explain what transpired there? What would leave so much equipment abandoned?

The corpse looked much too damaged and picked over to reanimate, even with the head intact.

What about "bicycle girl zombie" she was pretty messed up as well, the only debate to that is if she sustained her injuries after or before being turned.

ProfessorChaos
05-Nov-2010, 05:03 AM
well, off the top of my head, i'm going to say all hell broke loose and they decided in order to save as many as possible in the most expedient manner, they did evac by chopper for all non-infected personnel, and with a large # of troops deserting, wounded, infected, or killed, they had too much equipment to move and not enough manpower to move it.

just a hunch.

Gemini
05-Nov-2010, 09:31 AM
Back to the corpse in the hallway, it looked like it had been dead for some time imo, no head wound and yet no reanimation. Is this another Dr. Logan moment? Maybe it recieved head trauma simply by hitting the floor or had the other side of its head blown out.

Also, for this plague to overrun us, the dead would have to turn almost immediately upon death, otherwise the spread could become manageable.

MoonSylver
05-Nov-2010, 10:24 AM
Very good point, and Hi! I'm new too :P

Welcome! :)

Also, for this plague to overrun us, the dead would have to turn almost immediately upon death, otherwise the spread could become manageable.

Or a whole bunch just "get up & kill" all at once, a la NOTLD. There is no "patient zero" per se who spreads anything to anybody (presumably like in Dawn '04 :rolleyes: ). Every unburied body just suddenly rises, gets up, goes out for a stroll, & a bite to eat...;)

Trencher
05-Nov-2010, 10:59 AM
Maybe the reason Grimes is left alone is because someone said they were going to pick him up but decided to hang out with Grimes hot wife instead? I always thought that ever since I read the comic.

bassman
05-Nov-2010, 12:04 PM
Maybe the reason Grimes is left alone is because someone said they were going to pick him up but decided to hang out with Grimes hot wife instead? I always thought that ever since I read the comic.

That's an interesting thought. Maybe Shane was actually hanging in with Rick for quite some time, realized the shit was hitting the fan, told Rick 'good luck", and then told Lori that he didn't make it? I could see something like that playing out in later episodes...

Gemini
05-Nov-2010, 12:36 PM
There is no "patient zero" per se who spreads anything to anybody (presumably like in Dawn '04 :rolleyes: ). Every unburied body just suddenly rises, gets up, goes out for a stroll, & a bite to eat...;)

What in Dawn '04 eluded to a 'patient zero'? I guess I missed that.

Wyldwraith
05-Nov-2010, 01:05 PM
The early radio report the nurse turned off after only a few seconds in her car.
What little there was indicated isolated cases of the infection. Of course, that doesn't PROVE anything, it could've just been early in the phenomena, but based on the fact that in Dawn '04 non-bitten dead folks STAY DEAD, they were committed to a strong Pathogen-Spread-By-Bite Causation Theory.

MoonSylver
05-Nov-2010, 01:32 PM
What in Dawn '04 eluded to a 'patient zero'? I guess I missed that.

The early radio report the nurse turned off after only a few seconds in her car.
What little there was indicated isolated cases of the infection. Of course, that doesn't PROVE anything, it could've just been early in the phenomena, but based on the fact that in Dawn '04 non-bitten dead folks STAY DEAD, they were committed to a strong Pathogen-Spread-By-Bite Causation Theory.

See above. They didn't, but if it's only spread by bites, it had to start somewhere... (*cringes at the thought this could turn into a D'04 thread*)

I guess the point I was trying to make was if all the dead suddenly got up at once, & if you die for ANY reason you get up & walk, I can see police, military, etc getting overwhelmed more easily than in a "spread the contagion" scenario (easpecially if they're shamblers & not runners...) :)

bassman
05-Nov-2010, 01:52 PM
they were committed to a strong Pathogen-Spread-By-Bite Causation Theory.

I don't have a link at hand, but I seem to remember Snyder saying it WASN'T a virus or pathogen, but instead something unexplainable? I believe he actually referred to it as being similar to vampire bites.:|

EDIT:
Found this on wikipedia..

On the back of the DVD cover, a brief summary states that a virus turned the humans into zombies but Snyder denies that and says that the zombie bite is supernatural like a vampire bite

Not a direct quote, but at least it proves i'm not losing it. :D

Kinda silly, if you ask me. Sounds like Snyder's just desperately trying to seperate his velociraptors from the rage victims....

MoonSylver
05-Nov-2010, 02:10 PM
So...it's spread by bites, but it's NOT a virus, but something supernatural, but it's ONLY spread by bites, there's no supernatural "the dead returning to life", because I suppose that would be silly...? Ugh...

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/3934yu85yu4.gif

http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk306/MERC_Grey-Wolf/Forum%20Images/FacePunch.jpg

(*stands on brakes, wrenches desperately at wheel, tries to steer thread from D'04*) :lol:

Trin
05-Nov-2010, 05:09 PM
Well, let's remember that Snyder gave us zombie baby and a bunch of people who choose to leave a well defended mall with absolutely no good reason except to advance the explosions to the next level from their A-Team-esque mall busses. How surprised should we be that he barely understands the phenomenon that is the crux of his movie?

bassman
05-Nov-2010, 05:19 PM
Well, let's remember that Snyder gave us zombie baby and a bunch of people who choose to leave a well defended mall with absolutely no good reason except to advance the explosions to the next level from their A-Team-esque mall busses. How surprised should we be that he barely understands the phenomenon that is the crux of his movie?

Which is all the more reason i'm worried about him helming Superman.:(

Mike70
05-Nov-2010, 05:29 PM
So...it's spread by bites, but it's NOT a virus, but something supernatural, but it's ONLY spread by bites, there's no supernatural "the dead returning to life", because I suppose that would be silly...? Ugh...

here, let me work this out on my little fingers...bites...supernatural...only by bites...not supernatural...helming superman...explosions...a-team van...returning to life...not virus...

yeah, that makes no fooking sense at all.:D

to delve back into this well swum pond again: since it is spread by bites, causes an infection, spreads throughout the body from the bite source, and eventually kills the victim...yeah, that sounds an awful lot like a virus/bacteria.

addressing the reason as to why all dead folks (in some canons) rise from the dead, even though they have not been bitten, is a bit more problematic.

i think the short answer is that there is no real right/wrong answer because this stuff was being made up off the cuff without any real thought to rules, future stories, or poor fools like us on the intrawebz who have spent about 10 years trying to hash this out.

MoonSylver
05-Nov-2010, 06:12 PM
(*stands on brakes, wrenches desperately at wheel, tries to steer thread from D'04*) :lol:

http://www.ineedtostopsoon.com/wp-content/uploads/ineedtostopsoon.com/blog_images/images/11_14_05/ThelmaLouise2.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

here, let me work this out on my little fingers...bites...supernatural...only by bites...not supernatural...helming superman...explosions...a-team van...returning to life...not virus...

yeah, that makes no fooking sense at all.:D

to delve back into this well swum pond again: since it is spread by bites, causes an infection, spreads throughout the body from the bite source, and eventually kills the victim...yeah, that sounds an awful lot like a virus/bacteria.

addressing the reason as to why all dead folks (in some canons) rise from the dead, even though they have not been bitten, is a bit more problematic.

i think the short answer is that there is no real right/wrong answer because this stuff was being made up off the cuff without any real thought to rules, future stories, or poor fools like us on the intrawebz who have spent about 10 years trying to hash this out.

Yeah, you're right. And honestly, I LIKE my "all the dead guys just get back up" mysterious. Makes it creepier & leaves room for interpretation IMO.

bassman
05-Nov-2010, 06:31 PM
:lol: That Thelma and Louise picture has had me laughing on and off for about ten minutes. Good stuff. I'll have to remember that one.

Mike70
05-Nov-2010, 06:32 PM
http://www.ineedtostopsoon.com/wp-content/uploads/ineedtostopsoon.com/blog_images/images/11_14_05/ThelmaLouise2.jpg

in the words of MST3K:

"it's time for action tv music!"

childofgilead
05-Nov-2010, 06:46 PM
I still can't help wondering if the first gunner in the Judge, (dude with the denim shirt) was bitten, as he had a random yellow bandana or handkerchief wrapped around his left wrist.

MoonSylver
05-Nov-2010, 06:55 PM
:lol: That Thelma and Louise picture has had me laughing on and off for about ten minutes. Good stuff. I'll have to remember that one.

:D

in the words of MST3K:

"it's time for action tv music!"

:lol:

Believe it or not, I was looking for an animated gif of one of those old-time "car over cliff" shots, & that was the best I could do on short time. :)

darth los
05-Nov-2010, 08:25 PM
That's an interesting thought. Maybe Shane was actually hanging in with Rick for quite some time, realized the shit was hitting the fan, told Rick 'good luck", and then told Lori that he didn't make it? I could see something like that playing out in later episodes...

First order of business:

Rick needs to put a bullet in that guy.

That is all.

Mitchified
05-Nov-2010, 09:06 PM
First order of business:

Rick needs to put a bullet in that guy.

That is all.

Rick needs to figure out exactly where his own bullet hole is before he attempts to put one in someone else. I'm not sure how his wound moved between when he was shot and when he woke up in the hospital, but I'm pretty sure that it involved some sort of black magic. If he doesn't learn how that happened, he might shoot Shane in the head only for his own pancreas to explode.

kidgloves
05-Nov-2010, 09:11 PM
I still can't help wondering if the first gunner in the Judge, (dude with the denim shirt) was bitten, as he had a random yellow bandana or handkerchief wrapped around his left wrist.

I've seen the pilot a few times now and i gotta say that doesn't really stand out to me. In fact i haven't really noticed it when looking for it.

childofgilead
05-Nov-2010, 10:03 PM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1117/5149173771_7eb721064b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gileadexile/5149173771/) kerchief2 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gileadexile/5149173771/) by gileadexile (http://www.flickr.com/people/gileadexile/), on Flickr

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1352/5149780106_501c5907e0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gileadexile/5149780106/) kerchief (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gileadexile/5149780106/) by gileadexile (http://www.flickr.com/people/gileadexile/), on Flickr

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1057/5149780148_bf9a61a1fe.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gileadexile/5149780148/) kerchief3 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gileadexile/5149780148/) by gileadexile (http://www.flickr.com/people/gileadexile/), on Flickr

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4127/5149780174_9fbd3d2b7a.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gileadexile/5149780174/) kerchief4 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/gileadexile/5149780174/) by gileadexile (http://www.flickr.com/people/gileadexile/), on Flickr

Gryphon
06-Nov-2010, 08:45 AM
Rick needs to figure out exactly where his own bullet hole is before he attempts to put one in someone else. I'm not sure how his wound moved between when he was shot and when he woke up in the hospital, but I'm pretty sure that it involved some sort of black magic. If he doesn't learn how that happened, he might shoot Shane in the head only for his own pancreas to explode.

Heh heh... it's always the pancreas. :p

MoonSylver
06-Nov-2010, 01:49 PM
Heh heh... it's always the pancreas. :p

Or the spleen. "Ohhh! My SPLEEN!!!!!!!" :lol:

Yojimbo
06-Nov-2010, 06:54 PM
I know it's off topic, but I just wanted to say that Snyder is a hack and a major puto who makes me appreciate GAR and Daramont all the more. He is not fit to smell my shit.

Angry rant over- now I feel better!

kidgloves
06-Nov-2010, 08:44 PM
I know it's off topic, but I just wanted to say that Snyder is a hack and a major puto who makes me appreciate GAR and Daramont all the more. He is not fit to smell my shit.

You know what? I think i agree with you Yojimbo. I like Dawn 04 but haven't it revisited many times. Its zombie fluff but TWD i have seen countless times. Maybe its knowing theres more coming

bassman
06-Nov-2010, 08:51 PM
Watchmen I enjoy, but the rest of his films can fuck off. Hopefully Nolan will steer him in the proper direction for Superman....

childofgilead
06-Nov-2010, 10:43 PM
Watchmen I enjoy, but the rest of his films can fuck off. Hopefully Nolan will steer him in the proper direction for Superman....

Sad thing is, if Chris Nolan has to keep the reins on him, maybe he shouldn't have gotten the job.
:shifty:

Debbieangel
06-Nov-2010, 10:57 PM

woah jimbo what brought that rant on? watching dawn04 again? jk...lol
like I have said before I would totally have done that movie different.
I don't blame you for ranting.
Hey, how are you btw?
I am sooo enjoying watching TWD over and over again, I can't wait til tomorrow night? I get all giddy just thinking about it.

bassman
06-Nov-2010, 11:17 PM
maybe he shouldn't have gotten the job.
:shifty:

It's been rumored that he got the job because he can rush things through production. They have to have the next Superman out before 2013 or they lose the rights. Not a good sign, but like I said....fingers crossed Nolan has a handle on it.

sandrock74
07-Nov-2010, 04:37 AM
It's been rumored that he got the job because he can rush things through production. They have to have the next Superman out before 2013 or they lose the rights. Not a good sign, but like I said....fingers crossed Nolan has a handle on it.

If DC Comics looses the rights to the character of Superman, that will be a BIG DEAL throughout the comics, animation, and movies world. Screw the estates of the deceased creators. Bah!

Gryphon
07-Nov-2010, 06:56 PM
If DC Comics looses the rights to the character of Superman, that will be a BIG DEAL throughout the comics, animation, and movies world. Screw the estates of the deceased creators. Bah!

Okay, did Bassman mean DC Comics would lose the rights, or the movie company would lose the rights? :confused::shifty:

bassman
07-Nov-2010, 10:06 PM
Okay, did Bassman mean DC Comics would lose the rights, or the movie company would lose the rights? :confused::shifty:

I meant the studio. Warner Brothers.

sandrock74
07-Nov-2010, 10:22 PM
The studio, Warner Brothers, is the owner of DC Comics. The loss of the character of Superman would be a loss to both.

bassman
07-Nov-2010, 10:26 PM
The studio, Warner Brothers, is the owner of DC Comics. The loss of the character of Superman would be a loss to both.

Eh? I don't think that's true. They own the rights to most of DC's characters for film adaptations, but they don't own DC comics...

EDIT:

Did a quick search and I stand corrected. DC and WB are both owned by Time Warner.

Gryphon
08-Nov-2010, 07:48 PM
Eh? I don't think that's true. They own the rights to most of DC's characters for film adaptations, but they don't own DC comics...

EDIT:

Did a quick search and I stand corrected. DC and WB are both owned by Time Warner.

So, why would they lose the rights? Is it an age thing, like Night of the Living Dead? Gets too old and becomes public domain?

BillyRay
08-Nov-2010, 08:03 PM
I think a lot of this has to do with specific licensing of the characters.

If there's a production company - hired by WB but not OF WB - creating a Batman cartoon series, there's little chance of seeing Batman in another cartoon series (at least something that isn't done "In-house')

I think that's why certain characters don't make it to certain cartoons (Black Manta in JLU), or why you haven't seen Bruce Wayne on Smallville.

I'm no expert, but I think there's layers of Lawyer-ese involved.

MoonSylver
08-Nov-2010, 10:47 PM
I'm no expert, but I think there's layers of Lawyer-ese involved.

Yup a force so mighty not even the worlds mightiest super hero can overcome them.

http://thegauntlet.ca/imgcache/250__~gauntlet_eg_eg2_20080403_superman.jpg

:D

Trin
12-Nov-2010, 02:14 PM
You know, regarding the gurney, I was watching the first episode again and I think that the gurney was accidentally left in front of his door during the mayhem and that kept them from noticing him while evacuating the others, as well as kept the zombies from finding him. I know Wyld posted a while back that the gurney was pushed in front of the door to protect the rest of the hospital from him in case he turned. I watched it again and I couldn't quite picture that. It appeared to be there rather haphazardly. But given how it was blocking the door I can see everyone, humans and zombies alike, overlooking that room.

AcesandEights
12-Nov-2010, 02:23 PM
You're right, Trin. No...human being...would ever place a gurney like that.

I think it's a maybe either way, but placing the gurney in front on the way out is plausible if they had to evac the hospital quickly.

BillyRay
12-Nov-2010, 02:32 PM
B-b-but they didn't cover the gurney with zombie guts...

THEY WOULD HAVE SMELLED HIM!!!

Mitchified
12-Nov-2010, 02:35 PM

THEY WOULD HAVE SMELLED HIM!!!

He was unconscious for quite some time. I'm sure that there were zombie guts all over it at first, but after the undead were contained a thunderstorm formed in the hospital hallway to wash it away. After all, if we learned anything from the second episode it's that rain washes away every trace of zombie guts. These are the laws of the Kirkman universe!

Trin
12-Nov-2010, 02:50 PM

THEY WOULD HAVE SMELLED HIM!!!Maybe they sense mental activity. He was pretty much a zombie in that bed.

"No human being would ever place a gurney like that." Bravo Aces!! Well done!!

sandrock74
12-Nov-2010, 04:33 PM

HA! Good reference!

bassman
12-Nov-2010, 04:45 PM

I fucking love you. :lol:

darth los
12-Nov-2010, 05:53 PM
You know, regarding the gurney, I was watching the first episode again and I think that the gurney was accidentally left in front of his door during the mayhem and that kept them from noticing him while evacuating the others, as well as kept the zombies from finding him. I know Wyld posted a while back that the gurney was pushed in front of the door to protect the rest of the hospital from him in case he turned. I watched it again and I couldn't quite picture that. It appeared to be there rather haphazardly. But given how it was blocking the door I can see everyone, humans and zombies alike, overlooking that room.

Alright, alright. Enough trin bashing. (That was a good line though aces).

Sure a person might have left it there, or, it could have been just blind luck like the bottom hatch of the tank. I agree with trin. I think it was just randomly there. Now that's no to say that's not what kept the zombies out, but a person wanting to keep him safe would almost certainly place something more substantial in front of the door, no?

And if it was a flight scenario where there was no time why even bother to waste precious seconds on a token gesture that wouldn't keep the walkers out anyway? That doesn't make sense.

Now, we do have a similar scenario in the very next episode. When the are all going down to meet the truck and the black guy drops the key to the racist's handcuff's he did something similar for him that someone possibly did for rick. But did he put a flimsy garbage bag in front of the door? No, he actually LOCKED it. Now there's an idea huh?

@ trin. That doesn't make sense either (protecting everyone from him in case he turned) Because he wasn't bit and the people caring for him had to know that.

Now, I have been segregated from the comic as well as upcoming episodes so it might be known to you all but unless we're dealing with Romero rules here where everyone who dies comes back, Where bites just don't kill you, they bring you back faster, then that line of logic doesn't make much sense.

This is unless of course it's so early in the plauge that it's not known for sure either way so better safe than sorry.

Gryphon
12-Nov-2010, 09:26 PM

I knew the Ghostbusters were lurking here..... :elol:

Ghoulman
13-Nov-2010, 12:36 PM

I think it's a maybe either way, but placing the gurney in front on the way out is plausible if they had to evac the hospital quickly.

I don't know man... Rick probably smelled pretty ripe after a few weeks! Seriously, to me, the gurney in front of the door felt kinda like T-Dog locking the roof door... Kind of a half-assed "There's nothing I can do to help this poor sap in the coma but I'll push this gurney in front of the door before I run for my life." attempt at doing...SOMETHING.

Trin
13-Nov-2010, 10:30 PM
Alright, alright. Enough trin bashing. (That was a good line though aces).That wasn't trin-bashing. That was pure awesomeness. Or if it was trin-bashing then I gladly submit.

I still think he was an oversight in the room. And the zombies coulda easily moved the gurney aside if they'd wanted to. It wasn't stopping anybody.

But there is a good point in all this. How did the zombies not smell him? I think the answer is that the zombies just really don't smell people that well. Yes, they said so in the department store. But I don't think the department store assertion that the zombies smell people means that they smell them from any great distance, or within buildings, etc. All the evidence suggests the opposite. Rick was standing at the door of Morgan's place looking out through the peephole and Morgan's dead wife didn't seem to recognize his presence inside. I think that walking amongst them they sense fear or they note anxious movements, etc. and that may combine with the smell, but it's not like the zombies have shown any heat-seeking capability.

MoonSylver
13-Nov-2010, 11:05 PM

I fucking love you. :lol:

http://stuff.pyzam.com/funnypics/a/pyzamlove.jpg

:lol:

I knew the Ghostbusters were lurking here..... :elol:

At Homepage of the BaconGhostBusters? Why would you think that? :D

babomb
14-Nov-2010, 06:34 PM
I really don't think they reduced it all to such a science when building the sets.
They probly went on the idea that a hospital would end up filled with walkers by the time the staff decided to flee, authorities would be trying to hold it all together.
There'd probly be hot water heaters and gas tanks exploding within the hospital for many reasons, fires breaking out from various events.
But I really don't think they recreated sets based on such specifics as what the damage from a 40mm grenade launcher would really look like.
This show would never make it out of production if they tried to do it so accurately.
So although it is interesting to speculate on things, there are really no answers to such specifics.

But there is a good point in all this. How did the zombies not smell him? I think the answer is that the zombies just really don't smell people that well.
I wouldn't imagine that turning into a zombie endows you with sensory abilities that humans don't otherwise possess.
I'd think it would be the opposite actually.
Within that hospital scenario there would be such overwhelming stimuli coming from everywhere else that zombies would probly not ever even know that Rick was in that room.
He was also in a coma, so his body temp was lower, he wasn't really moving at all and not making any noise.
That's not to say that I see that as a plausible scenario though really.
Even when I first read the comic I didn't think Rick being in that room in a coma would've afforded him such luck.
But I can suspend disbelief for such an excellent storyline on one of my favorite subjects.

Trin
14-Nov-2010, 11:44 PM
So although it is interesting to speculate on things, there are really no answers to such specifics.
We, yeah, pretty much know that. But we still love to do it. :)