PDA

View Full Version : Can we stop with the "pop-out" ads?

ProfessorChaos
15-Nov-2010, 01:22 AM
i've noticed a lot of other members echoing a statement i've made several times:

these pop-out ads are annoying as hell!

while i don't like the inclusion of ads on this site, i understand it helps bring in revenue for you guys....but is there a way that you could not include ads such as the "SUCK" and "AirEuropa" that pop-out anytime you get your cursor near them? it's a pain in the ass to have to scroll around them on every page, and even worse when you know you're not scrolling over it but you get near enough that it pops out anyway.

as i've said, i'd even be willing to pay a small yearly fee (that would be optional of course) that would prevent the ads from showing up when i'm logged in.

and truthfully, the morons who design those pop-out ads need to realize that they are doing more harm than good. i swear, i'd never watch that movie SUCK unless i was paid to do it, and i'll never fly AirEuropa in my life.

can anything be done about this? like i said, the normal ads i can easily ignore, but these pop-out ones are making cruising this site a major irritation.

thanks in advance for your consideration.

JDFP
15-Nov-2010, 01:38 AM
I agree with the good Prof. I don't mind ads, but the pop-out ones that interfere with the navigation of the web-site and open up any time that you get near them are really annoying.

The exception to this would be if these pop-out ads were for something more entertaining like Victoria's Secret models or good links to Eastern European girls that would be willing to... er, ahem... where was I again?

Oh yeah, pop-out ads, they are about as much fun as Michael Ironside being happy and enjoying himself...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3050/2654432637_5cecceb349.jpg?v=0

j.p.

deadpunk
15-Nov-2010, 03:27 AM
I've never had a problem with the ads until this recent Air Europa deal. That thing is more sensitive than my ex-wife during her womanly-monthly-bullshit-excuse-to-attack-me-over-every-little-fucking-thing-time.

MoonSylver
15-Nov-2010, 03:36 AM
I've never had a problem with the ads until this recent Air Europa deal. That thing is more sensitive than my ex-wife during her womanly-monthly-bullshit-excuse-to-attack-me-over-every-little-fucking-thing-time.

True. But at least the pop-up's you can get to shut up & go away, eventually. :lol:

Neil
15-Nov-2010, 05:50 PM
To better understand the problem, the pop up ones in question are the ones which pop up when you move your mouse over them?

Or is there another type I'm not aware of?

ProfessorChaos
15-Nov-2010, 06:02 PM
yeah, they're the ones for AirEuropa, SUCK, and a few others that i can't recall at the moment.

but it seems that even if i try to scroll around them, as soon as my cursor gets near, they pop out and then require a click to close.

as jp stated so well, they making navigating the site a pain in the ass and are highly annoying.

thanks for addressing this, neil, i appreciate it and i'm sure others do as well.

Mitchified
15-Nov-2010, 06:04 PM
Those are the ones, yes. There's a couple of them (namely Air Europa) that seem to pop out when your mouse cursor is anywhere in the general area, not just on the ad itself.

Neil
15-Nov-2010, 06:39 PM
Those are the ones, yes. There's a couple of them (namely Air Europa) that seem to pop out when your mouse cursor is anywhere in the general area, not just on the ad itself.

I had a problem with those too, and found when I moved the adverts to a middle location I didn't go over them by accident so much... Any thoughts if moving them left for example might help?

Mitchified
15-Nov-2010, 06:43 PM
You know, I hadn't thought about that, but it just might. I think one of the reasons why it's so bad is that in its current position, your cursor tends to hit the ad when you're going for the Back button or the Forum tab, and when you're going to click on the Shoutbox to type in it as well. Shifting the ad to the right might solve the problem or at least help alleviate it.

ProfessorChaos
15-Nov-2010, 06:47 PM
3 questions:

how do i move them?

any way to move them to the bottom of the page?:p

do we really need the pop-out ads? seems like there are plenty of non-popping ads that are just fine...

Neil
15-Nov-2010, 06:57 PM
You know, I hadn't thought about that, but it just might. I think one of the reasons why it's so bad is that in its current position, your cursor tends to hit the ad when you're going for the Back button or the Forum tab, and when you're going to click on the Shoutbox to type in it as well. Shifting the ad to the right might solve the problem or at least help alleviate it.

I found it popped up when it was more right on might browser, hence me moving it towards the middle of the screen... So where would you suggest would be a better location... Absolute far right? Which is where it started :)

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 PM ----------

3 questions:

how do i move them?

any way to move them to the bottom of the page?:p

do we really need the pop-out ads? seems like there are plenty of non-popping ads that are just fine...

You can't move it - I change the forum code to do this...

Bottom? - Afraid not...

Pop ups - Unfortunately I have no say in that. The advertising company agree adverts and dish them out. I just have the shop window, they decide what adverts go up in it I'm afraid...

Mitchified
15-Nov-2010, 07:04 PM
It's hard to say where exactly to put it (obvious joke aside). After sitting here moving my cursor around like an idiot for a few minutes, I'd say to at least try it on the far left. I'm mostly hitting the ad's hitbox when I'm scrolling up the page and then moving to click something, so shifting it further left might help. Sure, you'd still hit it if you're raising your cursor up the left side of the page, but at that point you're probably going for the Back button anyway so who cares if the ad pops out?

deadpunk
15-Nov-2010, 07:06 PM
Neil, are you aware the ad covers dropdown boxes? IE: when I click on NOTIFICATIONS, the ad covers my inbox link.

ProfessorChaos
15-Nov-2010, 07:10 PM
i find that no matter where the thing would be, it gets in my way anywhere along the top as i generally have a handful of tabs open at a time.

again, it's just the pop-up ones....if you could say something to the ad-providers about a "no pop-out ads" stipulation, that'd be great. i understand that your options are limited, but damn, they really do irritate the hell out of me when i'm on these boards.

darth los
15-Nov-2010, 08:47 PM
Agreed. Those things are annoying as hell man.

anything you could do to remedy that would be appreciated.

:cool:

clanglee
15-Nov-2010, 09:00 PM
these pop-out ads are annoying as hell!

. http://www.oldcrappytee.com/product_images/108d.gif

Neil
15-Nov-2010, 10:26 PM
Neil, are you aware the ad covers dropdown boxes? IE: when I click on NOTIFICATIONS, the ad covers my inbox link.

That's annoying! Don't happen in FireFox!?

The alternative is to:-
a) Move the advert to the far left. But that risks moving over when going for the "Back" icon on the browser?
b) Moving the advert above everything, but that would look aweful.

Mitchified
15-Nov-2010, 10:55 PM
Does it actually matter if it pops up when you're going for the Back button, though? I mean, if you're leaving the page anyway, who cares if it's expanded for two or three seconds?

Neil
16-Nov-2010, 11:43 AM
Does it actually matter if it pops up when you're going for the Back button, though? I mean, if you're leaving the page anyway, who cares if it's expanded for two or three seconds?

OK! It's left justified now. BTH, for those folks with smaller monitors, LEFT, RIGHT, CENTER, the advert will be pretty much in the same place!? And I suspect it is the people with smaller monitors who it causes the greatest problem too!?

bassman
16-Nov-2010, 12:19 PM
The ads aren't so bad. Not as bad as the "optional" reason for editing, anyway....

deadpunk
16-Nov-2010, 01:38 PM
OK! It's left justified now. BTH, for those folks with smaller monitors, LEFT, RIGHT, CENTER, the advert will be pretty much in the same place!? And I suspect it is the people with smaller monitors who it causes the greatest problem too!?

Yep. My laptop is a mini and if you had not mentioned the move, I wouldn't have noticed.

The adverts are so insignificant that I barely notice them, which is probably why I'm forever scrolling over the expanding ones ;) My only gripe with them has always been that my dropdown boxes go under them (this is probably also due to my screen size). However, since I'm able to access all of those features from my profile anyway, its more of a minor nuisance than an actual issue.

Wouldn't a lot of these issues be avoided by moving the Forum / Arcade / Whats New links to where the search box is, as opposed to moving the advert? I feel most users have the same issue I do: Hit the Forum link when wanting out of a thread or section and moving cursor over to the scroll bar as the page reloads. Time it wrong or go to high and BAM! you hit the advert. Perhaps if the main links were to the right (and closer to the scroll bar), so many accidental hits would be avoided?