PDA

View Full Version : 5th episode - "Wildfire"

thxleo
18-Nov-2010, 07:45 PM
One of the best episodes of the series and one of the most emotional as well. It does take a slightly awkward turn in the final segment, but it's still a great episode.
This particular episode was directed by Ernest Dickerson, who started out in his career as a second unit camera operator on Day of the Dead in 1985.

Thorn
18-Nov-2010, 08:16 PM
That is an amazing little bit of life just being funny sometimes, start on zombies and years later around to helm the efforts on a zombie project again. Love it.

kidgloves
18-Nov-2010, 08:21 PM
One of the best episodes of the series and one of the most emotional as well. It does take a slightly awkward turn in the final segment, but it's still a great episode.
This particular episode was directed by Ernest Dickerson, who started out in his career as a second unit camera operator on Day of the Dead in 1985.

Nice bit of info. Keeping it in the extended family of sorts.

kidgloves
28-Nov-2010, 10:58 AM
Looking forward again to this episode. After watching the sneak peak, it's going to be interesting to see how they handle Amys death. And Daryl pickaxing the corpses is always a bonus.

rongravy
28-Nov-2010, 04:23 PM
yay, my DISH is back so i'm on this. ready...

bassman
29-Nov-2010, 03:00 AM
Whoa. Great episode! Probably my favorite since the pilot. As Leo mentioned, the abrupt switch to the CDC toward the end was a bit jarring, but I can forgive that.

Can't wait to watch it again tomorrow after work. Sucks there's only one left....

DjfunkmasterG
29-Nov-2010, 03:05 AM
I agree with bassman... this has become my 2nd favorite episode.

Trivia kiddies. Episode Director Ernest Dickerson was 2nd Unit Director on Romero's DAY of the DEAD (1985)

Wyldwraith
29-Nov-2010, 03:06 AM
Well,
First, Shane drew down on Rick and was considering cold-blooded back-shooting murder until Dale chanced upon him in mid-decision. Good men do not CONSIDER murdering their "best friend" because they got their feelings hurt, or feel like something that wasn't theirs was taken from them.

All in all, an excellent episode. The ending was a little vague for my tastes, and the previews less than promising, but I liked it. Mostly. Wasn't at all pulled in by TWD's version of the CDC under Wildfire protocols, but wasn't my script to write. The characterization was good as usual, but this was the first episode where I felt like it really didn't much matter what the characters did. Hoping Ep #6 does something to hint at purpose. I pray it ends strong, else we've got SERIOUS problems regarding the show's future.

Still, have hopes.

JDFP
29-Nov-2010, 03:11 AM
Holy shit! What a ride! When I think the show can't improve or become any better... it surprises me even more!

We now know that it can take a matter of HOURS for the dead to reanimate even after dying. It doesn't mean that it will always take so long -- but it seemed to have been at least a few hours (it was full dark when they were attacked, and it was full daylight at the beginning of the episode) for the dead to reanimate again. This seems more plausible to me than a matter of minutes -- the pathogen in the body becomes active after the individual dies and spreads like "wildfire" through the body -- culminating at least a few hours later.

Jim reminded me of Miguel from "Day" in this episode. Mostly because he seems to bare an uncanny resemblance with that beard. I commend him on his exit. Very heartfelt and emotional. I was hoping that Daryl would have stayed behind and moved on some small distance in the woods while Jim wasn't looking and then ended him (the person who stayed behind would have just had to walk up to the gas station a short distance up the road since they established they were close to one). No one should have to suffer becoming a zombie and being one. It would have been better if someone had gracefully put him out of his misery.

I absolutely loved the music that was playing while they were in the caravan out of the campsite. Very dramatic and emotional -- it fit the scene extremely well.

I'll be interested in seeing more (next week!) as to what happened to the rest of the staff at the CDC. Did they all abandon ship? It seems difficult for me to fathom, even under the circumstances, that there would only be ONE doctor still remaining even after the period of time that has elapsed. In a tragedy of this nature there would have to have been HUNDREDS of staff at the CDC. Something dramatic certainly had to happen to the rest of the staff there. There should be some type of explanation for this -- hopefully there will be as this doesn't seem very logical at this point. But, they just got there... so I'm not ranting about it is I'm sure the next episode will explain this.

At the end of the episode for the scenes for next week the doctor at the CDC says: "France seems to have been the last to hold out!". I must admit I started laughing after I heard this. C'mon, France! Really? I guess the Frogs are well prepared for a zombie apocalypse!

Anyway, just some initial reactions I had, I'm certain I'll think of quite a few more things to add.

j.p.

MikePizzoff
29-Nov-2010, 03:22 AM
I thought the episode was great... until the CDC shit. It would have been fine if it didn't open up for them at the end - if they just left and continued on an aimless journey. However, seeing that previews for the finale informs me that the final episode is going to take place pretty much entirely in the CDC. WTF??? That is a huge let down. CDC wasn't in the comic AT ALL and is really only holding back the awesome story to come.

Hopefully only, at most, the first half of the finale will be at the CDC and then they'll continue on to where they wind up next in the story arc. Leaving us with a view of what they discover so we can salivate over season 2. If they're smart, this is how it'll pan out...

Sammich
29-Nov-2010, 03:25 AM
Wildfire means that the cause of the dead coming back is most likely extraterrestrial in origin from Project Scoop. Andromeda DID NOT mutate into a non-infectious form as initially believed by Dr. Jeremy Stone after it escaped from Piedmont, NM and the original Wildfire facility.

It is not too late to initiate Directive 712.

JDFP
29-Nov-2010, 03:26 AM
I thought the episode was great... until the CDC shit. It would have been fine if it didn't open up for them at the end - if they just left and continued on an aimless journey. However, seeing that previews for the finale informs me that the final episode is going to take place pretty much entirely in the CDC. WTF??? That is a huge let down. CDC wasn't in the comic AT ALL and is really only holding back the awesome story to come.

Personally, I'm looking forward to the intricate details of what all went on in the CDC. It would make for a great story. Plus, the CDC has communication capabilities with the USNORTHCOM, the White House, and the other branches of the government. It would be really fascinating to find out what all is known of the rest of the U.S.

j.p.

MikePizzoff
29-Nov-2010, 03:34 AM
Personally, I'm looking forward to the intricate details of what all went on in the CDC. It would make for a great story. Plus, the CDC has communication capabilities with the USNORTHCOM, the White House, and the other branches of the government. It would be really fascinating to find out what all is known of the rest of the U.S.

j.p.

Yeah but, to end the season on that note? Seems like something that could have been filler half way through the season. If the season ends on the down note of "a bunch of people sitting around the CDC taking blood tests while Andrea cries in the shower" then season two will take a viewing hit.

Fingers crossed that I'm wrong and they're just not showing all of the awesome stuff they've got in store for the finale.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Nov-2010, 03:36 AM
Hopefully we SEE a lot of ANDREA in the SHOWER... that will keep me wanting more of Season 2. :lol:

Skold
29-Nov-2010, 03:38 AM
i've read the comic since issue one, and i freaking *loved* this out-of-nowhere CDC stuff. i've been waiting for more of this kind of thing since Rhodes shot Dr. Logan! Check out the ep6 preview on amc.com - i love it! :D :D :D

MikePizzoff
29-Nov-2010, 03:45 AM
Okay, that sneak peek was actually pretty cool.

However, I hope the final thing we see is:

(don't open this spoiler if you haven't read the comic)

Them discovering the gated community.

ProfessorChaos
29-Nov-2010, 05:12 AM
amy and andrea's scene was amazing, i think i was holding my breath the entire time. rick and shane's hunting trip was interesting, for sure. and i was very please with the way jim and his story were almost identical to the comics.

as for the CDC, that was a bit out-of-sync with the established tone and style of this show, but was good regardless. and next week's preview on AMC certainly looks interesting. it appears my prediction about the ending of season 1 is going to be wrong, according to recent magazine articles and interviews. very interested to see how they wind this season down and where they leave us hanging on for a long wait till season 2.

Doc
29-Nov-2010, 05:34 AM
I'm actually disappointed they didn't explain how the zeds manage to evade the wires, and how they managed to get up the camp without, making a sound.

And is it me or did the RV get magically fixed as, soon as they left Jim?

clanglee
29-Nov-2010, 05:48 AM
Oh wow. Wonderful episode. Really really good stuff.

Debbieangel
29-Nov-2010, 06:00 AM
Ep. 5 was sooo cool!
Did anyone notice that the American flag in the back of the RV was upside down?
I found that to be interesting, maybe a signal of distress? I mean everyone is under distress in TWD...why put the flag upside down?

Ghoulman
29-Nov-2010, 09:58 AM
Absolutely WOW! I loved this ep!! This was most definitely another very moving installmemnt and as mentioned above the exiting caravan music was so spot-effing-on it literally gave me goosebumps! As an avid reader of the comic I thought the CDC arc was an unexpected and exciting new turn and I thank them (so far) for surprising the source material junkies with it. I believe the CDC story arc is intended for closure purposes only (remember we are talking about a television series that, until a few weeks ago, did not have a definitive future) and Season 2 will find the group continuing roughly along the path put in place by the comics. But I could be wrong.

Now THAT is the Shane that comic fans know and hate!

---------- Post added at 05:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 AM ----------

Was it me or did it feel like we missed something when Shane went to look up ahead at the possible gas station for an RV radiator hose fix? Next thing we see is Rick talking to Jim immediately follwed by Shane and the rest of the group discussing Jim's fate. I know it's wishful thinking, but I hope there's an added gas station scene with another ghoul beatdown for the DVD.

krisvds
29-Nov-2010, 01:20 PM
Nice episode, liked it better than the previous one. Well written, nice acting. The Jim storyline was a season highlight for me.
This CDC thing has got me a bit worried though. I REALLY hope they're not going to give us some scientific explanation as to why this is all happening. Could be too hokey/scifi...
Please get to the prison in season two

Wyldwraith
29-Nov-2010, 01:37 PM
I dunno,
Maybe it's just lack of info, but the CDC thing jarred me so much it knocked me out of the immersive feeling every other episode has elicited. I just couldn't imagine any circumstances that would lead to the CDC having only ONE GUY in it. I mean, the CDC would've had people on-site and working on samples collected by field teams from pretty close to the beginning. When they had that small outbreak of Hanta Virus in the Southwestern U.S they had a full team + a contingent of military doctors that coordinate with the W.H.O on it within 3-5 days. I just don't see that level of protracted all-out last-stand-being-overrun conflict starting and finishing in less time than it would take for the CDC people to lock down the building with teams inside.

Just my perception, but otherwise I felt the CDC doc's reports to the camera were a compelling portrait of a man given into despair. What I DON'T get is why he was like "Just go away."
At that point, wouldn't taking the chance on ANYONE be preferable to living however long you have left isolated and alone?

Still, pumped to see what they end it on until Season 2. Hope AMC comes to their senses, but know they won't.

bassman
29-Nov-2010, 02:25 PM
Just my perception, but otherwise I felt the CDC doc's reports to the camera were a compelling portrait of a man given into despair. What I DON'T get is why he was like "Just go away."
At that point, wouldn't taking the chance on ANYONE be preferable to living however long you have left isolated and alone?

I took it as a scientist/quarantine kind of thing. I'm sure he's trained in that sort of situation not to let anyone enter the facility for fear of contamination, but he was lonely and ready to give up so much that he let them in anyway. So basically he wanted to let them in from the start, but he knew it was against the rules. Then he just threw the rules out the window in favor of company.

I'm thinking that maybe he was being kept isolated for a reason while he did his research. Whoever he was talking to on that camera has actually been watching and now that the facility has been "contaminated", they'll send in the cavalry that we see in the preview for episode 6.

Still, pumped to see what they end it on until Season 2. Hope AMC comes to their senses, but know they won't.

Come to their senses how? :rockbrow:

EDIT: BTW.....was I the only one completely shocked by the way Carol went off on Ed's head?!? Sweet Jesus that was graphic for TV. Hell...it would've been graphic for an R-rated feature!

Mitchified
29-Nov-2010, 02:49 PM
I think he means that they come to their senses and don't wait almost a year before starting the next season, thus losing a lot of momentum that the series has developed with the people watching.

I loved the episode, I was with it the entire time...until the gentleman from the CDC put in his appearance. Don't get me wrong, I think exploring what happened to the rest of the world would be a fascinating storyline, just not in The Walking Dead. What makes the comics so great is that they're extremely gritty and you don't necessarily get the answers to all of your questions. The characters are completely adrift in the world without any real guidance except for their own experiences. I just feel like it would have been so much stronger if they never would have shown the guy inside the building (but the camera still moves when it did to show that there was indeed someone alive in there) and the door wouldn't have opened to let them in. It just all seemed so out of place that it really did affect my enjoyment of the episode.

Up until that point, though, I thought it was quite possibly the best episode since the series premier.

On a completely random note, when the door first opened and it was nothing but white light, I immediately thought of Close Encounters. Not exactly where my mind should have been going during a zombie-based television show.

bassman
29-Nov-2010, 03:05 PM
I think he means that they come to their senses and don't wait almost a year before starting the next season, thus losing a lot of momentum that the series has developed with the people watching.

Well if that is what he means....I'm not sure why he thinks this show would be any different from most others. It's usually about a year, if not more, between seasons. And just like every other show with a good fanbase, those fans will tune in during the second season whether it is one year or three years after the first. Not to mention they will surely be re-airing all of the first season episodes before season two starts...

Mitchified
29-Nov-2010, 03:09 PM
Well if that is what he means....I'm not sure why he thinks this show would be any different from most others. It's usually about a year, if not more, between seasons. And just like every other show with a good fanbase, those fans will tune in during the second season whether it is one year or three years after the first. Not to mention they will surely be re-airing all of the first season episodes before season two starts...

Which I agree with completely. Shows like Breaking Bad, Dexter, and Heroes kept going strong even after long times between seasons. I don't see why The Walking Dead would be any different in that regard.

Although Heroes started dying off because the writing became so crappy around the midway point of the second season, but that's a different story.

DEAD BEAT
29-Nov-2010, 03:25 PM
i must say...still an interesting series but this last episode left me a little limp! "Action was to a bare minimum in this one!"

I'm guessing it must be that the finale is gonna kick some serious ass! ;)

bassman
29-Nov-2010, 04:04 PM
i must say...still an interesting series but this last episode left me a little limp! "Action was to a bare minimum in this one!"

I'm cool with that. Episode two covered enough action for this entire six episode season....

DEAD BEAT
29-Nov-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm cool with that. Episode two covered enough action for this entire six episode season....

I thought by episode 4 we were gonna leave behind all the sentimental pleasantries shit and move on to pure annihilation! ;)

Oh well i guess now that they left their camp site its on now...you guys know once survivors leave their comfort zone that bad shit's a bout to go down! lol

"Episode 6....let's do it!" ;)

MikePizzoff
29-Nov-2010, 06:15 PM
And is it me or did the RV get magically fixed as, soon as they left Jim?

Shane said he was running ahead (with T-dog) to the gas station and told Rick to hold down the fort. We are to assume that some short period of time passes before we see the scene with Rick and Jim, in the RV, talking. Then another short period of time before the scene with Rick, Shane, Andrea, and Lori discussing what they should do with Jim - we are, then again, to assume that during this conversation, Dale and T-dog are off-screen working on the RV.

Ep. 5 was sooo cool!
I found that to be interesting, maybe a signal of distress? I mean everyone is under distress in TWD...why put the flag upside down?

Good observation! I also noticed this and appreciated it. I thought the reason they have the flag inverted is to represent their love for a country that once was - hanging it upside down in retrospect of there being no government, no real society, and therefore essentially no more United States.

I'm guessing it must be that the finale is gonna kick some serious ass! ;)

Yeah, I'm sure they'll have some sort of zombie ass-kicking in the final episode. However, if you're watching this show for action, you've got another thing coming. I guess you've never read the comics; they're far more drama/character-driven than action/zombie-driven.

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:12 PM ----------

And please get to the prison in season 2.

There should be spoiler tags around stuff like that. Anyway, they better not rush to that point in the second season! There is way too much good story before that happens:

The gated community and the farm family were awesome arcs.

JDFP
29-Nov-2010, 06:30 PM
Now that I think about it, the introduction of the doctor in the last 10 minutes of the episode seemed very Desmond from me.

Remember the whole arc with "The Hatch" near the end of the first season of "LOST" (also known as one of the greatest shows ever created, until "Sons of Anarchy" and "The Walking Dead" that is...)? The last 10 minutes of this episode reminded me quite a bit of the first 10 minutes of the first episode of the second season where we see Desmond walking around in the Dharma station the hatch was connected to -- ultimately leading back to the main characters (Jack/Locke/etc. looking down the hatch when Desmond hears the alarm). When the doctor was introduced and it broke completely away from our main characters this reminded me quite a bit of this. Like "LOST", I thought it was very well done and creative as a "A-ha! Gotcha!" moment.

I'm wondering if they got this cut-away idea from J.J. Abrams and co. on this actually, as it seemed quite a bit like something "LOST" would do.

j.p.

krisvds
29-Nov-2010, 06:39 PM
There should be spoiler tags around stuff like that. Anyway, they better not rush to that point in the second season! There is way too much good story before that happens:

The gated community and the farm family were awesome arcs.

Fixed.

Thorn
29-Nov-2010, 07:47 PM
Ep. 5 was sooo cool!

Yes I did notice that, and it made me wonder if it was there initially as a distress signal long since forgotten.

As for the episode, I loved it really. Please tell me I was no the only one who jump 2-3 times while waiting for to reanimate. You had people near here the whole time, Dale crouching/kneeling kneeling near her head and so on. There were several cuts that made me jump as I sat in anticipation of a violent reanimation.

As for the ending... I REALLY did not like it at all. That is just me though, and it is not even that it was so far out of the "comic book" realm, but it will impact potentially a later story line for the comic in a way (those of you who read it know what I mean) and it was just so... out of place.

It really felt as if I was watching a different show.

Now as for the setting around the CDC, yeah I loved that.

DEAD BEAT
29-Nov-2010, 07:53 PM
Yes I did notice that, and it made me wonder if it was there initially as a distress signal long since forgotten.

As for the episode, I loved it really. Please tell me I was no the only one who jump 2-3 times while waiting for to reanimate. You had people near here the whole time, Dale crouching/kneeling kneeling near her head and so on. There were several cuts that made me jump as I sat in anticipation of a violent reanimation.

As for the ending... I REALLY did not like it at all. That is just me though, and it is not even that it was so far out of the "comic book" realm, but it will impact potentially a later story line for the comic in a way (those of you who read it know what I mean) and it was just so... out of place.

It really felt as if I was watching a different show.

Now as for the setting around the CDC, yeah I loved that.

I think the girl took to long to re-animate.....but i thought they would have her bite her sister so the pack could gun them both down! ;)

As i said earlier im glad they finally left the camp cause now we know from now on its do or die for the group! "let's rock"

bassman
29-Nov-2010, 08:21 PM
As i said earlier im glad they finally left the camp cause now we know from now on its do or die for the group! "let's rock"

After this CDC thing blows over, if it's anything like the comic we'll see them basically bouncing from camp to camp. Set up in one place only to be run out, then try another, then another, etc. So it's not going to really be the continuing road movie I think you're hoping for. Not for a while, anyway. That is....IF it follows the comics more closely after this season.

Speaking of it being different....it's funny that just last week Hellsing was saying he wouldn't watch the show because there was no real reason to see it all over again, only in live action. Heh heh.....he was wrong.

acealive1
29-Nov-2010, 09:16 PM
Holy shit! What a ride! When I think the show can't improve or become any better... it surprises me even more!

[SPOILER]
Jim reminded me of Miguel from "Day" in this episode. Mostly because he seems to bare an uncanny resemblance with that beard.

j.p.

man u read my mind. i was gonna say that he was pretty much a carbon copy.......or a rip off.....then i thought of whos doing the special effects since he was in day.

kidgloves
29-Nov-2010, 09:38 PM
Anyone catch Shane saying "We just leave him here? We take off. Man, I'm not sure I could live with that" when there discussing leaving Jim. Oh the irony.
Great episode all round. 2nd favorite now after the pilot. I didn't find the CDC jarring at all and I'm looking forward to some science in the next episode.
Even Daryl looked disturbed as Carol got stuck into Ed's corpse. 5 times she pickaxed him. 5 :eek::eek:
Rick was well and truly losing it outside the CDC. Good insight into where he's going.
And what the hell was it with all the CGI flies?

Great stuff

acealive1
29-Nov-2010, 10:17 PM
Anyone catch Shane saying "We just leave him here? We take off. Man, I'm not sure I could live with that" when there discussing leaving Jim. Oh the irony.
Great episode all round. 2nd favorite now after the pilot. I didn't find the CDC jarring at all and I'm looking forward to some science in the next episode.
Even Daryl looked disturbed as Carol got stuck into Ed's corpse. 5 times she pickaxed him. 5 :eek::eek:
Rick was well and truly losing it outside the CDC. Good insight into where he's going.

Great stuff

i definitely caught that........it was like he was trying to be the straight man and holier than thou

DEAD BEAT
29-Nov-2010, 11:32 PM
Speaking of it being different....it's funny that just last week Hellsing was saying he wouldn't watch the show because there was no real reason to see it all over again, only in live action. Heh heh.....he was wrong.

"that's the same as saying you only like to watch sex!" lmao

bassman
29-Nov-2010, 11:33 PM
man u read my mind. i was gonna say that he was pretty much a carbon copy.......or a rip off.....then i thought of whos doing the special effects since he was in day.

So anyone with dark hair and a beard is a rip off of Miguel? :confused:

Legion2213
30-Nov-2010, 12:03 AM
Jim was nothing like Miguel...for a start, I really felt sorry for the guy, Miguel was a whiney ass bitch.

Um, anyway, loved this episode, Bear McCreary is scoring it to perfection. The whole thing is pure epic fucking win, for every nit pick there is whole bag of quality to offset it IMO.

Last episode of the season coming up in a week, I'll be totally gutted! Will have to start on the hardback comic volumes.

DEAD BEAT
30-Nov-2010, 12:46 AM

"don't forget the cock in his mouth as well!" lol

sandrock74
30-Nov-2010, 12:52 AM

Historically speaking, Hollywood has always had a difficult time finding trained flies to act their part on cue.

acealive1
30-Nov-2010, 12:59 AM

yea.....cuz thats exactly what i said. :rolleyes::rolleyes: run along,kiddo. the guy had the hysterics down pretty well.

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 01:45 AM
yea.....cuz thats exactly what i said. :rolleyes::rolleyes: run along,kiddo. the guy had the hysterics down pretty well.

Hysterics? How was he hysterical? The only time he was slightly out of whack was after his dream, or premonition, or whatever you want to call it. And I was seriously asking for your reasons as to why you think they're identical.

Thanks for the "kiddo" remarks.
http://gallery.fanserviceftw.com/_images/b936d6d6247faccc87e36d805ef60282/3879%20-%20animated_gif%20chuck_norris%20dodgeball%20thumb s_up.gif

acealive1
30-Nov-2010, 03:02 AM
Hysterics? How was he hysterical? The only time he was slightly out of whack was after his dream, or premonition, or whatever you want to call it. And I was seriously asking for your reasons as to why you think they're identical.

Thanks for the "kiddo" remarks.
http://gallery.fanserviceftw.com/_images/b936d6d6247faccc87e36d805ef60282/3879%20-%20animated_gif%20chuck_norris%20dodgeball%20thumb s_up.gif

why do i have to answer if i wasnt the one who said it first? cmon bro, its called an opinion.

and no problem, home slice :p

clanglee
30-Nov-2010, 03:04 AM
I actually think that Jim looks quite a bit like Miguel as well. But aside from them both being laid up after getting bitten. . . no real personality similarities.

DEAD BEAT
30-Nov-2010, 03:12 AM
shit they were both tools....next topic please! lol

Skold
30-Nov-2010, 04:26 AM
Juvenile antics aside, that Jim character was awesome and i freaking loved his whole character arc. This is what used to be the province of GAR: ordinary people making bad decisions because of the situation. That scene rocked.

hadrian0117
30-Nov-2010, 05:58 AM
I think he means that they come to their senses and don't wait almost a year before starting the next season, thus losing a lot of momentum that the series has developed with the people watching...

I don't think we'll see season 2 until Mad Men finishes it's next season. So about the same time TWD premired.

...I'm thinking that maybe he was being kept isolated for a reason while he did his research. Whoever he was talking to on that camera has actually been watching and now that the facility has been "contaminated", they'll send in the cavalry that we see in the preview for episode 6...EDIT: BTW.....was I the only one completely shocked by the way Carol went off on Ed's head?!? Sweet Jesus that was graphic for TV. Hell...it would've been graphic for an R-rated feature!

Good point. It's also possible that Darabont will pick now to start showing flashbacks and the stuff with soldiers occured earlier. I loved how uncomfortable Daryl started to look when Caron kept repeateded bashing Ed's skull in way more times than she needed too.

i've read the comic since issue one, and i freaking *loved* this out-of-nowhere CDC stuff. i've been waiting for more of this kind of thing since Rhodes shot Dr. Logan! Check out the ep6 preview on amc.com - i love it! :D :D :D

I wonder if we'll get to see a government/military facility set up properly to do behavioral research on "live" specimans.

j.p.

Yep, if anyone else is out there the CDC would be able to contact them via satelite. No need for "land relays". It'd also be an interesting direction to take. Sure the government still exists; it's just lost control of most of the country and can't/won't do anything for the survivors. They could even let them know that the good news is that there are in fact safe zones; that bad news is that it's Hawaii and Alaska good luck getting there.

Ghoulman
30-Nov-2010, 10:03 AM
[/COLOR]
It's also possible that Darabont will pick now to start showing flashbacks and the stuff with soldiers occured earlier.Close! My money is on video surveillance being shown to Rick and the group by the CDC guy. I also think the CDC-guy was not “talking” to anyone but rather keeping a video journal for (hopeful) future research purposes.
I still maintain that the CDC arc is completely insignificant to the rest of the series and will likely not be drawn on again. I believe the arc is solely for seasonal/series closure purposes… nothing more.

shootemindehead
30-Nov-2010, 11:23 AM
Not too sure what to think of this episode.

It took off well, after the attack in 4. But trailed off quite a bit IMO. The CDC thing is another unwelcome addition in a long line of unwelcome additions and I REALLY hope their not going to offer some sort of lame "reason" for the outbreak. That'l knock stars off of it.

I've been in two minds about the whole execution of the show so far and I can imagine a lot of non-zombie fans being turned off it, to be honest.

The writers either need to pay more attention to the comic's story arcs or start writing much better plot lines, because they haven't been top notch so far.

The pilot remains the best episode, by a country mile.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that there's not enough actual zombies in the series? I mean, there are HUGE stretches of territory that have NONE at all! I'm getting the impression that one could find a wee cabin or farmhouse somewhere and not be that bothered.

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 12:10 PM
why do i have to answer if i wasnt the one who said it first? cmon bro, its called an opinion.

*sigh*

You quoted JD saying that their hair and beard were similar. Then I asked you to explain your stance that the character is a rip off. Because I was genuinely curious as to how you thought(in your opinion...) they were very similar. Looking like someone and a character being a rip off are two totally different things.

But at this point....nevermind....

DEAD BEAT
30-Nov-2010, 03:40 PM
*sigh*

You quoted JD saying that their hair and beard were similar. Then I asked you to explain your stance that the character is a rip off. Because I was genuinely curious as to how you thought(in your opinion...) they were very similar. Looking like someone and a character being a rip off are two totally different things.

It's one of those things Bass, people listen to Lady Gaga and think their Rockstars! ;)

"Some know.....and some blow!" lol

Thorn
30-Nov-2010, 04:11 PM
I actually think that Jim looks quite a bit like Miguel as well. But aside from them both being laid up after getting bitten. . . no real personality similarities.

I looked at him a couple of times and thought the same thing, he looked a lot like him to me. Thin scruffy, and tan. I think it is only natural for those of us who have seen day and the rest of these movies so many times to see something of them in places. Do I think they parallel each other in any way? No. Do I think it was intentional? No.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 PM ----------

Now that I think about it, the introduction of the doctor in the last 10 minutes of the episode seemed very Desmond from me.

Remember the whole arc with "The Hatch" near the end of the first season of "LOST" (also known as one of the greatest shows ever created, until "Sons of Anarchy" and "The Walking Dead" that is...)? The last 10 minutes of this episode reminded me quite a bit of the first 10 minutes of the first episode of the second season where we see Desmond walking around in the Dharma station the hatch was connected to -- ultimately leading back to the main characters (Jack/Locke/etc. looking down the hatch when Desmond hears the alarm). When the doctor was introduced and it broke completely away from our main characters this reminded me quite a bit of this. Like "LOST", I thought it was very well done and creative as a "A-ha! Gotcha!" moment.

I'm wondering if they got this cut-away idea from J.J. Abrams and co. on this actually, as it seemed quite a bit like something "LOST" would do.

j.p.

I thought that as well, honestly. I thought of lost and I am hoping they do not try to recreate that vibe with the survivors stumbling upon mysteries here and there on their travels revealing a top secret government plot or some religious tie in.

I loved Lost, but this is not that and the story should not resemble it in anyway. this is about people trying to make it in a world that is drastically changed. It is about people interacting with others, good and bad, and those results. I do not need "hatch" moments, or mysterious secrets around every corner.

That sub has sailed.

DEAD BEAT
30-Nov-2010, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=Thorn;254670]I looked at him a couple of times and thought the same thing, he looked a lot like him to me. Thin scruffy, and tan. I think it is only natural for those of us who have seen day and the rest of these movies so many times to see something of them in places. Do I think they parallel each other in any way? No. Do I think it was intentional? No.[COLOR="Silver"]

Alright with that fool! lol

Ok maybe lil resemblence but @ least Jim had more personality than that nut job Miguel!

Plus @ least Jim was gettin some before the epidemic...Miguel was probably so pissed off all the time thinking "dam, i couldn't get laid before the zombie take over...now im really screwed!" lmao

Thorn
30-Nov-2010, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=Thorn;254670]I looked at him a couple of times and thought the same thing, he looked a lot like him to me. Thin scruffy, and tan. I think it is only natural for those of us who have seen day and the rest of these movies so many times to see something of them in places. Do I think they parallel each other in any way? No. Do I think it was intentional? No.[COLOR="Silver"]

Alright with that fool! lol

Ok maybe lil resemblence but @ least Jim had more personality than that nut job Miguel!

Plus @ least Jim was gettin some before the epidemic...Miguel was probably so pissed off all the time thinking "dam, i couldn't get laid before the zombie take over...now im really screwed!" lmao

;) Oh yeah, for sure they have zero in common. For one Jim is straight, and can actually act...

Gemini
30-Nov-2010, 04:47 PM
I haven't seen this episode yet, but I read a spoiler where somehow it's revealed it takes 12 hours after death for somebody to be zombified.

This puts a real dent in the feasibility of the plague overtaking the planet.

Suspension of disbelief is very important to me, can somebody find an angle I can live with or tell me I'm mistaken??

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 04:53 PM
I haven't seen this episode yet, but I read a spoiler where somehow it's revealed it takes 12 hours after death for somebody to be zombified.

Suspension of disbelief is very important to me, can somebody find an angle I can live with or tell me I'm mistaken??

I can't remember a specific time frame being stated in the episode, but much like romero's films, I believe it varies depending on your bite/cause of death.

And dude....if you haven't seen the fifth episode, you probably shouldnt be looking at this thread.:eek:

Legion2213
30-Nov-2010, 04:54 PM

It did seem to take around 12 hours or so...

camp was attacked in the evening, no resurections until the morning after...it also took around two months to go fully global according to the scientist at the CDC, they are over 100 days into the outbreak...this was a slow death

I understand your problem here...almost instant resurections would really pile on the preasure and make a total infestation far more believable.

Gemini
30-Nov-2010, 05:13 PM
Yes, I should not be in this thread but I can't resist! Tonight will be the first time in several days I will have an hour to watch the thing, it's been sitting on my DVR since Sunday!

And I just saw this on a FB post...I only read the first two comic books, and don't recall varying rates of zombification but maybe I didn't read far enough in to it?

they've changed quite a few things from the comic, but the rate of zombification was different for everyone iirc. Some were instant, others took about a day or so. Besides, her change taking longer made for more drama, whic...h is usually why people watch Hollywood bullsh*t. :P

acealive1
30-Nov-2010, 06:46 PM
*sigh*

yea u nicely left out the last part. "then i saw who was doing the sfx" nicotero was in day......so im guessing thats why there was a character in WD that was essentially a throwback to the movie. thats all.

JDFP
30-Nov-2010, 06:49 PM
It took off well, after the attack in 4. But trailed off quite a bit IMO. The CDC thing is another unwelcome addition in a long line of unwelcome additions and I REALLY hope their not going to offer some sort of lame "reason" for the outbreak. That'l knock stars off of it.

I've been in two minds about the whole execution of the show so far and I can imagine a lot of non-zombie fans being turned off it, to be honest.

Also, am I the only one who thinks that there's not enough actual zombies in the series? I mean, there are HUGE stretches of territory that have NONE at all! I'm getting the impression that one could find a wee cabin or farmhouse somewhere and not be that bothered.

Personally, one of the first places I would think of going if something like this were to take place would be the CDC in Atlanta. When the CDC was finally introduced in this episode my first thought was: "It's about damn time". Seriously, these people are only a matter of a few miles away from the CDC and no one up to that point thought: "Hey, maybe we should attempt to check out the place?". Doesn't seem plausible to me. I would find it to be an unwelcome addition of the series if the CDC was NOT addressed at all being that they were literally only a few miles away from it. It would be nuts to not consider the place or going there before attempting to hit Ft. Benning.

I have not read the comics and don't intend to with the series still airing, but if the series were to follow the comics 100% to the letter then what would be the point in watching the show at all be exactly? It would seem kind of pointless to me unless I suppose someone wanted to see a "live action" version of it. To me, that would be a bit like seeing an exact and identical re-make of a film. Why bother if you've seen the original?

As far as zombies, the show isn't about zombies. It's about the characters who happen to be in the situation where there are zombies (secondarily to the characters). I wouldn't mind to see entire episodes without a single zombie in it -- as long as we can focus on great character development and intrigue I'm good to go. So far, I haven't been disappointed at all. If anyone was interested in just zombies they could play a mindless video game. This show is about characters first and foremost -- and I commend it for that.

Just my .02.

j.p.

Thorn
30-Nov-2010, 06:54 PM
Let's see, who does he look like and why... hmmm.
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:WDYyLOH_rk0kqM:http://mimg.ugo.com/201011/65388/cuts/jim-final_480x270.jpg&t=1

Cleared that up, please let the discussion continue. Jesus you people will bicker about ANYTHING.

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 07:07 PM
Let's see, who does he look like and why... hmmm.

My question was never about his appearance, but how the CHARACTER was in any way related to, or a "rip off" of Miguel. But at this point it's like talking to a brick wall...

Cleared that up, please let the discussion continue. Jesus you people will bicker about ANYTHING.

Welcome to the internet. Let me show you around. :lol:

Thorn
30-Nov-2010, 07:16 PM
My question was never about his appearance, but how the CHARACTER was in any way related to, or a "rip off" of Miguel. But at this point it's like talking to a brick wall...

Welcome to the internet. Let me show you around. :lol:

Why thank you for your kindness and hospitality sir.

No, but seriously I have been around the internet a long time, and I am no stranger to forums and not even this site but the level of bicker and nitpicking around here is reaching "epic" proportions.

It used to be endearing but now it is just plain silly.

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 07:17 PM
No, but seriously I have been around the internet a long time, and I am no stranger to forums and not even this site but the level of bicker and nitpicking around here is reaching "epic" proportions.

You must have missed the personal stories of kidnappings, rapings and such in one of the other Walking Dead threads. Now THAT was epic. And frightening. :lol:

But yes....apparently Ace and I are speaking two different languages, so it's time to move on from that question. I agree...

Thorn
30-Nov-2010, 07:26 PM
Yeah or maybe I just need more coffee ;)

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah or maybe I just need more coffee ;)

Don't you miss your coffee maker? I miss my vibrator. :lol:

Strange scene that one was. But it gave them a nice human moment. Then bubba badass came in being a douche. It was nice to see his half eaten corpse and his abused wife crush in his skull with a pick axe....

DEAD BEAT
30-Nov-2010, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=bassman;254713]Don't you miss your coffee maker? I miss my vibrator. :lol:

whaaa? all this time i thought u were a dude Bass...unless im missing something with the vibrator joke! lol

If that's the case forget i said anything! ;)

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 08:08 PM
It was a reference to The Walking Dead. Episodes three and five. ;)

clanglee
30-Nov-2010, 08:28 PM
You must have missed the personal stories of kidnappings, rapings and such in one of the other Walking Dead threads. Now THAT was epic. And frightening. :lol:
Yeah, I had to give this place a week long break because of that thread. . and other's that were pissing me off.

DEAD BEAT
30-Nov-2010, 09:25 PM
Yeah, I had to give this place a week long break because of that thread. . and other's that were pissing me off.

not 2 mention the belittling and insults of many others! lmao

Tell u what, the day this becomes a freakin tea party of old ladies..."im outta here!" lol

MikePizzoff
30-Nov-2010, 10:40 PM
camp was attacked in the evening, no resurections until the morning after...it also took around two months to go fully global according to the scientist at the CDC, they are over 100 days into the outbreak...this was a slow death

Nah man, they're nowhere near 100 days since the outbreak. Rick woke up in the hospital [at most] 3 weeks after the outbreak.

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 10:43 PM
Nah man, they're nowhere near 100 days since the outbreak. Rick woke up in the hospital [at most] 3 weeks after the outbreak.

The scientist in the CDC says something about "One hundred and [blank blank] days" during one of his "diary" videos....

Mr. Clean
30-Nov-2010, 11:13 PM
I thought this episode blew ass with the exception of the last 20 mins. Kinda shocked that everyone else enjoyed it so much.

I could have done without the long dragged out reanimation of the blonde.

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 11:21 PM
I could have done without the long dragged out reanimation of the blonde.

With the exception of them hitting the road, that was probably my favorite part of the episode. The slow twitching and gradual "wake up" was intense. Then she also had that minute of recognition kinda like Roger and Shaun's Mom. Andrea's final words and "I love you.." BAM! were also a bit unexpected and heavy on the heart.

Overall....great scene, imo. But i'm more into the human element of the show than the zombie element...

DEAD BEAT
30-Nov-2010, 11:34 PM
With the exception of them hitting the road, that was probably my favorite part of the episode. The slow twitching and gradual "wake up" was intense. Then she also had that minute of recognition kinda like Roger and Shaun's Mom. Andrea's final words and "I love you.." BAM! were also a bit unexpected and heavy on the heart.

Overall....great scene, imo. But i'm more into the human element of the show than the zombie element...

you must be an Earth sign Bass! lol

Mr. Clean
30-Nov-2010, 11:35 PM
I didn't take her slow movements as recognition of her sister at all. I figured it as her muscles struggling against the Rigor Mortis and her brain not being fully self-aware of it's directives.

bassman
30-Nov-2010, 11:37 PM
I didn't take her slow movements as recognition of her sister at all. I figured it as her muscles struggling against the Rigor Mortis and her brain not being fully self-aware of it's directives.

I think rubbing her sister's hair was definite recognition. Once her hand clamped down on her hair, she was fully zombi-fied.

Debbieangel
30-Nov-2010, 11:39 PM
i agree with you bass...that scene with the girl and her sister was intense! I kept expecting her to jump up and bite her face off. The way they did it was a very "edge of your seat" moment. I love those moments when you are not sure what will happen.
In all I think TWD has great storyline.

MikePizzoff
01-Dec-2010, 12:12 AM
The scientist in the CDC says something about "One hundred and [blank blank] days" during one of his "diary" videos....

Yargh, I didn't catch that! Damn it, another thing drastically changed from the comic. So I guess when Rick and Shane were stopping that high-speed pursuit, it was while there was some zombie shit going on? If that's the case then I guess it hadn't become widespread yet, hence why they're still going about regular police business and having casual conversation.

Legion2213
01-Dec-2010, 01:36 AM
The re-animation scene could have been a total disaster, but it was handled really well IMO, and regardless of wether it was the girl recovering from rigor or recognizing her sister for a moment, it just worked. I think they have really handled the human drama well so far.

Just flat out loving this series. :)

acealive1
01-Dec-2010, 01:52 AM
Then she also had that minute of recognition kinda like Roger and Shaun's Mom.

i got that out of it too, nice touch. the sister had this "oh hey,sis" kind of look...then when she gripped her hair it was like she figured out 'oh wait, shes my dinner now'

Gemini
01-Dec-2010, 02:33 AM
Finally got a chance to watch this.

I thought the character development all around was great, better than in any other episode. And the first half was as strong as any stretch in the series. A lot of nice touches and effective scenes before they left camp.

Then it really slowed down, and a couple things bothered me. 1st, the dead appear to take way too long to turn which puts a dent in my suspension of disbelief that they've taken over the planet. Also, their threat is not nearly as omnipresent (is that a word?) as it should have been. For instance, driving to the CDC, would it have killed them (figure of speech) to sprinkle some walkers in or around those roads? Also, outside the CDC they should have shown hordes closing in rather than just one or two stray walkers. Kind of makes the walkers overrunning the military posts a bit of a stretch doesn't it?

In other words, I feel the menace needs to better realized and more convincing; without that nothing else matters.

Maybe I just have ridiculous high standards from being an old school GAR fan and the perfection of episode 1?

Mr. Clean
01-Dec-2010, 03:05 AM
I thought the reanimation process was a little more realistic. Also, I think why I didn't buy into the "Oh hey, sister..." thing was because of my religious view on the dead. I tend to cut my ties someone's body once they pass on. It's my way of dealing with it I guess but I haven't really loss anyone that important in my life besides several of my grandparents.

Doc
01-Dec-2010, 03:23 AM
Ummmm is this true?: http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1137550p1.html

:eek:

Mr. Clean
01-Dec-2010, 03:29 AM
freelancers and no direction? Pretty Risky...

shootemindehead
01-Dec-2010, 01:47 PM
I have not read the comics and don't intend to with the series still airing, but if the series were to follow the comics 100% to the letter then what would be the point in watching the show at all be exactly? It would seem kind of pointless to me unless I suppose someone wanted to see a "live action" version of it. To me, that would be a bit like seeing an exact and identical re-make of a film. Why bother if you've seen the original?

Because most people who've read the comics wanted to see THAT walking dead brought to the screen. Also, the comics are FAR, FAR, FARRRRR superior to what's been shown on the tele so far. If you're happy with major changes then that's cool JD, as you said you haven't read the comics and that's ok. But, I only would have been grand with it if the writing had been on the same par. But, it hasn't sadly. It's been REALLY hit and miss.

As far as zombies, the show isn't about zombies. It's about the characters...

Sorry, don't buy this. Never have, never will. It's ike saying you read playboy for the articles. People like zombie movies cos guess what? They have zombies in them. I don't know why some people feel the need to distance themselves from that fact. There's nothing wrong with it.

The human element in important, of course, but it's the zombies that attract us, let's be honest. THEY are the genre.

And as for all this guff about the "characters" in this show, they've been a HUGE let down for the most part. A lot of them have been bloody awful so far. Stereotypical button presses, that's all. I was expecting a LOT better from all the pre-show hot air.

Thorn
01-Dec-2010, 01:54 PM
Don't you miss your coffee maker? I miss my vibrator. :lol:

Strange scene that one was. But it gave them a nice human moment. Then bubba badass came in being a douche. It was nice to see his half eaten corpse and his abused wife crush in his skull with a pick axe....

I LOL'd, great reference.

I am glad I didn't read it I guess, or maybe someone could provide me with a link so I can suffer along with you ;)

not 2 mention the belittling and insults of many others! lmao

Tell u what, the day this becomes a freakin tea party of old ladies..."im outta here!" lol

"and then after, I want you to say 'Oh, what a lovely tea party.'"

No but seriously I do not want it to be a tea party either, I am all for humor, fun, debate, and good matured ribbing. I think people know what I referring to.

Maybe the outbreak started 100 days before that point in time gut that does not mean that it hit Rick's town and the the crisis hit his hospital exactly at that time does it? We have no indication that his town was ground zero.

MikePizzoff
01-Dec-2010, 03:00 PM
For instance, driving to the CDC, would it have killed them (figure of speech) to sprinkle some walkers in or around those roads? Also, outside the CDC they should have shown hordes closing in rather than just one or two stray walkers. Kind of makes the walkers overrunning the military posts a bit of a stretch doesn't it?

No "geeks" on the backroads they were driving on didn't bother me at all because, after all, they are supposed to be in backwoods Georgia. Not only is the population count very low, but also, zombies return to places they were familiar with as humans - how many humans do you think just randomly walked around on a stretch of road in the middle of nowhere?

As far as the CDC part, I completely agree with you. I was very disappointed that there were only a few zombies closing in on them. And in the final shot where you can see the street out front of the building, behind the characters, just before the door to the CDC opens, you can notice that there isn't a SINGLE zombie to be seen.

Woohoo! I hope that's true. Darabont probably realized how far-off some of the scripts were going from the storyline, when it was too late. Now that the season is done, he can make his move.

babomb
01-Dec-2010, 03:35 PM
Rick having been in a coma for say 3-4 weeks(est) after isn't so implausible if it actually were 100 days into the outbreak. Like legion2213 said it was a slow death. From the survivors perspective they consider the out break to be around the time when the media started reporting there was a problem, the guy at the CDC considers the start of the outbreak to be when they got the 1st reported case of the disease and then analysis of the samples taken will establish a more accurate timeline.

DEAD BEAT
01-Dec-2010, 03:41 PM
I LOL'd, great reference.

I am glad I didn't read it I guess, or maybe someone could provide me with a link so I can suffer along with you ;)

"and then after, I want you to say 'Oh, what a lovely tea party.'"

No but seriously I do not want it to be a tea party either, I am all for humor, fun, debate, and good matured ribbing. I think people know what I referring to.

Maybe the outbreak started 100 days before that point in time gut that does not mean that it hit Rick's town and the the crisis hit his hospital exactly at that time does it? We have no indication that his town was ground zero.

see now was that so tuff to admit! lol

Tell you dude very few on here get that....people shouldn't be so touchy there's enough crap in the world for them to veg on without bringing it in here! ;)

Debbieangel
01-Dec-2010, 06:09 PM
As for how long it took for the girl's sister to reanimate...like in Romero's universe, you really don't know how long it would take for it to happen. I think it would take possibly depending on the individuals and how they died? Like in real life some people just linger on for days or months before they die, why wouldn't it be the same way with a zombie? Just saying...

Thorn
02-Dec-2010, 01:23 PM
see now was that so tuff to admit! lol

Tell you dude very few on here get that....people shouldn't be so touchy there's enough crap in the world for them to veg on without bringing it in here! ;)

It.. was difficult, but I managed to push my way through ;)

Like three fat American women squeezing trough the Wal-mart doors on black Friday.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_FfTknygc1iM/TG2piJR1ElI/AAAAAAAADn0/8nCdpehWnxE/s1600/MART+3.jpg

Gryphon
02-Dec-2010, 06:00 PM

:eek:

Hrm, following Torchwood's model, eh? Risky. I loved Torchwood, but there were quite a few clunker storylines in it.

Doc
02-Dec-2010, 11:19 PM
Am I the only one who likes Rick better when he's a lone ranger? He's way more badass that way! To bad he has annoying wife, and his kid keeping him down!

Legion2213
03-Dec-2010, 09:26 PM
Am I the only one who likes Rick better when he's a lone ranger? He's way more badass that way! To bad he has annoying wife, and his kid keeping him down!

Yeah, Lonewolf Rick is better veiwing for us punters...we can all be "familly men" in real life, we can't be adventurers in a zombiegeddon scenario though...and thats what we all tune in to watch IMO. :)

bassman
03-Dec-2010, 09:53 PM
The images of rick riding into town with his horse and hat were great. And dare I say iconic?

I was so glad when he got his hat back in episode 4. There's something cool about him having that hat. It was the same in the comics. It's a cowboy kind of image that somehow fits the undead world so perfectly.

Ghoulman
03-Dec-2010, 11:09 PM
The images of rick riding into town with his horse and hat were great. And dare I say iconic?

I was so glad when he got his hat back in episode 4. There's something cool about him having that hat. It was the same in the comics. It's a cowboy kind of image that somehow fits the undead world so perfectly.
Perfect! I couldn't agree more.

MinionZombie
04-Dec-2010, 06:02 PM
Alright fellow Brits - chime in now that we've seen it.

As always, I'll pimp my full thoughts in due course, but suffice to say I absolutely loved episode 5 - the best episode outside of the first, no questions. Wall-to-wall awesome, in my opinion.

And the use of music from Danny Boyle's "Sunshine" gave me chills. :cool:

When I saw the preview of it last week I was wondering how this step outside of the comic's path would work, but episode five ended on a real high note, and a cliffhanger too. I think I might have to watch a downloaded version of the sixth episode, I can't be avoiding spoilers for a whole week ... in which case I'll record the finale on Sky+ and watch it again, so I get to see it straight away, but also show my official support as I've been doing these past five weeks.

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:45 AM ----------

Okay, here are my thoughts-in-full on the excellent "Wildfire":

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2010/12/walking-dead-episode-five-wildfire.html

The penultimate episode of the first season of the AMC/Darabont/Hurd/Kirkman show The Walking Dead has been and gone, and blimey was it a great episode - indeed I'd say it's the best episode of the season outside of the pilot (unless the finale steals the win at the last minute - time shall tell on that matter).

The opening of the episode was superb, with Andrea swamped by her grief while everyone else in the camp knows what will have to be done - not only is this whole portion of the episode very dramatic and moving, but it's tense - "when will they turn", you wonder to yourself. Furthermore, when the expected finally occurs, it's a wonderfully played scene that plays the 'resurrecting as a zombie' angle, which we've seen so many times before, in a new and fascinating way. Similar to the dispatching of the 'bicycle zombie' from the first episode, the scene is full of pathos.

Speaking of pathos, Dale's moment with Andrea was nothing short of truly moving, and establishes the pair's relationship, which - in the comics - was already thoroughly on-the-go by the time Rick showed up at camp. So once again the television adaptation is taking things in a slightly new direction along the same path - and in a way that feels more real, and ultimately more satisfying as a viewer.

Meanwhile, dealing with the bodies left over from the night before, we're treated to yet more awesome gory treats from KNB Effects, who have continually shown throughout this season that they are (and have been for some time) the current masters of the macabre.

This adaptation has taken some significantly different turns along the already established path from the comic books, and I was wondering how this would play out (after last week's preview of this fifth episode), but I'm pleased to say that it's working really well. The intelligent group dynamic of the comics continues to be expressed in the show - a real treat in itself when you've seen countless zombie movies where idiots make even dumber decisions as a matter of course.

There was a chillingly good moment where the Rick/Shane dynamic's crumbling is illustrated in very clear terms. Again, in the comics it's much quicker to appear, and somewhat comes as a surprise, but throughout the show the key players have taken quality themes that were already established, and explored them in different ways that make for very satisfying viewing. The moment where Dale discovers Shane in a less than favourable position was pitch perfect, and further established Dale (as expertly played by Jeffrey DeMunn) as one of my favourite characters on the show.

Speaking of the characters, there are some great beats littered throughout - most notably in connection to Jim, who (in a way direct from the source material) has to come to terms with a troubling realisation. Indeed that entire portion of the show really signalled the sort of tough drama we'll be in store for when the second season rolls around.

It was good to see, or rather hear, a track from the soundtrack for Danny Boyle's Sunshine, a piece of music that has always given me chills - but considering the context in which it is used in this episode, it was doubly chilling.

Moving into the second half of the episode, the part that I was most concerned about for this episode (based on last week's preview of this episode), was all the stuff centering on the CDC (which was established in the first episode). This is a significant change of direction from the source material, but fortunately it works out very well indeed - to see the 'science of the dead' examined in very realistic terms (as further evidenced by the online preview scene from episode six, "TS-19") was very, very cool.

Finally, outside the CDC, the sight of Rick's impassioned desperation as he pleads with a CCTV camera above the sealed-off doors of the CDC complex, was absolutely fantastic - and importantly further suggests the sort of dramatic treats we'll have in store for us come season two (when you consider what takes place over the next couple of volumes of the trade paperbacks). To say that the cliffhanger ending left me wanting more - immediately - is an understatement.

Roll on episode six - the season finale!

Trencher
04-Dec-2010, 10:32 PM
I think the episode was good although the cdc stuff looked really cheap.

Wyldwraith
05-Dec-2010, 11:40 AM
Well,
I LIKED the idea of going to the CDC. It made sense, made Rick seem intelligent and show some guts in taking his stand, and it was one of those "that's what I'd do" decisions that a lot of people enjoy. That said, I was INCREDIBLY DISAPPOINTED in the inside of the CDC itself, and its (apparently) lone inhabitant. The CDC doc's character meandered all over the place, jumping from fatalist whimsy to near tears to "who gives a shit, guess I'll just do what I want" at close to the speed-of-melodrama. Then there was the whole "Just go away.." followed by hesitation/indecision about letting the group inside. You know, because EVERY human being who's been isolated for 100+ days is just DYING for unbroken solitude.

Lastly, I'm with whoever pointed out there were like next to no zombies in sight or during their approach of the CDC. While not as sensitive about this issue as some, I agree that when the phenomena is THIS pronounced that the writers DO need to make up their mind whether Atlanta is literally crawling with the walking dead or nearly deserted. It does get frustrating when one episode it seems like 10 secs in the open and a loud fart and bring hundreds of zombies down on you from all directions, but at other times people can have scuffles, shoot someone in the ass with a crossbow, others can run around and kidnap someone, and the people who didnt make their exit via the car STILL have no trouble making their escape from the area.

The CDC scene was just the culmination of that phenomena. Here we've got a whole pack of live people, some shouting, few keeping their tone low, and Rick's SHOUTING LIKE A LUNATIC...and what happens? Two, MAYBE three zombies can be seen, approaching from some distance.

I can happily deal with either way they want to go with it, and if we were talking about wholly different areas then the relative density/scarcity of zombies could be easily explained, but this is Atlanta, Atlanta, more Atlanta, and literally from one trip to the next its either swarming with Dawn '04/Day-like hordes, or its a relative ghost town that its pretty easy to traverse only seeing one zombie here, one zombie there. With the next-to-no-zombies in the CDC scene, Rick's "You're KILLING US" just seemed overdone and a touch melodramatic, where it would've been PERFECT with 10-12 Walkers where those 1-2 were, and another few dozen far off in the distance.

It's not just a nitpicky thing. It affects other elements of the dialog too. Lori's urgent declaration "We can't be this close to the city this near dark!"...Why? It visually looks like they can simply retreat the way they came easily enough.

Maybe if they stayed on the move more the sudden peaks and valleys in overall zombie numbers would seem much more natural, but so long as they focus on a single metropolitan area of a single city, I feel they do need to make up there minds about this.

Other than that, I'm looking for a HELLUVA GOOD EXPLANATION for why this ONE doctor is all by himself in the CDC, because right now I can't imagine how an apocalyptic scenario that took something like a hundred days to play out, that occurred slowly enough for the military to settle into defensive positions in numerous places and have time to get overwhelmed would ALSO somehow be quick enough/total enough to prevent the collection of and transport to the CDC of the personnel named in the Wildfire Protocol.

Anyone who's seen any version of the Andromeda strain has seen a good version of how fast the military can just scoop up personnel from all over the country and deposit them in one location. Was the zombie epidemic really so initially overwhelming as to prevent such?

Thus my desire for the good explanation of where his colleagues or should-have-been-colleagues are located.

bassman
05-Dec-2010, 01:08 PM
Wyld....do you have like a Cliffs Notes book or condensed version to go along with your posts? :lol:

EDIT
Okay, now that i've read your novel I can comment. :p

The guy was lonely, but that doesn't mean he's going to immediately open the doors with a warm invitation to the first people to come knocking. There are lots of things to consider. His safety, for one. Contamination of the facility. Protocol. Etc. That was the whole point of the scene. He wasn't hesitating because he DIDN'T want company...

As for the zombies....Atlanta's a big city, guys. There are concrete jungle areas.....then you drive five minutes down the road and there's nothing. And the CDC isn't in Downtown Atlanta. It's actually on the edge of the city. So where the CDC lies, it's perfectly acceptable that the zombies had swarmed the place and then moved on after all the activity died(maybe even going toward the sound of Rick and Glenn in episodes one and two? Then just sticking around the city). They actually showed that it wasn't in the main city with the buildings in the background and trees surrounding the CDC. Which, btw, wasn't the real exterior of the CDC...

Gemini
05-Dec-2010, 02:23 PM
Great post by Wyldwraith above me. Agree with everything. The holes he points out has severely weakened the enitre series IMO.

Nice rebuttal by bassman, but if the holes Wyldwraith points out had been filled in it would have been a much better episode, simple as that.

Like I said before, the menace has to be convincing otherwise the whole show falls on its face.

Hoping for a recovery in the season finale, but not getting my hopes up.

Wyldwraith
05-Dec-2010, 03:06 PM
@Gemini: Thanks for the good word compadre. Been feeling a little on the pariah-side of late.
@Bassman: I accept and concede your rebuttal concerning the CDC doc's behavior as PLAUSIBLE. Still not necessarily the best way they could've done it, but definitely one way a person could react, for the motives you ascribed.

As for the relative zombie population being thin due to the CDC being on the city outskirts, or the zombies drawn away to elsewhere. Uh uh, this bucket doesn't hold zombie gore for me, because Rick was on the outskirts of the city during the horseback scene, and the FIRST four-way intersection he came to was PACKED with zombies, AND the above-view we got at end of-episode showed them pouring in from ALL directions. If the zombies are dense here, and not dense over there, then that above view shoulda shown tons of zombies coming down, say, 2 of the four streets, SOME zombies down the third street, and VERY FEW zombies down the fourth (for example.)

That shot pretty conclusively demonstrated that the zombies are ALL OVER THE PLACE in Atlanta's outskirts. Which (to me) implied it was even worse further into the city.

Finally, nearly deserted area or not, Rick on a horse had more zombies than the ENTIRE GROUP drew upon IMMEDIATELY entering the city outskirts.
At the CDC? 2, MAYBE 3? That's WTH-worthy.

Like I said, it's not a HUGE deal...it's just something that in a series of this overall high-caliber, I'd like to see more consistency in. Besides, even if we accept the notion that some parts of the city of Atlanta are wall-to-wall zombie while other parts are totally deserted, it doesn't change the FEEL of some scenes having X percentage of zombies present simply because that was convenient in regards to what the characters were doing. Ie: When holed up in a Dept. Store, Dawn '04/Day swarms. When searching for Merle, scattered and far fewer, when going to the CDC, next to none.

I mean they wouldn't have had to change ANYTHING about the end of the 5th episode to make it look better. 10 more extras in ratty clothing doing the zombie walk in their direction. It's an atmosphere/ambiance thing. It would've (IMO) lent more strength to the drama of the group's words and their plight at the CDC doors. It just didn't FEEL as imminently desperate as Rick's near-breakdown was suggesting. They had guns and significant amounts of ammo. They can blast their way past a couple dozen zombies no prob if they must...so seeing 2-3 didn't FEEL like the doctor not opening the doors was = to "killing them" in an immediate sense, which Rick's tone and body language seemed to most vividly depict. In a protracted sense, absolutely.

I dunno, guess I just think because they do such a great job with their "horde scenes" they coulda spared a "mini-horde" for the end of the next to last episode of the season. This was supposed to be setting up the season finale after all, and I wanted to feel like once they actually traveled to the CDC they were committed to that or real quick death. Instead, it simply felt like one of a few alternative ways the scene could've gone when the doc finally opened up.

bassman
05-Dec-2010, 03:28 PM
Fair enough. I see where you're coming from and I can agree on a certain level. It doesn't bother me that there werent too many outside of the CDC, but it wouldn't have hurt to toss in a few more.

One thing I want to point out though.....Rick was in the thick of the city when he gets taken off the horse. He wasn't on the outskirts. He made it all the way into the city before he saw the zombies in the bus/around the corner.

Gemini
05-Dec-2010, 05:06 PM
On the other hand, had there been a swarm of zombies we would be complaining about how dumb it would be for CDC to open its doors, considering its surveillance capability. Some far-off Day-like moans of a dead city would have been sweet though.

The bigger problem for me was the lone scientist. Hoping for a plausible explanation.

Debbieangel
05-Dec-2010, 07:38 PM
I got the impression in that scene outside the doors of the CDC was Rick and company, the noise they were making was attracting the zombies. so more were coming at them off screen. Remember they were shooting as Rick was shouting at the Scientist, I thought they were shooting at zombies off camera which gave the illusion of zombies all around. imo it was a GREAT scene which kept me at the edge of my seat.
I do like the "implied" concept of the scene, I thought any second zombies were gonna crash in all around them, but, that is my opinion. I don't over analyze I just enjoy the show. I know I know we love picking at things zombie and I am as bad as everyone else. But I am just sitting back in enjoying having a cool zombie series on TV. Really can we ask for anything more it's like having an early weekly Christmas present and that is so cool!!!

Gemini
05-Dec-2010, 08:27 PM
well said debbie. We're DAMN lucky to even have this series!

JonOfTheShred
05-Dec-2010, 08:50 PM
So someone definitely told this DR to 'act kinda like Jeff Goldblum.'

Trin
09-Dec-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm very so-so on Ep 5. The plausibility issues are stacking up and the plot contrivances are getting thick.

Don't let Andrea cling to her dead sister half the episode no matter how great an emotional scene it sets up. Not while the fellow survivors are second guessing their precautions. It undermines our faith in their common sense. They could set up an equally emotional scene, without sacrificing plausibility, and while adding internal conflict to the group, by forcing Andrea to let them restrain the dead body, thus later causing them to deal with it once reanimated and helpless and seemingly struggling to reach her beloved sister.

I'm tired of Shane. They're jerking us around with his character and with the foreshadowing of the conflicts to come with Rick. The jarring shifts between evil sinister badguy and pragmatic survivalist leader are just tiresome.

The Jim thing was fine, but they milked it a tad hard. It ate up a lot of screen time and was used to justify going to the CDC, which I see as plot contrivance. Don't get me wrong, I think going to check out the CDC is a fine idea. But not on a whim with the expectation that they're open for business handing out cures. That's insane.

Once Jim is out of the picture, the way it played out was just intolerably stupid. There is utterly no excuse for them to show up at the CDC front doors at dusk low on food, low on gas, and desperate for help. Yes, it setup Rick's empassioned plea for help. That's plot contrivance.

They either needed to:
(A) ignore Jim's desires and press on to the CDC with him in agony, which would have justified their desperation
or
(B) re-evaluated after leaving Jim behind, showing some planning and deliberation as they moved about

Unlike most everyone else, I did not mind the cutover to the CDC scenes. I agree they've got some explaining to do for how he's the ONLY one left. But I enjoyed the insider take on the plague. I'm interested to see if we get more backstory out of that plot thread.

On the plus side I really like Daryl and I really like Dale. Two great characters who are getting better every week. I loved the look on Daryl's face during the head smashing by the wife. And Dale's exposition about Jim where he states to Rick, "When you shut me down..." was very good. Rick needed a little bit of that. I wish they'd done more with Glenn since he kinda sat this episode out.

I also liked the visuals outside the CDC. They did a good job depicting a site that had undergone significant chaos. I'm okay with few or no zombies in the area since we've established the zombies are all but dormant during the day.

I still haven't watched the finale.