PDA

View Full Version : Favorite "Nightmare"?

acealive1
14-Nov-2010, 02:23 PM
which is your favorite movie from the series?

Mike70
14-Nov-2010, 03:43 PM
easy choice.

MoonSylver
14-Nov-2010, 03:48 PM
Easy like Sunday morning. Other favorites include 3, a newfound appreciation for 2, at least the opening of 4, & FvJ. :)

deadpunk
14-Nov-2010, 03:57 PM
Yeah...this one is pretty much a no-brainer. Just how I likes 'em ;)

JDFP
14-Nov-2010, 04:09 PM
It is an easy choice -- "A New Nightmare".

The rest of the films are silly comedy/horror films except for really the first one. While they are more comedy/horror than horror films they are still quite a bit of fun though! My favorite from the regular series would have to be "The Dream Warriors" (c'mon, any film with a soundtrack from DOKKEN kicks ASS!!!). But, you can't take any of them too seriously.

I liked "A New Nightmare" because it actually attempted to be a real, aw shucks, honest to goodness horror film. It was also a fairly original idea (this was pre-"Scream") about using real people to play themselves in the film confronted by horror, which I think played out really well. It was a fantastic and very creative concept at the time which worked very well -- now we're all too jaded and cynical to appreciate this type of thing as it's all been done.

j.p.

acealive1
14-Nov-2010, 04:55 PM
It is an easy choice -- "A New Nightmare".

The rest of the films are silly comedy/horror films except for really the first one. While they are more comedy/horror than horror films they are still quite a bit of fun though! My favorite from the regular series would have to be "The Dream Warriors" (c'mon, any film with a soundtrack from DOKKEN kicks ASS!!!). But, you can't take any of them too seriously.

I liked "A New Nightmare" because it actually attempted to be a real, aw shucks, honest to goodness horror film. It was also a fairly original idea (this was pre-"Scream") about using real people to play themselves in the film confronted by horror, which I think played out really well. It was a fantastic and very creative concept at the time which worked very well -- now we're all too jaded and cynical to appreciate this type of thing as it's all been done.

j.p.

if it had a different not so made for tv feel, it woulda been scary as shit.

deadpunk
14-Nov-2010, 04:59 PM
if it had a different not so made for tv feel, it woulda been scary as shit.

I agree. It was a solid idea that was less-than-adequately visualized. It came off as campy in a bad way.

acealive1
14-Nov-2010, 05:04 PM
I agree. It was a solid idea that was less-than-adequately visualized. It came off as campy in a bad way.

the music didnt help either LOL

Legion2213
14-Nov-2010, 05:07 PM
Dear God...how many are there? I think I've only ever watched the first two! :D

I like the one when the girl is asleep and Freddy sort of comes through the wall, that's neat.

acealive1
14-Nov-2010, 05:19 PM
Dear God...how many are there? I think I've only ever watched the first two! :D

I like the one when the girl is asleep and Freddy sort of comes through the wall, that's neat.

the wall? hmm.....can u remember which one? honestly, that bastard broke through alot of walls/doors, etc etc etc etc etc etc etc btw, theres 8 of em.......

Legion2213
14-Nov-2010, 05:26 PM
Ace, he didn't actually break through, the wall took on a rubber effect and started stretching with a big freddy shape over some girls bed. It was pretty cool.

God Damn....Eight Freddy movies...I still can't quite get over that!

acealive1
14-Nov-2010, 07:49 PM
Ace, he didn't actually break through, the wall took on a rubber effect and started stretching with a big freddy shape over some girls bed. It was pretty cool.

ahh ok yea, they did some practical stuff in that movie and made it look GREAT. who woulda known u could do so much with latex rubber in 8 movies

slickwilly13
14-Nov-2010, 08:22 PM

It is the first movie. You are refering to the scene with Nancy in bed, asleep. Freddy stretches over her.

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2010, 02:12 PM
Without a doubt, the first one.

All the other movies made Freddy seem like a third degree burn victim trying to be a comedian. Didn't work, wasn't scary, epic fail.

bassman
15-Nov-2010, 02:20 PM
Not really a fan of any of them. Though if I had to choose one, it would be the original for the same reasons Lou mentions above. At least they TRIED to make the first one scary. The rest were like an episode of Freakazoid.

That's right. I just compared Krueger to Freakazoid. :lol:

MoonSylver
15-Nov-2010, 04:37 PM
Without a doubt, the first one.

All the other movies made Freddy seem like a third degree burn victim trying to be a comedian. Didn't work, wasn't scary, epic fail.

Y'know, I'd had the image of "Freddy as Stand-Up" reinforced in my mind so much over the years that I was a BIT surprised in my recent rewatch of the series (1st in years) to find the humor wasn't QUITE as pronounced as I remembered. A lot of the "jokes" were actually kind of grim, sick humor (although I can think of at least one that was a total :rockbrow:).

Not to say this forgives or excuses. Or elevates. The first is 99% dead serious ("I'm your boyfriend now, Nancy" is the only "laugh" I can think of, & even that one is pretty sick.) It's creepy & twisted, & the paces Kruger put those kids through seems to genually be the product of a sick mind working with nightmares as his palate.

Just as an aside, #2 is pretty grim & humorless as well. Nary a joke in sight IIRC. It kind of makes one uncomfortable in OTHER ways ;) :sneaky:, but I can appreciate it. It's kind of a dark & twisted piece of work.

The rest...eh...:| It gets worse as the series goes. "Giving the public what they want" I guess. Although there ARE some stand out moments even in the latter ones.("You shouldn'ta buried me...I ain't dead" is one of the creepiest, "oh fuck" lines I've ever seen in film, & Englund delivers t PERFECTLY).

LouCipherr
15-Nov-2010, 06:36 PM
A lot of the "jokes" were actually kind of grim, sick humor (although I can think of at least one that was a total :rockbrow:).

The issue I take with the "jokes" is it takes away from the scariness of it all. Instead of waiting to see how Freddy is going to creep up behind someone and slice them in two, you're waiting for the inevitable "punchline before the kill" so-to-speak.

Just as an aside, #2 is pretty grim & humorless as well. Nary a joke in sight IIRC. It kind of makes one uncomfortable in OTHER ways ;) :sneaky:, but I can appreciate it. It's kind of a dark & twisted piece of work.

Yeah, if you're into the "homo" side of freddy.. :lol: :p

The rest...eh...:| It gets worse as the series goes. "Giving the public what they want" I guess.

Perhaps - although I'm part of that "public" and that was far from what I wanted. :(

MoonSylver
15-Nov-2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah. Not saying I disagree. I do have slightly mixed feelings on the subject, as I do enjoy the latter movies to a certain extent, but yeah, for the most part I agree.

LouCipherr
16-Nov-2010, 01:25 PM
Yeah. Not saying I disagree. I do have slightly mixed feelings on the subject, as I do enjoy the latter movies to a certain extent, but yeah, for the most part I agree.

I'm just bummed what they did with the character. He has so much more potential to become such a scary figure in the horror world - and while he is regarded as one of the 'legends' - I see the character of Freddy a missed opportunity. He could've been so much more, know what i mean?

JDFP
16-Nov-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm just bummed what they did with the character. He has so much more potential to become such a scary figure in the horror world - and while he is regarded as one of the 'legends' - I see the character of Freddy a missed opportunity. He could've been so much more, know what i mean?

I thought "A New Nightmare" was their approach in attempting to do this. As in, "Hey, let's take the concept of Freddy and attempt to actually make him scary as opposed to the silly thing he is now." I thought they did a really good job myself, but I seem to be a minority here in considering "A New Nightmare" to be a good flick (I'm used to it! I liked Rob Zombie's "Halloween" and have no shame in it!) with a really unique spin on horror films and was quite creative for the time it was made.

j.p.

LouCipherr
16-Nov-2010, 05:08 PM
I thought "A New Nightmare" was their approach in attempting to do this. As in, "Hey, let's take the concept of Freddy and attempt to actually make him scary as opposed to the silly thing he is now." I thought they did a really good job myself, but I seem to be a minority here in considering "A New Nightmare" to be a good flick (I'm used to it! I liked Rob Zombie's "Halloween" and have no shame in it!) with a really unique spin on horror films and was quite creative for the time it was made.

Actually, I think A New Nightmare was better than the rest of the sequels, but the first one still reigns supreme for me. You're right though, at least they attempted to bring it back to scary - but I don't think they quite achieved it as well as the first one. It's sad it took Wes Craven to try and bring him back around. :(

Blasphemy on that RZ/Halloween comment though, JP. :lol: :D :p

JDFP
16-Nov-2010, 05:31 PM
Blasphemy on that RZ/Halloween comment though, JP. :lol: :D :p

If you hate 'blasphemy' then I probably shouldn't tell you that I liked Zombie's "Halloween 2" as well. (Now I'm looking around me to see who all are about to throw sharp objects in my direction). :)

j.p.

bassman
16-Nov-2010, 05:33 PM
Is the Nightmare remake any good? Or anywhere near RZ's Halloween(I like it too)?

JDFP
16-Nov-2010, 05:41 PM
Is the Nightmare remake any good? Or anywhere near RZ's Halloween(I like it too)?

I thought the "Nightmare" remake was equally as bad as the "Friday the 13th" remake. I thought both of them sucked a goose-egg as being worse for the stomach than eating a left-over bowl of Bert's Chili from Waffle House with a massive hang-over. The make-up in the new "Nightmare" is terrible too. Freddy's face looks like a burned cheese pizza.

On the other hand, I thought Rob Zombie's re-make of "Halloween" was exceptional and very well-done.

j.p.

darth los
16-Nov-2010, 05:57 PM
I voted part 2. It's a guilty pleasure of mine.

And I'm sure lou is gonna give me all types of shit for it though. :shifty:

I like it because it's different than the rest.

It's a statement. :D

:cool:

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

I thought the "Nightmare" remake was equally as bad as the "Friday the 13th" remake. I thought both of them sucked a goose-egg as being worse for the stomach than eating a left-over bowl of Bert's Chili from Waffle House with a massive hang-over. The make-up in the new "Nightmare" is terrible too. Freddy's face looks like a burned cheese pizza.

On the other hand, I thought Rob Zombie's re-make of "Halloween" was exceptional and very well-done.

j.p.

^^^^^

This.

LouCipherr
16-Nov-2010, 06:43 PM
If you hate 'blasphemy' then I probably shouldn't tell you that I liked Zombie's "Halloween 2" as well. (Now I'm looking around me to see who all are about to throw sharp objects in my direction). :)

OH.....MY.....GOD!

*throws sharp metal object in the direction of JP*

UNACCEPTABLE! :lol:

Dear lord NO! It's fucking horrible, bassman. Especially if you're not a fan of the original - but regardless, that's an "avoid like the plague" movie.

*throws more sharp metal objects in the direction of JP for additional blasphemy*

:lol:

darth los
16-Nov-2010, 06:54 PM
I'll sign the pro RZ Halloween petition too. :thumbsup:

Boy, They're piling up now! :lol:

LouCipherr
16-Nov-2010, 07:54 PM
I'll sign the pro RZ Halloween petition too. :thumbsup:

Boy, They're piling up now! :lol:

*picks up sharp metal objects thrown at JP and throws at los*

MikePizzoff
16-Nov-2010, 10:42 PM
I love them all (with the acception of part 2)!!! However, I really don't understand how someone could vote for Freddy VS Jason!!? That one really reminds me of Scooby Doo for some reason...

MoonSylver
16-Nov-2010, 10:47 PM
I love them all (with the acception of part 2)!!! However, I really don't understand how someone could vote for Freddy VS Jason!!? That one really reminds me of Scooby Doo for some reason...

I can see that. Never noticed before, but it's the "kids team up vs. the bad guys" I think. Except this doesn't end as well for Scoob & the gang. ;). I've come to appreciate 2 more. & I really like FvJ, all faults aside. It's 4-6 that I'm not a huge fan of. Thery're just...ugh. I dunno. Meh. :|

LouCipherr
17-Nov-2010, 01:07 PM

ruh-roh, raggy.. :lol:

Now that I think about it, it does.. all it's missing is a dick in a neckerchief. :D

bassman
17-Nov-2010, 01:27 PM
Blind is a weirdo like that. I mean c'mon....he has imaginary friends that talk through his posts. :|

blind2d
17-Nov-2010, 03:56 PM
Oh sure, pick on the fat kid... real mature, guys. I knew no one else would vote for it, so... yeah... lighten up.

bassman
17-Nov-2010, 03:59 PM
Aw, I was just kidding, Blind. We love ya. You're like HPotD's personal senile grandfather that sits in the corner talking to himself. :p

blind2d
17-Nov-2010, 04:15 PM
Ah yes, I'm looking forward to retirement... actually, I got some good practice with that in high school. Cafeterias... nerve-wracking, I tell ya.

MikePizzoff
17-Nov-2010, 04:42 PM
Oh sure, pick on the fat kid... real mature, guys.

Oh great! You brought the comb! What did you bring a comb for?! You don't even have any hair!

deadpunk
17-Nov-2010, 05:11 PM
Oh great! You brought the comb! What did you bring a comb for?! You don't even have any hair!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_t5AoiqTiUjw/SlLP5YumKFI/AAAAAAAAACM/vLKfDgDYNJY/s400/stand-by-me_l.jpg
YOU! STFU!

SymphonicX
18-Nov-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm the same as most people - Love the first movie - Freddy was menacing and creepy - one of the best lines he ever said was "I'm gonna split you in two" whilst chasing Nancy - the whole film FEELS like a dream, its dark and brooding....it has flaws but ultimately its just an enjoyable movie with a compelling bad guy.

Number 2 is really dark, another dream like exerience - and as a result my second and generally only other favourite of the series.

From number 3 onwards it goes slowly downhill - the return of Nancy for 3 is welcome and by and large the film works pretty well, but Freddy starts his journey onto corny, silly lines and death scenes and is only a step from sticking faces on pizzas...From then on it plummets so quickly downhill it becomes a blur, where one movie melts into the other and are only punctuated by the last scenes indicating Freddy's return for the next movie.

Doc
05-Apr-2011, 10:26 AM
As, a big fan of the series I enjoy most of them. I'll never forgive Freddy's Dead or FvJ though. NEVER!:mad:

My favorite would have to be New Nightmare. Like mentioned before on this thread. A original concept, imo with pretty well done execution besides, some hiccups.

I quiet enjoy some of the sequels for what they are. Cheesy rides, with great imaginative kills, and decent characters.And atleast they always attempted to have a new storyline each film then simply just Krueger killing of kids just cause. Unlike, say Friday the 13th which followed the same formula for the most part.

TheHorrorQueen
05-Apr-2011, 03:37 PM
as, a big fan of the series i enjoy most of them. I'll never forgive freddy's dead or fvj though. Never!:mad:

love!

dear lord no! It's fucking horrible, bassman. Especially if you're not a fan of the original - but regardless, that's an "avoid like the plague" movie.

love again.....

ZombieKeeper
08-Jun-2011, 07:18 PM
Nothing beats the original!

FYI - the remake was embarrassing.