PDA

View Full Version : ***Spoilers*** Lay Your Odds on how/if Darabont will change this part ***Spoilers***

AcesandEights
08-Nov-2010, 02:34 PM
I can't emphasize enough that the discussion below is only for people who either want a certain part of the story arc spoiled (past the, now current, 2nd episode), or have already read a good portion of the first few issues of the comic.

***SPOILERS BELOW**** ***SPOILERS BELOW**** ***SPOILERS BELOW****

That said...

Do you guys think the show will stay on course for the shooting of Shane by Carl? I am starting to wonder if they will keep Shane around past season 1 for the sake of suspense and/or possibly even sub the shooting of one of the Dixon brothers by Carl instead.

How do you guys think this will play out?

Mitchified
08-Nov-2010, 02:46 PM
I think that will eventually happen because it's such an iconic part of the storyline, but not for quite a while. My gut feeling is that the Dixon brothers were introduced as the main antagonists amongst the group to begin with so that Shane's role could be expanded and become a more long term investment for the series. During the Comic Con panel Darabont (I believe it was Darabont) mentioned that he loved how Rick and Shane interacted and that they wanted to keep Shane around for as long as they could. Since the television storyline is diverting from the comic book storyline I can see Shane lasting for quite a while.

When he does get the axe, though, Carl will definitely still be the one to do it.

Where I think the storyline will play out completely differently is the ending of the prison storyline. Lori and the baby might still die, but I don't think it will be at the hands of Random Henchman #5 (people sometimes forget that it wasn't the Governor that actually pulled the trigger). I also think that Rick won't lose his hand as Kirkman has stated in the past that he regrets having that happen.

kidgloves
08-Nov-2010, 02:54 PM
I also think that Rick won't lose his hand as Kirkman has stated in the past that he regrets having that happen.

Anyone else notice the nod to this after Rick hit Merle? He was holding his hand and shaking. A bit of foreshadowing maybe? He fucks his hand up good and proper before he loses it in the book remember.

Mitchified
08-Nov-2010, 03:03 PM
I did notice that. I'm glad that they decided to do that, in fact. To me, it would be a much more interesting storyline if the hand is screwed up but still usable. Cutting off the hand makes some things simply impossible for him to do as opposed to the dramatic "Does he have enough strength to climb up on top of that?" thing.

shootemindehead
08-Nov-2010, 03:42 PM
After viewing the un-necessary changes to the comic so far, I reckon that the TV version is going to end up NOTHING like the source material at all. So anybody's guess is a good one.

I honestly down know why the messing with it. The comic storyline is really all they need.

BillyRay
08-Nov-2010, 03:54 PM
I honestly down know why the messing with it. The comic storyline is really all they need.

Perhaps, but we get a longer TV series this way...

kidgloves
08-Nov-2010, 04:49 PM
After viewing the un-necessary changes to the comic so far, I reckon that the TV version is going to end up NOTHING like the source material at all. So anybody's guess is a good one.

What? You can't be serious? Have a tv show where everybody whose read the comics knows what's going to happen. no thanks.

Debbieangel
08-Nov-2010, 09:22 PM
I haven't read the comic book stories so, I don't know. But, in other movies or mini series etc....Hollywood has always taken dramatic license to make it more dramatic or make whatever is needed to make it tell the story better. I hope that makes sense?
So, my guess it wont go verbatim to the comic books.
I saw in interviews with Kirkman that Darabont would share his vision to Kirkman's storys and make it a bit different and Kirkman replied " I wish I would have written that into my story." Cause he like the way Darabont was seeing it. Again I hope this all makes sense? lol

Danny
09-Nov-2010, 12:41 AM
What? You can't be serious? Have a tv show where everybody whose read the comics knows what's going to happen. no thanks.

Traditionally in the industry we call those adaptations. Spoiler, harry will beat voldemort in the final movie as well as he did in the book.

as for the original topic, given the so-so mixed vibe im getting i hope not, but wouldnt be surprised if the shane getting shot finale of vol. 1 IS the final of the season and they will just mix vol and 2 together but keep shane alive a little longer so his going crazy is more justified. Honestly though all these new, unnecessary characters hint at a very stretched out reworking of the early stories and we either will not see the proper plot progression with michonne and tyreese and the like appearing or they simply wont appear at all. which will probably prompt me to drop the show since i'm watching to see kirkmans story come to life, not darabonts take on it. Not that his take is bad, its just not what i want.

Sammich
09-Nov-2010, 03:07 AM
Here is probably what will happen:

Shane and Rick get into the fight. The noise attracts zombies. Zombies attack Rick and Shane. Carl shows up and has to decide who to save. Carl shoots the zombie on Rick. Rick gets knocked out when he hits his head after the shot zombie falls on him. Shane manages to use a rock to smash the head of the zombie on him but he gets bit real good. Shane begs Carl to shoot him and he does. Lots of crying and hugging follows.

Philly_SWAT
09-Nov-2010, 02:07 PM

Well, I am surprised that they felt the need to have more-than-incredibly-minor changes already, episode 2. One of the good things about comics/graphic novels is that the built-in fan base WANTS to see more or less what was in the source material, and the very nature of the medium has ready made story boards. The Watchmen movie has a couple of significant changes...but most of the movie, including SPECIFIC SHOTS were straight out of the original pages, and I think most fans really liked the movie.

To address the initial query, I would tend to think that since such changes have been made already that they probably WONT have Carl do the deed (if the deed even happens). That would be way out of the norm for TV (child killing in cold blood), which is what I was looking forward to, but I guess we will all have to wait and see.

AcesandEights
09-Nov-2010, 02:20 PM
Here is probably what will happen:

Shane and Rick get into the fight. The noise attracts zombies. Zombies attack Rick and Shane. Carl shows up and has to decide who to save. Carl shoots the zombie on Rick. Rick gets knocked out when he hits his head after the shot zombie falls on him. Shane manages to use a rock to smash the head of the zombie on him but he gets bit real good. Shane begs Carl to shoot him and he does. Lots of crying and hugging follows.

Sammich, I have to hand it to you, that is a very specific prediction. I'll keep my eyes out for it or pieces of it. ;)