PDA

View Full Version : DARABONT just axed the entire writing staff for TWD

DjfunkmasterG
01-Dec-2010, 03:42 AM
http://www.collider.com/2010/11/30/frank-darabont-the-walking-dead-fires-writers/

Doc
01-Dec-2010, 04:12 AM
Yeah, found this too. Isn't this common in season to season shows though?

Scratch that the article answered my question.

Wyldwraith
01-Dec-2010, 06:26 AM
Not a terribly good sign,
And that's added to the growing list of bad signs. Which also included that even Season 2 has a short episode-count run at 13, when 18-20 is considered minimum-normal for many major shows. Added to the absolutely MORONIC decision to delay until NEXT HALLOWEEN before rolling out Season 2....

Not saying anything definite. Just...when this many stormclouds begin to move in overhead, one generally gets caught in the downpour.

kidgloves
01-Dec-2010, 06:39 AM
13 episodes is normal for AMC.
Maybe it's something to do with Kirkmans philosophy of giving unknown writers a chance. Some of the dialogue was terrible though and is one of the few annoyances I have with the show.

Doc
01-Dec-2010, 07:29 AM
^^^^^^

Yeah, cable usually gets a 13-episode season while the networks typically do the 22-24.

clanglee
01-Dec-2010, 08:37 AM
Yeah. . .I don't really see this as a big deal. Don't Panic. :)

acealive1
01-Dec-2010, 10:09 AM
so wheres the peopel who were saying "george who?" 5 weeks ago? darabont just killed the series........

MinionZombie
01-Dec-2010, 10:12 AM
Yeah, this isn't a big deal to me. Besides, the 'freelance writers' model is often employed here in the UK on our shows. Sure, just like anything you'll get good and bad episodes, so hopefully the quality from episode-to-episode would be good ... because, for instance, with something like Torchwood or Doctor Who, some episodes are great, while some episodes are shockingly shit. Hopefully we don't get that with TWD Season 2.

And 13 episodes is entirely normal for a channel like AMC - shows like Dexter run for 12 episodes a season, and here in the UK we get a variety of lengths, but the likes of Doctor Who are usually 12 or 13 episodes with a Christmas Special bunged in at the end of the year.

They say the decision isn't final, so perhaps they'll have one or two 'staff writers' to help keep the continuity between episodes and provide a general 'over all arc' - which is what the head writers of Doctor Who etc do ... so maybe Darabont would fulfill that role, who knows.

Perhaps the people who won't be returning for Season 2 were, in a way, 'temps' or people who were specifically not in it for the long haul. Also, perhaps this proposed new way of writing the show would make it more cinematic, with each episode being written less like a TV series and more like a mini-movie ... albeit with an overall story spanning the season. It wouldn't be like Doctor Who, which has a common theme cropping up from time-to-time, but is for the most part at least, individual episodes. TWD isn't that kind of story, so perhaps we'll see a mixture of the two things.

Whatever though, I'm sure Darabont will be doing what's best for the show. It won't be some silly idea or some spiteful vengence or anything like that, it'll be for the betterment for the show I'm sure.

Regarding dialogue - I've found that, most of the time, the dialogue has been good in the show. It was in the comics that I found the dialogue to be a very mixed bag. It has improved with each new trade paperback I've read (I've done the first four now), but particularly in the first couple of trade paperbacks (issues 1 through 12), some of the dialogue was, frankly, piss poor - bloated with exposition that nobody would really say in real life. That was and is my biggest problem with TWD - the dialogue. Sometimes it's good, but on several occasions I've not been impressed with how some of the dialogue has been handled in the TWD books - as I've said, too much exposition where it doesn't fit, and sometimes generally just too wordy.

However, as I like to end on a positive note, I've seen the dialogue improve over the trade paperbacks that I've so far read, and there have been some genuinely terrific moments (such as in volumes 3 and 4) - so clearly the more Kirkman did, the better his dialogue got, so I'll be expecting to see the dialogue continue to improve and evolve as I continue to read the subsequent volumes.

Dialogue is always a tricky thing though. It's surprisingly hard to translate the words that would actually fall out of your mouth in a given situation, onto the page. What's in your brain, and what come out of your mouth are two different things - and when you're speaking you only get to say things once. When you're writing you can do multiple drafts - and in terms of bloated and ill-fitting exposition, that's an easy trap to fall into. I've fallen into it myself in the past, and still do from time-to-time - but I always force myself to thin the dialogue down and make it subtler in terms of explaining a given situation. Even stuff I've written from a couple of years ago I now look back on and just now think "no, no, no" as my writing has evolved with each new thing I write - but that's a good thing.

Considering that Kirkman wrote episode four, you could really see the evolution of his dialogue from Volume 1 of the comic from years ago, to this most recent work on the TV adaptation.

clanglee
01-Dec-2010, 10:37 AM
darabont just killed the series........ That's a pretty strong overreaction man. Like the Good Book says. . . .Don't Panic :)

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 12:17 PM
Like stated before....no big deal. At least wait until we get more information before we start pulling our hair out and making statements like "...killed the series..".

There could be any number of reasons why they let these writers go. Perhaps one of them is that they're moving ahead quickly with Season Two and most of those writers have since attached themselves to other jobs? Perhaps Darabont and Kirkman want to handle the bulk of the work? Perhaps freelance? There could be a million different reasons. None of which bother me...

After the enormous success of the first season, they're not going to let this go down the tubes. They'll throw Darabont and Kirkman whatever they want in order to keep the quality up...

EDIT:

And that's added to the growing list of bad signs. Which also included that even Season 2 has a short episode-count run at 13, when 18-20 is considered minimum-normal for many major shows. Added to the absolutely MORONIC decision to delay until NEXT HALLOWEEN before rolling out Season 2....

AMC's seasons are generally around 13 episodes and just about every series on every other network are about a year apart. TWD Season One premiered on Halloween 2010, Season Two will most likely premiere Halloween 2011. That sounds like the norm, to me...

Thorn
01-Dec-2010, 01:43 PM
This is not a bad thing really, I like the show so far, but some points annoy me. He has a hit on his hands and maybe he is going to allow more established or known writers to helm the project? Or maybe he has seen some work fro ma few little or unknown writers that "speaks to him".

Change is not a bad thing if done for the right reasons.

DEAD BEAT
01-Dec-2010, 03:38 PM
http://www.collider.com/2010/11/30/frank-darabont-the-walking-dead-fires-writers/

What a fuckin' tool.....just like a prick to gain some success and think the people who helped him had nothing to do with it!

Very touchy subject for me so that's all i'll say about this one!

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 03:55 PM
Some of you guys are REALLY taking this too hard. This doesn't mean Darabont is a "tool" or he's ruining the series or anything like that. We literally have no idea why they did this other than speculation. Or if Darabont even has anything to do with it. Chill....i'm sure everything will be fine...

BillyRay
01-Dec-2010, 04:15 PM
"Why I'm leaving Frank Darabont..."

"Frank Darabont should just retire..."

"Frank Darabont raped my childhood..."

There. Got those out of the way...

MikePizzoff
01-Dec-2010, 04:15 PM
Not a terribly good sign.

darabont just killed the series........

What are you guys talking about? Have you never read the books? The writing for the show hasn't been up to par with the books and has actually been god awful at points. This decision is a step in the RIGHT direction.

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 04:28 PM
"Frank Darabont is a hack! He's never made ANYTHING worth viewing!"

:shifty:

Wyldwraith
01-Dec-2010, 04:36 PM
One thing I dont like,
This show lives or dies on the characterization. It just does, that simple. If you ever stop caring what happens to the characters, game over. That said, freelance writers worry me because TWD is ALSO very continuity-centric, with each episode building on the events of the last. I worry that with less staff and more freelance writers, that continuity and the nuanced development of characterizations COULD suffer. Don't know the future, and certainly HOPING Darabont has something in mind to combat that.

I mean, whoever made the Doctor Who analogies brushed up against a good point. If you look at say, the "Bad Wolf" overarching story arc, and a lot else that was going on in the show at that time, the continuity was tight as a drum and the characters were really consistent. By the time you get to Martha hooking up with the Doctor, and then Sarah Jane/Donna popping in an out again, you get slammed with some REALLY AWFUL characterization, cliched plot devices, unimaginative re-use of previous villains (Who else was SICK TO DEATH of all the Slythein (sp?) (The bloated green aliens who kept wanting to sell Earth and zipped themselves inside Human Suits.) I tangibly winced every time the camera flicked to one of those "villains", because I knew I was about to get assaulted by dialog written on the schoolyard level.

Pardon for meandering there, but what I'm getting at is when you begin mixing in generous proportions of freelancers, you by definition create a greater burden to keep the continuity tight and the feel of the characters "right". After all, different people write, well, DIFFERENTLY. So it can be really jarring if there's this major interpersonal drama/conflict going on between two or more members of the survivor group, and all of a sudden things go off at a ninety-degree angle because the now-active writer has a different take on the present/ongoing scene than the writer who crafted the first portion of the character conflict.

I write a lot of collaborative fiction. One of which thats been going for a LONG TIME now is a Marvel Zombies-based story I've been writing for in conjunction with anywhere from the five people we began with writing for the main character they crafted and primarily write for, down to 3 core people, back up to 4, down to 2, back to 3 people etc. What I've learned from this ongoing experience is that its IMPOSSIBLE to capture the feel of what someone else was doing. You do your best to craft a complimentary and compatible completion to the portion of the plot they began, but there's a noticeable line of demarcation, like where the thread-line is separating one square of cloth on a quilt from the next.

I guess that's pretty much the core of my concern. Now, if Darabont and/or Kirkman want to engage in extensive oversight personally, or hire someone specifically to smooth over such transitions between writers and make the change from one writer to the next writing for the same character as seamless as possible while also ensuring the continuity flows naturally and doesn't skip and stutter like a scratched CD, I have faith they're certainly CAPABLE of managing such a challenge.

It simply remains to be seen if they will give this issue the appropriate amount of vigilance and constant attention required to combat the trend of working with different writers in rapid succession. With a 13-episode run, they really dont have much room to falter for an episode or two each time a major corner is turned in the story.

Will have to wait and see, but I don't think my concern and lack of coverall faith as to how quickly and competently they'll manage this issue is entirely unjustified here. Like everyone else, I'm rooting for TWD like mad! Hell, it's the ONLY show I've been tuning in raptly week after week to watch. Even so far as the only show I feel any genuine attachment to. The rest of the TV lineup is, in view of my tastes, an absolute barren WASTELAND of insipid cookie-cutter dramas...melodramatic and formulaic pseudo-reality TV shows with the most tedious of subject matter as its substance. (Nation's best dog groomer, REALLY?!?!) Or how about Fat Camp TV, aka The Biggest Loser? (Aptly named, because a) Those folks are some of the biggest losers I've seen from even brief channel-surfing glimpses of show, and b) The quality of the show itself).

ALL the other shows I used to watch regularly are gone now, and nothing worthwhile took their place. In place of Stargate: SG-1/Atlantis we get the very ho-hum Stargate: Universe that's more like Lost on a big breaking-down spaceship than its predecessors. House was about the only Medical Drama I liked, but the last 2-3 seasons have been so painfully melodramatic, with such blatant ratings-whoring by constantly throwing future plot credibility under the bus in an attempt at cheap titillation of the fans. The list goes on and on, and on and on. I spend all my time on the computer or scouring old and a few new-ish movies for something to watch when back pain wont allow me to sit at the computer.

All that said, I hope its now self-explanatory that, despite some of the negative analyzing I've done, I AM a huge fan of this TWD show. I want it to succeed, and I want it to run for 10+ seasons. However, I was back in the day also a fan of Vampire: The Masquerade, and got very excited when Kindred: The Embraced first aired. At first it was like a Vampire: The Masquerade fan's dream come true, but within maybe half a dozen episodes it became obvious that what continuity did exist was painfully and poorly maintained, and the characters ended up as two-dimensional caricatures. No amount of fanboyishness could preserve my love for the show, despite my conceptual love affair with the roleplaying game and novel/novella world-setting it was based on and embodied by.

I don't want TWD to become another Kindred: The Embraced epic fail, that's all.

darth los
01-Dec-2010, 04:38 PM
Added to the absolutely MORONIC decision to delay until NEXT HALLOWEEN before rolling out Season 2....

Thank you!!!!

I been saying that for a while now. Next Halloween is just too long.

Yes, regular networks normally air around 20 episodes for a season but it takes the whole year. If you're on cable and only doing 13 then it almost HAS to be a bi annual thing.

You gotta strike while the iron is hot. In this instant gratification/ ADHD world we live in things get played out pretty quickly. To leave your product out of the spotlight for that long is a dangerous strategy me thinks.

:cool:

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 04:46 PM
You gotta strike while the iron is hot. In this instant gratification/ ADHD world we live in things get played out pretty quickly. To leave your product out of the spotlight for that long is a dangerous strategy me thinks.

Halloween is perfect for this. I see what you're getting at with the iron being hot and all, but with AMC's 15(?) or so year run of FEAR FEST, this show has an obvious kick off each year that will bring it right back on top. After all....it was October and FEAR FEST that built up the premiere this season and it worked phenomenally. Not to mention they re-run the first six episodes leading up to the premiere and badda bing. Right back where they were.

Other shows don't have this luxury. TWD basically has it's own holiday...

AcesandEights
01-Dec-2010, 04:57 PM
http://eatdrinkdatelaughpray.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/jump-2-conclusions-mat.jpg

/brevity

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 04:59 PM
http://douglasernstylp.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/office_space.jpg

DEAD BEAT
01-Dec-2010, 05:06 PM
Thank you!!!!

I been saying that for a while now. Next Halloween is just too long.

Yes, regular networks normally air around 20 episodes for a season but it takes the whole year. If you're on cable and only doing 13 then it almost HAS to be a bi annual thing.

you shittin' me? next Halloween!

You probably hit it on the head dude, by next Halloween people are gonna think its a whole new series! lol

Darabont probaly isn't worried...judging by the shitty zombie flicks being put out lately i doubt he's worried about us not waiting for the new season!

AcesandEights
01-Dec-2010, 05:06 PM
:lol: Exactly, Bass. I did a search for fanboy + panic, but couldn't get anything worthwhile.

It is cool that people are so passionate about the show they really hawk this sort of stuff, but--as you and others have stated already--no big deal, really.

Obviously, we will all hope they suitably vet/screen their new writers before giving them the go-ahead, especially with such a potentially valuable (i.e. highly rated/touted) program.

ProfessorChaos
01-Dec-2010, 05:14 PM
the title of this thread reminded me of this:

http://www.pinellascountyfloridacriminallawyerblog.com/axe.gif

she kinda reminds me of some the the people here, for some reason.

and i have total faith in AMC, darabont, kirkman, nicotero, and TWD.

LouCipherr
01-Dec-2010, 05:18 PM
Well, the only thing I will say is this: Darabont has never steered me wrong, so I see this as a non-issue.

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 05:18 PM
:lol:

"Fuck you writers, I made Shawshank!!!"

http://i51.tinypic.com/2nal1m8.gif

http://imgur.com/dBllp.gif

I wanted to use one from ep 5, but decided against it for spoilers...

Axes get a lot of use in this series...

Legion2213
01-Dec-2010, 05:19 PM
I think we will see if this is a good idea or not after we've actually watched a few episodes of season 2. No?

Oh, and Billy Ray...you are a baaad person. :D

My only real concern is the gap between season 1 and 2, I know we shouldn't really be worried about people with the attention span of a goldfish, but the more people regularly watching this the more chance we have of a glorious 5-10 year run.

That said, if you are going to come back to a series 3 months later, there is no reason you wouldn't come back to it 12 months later IMO. You either enjoy watching it and will return, or you didn't enjoy it and probably would have ditched it anyway.

darth los
01-Dec-2010, 05:27 PM
Halloween is perfect for this. I see what you're getting at with the iron being hot and all, but with AMC's 15(?) or so year run of FEAR FEST, this show has an obvious kick off each year that will bring it right back on top. After all....it was October and FEAR FEST that built up the premiere this season and it worked phenomenally. Not to mention they re-run the first six episodes leading up to the premiere and badda bing. Right back where they were.

Other shows don't have this luxury. TWD basically has it's own holiday...

So how are we to celebrate this "TWD" day you speak of mortal?

Shall we joust and drink mead?

Legion2213
01-Dec-2010, 05:31 PM
We could mutilate the recently deceased...just in case...ya know? :)

darth los
01-Dec-2010, 05:57 PM
We could mutilate the recently deceased...just in case...ya know? :)

The dead must be spiked !

Sammich
01-Dec-2010, 07:43 PM
Darabont fired them all to make sure the story goes in the direction HE WANTS. It is all about making money through advertisers who sell to the target demographic audience. 18-24 year old males is most likely what they are going for. This means dumb down the plot, more action, more younger "cool" characters (i.e. gangstas and sunglasses wearing "cute" guys") and more screaming airhead chicks. IMO next Kirkman will be told his services are no longer needed and TWD will start looking less like the comic book and more like ROTLD 4 and DOTD 08.

BillyRay
01-Dec-2010, 08:02 PM
Wow, dude...who slipped the Flouride into your water? :duh:

AcesandEights
01-Dec-2010, 08:04 PM
I'll have to drag the Jump to Conclusions mat out again. :)

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 08:05 PM
This show really tends to bring out the crazy folks, doesn't it?

MikePizzoff
01-Dec-2010, 08:42 PM
Darabont fired them all to make sure the story goes in the direction HE WANTS. It is all about making money through advertisers who sell to the target demographic audience. 18-24 year old males is most likely what they are going for. This means dumb down the plot, more action, more younger "cool" characters (i.e. gangstas and sunglasses wearing "cute" guys") and more screaming airhead chicks. IMO next Kirkman will be told his services are no longer needed and TWD will start looking less like the comic book and more like ROTLD 4 and DOTD 08.

:confused:
Either I didn't pick up on the sarcasm in this post or you have no idea who Frank Darabont is and what his track record entails.

thxleo
01-Dec-2010, 08:43 PM

Is this post a joke or is it real? I know when I look at Frank Darabont's track record I see all of those items mentioned above(i.e. young cool characters, more action, dumbed down plots). :rolleyes:
Did something get into the water supply or what? Some of the posts on here lately are unbelievably stupid.

kidgloves
01-Dec-2010, 09:09 PM
I get the impression Darabont wasnt happy with the direction the show was taking. It says somewhere in the original article that he rewrote most of the episodes so that points to the writers not "getting" TWD. I see all this as a good thing. If anything, I was more worried about his lack of future involvement in the series. This way he's got his hands all over it. I'm assuming he didn't fire the writers, he probably just didn't renew their involvement. Happens all the time.

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 09:31 PM
I think AMC should fire everyone off and hire Uwe Boll and Zack Snyder to handle the rest of the series. But that's just me...

clanglee
01-Dec-2010, 09:42 PM
I think AMC should fire everyone off and hire Uwe Boll and Zack Snyder to handle the rest of the series. But that's just me...http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/uploads/8558/300movie_story1.jpgThis Is Atlanta!!!!!

acealive1
02-Dec-2010, 01:25 AM
http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/22561

looks like some are in the minority. people are pretty much fuming over darabont's decision.

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 01:34 AM
Some like to jump to conclusions over something they, like everyone else outside of AMC's circles, know nothing about. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's just typical internet fanboy freakouts.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Dec-2010, 02:57 AM
so wheres the peopel who were saying "george who?" 5 weeks ago? darabont just killed the series........

I am right here... and Episode #1 has outshined all of Romeros newer stuff

zomtom
02-Dec-2010, 06:23 AM
Darabont seems to know what he's doing. I'm confident he'll do what's best for the show. Now, if you told me he was leaving; I would be in a panic.

Ghoulman
02-Dec-2010, 10:07 AM

Is that AMC's track record with their other award-winning original programming? Caving-in to the ACTION, ACTION, ACTION, attention-span-of-lint dummies doesn't seem to be the route they take. Why would they start now?

MinionZombie
02-Dec-2010, 10:31 AM
Some like to jump to conclusions over something they, like everyone else outside of AMC's circles, know nothing about. As mentioned earlier in this thread, it's just typical internet fanboy freakouts.

I've been surprised by some of the sheer fanboy rage over this announcement, especially when so little is known ... I mean goddamn people, take a fucking chill pill. :eek:

Shawshank = awesome
Green Mile = awesome
The Mist = awesome

'Nuff said.

I've kind of sensed in this first season, or rather the four episodes I have so far seen, that there is an element of 'finding the show' over the course of the episodes, and quite frankly, if Darabont had to re-write portions of the episodes coming in to make them fit (i.e. to make them the episodes that we've all (or most of us anyway) been so impressed with) the over all vibe of the season as-pictured, then the dude knows what he wants and he knows what he's doing.

It's bizarre how some people (across the internet) have suddenly said this man, who has been one of the four biggest driving forces (in addition to Kirkman, Hurd, and AMC) of this show - and been responsible for it's success and respect, is now "destroying the show" etc. Seriously ... who spiked the water supply? :confused::rockbrow::confused:

Thorn
02-Dec-2010, 12:53 PM
The good thing is that people are passionate about the show, the bad is the knee jerk fan boy reaction. The sky is in fact not falling, and they would not take a hit show, and fire everyone just to bring in people who were going to ruin that. Even if they were not passionate about the project I bet you they for a certain care about their cash cow.

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 01:26 PM
Shawshank = awesome
Green Mile = awesome
The Mist = awesome

Being the director of very popular films also has it's downside (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2syFddM30qo)...

"Seriously...paranoia. That's all I'm saying"

Still cracks me up...

Trin
02-Dec-2010, 01:37 PM
This news would definitely be more concerning if the writing had been the hallmark of the show up to this point. But it hasn't. I'd argue that they need an upgrade in the writing department to help let the other parts of the shows shine like they ought to.

So I'm in the "okay with, assume they know what they're doing, let's see how it goes" camp.

DEAD BEAT
02-Dec-2010, 03:29 PM
I knew it....just read on msn.com that Darabont intends to write the entire 2nd season of TWD himself!!

Like i said "FUCKIN' DIVA"...it ends by saying "will the show suffer?"

My opinion do wrong and you get what's coming to you....all ill say about that!

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 03:44 PM
I knew it....just read on msn.com that Darabont intends to write the entire 2nd season of TWD himself!!

For argument's sake, let's say he IS writing all of season two himself. That makes him a diva? You do realize that Darabont is the reason we have this show? Darabont is the guy that went to Kirkman with the idea of making it a series. Darabont is the guy that spent more than five years of his life trying to get it made. Darabont is the reason this show is a success.

So now he wants more creative control to be between Kirkman and himself, and you think that's wrong somehow?

Besides....the guy is no slouch in making films and tv series. Take a look at his filmography and you'll see what I mean. If he wants this to be his pet project, he sure as hell deserves it.

DEAD BEAT
02-Dec-2010, 04:14 PM
For argument's sake, let's say he IS writing all of season two himself. That makes him a diva? You do realize that Darabont is the reason we have this show? Darabont is the guy that went to Kirkman with the idea of making it a series. Darabont is the guy that spent more than five years of his life trying to get it made. Darabont is the reason this show is a success.

So now he wants more creative control to be between Kirkman and himself, and you think that's wrong somehow?

Besides....the guy is no slouch in making films and tv series. Take a look at his filmography and you'll see what I mean. If he wants this to be his pet project, he sure as hell deserves it.

I won't argue with the guys efforts but come on....this is the same scenerio bands go through!

A group of people struggling together to make it then the guy in front dumps his mates and goes off to make a shitty solo album, then comes crawling back with his tail between his legs!

Guess we will just have to wait and see what happens! ;)

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 04:26 PM
The band metaphor doesn't really work with this scenario. Studio musicians would be more appropriate. Darabont is the solo artist that gets it all done and these are just episodic studio musicians. They come and go, but are in no way attached. They're hired for a job and may or may not get a returning phone call...

MikePizzoff
02-Dec-2010, 04:28 PM

As Jason (bassman) said above, if it weren't for Frank Darabont we wouldn't have this show at all.

How do you figure he's being a diva by taking over writing duties for the show he kicked off to begin with? He saw what a mess the other writers were creating and could tell that the show would go downhill (episode 2, for instance).

Will the show suffer? Sure, it'll suffer for all of the series' fanboys that haven't ever read the comic. For fans of the comic, it'll be more like episode 1 (and The Mist!!!) and we'll all rejoice.

Also, just because he says he's going to be writing all of season 2 doesn't mean exactly what it looks like. More than likely, there will be a new crew of writers to come up with basic plot outlines (like what's done with Darabont's films), following that direction he'll then create the actual "meat" of each episode.

DEAD BEAT
02-Dec-2010, 04:41 PM
As Jason (bassman) said above, if it weren't for Frank Darabont we wouldn't have this show at all.

How do you figure he's being a diva by taking over writing duties for the show he kicked off to begin with? He saw what a mess the other writers were creating and could tell that the show would go downhill (episode 2, for instance).

Will the show suffer? Sure, it'll suffer for all of the series' fanboys that haven't ever read the comic. For fans of the comic, it'll be more like episode 1 (and The Mist!!!) and we'll all rejoice.

Also, just because he says he's going to be writing all of season 2 doesn't mean exactly what it looks like. More than likely, there will be a new crew of writers to come up with basic plot outlines (like what's done with Darabont's films), following that direction he'll then create the actual "meat" of each episode.

hey! your on a first name basis with Bassman? lol

Thought we wer pals Bass! lol

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 04:42 PM
There's a "Member's names" thread here, Dead. :lol:

And I know Mike's name too! It's Mike!

LouCipherr
02-Dec-2010, 04:56 PM
I think AMC should fire everyone off and hire Uwe Boll and Zack Snyder to handle the rest of the series. But that's just me...

Subtract one Boll, add two heaping spoonfuls of runners and I think you have a winner there bassman. :lol: :p

Seriously ... who spiked the water supply? :confused::rockbrow::confused:

I slipped some bacon grease in it. (Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone. :p)

As far as Darabont being a diva because of all this - that's laughable. Personally, I'd rather him be writing every episode instead of outside writers. His was the best of the series so far IMO and the guy has a golden track record with his films. Don't get me wrong, I've liked everything I've seen so far, but if Darabont took over writing for all of season 2, I see it as nothing but a step up and a step forward.

We'll see next season, won't we? Until then, I say lets just panic to the fullest extent possible and think of all the things that are going to go wrong. :shifty:

DEAD BEAT
02-Dec-2010, 06:48 PM
Subtract one Boll, add two heaping spoonfuls of runners and I think you have a winner there bassman. :lol: :p

I slipped some bacon grease in it. (Shhhhhhhh! Don't tell anyone. :p)

As far as Darabont being a diva because of all this - that's laughable. Personally, I'd rather him be writing every episode instead of outside writers. His was the best of the series so far IMO and the guy has a golden track record with his films. Don't get me wrong, I've liked everything I've seen so far, but if Darabont took over writing for all of season 2, I see it as nothing but a step up and a step forward.

We'll see next season, won't we? Until then, I say lets just panic to the fullest extent possible and think of all the things that are going to go wrong. :shifty:

or pissed in it! lol

BillyRay
02-Dec-2010, 07:02 PM
MinionZombie: Seriously ... who spiked the water supply?

LouCipherr: I slipped some bacon grease in it.

DEADBEAT:or pissed in it! lol

Either way, y'all are tainting my Precious Bodily Fluids...

http://www.miracosta.edu/home/gfloren/ripper_anim.gif

"Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake? Children's ice cream!...You know when fluoridation began?...1946. 1946, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual, and certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works. I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of love...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I-I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence."

LouCipherr
02-Dec-2010, 07:26 PM
or pissed in it! lol

I wasn't going to mention it, but now that it's been said..... :shifty:

darth los
02-Dec-2010, 08:01 PM

See bass?

NOW you're thinking!

I can see it now: 300 Dawns of the house of the dead, in 3D. :D

Muahahahahahahahahaha! :evil:

kortick
02-Dec-2010, 09:14 PM
Might not be a bad idea. Twin Peaks had a huge first season and was considered the best show on TV. Then David Lynch begun work on the movie, Wild at Heart and therefore couldn't devote time to writing/directing/overseeing the show. The second season suffered for this. By the time Lynch came back it was too late. If Lynch had stayed focused on TP it more than likely would have continued on being an excellent show. Maybe this move will save season 2 of TWD from suffering the same fate as Peaks, seeing the creator is being more involved with the new season.

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 09:19 PM
Kor....I didn't get a word of that. Something about humping, spanking, and Olivia Munn? :lol:

Doc
02-Dec-2010, 11:33 PM
What are you guys talking about? Have you never read the books? The writing for the show hasn't been up to par with the books and has actually been god awful at points. This decision is a step in the RIGHT direction.

Too be fair, the first 12 or so issues weren't so hot, but they did get better.

As, for the characters in the show. Honestly, I've found most of them uinteresting, and bland. Dale, Glen, and Daryl stand out of the rest though. Rick when a loner is pretty cool too. Though I still the development we get from the rest is rather forced especially, from the beginning scene with Andrea and Amy in episode 4. It's like, the writers were "shhh....pay attention audience this is important!", and did we really need to see about 5 minutes of Andrea grieving over Amy? Yeah, I know it was suppose to be more development for Andrea, but could have defiantly been handled better, and quicker. Not to mention we know very little about them that I found it alittle hard to really, really symathize. But maybe, this is all just me. :-/

Episode 1 is still the best of the bunch imo.

bassman
03-Dec-2010, 02:46 PM
Now we get some truth. From Kirkman Himself (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Walking-Dead-Writing-Staff-1026363.aspx).

"It's kind of unfortunate that it's being reported that our writing staff has been fired because that's not the case," Kirkman, who created the comic book series on which the AMC zombie drama is based, tells TVGuide.com. "It makes Frank look bad. I don't think Frank wants it out there that he's just firing people off of a successful show seemingly for no reason."

Kirkman says Eglee, whose previous credits include Dexter, Dark Angel and The Shield, chose to leave the show after Darabont decided to stay on as the showrunner for the The Walking Dead's second season.

"Chic Eglee is a high-level television writer. He was brought onto The Walking Dead with the idea that Frank was going to work on the first season and then go off and do movies," Kirkman says. "Chic didn't want to be second-in-command on a show when he's used to being a top dog, and so he decided to go off and do something else, which is something that happens and is not a big deal."

Kirkman says he's excited to continue working with Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) and credits him with creating a unique vision for the show. But it's too soon to tell what other writers the duo will work with in Season 2, Kirkman says.

"It's a little premature to be nailing down. I don't know if it's going to be a freelance situation or if we're going to have writers in a writers' room," he says. "That's something that's being worked on now.

As was suggested a few days ago. Just wait it out and the truth will be revealed...

I didn't know Darabont was only interested in the first season. Great to know he's coming back. :thumbsup:

Wyldwraith
03-Dec-2010, 03:23 PM
Much of this is beside the point,
People can SAY that a 10-11 month hiatus for the series simply means that those who're fans will be back, and those who lose interest would've fallen by the wayside anyways, but that reasoning doesn't necessarily hold water. What about all the viewers who aren't really zombie-movie fans, aren't hardcore about zombie movies/TV/comics/novels, and are simply looking for something enjoyable to watch? These folks do not NECESSARILY (they may, or they may not) have the same burning drive to see this show endure and continue to improve over a 10-season run. If a percentage of that portion of the viewing base doesn't return come next Fearfest, it's jumping to the same sort of conclusions people are criticizing to at this point declare "Meh, anyone who doesn't wait until next Fearfest to get re-immersed in the show wasn't going to remain a fan/viewer anyways."

10 months is a LONG time in Cable TV viewing. In that intervening span, there will CERTAINLY be other new shows emerging in the Sunday-at-10pm slot. If not on a first run, then as a two-hours-later encore of the new episode run at 6-8pm. Ruling out the possibility that one of these shows could very well induce potential TWD: Season 2 viewers to commit/make a habit of watching something else on Sunday at 10pm doesn't make sense, especially when one of the possible factors in AMC's decision to go the "Next Fearfest Route" is to make room for A DIFFERENT NEW SHOW. Ie: The Killing. Season 1 of TWD hasn't even concluded and the network already has a planned replacement for its time slot.

Here's a basic yet reasonable What If: What if The Killing (for example) develops a major following on Sundays at 10pm? Are all those individuals automatically going to redirect their viewing decisions to co-opt what (to them) has become The Killing's time-slot? How do we, or would we know if the unusually long downtime between TWD seasons costs the show some of the impressive momentum its accrued to date? Worse still, what if the "Next Fearfest Release" causes people to expect that at the end of EVERY TWD season there will be a 10-month-long gap until the new season airs? Isn't it reasonable/valid to wonder if, instead of next Fearfest being a great platform for TWD's return, a large percentage of those history-making 18-49 viewers won't be interested in essentially watching the show begin again to work from the ground up?

Of course the opposite view/possibility is equally valid at this juncture. My point was, and remains, that not all expressed concerns with a negative element are Chicken Little-ing. AMC *is* taking a chance with a 10-month interval. There IS something to be said for the "Strike when the Iron is hot" methodology, as Darth Los pointed out.

That's all.

bassman
03-Dec-2010, 03:30 PM
The Killing is not taking TWD's timeslot. All of AMC's shows play at 10pm on Sunday nights. They're just working each series to where there's always a new show. Never one taking over the other.

And have you guys ever watched a series from season-to-season? It's always a big interval between seasons. True, it would be great it AMC could "strike while it's hot", and I'm sure they would if they could, but it's just not that easy. They haven't even completed writing for Pete's sake. Maybe not even started. Then you've got to plan the budget from there, organize, set up schedules, etc, etc. It's not as easy as saying "Let's go to Atlanta, point the camera at some shit, and get it on the air QUICK!". Just like every other series, these things take time and planning.

It would be great to have it sooner and I'm sure they want it as soon as they can get it. But it's just not possible, fellas. This being the first big zombie series that we've always wanted doesn't change the fact that it's still just a tv series and it has to go through the same cycles as the rest of them....

DEAD BEAT
03-Dec-2010, 03:48 PM
See bass?

NOW you're thinking!

I can see it now: 300 Dawns of the house of the dead, in 3D. :D

Muahahahahahahahahaha! :evil:

lol did you just blow Bass a kiss! lmao

BillyRay
03-Dec-2010, 04:05 PM
. It's not as easy as saying "let's go to atlanta, point the camera at some shit, and get it on the air quick!". Just like every other series, these things take time and planning.

BUT I WANNIT NAAAOOOWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

http://webmomsonline.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/temper-tantrum.jpg

bassman
03-Dec-2010, 04:13 PM

Is it just me, or does that kid have unusually sharp teeth?

And just to further my point, look at AMC's Mad Men season start dates.

Season 1: July 19, 2007
Season 2: July 27, 2008
Season 3: August 16, 2009
Season 4: July 25, 2010

All of which were thirteen episodes. Just like season two of TWD. See a pattern forming here?

darth los
03-Dec-2010, 04:34 PM
lol did you just blow Bass a kiss! lmao

A kiss would be MUah !

The addition of the hahahahahahahahaha denotes a sinister chuckle.

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2010, 04:50 PM
Good to see official word from Kirkman himself - as I assumed, no biggie ... christ, the doomsaying didn't have take off quick, eh? :p

At least people are passionate about the show ... perhaps too passionate. :shifty: :D

Also, some shows are dragged out for so long that there's only a 3 month gap between one season ending and another beginning - like The Simpson's or Family Guy, which rack up something like 20-24 episodes a season typically ... however, that number of episodes doesn't last 9 months without endless fucking gaps within the season, which is the really bad thing to do to a show - you can't get any continuity with that bullshit.

So TWD's scheduling is entirely normal. Why is it even being considered an issue? I mean yeah, I want more now too, but we'll just have to wait - it's just like Christmas. :)

DEAD BEAT
03-Dec-2010, 05:12 PM

Is it just me, or does that kid have unusually sharp teeth?

And just to further my point, look at AMC's Mad Men season start dates.

Season 1: July 19, 2007
Season 2: July 27, 2008
Season 3: August 16, 2009
Season 4: July 25, 2010

All of which were thirteen episodes. Just like season two of TWD. See a pattern forming here?

I wish those chicken shits would've started TWD out with 13 episodes as well! :/

bassman
03-Dec-2010, 05:16 PM
I wish those chicken shits would've started TWD out with 13 episodes as well! :/

Dude...seriously?

Those "chicken shits" started TWD with more episodes than most TV series' get. Usually a pilot episode is ordered and then they judge from there whether or not they want a whole series. So basically we were lucky. Otherwise we'd still be waiting...

They took a tremendous leap of faith on Darabont and company. Jeesh....there's no pleasing some people. :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
03-Dec-2010, 05:53 PM
Considering there'd never been a zombie TV series before, and considering some of the content, ordering six episodes off-the-bat, and not doing a Pilot, is a considerable leap of faith.

Luckier still is that it found a strong audience.

ProfessorChaos
03-Dec-2010, 07:20 PM
i really don't see what all the fuss is about. like bass pointed out, mad men and breaking bad typically have 13 episode seasons (BB's 1st season only had 7 due to the writer's strike) with almost a year between season premiere airings.

TWD has been averaging 5 million viewers per episode, way up compared to the numbers BB and MM pull in. darabont is very talented, and having kirkman on board will ensure the integrity of his vision. while i agree that it sucks that we've gotta wait that long for a 2nd season, just be thankful we're getting one, and that they are keeping the big creative names attached, and they plan to do the series justice.

it's like some of the people on this board live for pissing and moaning about every minute aspect of this series...i really don't understand what their objective is, other than to make themselves sound like assholes...

Wyldwraith
03-Dec-2010, 07:43 PM
That's an easy one to answer,
EVERY damned time someone around here says ANYTHING with even the hint of negative to it, they get pounced on. It's Romero Defensiveness all over again. For God's Sake, some people are going to be irked by some things, while others will be concerned, and still others infuriated. We do have a couple syllables to describe that, and it isn't Ass-hole. Free Speech.

Yes, some people go hog-wild about every little thing. So the "Chicken Little" comments aren't without a certain amount of basis in fact around here. On the other hand, others, including myself, point out things which concern us, obviously demonstrating we CARE about this show, and we're just lumped in with the same Sky-is-falling rhetoric.

It's this kind of thing that acts as a roadblock to real dialog and leads to the flesh, muscle, and guts being beaten from the bones of the dead horse.

DEAD BEAT
03-Dec-2010, 07:55 PM
Dude...seriously?

Those "chicken shits" started TWD with more episodes than most TV series' get. Usually a pilot episode is ordered and then they judge from there whether or not they want a whole series. So basically we were lucky. Otherwise we'd still be waiting...

They took a tremendous leap of faith on Darabont and company. Jeesh....there's no pleasing some people. :rolleyes:

Bass, my man! Would you be happy with blue balls? lol

I may be a lil spoiled with this series but you really can't blame me, this is the 1st zombie "anything" that i've been jazzed about in a long time! since..."Vanilla Ice" was on the charts! lmao

bassman
03-Dec-2010, 08:28 PM
That's an easy one to answer,
EVERY damned time someone around here says ANYTHING with even the hint of negative to it, they get pounced on. It's Romero Defensiveness all over again. For God's Sake, some people are going to be irked by some things, while others will be concerned, and still others infuriated. We do have a couple syllables to describe that, and it isn't Ass-hole. Free Speech.

there's a difference between having something negative to say about the show and having something negative to say about the mechanics that go into creating it. You guys are getting in a tiff over silly and unreasonable things. I understand you enjoy this show and want a second season immediately, but you need to be reasonable and think of how these things generally work.

Be concerned, be irked, be defensive - about the show when it airs. Complaining about the second season and the time it takes to get it filmed is just silly. Do some homework before ranting about how they're ruining the series with the seasonal gap that EVERY SINGLE SHOW ON AMC also has. :rolleyes:

Legion2213
03-Dec-2010, 09:18 PM
Be thankfull you don't follow SGU, they have a several month break in the middle of the God damn season. :mad:

I think we got well spoiled with a six episode "pilot", most shows get 90 minutes and THEN you have to wait a year for the actual show to start proper.

Don't get me wrong, would love to hear that we'd be watching "season 2" within 2 or 3 months, but it's just not to be...I know this about season 2 though..."when they build it, we will come!" :cool:

Gryphon
03-Dec-2010, 09:23 PM
Be thankfull you don't follow SGU, they have a several month break in the middle of the God damn season. :mad:

This week's cliffhanger piss you off too, huh? :p

Mike70
04-Dec-2010, 02:57 PM
new interview with hurd casts some light on the writer situation. she also mentions that TWD probably won't return until Oct.

Hurd said the Walking Dead will probably return in October. “I think Frank and Robert [Kirkman, writer of the Walking Dead comic and an executive producer on the show] will sit down early next year, to begin mapping it out.” She also confirmed that “every one of the principal cast is signed up for multiple seasons.”

http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/12/03/walking-dead-darabont-hurd-writers/

MinionZombie
04-Dec-2010, 04:44 PM
Further confirmation that all the doomsaying was totally unnecessary. :D

Can't wait to see the finale! And here's hoping that the DVD/BR will have kick ass extra content too!

kidgloves
04-Dec-2010, 08:17 PM
Further confirmation that all the doomsaying was totally unnecessary. :D

Can't wait to see the finale! And here's hoping that the DVD/BR will have kick ass extra content too!

The option for B&W would be nice. After the SD Comicon looks like they may include it as well.

bassman
04-Dec-2010, 08:52 PM
The option for B&W would be nice. After the SD Comicon looks like they may include it as well.

Yeah, I seem to remember Darabont confirming that the B&W option will be on the dvd. I'm open to it, but it may not work as well as The Mist. The Mist was perfect for B&W, but i'm not so sure TWD will fit that mold as well. Time will tell...

Trencher
04-Dec-2010, 10:18 PM
I keep my judgment of this news until I know who wrote which episode. Delaying the show with a whole year will be much more damaging I think. And it smacks of executive intrigue to give their personal favorite shows a better chance to capture viewers.

Oh and the mist sucked hard! One of the worst movies I seen what a crappy ending! STUPID!

bassman
04-Dec-2010, 10:25 PM
Delaying the show with a whole year will be much more damaging I think. And it smacks of executive intrigue to give their personal favorite shows a better chance to capture viewers.

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/062010/1275389857_naked-gun-facepalm.gif

Trencher
04-Dec-2010, 10:36 PM
Do you even know what executive meddling is? Have you read the tv troupes article?

bassman
04-Dec-2010, 10:46 PM
Do you even know what executive meddling is? Have you read the tv troupes article?

No, I get it. You think they're delaying TWD's second season in an attempt to give the other shows a better chance or screw the fans over. As I've pointed out earlier in this thread(did you read it?), a year is the usual time gap between television seasons. Go ahead and google or wiki any of the recently popular television series' and you'll see what i mean.

Apparently zombie fans take their shit personally. "You don't have a second season ready to air immediately?!? It's corporate espionage! They're purposely trying to ruin their show that has one of the highest viewer ratings of all time!!" :rolleyes:

C'mon guys. Time to use that noggin for more than a hat rack...

Skold
05-Dec-2010, 05:51 AM
i just read the posts by Wildwraityh, Deadbeat and Trencher and pissed myself.

These guys must be trolling! lulz!

FACT: AMC has had 4 shows, and two have have made history in regards to winning Emmys. They all also have 13-episode seasons. Like other successful cable shows you may have heard of, like The Sopranos, True Blood, and Boardwalk Empire. lol @ 22 eps in a season!

FACT: AMC greenlit WD on good faith, hence the 6-ep first season. This has never happened before. Every other show you ever saw (ever!) had to submit a pilot episode.

FACT: Many successful 13-ep/year shows do not even have a "writers room". The best example is Doctor Who: show runner writers 5 or 6 eps, outlines the rest and hands it over to "guest" writers. Stephen Moffat wrote the four best Who episodes as a guest writer, and Neil Gaiman wrote episode three of the upcoming season. This arrangement has been very successful for BBC. It should not be an issue.

Sorry 'bout that. Carry on with your unfounded paranoid criticisms! :P

childofgilead
05-Dec-2010, 10:10 AM
Honestly, my concern about the season layout is the age of the children..it's relatively easy to hide adults aging, kids not so much.

Wyldwraith
05-Dec-2010, 11:06 AM
Let's not focus on Doctor Who,
That show ranges episode to episode from startling brilliance to unwatchable schoolyard-dialog-filled garbage. If that's truly the best example there is of freelance writing, I feel a sense of dread coming on.
And Trolling, you Skold? Accusing others of trolling? Pot, meet kettle.

If you want to remain willfully blind to the fact that, while there are indeed significant seasonal gaps, WHICH NO ONE CRITICIZED, it just DOESN'T take a YEAR to produce 13 episodes of just about anything. How do we know? Other networks do it in 7-8 month blocks by your own admission. My point was the focus being on Next Year's Fearfest, as if, even if it was/could be ready before then, that they insistently want to tie TWD to Fearfest. Especially when TWD = Great, but Last Few Fearfests = Repetitive Junk and worn-right-through/shown-on-tons-of-channels main horror franchises.

The way the articles presented it, the focus was definitively upon the linkage between TWD and Fearfest. I understand and concede it was a close-to-unprecedented move to go ahead with what amounts to a pilot miniseries (btw, 6 episodes of anything can easily simply be packages as a miniseries and forgotten about if it falls flat. So it's not the heroic corporate bravery or visionary leadership some are portraying it as). HOWEVER, why, when TWD has proven that it derived next to nothing from Fearfest (though probably did from Halloween itself), would it make sense to continue the linkage between the two?

Also, don't paint me in with the corporate espionage nonsense. I QUOTED the AMC article, saying one of the reasons the shows were being aired as such was to give the schedule "flexibility" and allow for the airing of AMC's new show, The Killing. If YOU Skold want to jump from that to corporate conspiracy be my guest, just do it without my name attached.

Frankly Skold, you come off like a fanboy. Not the best stance to adopt when one is trying to be seen as "the voice of reason."

Apparently you missed the simple expressions of concern, or my OWN criticism of the all-inclusive doomsaying. Or, including that simply would have been less fun than labeling me a troll and breaking out the cyber-tar-and-feathers.

Do it again and I'll get nasty.

bassman
05-Dec-2010, 01:05 PM
Wyld....while I agree that Fear Fest sucked last year, why would they NOT want to tie in TWD with the program? AMC is one of the few, maybe only, networks that has had a long-running horror marathon at the halloween season(formerly known as Monster Fest). This year was the thirteenth. Now they have a show set around horror and zombies.....but they shouldn't tie it in with that programming? Sorry dude....but I think you're letting the little fanboy inside get the best of your reason....

As I've stated before(as well as skold now).....the 13 episode season and the year long gap between them are normal parts of AMC and other networks. They're not out to ruin TWD, fellas. Next year we'll see the second season and everything will be fine. After all - Everyone came back for the multi-award winning Man Men, didn't they? And it's had a year gap EVERY year. Same with The X-Files, Lost, Heroes, and pretty much everything. A year is the standard....not a chance to stick it to us fanboys...

MinionZombie
05-Dec-2010, 06:24 PM
And also the thing is that certain shows have so many episodes, that the gap between the end of a season and the start of a new season is a matter of, usually, 3-4 months ... but that's because there's sodding loads of episodes dragged out over months.

However, a show like Dexter (12 episodes per season) comes along around September/October time and then finishes a week or two before Christmas - we then see no new season until the following Sept/Oct - so, a 9 month wait in other words.

Shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy (20-24 episodes per season) are dragged out - with multiple weeks off throughout the run, sometimes with 2, 3 or even 4 week stretches with no new episodes being shown at all - mid-season - over 9 months, however 24 episodes, if you had one every week, would last you 6 months ... so you get 3 months worth of gaps during a season on such shows, so in any given year you spend 6 months waiting for new episodes anyway (3 of which are between-seasons).

This vitriol over entirely normal scheduling practice - used on countless successful shows across all networks (including AMC themselves) - is nothing but baffling to me.

Premiering TWD during/on Halloween is the perfect marketting tool as well, it's the perfect season to begin such a show. If they pimped it out during the summer it'd be daft, like all those times studios insist on putting out a movie like RZ's "Halloween" during frickin' August, you know?

Plus - just in terms of creativity - you don't want to be rushing in immediately into writing new episodes, you need to decompress and let your mind digest what you've just finished working on for months-on-end already. Rushing something out isn't a good idea at all - indeed, it'd negatively affect quality.

As far as Doctor Who goes - the format of writing is successful, but the individual writers is the potential problem. Indeed the quality can vary widely throughout a series - however that's Doctor Who, and considering Darabont put his hand into each one of the six episodes of TWD: Season 1 to bring them up to a satisfying (to him, not just us) standard, then I severely doubt he'd allow some hack to turn in a duff episode mid-season. It just wouldn't happen. You can't gain total equilibrium with different writers across a season anyway, hell, you couldn't achieve that with one writer ... plus, Doctor Who is a new story every week (aside from the a two-parter at the middle-and-end-of-each-series), whereas TWD is an on-going story from episode-to-episode, so it's an entirely different structure in and of itself.

In short - *starts handing out chill pills, six packs, porno mags, and hefty joints full of weed* ;)

clanglee
05-Dec-2010, 09:56 PM
This vitriol over entirely normal scheduling practice - used on countless successful shows across all networks (including AMC themselves) - is nothing but baffling to me.

Exactly!!! Thankfully its just a small but vocal minority latching on to any news and turning it into an end of the world type scenario. http://www.asitecalledfred.com/comics101/images/2004/jul7/archive1.jpg

Trin
05-Dec-2010, 10:00 PM
My personal opinion is that AMC is hurting themselves by starting the season on Halloween. That's like starting the 12 days of Christmas on Christmas Day and counting up after all the holiday cheer is gone. I get excited for Halloween all through October, then I'm done celebrating Halloween the day after. They should capitalize on the ramp up during October, showing episodes leading up to Halloween, then hit us with the season ender Halloween night.

clanglee
05-Dec-2010, 10:08 PM
My personal opinion is that AMC is hurting themselves by starting the season on Halloween. That's like starting the 12 days of Christmas on Christmas Day and counting up after all the holiday cheer is gone. I get excited for Halloween all through October, then I'm done celebrating Halloween the day after. They should capitalize on the ramp up during October, showing episodes leading up to Halloween, then hit us with the season ender Halloween night.

I could get behind that. . or at the very least. . start the series at the beginning of October with the rest of the Fearfest. Make it a part of Fearfest.

bassman
05-Dec-2010, 10:09 PM
While I too wanted them to start the season earlier in October...it certainly didn't hurt a thing to start it on Halloween night. Highest rated opening and all....

clanglee
05-Dec-2010, 10:25 PM
While I too wanted them to start the season earlier in October...it certainly didn't hurt a thing to start it on Halloween night. Highest rated opening and all....

Yeah, but Halloween won't be on a Sunday this year will it? So why not start it at the beginning of FearFest and reap the rewards all month?

bassman
05-Dec-2010, 10:38 PM
Yeah, but Halloween won't be on a Sunday this year will it? So why not start it at the beginning of FearFest and reap the rewards all month?

I was referring more to this season and it "hurting" the series. But yeah....Halloween will be on a Monday in 2011. Nobody has said it will definitely be Halloween night, but it will most likely be near the end of the month of October. Year-long season gaps and all.

But that year long gap is a stab to all fans! AMC is TRYING to ruin this series!!11OMG!

Trencher
06-Dec-2010, 04:11 AM
Here are some links of what I mean. Warning reading that site might steal away a lot of time...
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ScrewedByTheNetwork
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ExecutiveMeddling/LiveActionTV

MinionZombie
06-Dec-2010, 01:31 PM

Can't argue with facts. :D

I can understand the argument for starting at the beginning of October - being that October is 'the month of Halloween' ... but the idea, surely, is to kick off a season with a big old bang - and the best way to maximise that potential bang is to premiere on Halloween itself. Clearly it worked this season, with great ratings continuing throughout the season - and what's more, as Hurd wasy saying, that cover story in EW certainly helped them even further - and that was episode five. Perhaps that might work against the argument I'm making for starting on Halloween, but it also shows that interest will remain - and even pick up during - a season.

Exactly!!! Thankfully its just a small but vocal minority latching on to any news and turning it into an end of the world type scenario. http://www.asitecalledfred.com/comics101/images/2004/jul7/archive1.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

Wyldwraith
06-Dec-2010, 01:56 PM
AGAIN,
I *continue* focusing on Fearfest, NOT the date/timing. Why? Because, recent assertions aside, Fearfest has not only sucked last year, its sucked for AT LEAST 3 years and was merely "Meh" for awhile before it degraded to awful. If Fearfest was still even at the "Meh" level, maybe TWD + Fearfest would make sense.

People can stop repeating themselves like broken records about normal scheduling seasons. This isn't about the practices of regular seasonal runs. It's about linking a great show to an absolutely awful string of the same movies they've shown for years in a row. They don't even seem to TRY to update Fearfest anymore. Instead I can predict next year's lineup right now:

Halloween 1-5 (probably with that piece of crap Season of the Witch again), Friday the 13th, Pt. 2, 4, 5 & 6, and either Jason X or Jason Goes to Hell. House on Haunted Hill and 13 Ghosts, guaranteed. Repeat each movie 3-4x each, with 3-4 repeats of each Halloween movie individually. Taking bets against?

Know what, lets just let the entire matter drop. We get it. Everything is perfect and wonderful, and each/every detail and decision related to Darabont/Kirkman is the absolute peak of human brilliance. You win. Hurray for your side. /Facetiousness off

Note: I have no problem with the classic slasher franchises. In fact, I like to watch one here, one there. However, there have been TONS of good horror movies, and I'm not talking about things still on DVD. Older movies, that don't get a lot of TV time anymore. Creepshow 1 & 2, Near Dark, The Howling/American Werewolf in London (or even Paris). Hell, Little Shop of Horrors or Attack of the Killer Tomatoes would be preferable to recent Fearfest offerings.

Trin
06-Dec-2010, 02:02 PM
Just to be clear, I don't think timing will kill it. We can wait decades for a new Star Wars movie or a new GAR Dead movie and not lose interest. Star Trek kept a fan base over huge gaps of time. Yeah, those aren't mediocre zombie series trying to gain a foothold in more moderate markets, sure. But a year is a short time to hold interest.

Quality issues are more likely to be a killer than a few months of waiting. If it's great people will get excited. If it's mediocre or lackluster then it will be more easily forgotten.

bassman
06-Dec-2010, 02:15 PM
Because, recent assertions aside, Fearfest has not only sucked last year, its sucked for AT LEAST 3 years and was merely "Meh" for awhile before it degraded to awful. If Fearfest was still even at the "Meh" level, maybe TWD + Fearfest would make sense.

I disagree. The lineup for Fear Fest 2010 was poor, but the years before it were spectacular.

I remember many greats from 2009's lineup: The Alien Anthology, The Exorcist, Amityville Horror, The Fly Films, Dracula, Frankenstein, The Shining, Night of the Living Dead, The Frighteners, Psycho, King Kong, The Crazies, Etc.

Just for some reason this year they decided to focus on the slasher series' with all the Friday's and Halloween's. Hopefully next year will go back to the good stuff.

As for the rest of your post - :lol:

Ghoulman
12-Dec-2010, 03:42 AM
"Walking Dead Season 2 Talk - Darabont: Writers Not Fired" http://www.bscreview.com/2010/12/walking-dead-season-2-talk-darabont-writers-not-fired/

bassman
07-Feb-2011, 04:37 PM
Season Two will reportedly have five hired writers. Also, the writer of the "Wildfire" Episode is now hired on as Executive Producer.

Back in December, as "The Walking Dead" was continually bringing in the highest ratings in AMC's history, rumors were floating around that Frank Darabont had released his entire writing staff for the show ahead of its second season. And there was even talk that Darabont would only hire freelancers for the next season, eliminating the series' writing staff entirely.

However, according to a new report at Deadline, that approach has been abandoned and "The Walking Dead" will have five writers on staff for season two. Additionally, Glen Mazzara has come on board as a new executive producer under Darabont.

Mazzara wrote "Wildfire," the penultimate first season episode of "The Walking Dead" as a freelancer. Prior to that, he got his start as a writer on "Nash Bridges" before moving on to "The Shield," "Standoff" and "Life." Mazzara also created the TV adaptation of "Crash" on Starz, where he served as showrunner for the series' first season. He was also an executive producer and writer of "Hawthorne" on TNT.

Former "Walking Dead" writer and executive producer, Charles “Chic” Eglee quickly joined FX's "Powers" after leaving the show. Like "Walking Dead," "Powers" is an adaptation of a hit creator owned comic book series, which was created by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming.

"Walking Dead" creator Robert Kirkman is expected to write at least one episode of the show's second season, which will be 13 episodes this year instead of the first season's short order of six. Andrew Lincoln, Jon Bernthal, Sarah Wayne Callies, Chandler Riggs, Steven Yuen and Laurie Holden will all be back for the next season, which is expected to begin production soon.

Although AMC has not yet announced a return date for "The Walking Dead," it is widely rumored that season two will begin near the end of October just as the first season did last year.

http://www.craveonline.com/entertainment/tv/article/glen-mazzara-joins-the-walking-dead-122989

MinionZombie
07-Feb-2011, 06:11 PM
A wise hire in the form of Mazzara - that penultimate episode has some killer character scenes that just blew me away. Indeed it was my favourite episode outside of the extra-long season opener.

Neil
08-Feb-2011, 08:55 AM
I've got high hopes for the next series, so it can't come soon enough!!

AcesandEights
08-Feb-2011, 01:24 PM
Augggh! We're back to the End of October date as likeliest time we'll get to see this???

Bummer!

bassman
08-Feb-2011, 01:57 PM
Augggh! We're back to the End of October date as likeliest time we'll get to see this???

October has always been the likely starting point of Season Two. Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad suggested that it may be July. Although he may have heard something here or there, he's not a very reliable source for TWD. The producers have been saying "likely October" ever since the second season was officially announced.

AcesandEights
08-Feb-2011, 02:49 PM
Can you blame me for hoping!? :D

bassman
09-Feb-2011, 01:25 PM
Can you blame me for hoping!? :D

Not at all. I wish it were coming earlier too.

Just making sure you're not going all "Why i'm leaving Darabont!" and "They're trying to kill it!" on us. I can't bare to see you join that looney group. :p

AcesandEights
09-Feb-2011, 01:57 PM
Not at all. I wish it were coming earlier too.

Just making sure you're not going all "Why i'm leaving Darabont!" and "They're trying to kill it!" on us. I can't bare to see you join that looney group. :p

Not all....

Well okay, till you reassured me I was all like this in my head:

http://www.myartprints.com/kunst/william_etty/combat_woman_pleading_vanquis_hi.jpg

What can I say, I can be a little dramatic at times.

SymphonicX
09-Feb-2011, 05:15 PM
tbh I thought the writing was the weakest part of TWD.
That and the fact that it was hard to care about the characters...

JDFP
09-Feb-2011, 05:36 PM
All this fussing about the starting date of "The Walking Dead" for the second season seems silly to me. The end of the October and the Halloween season is the perfect time to begin the new season this year and every year. It would be kinda nuts not to start it around a holiday that's very purpose is in celebrating the joys of 'devilishness and evil' and all that great stuff. Hell, Halloween is my most favorite holiday of the year and I'd love to celebrate Halloween with a new season beginning of "TWD" every year for hopefully many years to come.

Personally, if it starts earlier than around early-mid October you won't be hearing from me because I won't be watching it until around Halloween anyway. I just don't have much of an interest in watching "TWD" around July/August -- I'm not thinking about zombies around summertime so I'll patiently await to catch up with it online around Halloween and do my own mini-marathon for it if needed if for some nutty reason they decide to begin the second season in the summer instead.

j.p.

MinionZombie
09-Feb-2011, 05:47 PM
tbh I thought the writing was the weakest part of TWD.
That and the fact that it was hard to care about the characters...

I've gotta say, I completely disagree. There were some weak portions, such as in Vatos (the whole old folk and gang bangers thingy didn't really work for me), but then there was Wildfire and TS-19, which both floored me with their writing.

ProfessorChaos
09-Feb-2011, 11:43 PM
Personally, if it starts earlier than around early-mid October you won't be hearing from me because I won't be watching it until around Halloween anyway. I just don't have much of an interest in watching "TWD" around July/August -- I'm not thinking about zombies around summertime so I'll patiently await to catch up with it online around Halloween and do my own mini-marathon for it if needed if for some nutty reason they decide to begin the second season in the summer instead.

in the most polite sense of the term, i call "bullshit" on this. the mania around this place will break your willpower just like it did to bassman when the premiere showed up online.:p

bassman
10-Feb-2011, 12:47 AM
..just like it did to bassman when the premiere showed up online.:p

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/2/shining.gif

Doc
10-Feb-2011, 01:49 AM
I've gotta say, I completely disagree. There were some weak portions, such as in Vatos (the whole old folk and gang bangers thingy didn't really work for me), but then there was Wildfire and TS-19, which both floored me with their writing.

Meh. Those happen to be one of my least favorite episodes.

In fact, the first half of the season was great, but the second half was juet meh...to me.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't throwing my popcorn, or soda cans at the screen because there weren't enough zombies. I just don't feel the latter part of the season was good.

Vatos was definitely the weakest of the bunch.

I just couldn't get into "Wildfire" episode. The person playing Andrea put up a good performance for sure, but it was hard for to have sympathy for a character that's barely been developed, or had very little screen time before then. Same thing for Jim. Other than that everything else was alright.

TS-19 was much better, but it just didn't make sense to me that Jenner would let the gang in, and then resort to commit suicide, and destroy the building the next day. Samething with Jacqui staying behind.

I also don't hope they keep playing that soap-opera love triangle BS any longer. Seriously.

I hope they fix all this in the next season.

So, far Daryl, Rick, and Glen are the only cool ones.

bassman
10-Feb-2011, 02:16 AM
I just couldn't get into "Wildfire" episode. The person playing Andrea put up a good performance for sure, but it was hard for to have sympathy for a character that's barely been developed, or had very little screen time before then.

Outside of the Grimes family, Andrea was one of the most developed characters in the first season. Her development started at episode 2, peaked in the middle, and the resolution ended with her and Dale in the season finale.

I also don't hope they keep playing that soap-opera love triangle BS any longer. Seriously.

That "Soap opera" story is essential to the basic plotline. I'm always confused by this complaint because:

A. It's part of the source material.
B. Without any sort of internal conflict it's only humans versus zombies. Thats fine for a small story, but it doesn't hold up a series in the long run.

Humans versus zombies is really a poor story. We're here for Romero's films, right? Since when has humans versus zombies been the only plotline?

Doc
10-Feb-2011, 04:15 AM
Outside of the Grimes family, Andrea was one of the most developed characters in the first season. Her development started at episode 2, peaked in the middle, and the resolution ended with her and Dale in the season finale.

The scene with her and Amy in the beginning of Episode 4 was so, obviously the writers saying "Pay attention audience this is important!" in way so they could "develop" the sisters. :(

Even the scene with her and Rick talking in the store was a little ridiculous.

Admittedly, your right about her scenes with Dale. They have so, far been her best. :) but everything else to me was-:|

That "Soap opera" story is essential to the basic plotline. I'm always confused by this complaint because:

A. It's part of the source material.
B. Without any sort of internal conflict it's only humans versus zombies. Thats fine for a small story, but it doesn't hold up a series in the long run.

I don't particularly mind it, but the way they've used it so far it's been forced. It never was like that in the comic. Far as I remember anyway. I really hope they don't keep doing that in Season 2 though.

I hope, I don't sound like a basher because I'm not trying to be. I like this series, and hope its a success. Alot of shows have bumpy Season 1 though so, I'm sure it'll get better.

The only big complaints I have in the series so, far is:

Merle(such a walking cliche :bored:)
Vatos(Hmm....I wonder if we will possibly see these characters again?)

Ghoulman
10-Feb-2011, 10:17 AM
I couldn't agree more Doc. I hope the forced feeling of some of the "development" had everything to do with NOT knowing if the first season was going to be well-received or just a one-shot bomb (Shame on them for not knowing...But that's another matter altogether).

The Merle thing and the Vato thing screamed personal ideology to me. Like someone was thinking: "We need to show how stupid Caucasians can be while spotlighting the common misconceptions about minorities." But I could be wrong. I would have been content to see Merle die on the roof and not have had the vato's arc at all thus sticking a little closer to the source material.

bassman
10-Feb-2011, 01:11 PM
I still say the racist stereotype of Merle isn't that big of a stretch. Sure he may be slightly over the top, but I meet assholes like him at least once a week. They're everywhere. As Los always says....they're steretypes for a reason.

Plus I just love Micheal Rooker. I could watch that dude eat a bowl of soup for fifteen minutes and be happy. :p

darth los
10-Feb-2011, 04:42 PM
I still say the racist stereotype of Merle isn't that big of a stretch. Sure he may be slightly over the top, but I meet assholes like him at least once a week. They're everywhere. As Los always says....they're steretypes for a reason.

Plus I just love Micheal Rooker. I could watch that dude eat a bowl of soup for fifteen minutes and be happy. :p

Did I hear my name? :shifty:

I'm like a Genie, I hear my name and it's like SHAZAAM !

But yeah Bass, that's normally the case.

I thought the first episode was gold. Great Character development if only a tad slow paced. I sometimes wonder what gar would have done with that type of time if he had to tell a story.(4-5 hours) :confused:

It's perhaps the reason why i like dawn the most even though day is technically the superior film. Dawn was the longest, thus he had a chance for deep character development. The fact that it was a small group of protagonists he could focus on and the 2 1/2 hours he had was huge.

But i Digress. Guts was a very good "action" episode.

*Sigh* Now we move toward the middle two. As I already stated, character development is great and all but eps. 3-4 were just too lifetime/oxygen channelly for my taste and I hope they do less of that and more of the type of character development we saw in eps 5-6. It was great without the estrogen overdose we got in eps 3-4.