PDA

View Full Version : Blu Ray and DVD Release

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 06:58 PM
AMC has teamed up with Anchor Bay Entertainment (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2010/11/30/amc-teams-with-anchor-bay-entertainment-for-home-entertainment-distribution-for-the-walking-dead/73726) for the US BR/DVD release of The Walking Dead.

“We’re pleased to be working on ‘The Walking Dead’ series with the team at AMC,” Clark said. “We have some unique plans for the release and can’t wait to put them into motion. We’re lucky to have such talented and committed partners at the network.”

“Anchor Bay is the leading distributor for the horror genre, and we could not have a better partner as we expand into this lucrative new market,” Wiseman said. “‘The Walking Dead’ is an epic, edge-of-your-seat drama and we are excited to extend its life into the retail marketplace.”

“Anchor Bay is the perfect home for ‘The Walking Dead,’” added Kevin Kasha, Executive Vice President of Worldwide Acquisitions and Co-Productions of Anchor Bay Films. “Over the years, the Anchor Bay Entertainment brand has become synonymous with the horror genre and this series is horror at its absolute best.”

Seems appropriate, doesn't it?:)

Hopefully we'll get an estimated release date soon enough.

MikePizzoff
01-Dec-2010, 07:01 PM
I was imagining they'd have a rush release for the holidays, followed by a proper release in the late spring/early summer. I'd probably buy both.

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 07:14 PM
With three weeks until the holidays, it's likely we won't get anything. It's possible they could announce it in the next few days, but don't they usually announce these releases several months in advance?

I would be ecstatic if we get it before Christmas but that seems out of reach at this point. Hopefully i'm wrong.

acealive1
01-Dec-2010, 07:27 PM
i thought anchor bay got absorbed about a year ago....

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 07:36 PM
A few years ago Anchor Bay was purchased by Starz. Starz was going to start releasing their products under "Starz Home Entertainment"(I think this may be how my Dawn and Day Blu Ray's are listed?), but later brought back the familiar "Anchor Bay Entertainment" title. New owners....same company.

joeharley666
01-Dec-2010, 10:30 PM
Do you think it may have extra stuff(scene's and gore) that was cut out of the series? It would be awesome to include deleted scene's

Legion2213
01-Dec-2010, 10:50 PM
I doubt they've cut any gore...doesn't get more gruesome than dismembering bodies for camoflague purposes and sinking fire axes into zombies skulls. :)

Extra scenes, extensive commentaries and a few documentaries would be sweet though

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 10:54 PM
What Legion said. We've seen a few interviews where they said they expected most of the gore to be cut back until the dvd, but surprisingly the censors let it all through. Might get a few things, but I'm not expecting much.

I just hope for some good making-of docs and good commentaries.

joeharley666
01-Dec-2010, 11:16 PM
I'm ok with the gore, it has enough for me without being over the top ridiculous, but it would be sweet if they had more deleted acting scene's put back in. Anything to show characterization and extend the story line would be awesome

bassman
01-Dec-2010, 11:18 PM
According the Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/walking-dead-dvd-coming-spring-54768), Season One will be on Blu Ray and DVD this Spring.

DjfunkmasterG
02-Dec-2010, 12:39 AM
Normally with any TV show the DVD/BR doesn't come out til at least a month before the next season 1st episode airs. All networks do it like this it helps create sales and viewership. So if S2 is October 2011, expect the DVD/BR in September, maybe mid august

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 12:45 AM
True, DJ. But most shows don't have a six episode season. This one may be different from most as far as dvd release....

DjfunkmasterG
02-Dec-2010, 12:56 AM
True, DJ. But most shows don't have a six episode season. This one may be different from most as far as dvd release....

I wouldn't get my hopes up... I just look at th epatterns and I don't see AMC changing this... even with Anchor Bay on board or if they do an early release I bet a second uber awesome release will come just before S2

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 01:36 AM
No doubt. I imagine things will remain as they always have. But you can't hate a guy for hoping, right? :p :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
02-Dec-2010, 02:55 AM
No doubt. I imagine things will remain as they always have. But you can't hate a guy for hoping, right? :p :lol:

Hell no, shit the earlier the better, as long as it is packed with some features... one of them being a Darabont Commentary for the first Episode

zomtom
02-Dec-2010, 06:29 AM
They should strike while the grill is hot. There's alot of buzz about this show and if they release it within a few months it should sell pretty well. I will definately own the blu ray the day it is released. I wouldn't expect too many extras. Much of what we see on the AMC site is what they will probably offer.

Ghoulman
02-Dec-2010, 09:59 AM
I'm curious: Has anyone here bought any of AMC's other original program on DVD, and if so, do those sets include the addition of any edited out footage? I ask because I am confident there are many bits that hit the cutting room floor from The Walking Dead and I'd very much like to see some of the worthy stuff put back in.

While we're on the subject of the DVD, anyone think we can beg, plead and persuade Darabont to put the stupid "flash forward" at the beginning of Days Gone Bye back to its rightful chronological place in the feature AS WELL as restore the rest of the footage from that scene that can clearly be seen from one of the behind-the-scenes featurettes?

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 12:12 PM
Hell no, shit the earlier the better, as long as it is packed with some features... one of them being a Darabont Commentary for the first Episode

Same here. Darabont's commentaries in the past have been very interesting. Definitely wanting to hear his thoughts on episode one. Maybe he'll also sit in on some of the other episodes?

I'm curious: Has anyone here bought any of AMC's other original program on DVD, and if so, do those sets include the addition of any edited out footage? I ask because I am confident there are many bits that hit the cutting room floor from The Walking Dead and I'd very much like to see some of the worthy stuff put back in.

Looking at the features listed on Amazon, Breaking Bad has deleted scenes. Mad Men also has commentary on every episode. That's what I'm hoping for...

ProfessorChaos
02-Dec-2010, 12:44 PM
yeah, i've got all seasons of breaking bad and mad men. there's some deleted scenes, commentaries, cool bonus features, etc. and they are very nicely boxed.

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 12:47 PM
Amazon had the three available seasons of Mad Men for 9.99 on Blu Ray the other day. I meant to go back and get them, but missed out on it. Now they're back at regular price. D'oh!

MikePizzoff
02-Dec-2010, 02:51 PM
Normally with any TV show the DVD/BR doesn't come out til at least a month before the next season 1st episode airs. All networks do it like this it helps create sales and viewership. So if S2 is October 2011, expect the DVD/BR in September, maybe mid august

According to Amazon, it'll be released on March 8th.

bassman
02-Dec-2010, 03:00 PM
According to Amazon, it'll be released on March 8th.

Hrrrmmmm. That's new. I actually checked Amazon yesterday and that wasn't there. This also jives with what THR was reporting. Looks like it may be spring...

ProfessorChaos
02-Dec-2010, 03:20 PM
Amazon had the three available seasons of Mad Men for 9.99 on Blu Ray the other day. I meant to go back and get them, but missed out on it. Now they're back at regular price. D'oh!

holy shit, 10 bucks per season on blu-ray? i've not even made the switch yet, but i'd have ordered them at that price anyway, so i'd have them when i upgrade...christ, 10 bucks, what a deal.

Gryphon
02-Dec-2010, 04:49 PM
While we're on the subject of the DVD, anyone think we can beg, plead and persuade Darabont to put the stupid "flash forward" at the beginning of Days Gone Bye back to its rightful chronological place in the feature AS WELL as restore the rest of the footage from that scene that can clearly be seen from one of the behind-the-scenes featurettes?

Yeah, I'm hoping that at least will be restored to the show, given it's the one deleted scene everyone knows exists ;)

bassman
06-Dec-2010, 01:02 AM
They've just had a commercial on AMC suggesting that you pre-order TWD through Amazon. Amazon has a March 8th release scheduled.

Looks like March is the month, folks...

hadrian0117
06-Dec-2010, 03:48 AM
The Mad Men DVDs are pretty sweet; every ep has at least one commentary track and often two. Never any deleted scenes though.

bassman
10-Dec-2010, 04:47 PM
It's already been confirmed in a way, but these guys (http://furiousfanboys.com/2010/12/the-walking-dead-season-1-hits-dvd-march-8th/)say it's definitely March 8th and will have "TONS" of special features including webisodes, making-of features, audio commentaries, and more.

And what they say is true....the price seems a bit steep for six episodes.

MikePizzoff
10-Dec-2010, 06:17 PM
$50?!?! Jesus... no thanks.

sandrock74
11-Dec-2010, 10:29 PM
$40.00 for the dvd set? I was going to purchase it, but I certainly won't at that price!

Pass.

bassman
11-Dec-2010, 10:36 PM
Hopefully these guys are wrong about the price. Either that or hopefully they'll have a new release price drop like they do with certain releases...

Legion2213
11-Dec-2010, 10:41 PM
LOL, did you guys bother checking Amazon US? They are priced at...

Blu Ray - $32

DVD - $26

I wish they'd get them up on Amazon UK!!! :mad:

bassman
11-Dec-2010, 10:46 PM
LOL, did you guys bother checking Amazon US? They are priced at...

I did, but at this point it may be still too early to tell. Granted, AMC had commercials suggesting that the show be preordered through Amazon, but with three months to go and no special features listed.....i'm not trusting that pricing. Not just yet, anyway.

Not to mention that's a new price. It was much higher when I checked a few days ago.

Legion2213
11-Dec-2010, 10:54 PM
Amazon have a pre-order price guarantee, order it now and that is the price you'll pay. :)

kidgloves
11-Dec-2010, 11:00 PM
Can't wait to hear Darabonts commentary of the pilot.
Shit, I'll listen to all if them anyway but Darabonts will be very interesting. I hope they get Kirkman in for Vatos as well. He's got some explaining to do.:rant:

CooperWasRight
12-Dec-2010, 12:04 AM
I look forward seeing the difference in tone seeing the show in black and white. Also I take the people put off by the potential price dont buy many tv shows.... 50 dollars it pretty standard launch price for an amc tv show dvd.. Minus pre-order discount.

acealive1
12-Dec-2010, 12:25 AM
$26 for 6 episodes?!?

kidgloves
12-Dec-2010, 12:33 AM
BTW if people are undecided on whether to buy the blu-ray or DVD, the blu won't look much better than the DVD because of the way it was shot. It will look sharper but the grain will soften the pic quality overall. If the blu has more special features then go ahead and get it but don't buy the blu expecting superb picture quality.

CooperWasRight
12-Dec-2010, 01:22 AM
BTW if people are undecided on whether to buy the blu-ray or DVD, the blu won't look much better than the DVD because of the way it was shot. It will look sharper but the grain will soften the pic quality overall. If the blu has more special features then go ahead and get it but don't buy the blu expecting superb picture quality.

Um no.... Dvd=480 lines of resolution... Blu Ray 1080 lines... Source material was shot on super16mm far surpasses sd color spectrum and clarity.
the only time hd provides no real clear advantage is if something is shot on a sd source like dv... ALL film has grain... Including 72mm(commonly referred to as IMAX).... Grain is no reason to shy away from 1080p.

bassman
06-Jan-2011, 01:19 PM
Official announcement and specs from Anchor Bay (http://collider.com/the-walking-dead-season-one-blu-ray-dvd/68333/):

DVD and Blu-ray™ bonus features include:
Featurettes:
The Making of THE WALKING DEAD
Inside THE WALKING DEAD: Episode 1-6
A Sneak Peek with Robert Kirkman
Behind The Scenes Zombie Make-Up Tips
Convention Panel With Producers
THE WALKING DEAD Trailer

Extra Footage:
Zombie School
Bicycle Girl
On Set With Robert Kirkman
Hanging With Steven Yeun
Inside Dale’s RV
On Set With Andrew Lincoln

No commentaries and the same videos we've seen online?!? What kind of bullshit way is this to treat one of the widest viewed shows in history? I may just stick with my DVR recordings of the show and save my money. :dead:

kidgloves
06-Jan-2011, 09:05 PM
Official announcement and specs from Anchor Bay (http://collider.com/the-walking-dead-season-one-blu-ray-dvd/68333/):

No commentaries and the same videos we've seen online?!? What kind of bullshit way is this to treat one of the widest viewed shows in history? I may just stick with my DVR recordings of the show and save my money. :dead:

WTF. Gotta agree with you Bass. At this stage i'll only buy if they add commentaries

Ghoulman
08-Jan-2011, 03:25 AM
I'd be extremely happy with a directors cut or two out of the six eps. Perhaps restore some previously edited out material on at least Days Gone bye. That's the kind of stuff I look forward to most.

MinionZombie
08-Jan-2011, 12:31 PM
Well I suppose there'll be the "making of" thingy on it - which I didn't get to see online because I wasn't 'in the right country' ... but still, absolutely nothing new (that hasn't been online, I mean) for the release of this rather successful show? That's a bit harsh.

MikePizzoff
08-Jan-2011, 06:09 PM
which I didn't get to see online because I wasn't 'in the right country'

USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_28FiVm2p6ek/Svu-Hg2z4WI/AAAAAAAAApI/1aTZWYJtWUw/s400/as+american+as+apple+pie.jpg

MinionZombie
09-Jan-2011, 10:30 AM
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_28FiVm2p6ek/Svu-Hg2z4WI/AAAAAAAAApI/1aTZWYJtWUw/s400/as+american+as+apple+pie.jpg

:lol::lol::lol:

MinionZombie
01-Feb-2011, 05:49 PM
Some sites are listing the UK release date as June 6th 2011. 3-disc DVD, 2-disc BR.

Not sure if that's official or not, mind.

Legion2213
04-Feb-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, I signed up to be notified when Amazon UK was ready for pre-orders and got an email the other day...June is a bit of a shitter really when the Yanks will have it in March (looks at MikePizzoff's post again...bastards!). :D

bassman
04-Feb-2011, 09:42 PM
I've already decided that I'm not going to buy this. Maybe when it drops in price, but as of release it's just not worth the money. They're ripping us off with the lack of special features. I'll just keep the season on my DVR and hope for a special edition release around the time of season two.

kidgloves
05-Feb-2011, 10:58 AM
I've already decided that I'm not going to buy this. Maybe when it drops in price, but as of release it's just not worth the money. They're ripping us off with the lack of special features. I'll just keep the season on my DVR and hope for a special edition release around the time of season two.

+1

Real shame. You would have thought they would have pulled out all the stops bearing in mind how successful the run was.

Legion2213
05-Feb-2011, 12:52 PM
Like others, I've got these on my Sky HD box @ 1080i. I did intend to buy the BD on day one, but on reflection I may wait until the price drops a bit.

I'm a bit shocked at the lack of commentaries, you'd think the creative team would have a lot to say about the pilot and their first foray into TWD live action series.

kidgloves
05-Feb-2011, 02:41 PM
Like others, I've got these on my Sky HD box @ 1080i. I did intend to buy the BD on day one, but on reflection I may wait until the price drops a bit.

I'm a bit shocked at the lack of commentaries, you'd think the creative team would have a lot to say about the pilot and their first foray into TWD live action series.

Indeed. I was so looking forward to hear what Darabont had to say about the pilot. I love listening to guys like him talk about why decisions were made, especially in relation to the comic.

MinionZombie
05-Feb-2011, 05:28 PM
Count me in as another TWD lover who was disappointed by the seeming total lack of effort from AMC and Anchor Bay on the home video release. Rather disappointing. What's more, the UK release is months later than the American release ... wtf is that about?

SymphonicX
06-Feb-2011, 08:07 AM
I've lost all my eps of this on my Sky HD box cos I did a system restore on it a while back...but the BRs special features aren't going to sell that to me, especially when these things come down in price so dramatically. This is "wait til the bargain bin" material.

MinionZombie
06-Feb-2011, 10:24 AM
I've lost all my eps of this on my Sky HD box cos I did a system restore on it a while back...but the BRs special features aren't going to sell that to me, especially when these things come down in price so dramatically. This is "wait til the bargain bin" material.

Hmmm ... DVD box sets come down in price quicker, much quicker, than BR - in fact Blu-Rays mostly stay expensive for ages, meanwhile their DVD counterparts have dropped considerably in price. Although some DVD box sets take ages to drop in price too.

I'd get it at a cheaper price, because with such a half-arsed approach to the release with no new features (amazing really, considering how well it did in the ratings!), I'm not paying top dollar for it ... and that's a damn shame, because I frickin' love the show.

Mr.G
06-Feb-2011, 01:49 PM
[QUOTE=MinionZombie;259925]in fact Blu-Rays mostly stay expensive for ages, meanwhile their DVD counterparts have dropped considerably in price. Although some DVD box sets take ages to drop in price too.QUOTE]

At least in Indiana, that isn't the case. I can walk into Best Buy or WalMart and have a great selection of Blu Rays from 15, 10, and sometimes even 5 bucks.

bassman
06-Feb-2011, 02:12 PM
Yeah, I've got to disagree with that as well, MZ. I often find Blu Rays that are CHEAPER than their dvd counterpart. Nine times out of ten, the blu ray is a cheaper price with better features...

JDFP
06-Feb-2011, 04:12 PM
Wait, there's no commentaries on this thing? What the hell?

Wow, I have no interest or need in buying it then. If it's just the episodes with some making of stuff then I can just watch it online.

If I can find it for less than $25 I'll still probably buy it, otherwise really no point in buying it with no commentaries. Yep, I'm a commentary/special features whore, and I make no apology for it. While I dig the 1080 blu-ray picture quality, that doesn't do too much for me just for watching it.

j.p.

MinionZombie
06-Feb-2011, 06:20 PM
Yeah, I've got to disagree with that as well, MZ. I often find Blu Rays that are CHEAPER than their dvd counterpart. Nine times out of ten, the blu ray is a cheaper price with better features...

Well clearly Mr.G and Bassman are living in a home media haven - cos that certainly isn't the case in the UK.

For example, Cop Out on Blu-Ray is at least £10 (and it has been out for ages), meanwhile the DVD is at least £5 ... finding a properly good blu-ray sale is also quite rare. You can find cheap DVDs in a flash, but finding cheap BRs is a rarity here. I've had a couple of BRs for smaller amounts, but the cheapest were £7-£8, and that was only a couple. Most BRs come out at at least £16-18 and stay there for months.

Ruddy piss take, so it is.

Mr.G
11-Feb-2011, 01:03 PM
Well clearly Mr.G and Bassman are living in a home media haven - cos that certainly isn't the case in the UK.

No, not a media heaven, most stuff is cheaper in the states. My wife is from the UK and it pains me (and my wallet/credit card) when we visit her family. They LOVE coming to the states and usually bring empty suitcases to fill with shit they don't need for the return trip.

I'd be poor as hell if I lived in England! I feel for you!

MinionZombie
11-Feb-2011, 05:51 PM
No, not a media heaven, most stuff is cheaper in the states. My wife is from the UK and it pains me (and my wallet/credit card) when we visit her family. They LOVE coming to the states and usually bring empty suitcases to fill with shit they don't need for the return trip.

I'd be poor as hell if I lived in England! I feel for you!

The empathy/sympathy is much appreciated, Mr. G - because it is indeed expensive-as-balls here in the UK, plus the exchange rate isn't anywhere near as good as it was a few years ago, so importing isn't cheap anymore (such as DVDs) ... I used to import DVDs by the bucket load back in the early 00s, but now even a disc that's been hanging around for years is still like £13 when imported.

Blu-Ray wise, it's ridiculous with the prices. Iron Man 2 for instance, been out on disc for a few months now - the DVD can be found for a fiver. The Blu-Ray is, at best, three times that. :mad:

MinionZombie
25-Feb-2011, 06:42 PM
Review of the Blu-Ray box set:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Walking-Dead-The-Complete-First-Season-Blu-ray/17648/#Review

zomtom
26-Feb-2011, 06:59 AM
I pre-ordered the blu-ray for $27. I'm not thrilled that there aren't alot of extras but I'm the type who watches the extras one time and then never bothers with them again. I have over 1,300 dvds and over 200 blu-rays. This will be my first television series in my collection. That says alot for me. I absolutely LOVE this show and can't wait to have that blu-ray in my greedy little fingers!!

Gryphon
26-Feb-2011, 10:30 AM
I pre-ordered the blu-ray for $27. I'm not thrilled that there aren't alot of extras but I'm the type who watches the extras one time and then never bothers with them again. I have over 1,300 dvds and over 200 blu-rays. This will be my first television series in my collection. That says alot for me. I absolutely LOVE this show and can't wait to have that blu-ray in my greedy little fingers!!

Same here. I watched the extras on all my Blu Rays... once. Watched the movies several times, though... maybe Day of the Dead too many times...:confused::shifty:

kidgloves
26-Feb-2011, 08:38 PM

Welcome Zomtom :thumbsup:

Definately giving this a miss. Im an extras whore, and quite frankly, not including even one commentary is unacceptable for me to give over cash for this. :rant: Only Uncle George gets that loyalty from me.
Im going to go my usual route instead :shifty:and i'll let you people know whether i agree with the pic and sound quality in a few hours :sneaky:

---------- Post added at 08:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Well, i've watched the first episode and its mixed feelings for me.
I thought the broadcast version was quite good bearing in mind the look they were going for and parts of that jumped out at me and made me go wow. There are a lot of soft shots in the pilot and they are no better here. Generally i didn't notice much improvement with the bluray apart from when Rick enters the city. Detail is excellent and the crane shot pull back on the swarming zombies is crystal clear. The dark scenes with Morgan and Duane in the house are also noticably clearer and colour is much better all around.
Audio is difficult to judge yet because there has only been a few gunshots and ambient music but the dialogue is spot on and again crystal clear.

Btw the opening scene with Rick pulling up in the cruiser is a great homage to Night. Not sure why its taken me this long to make the connection :confused:

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

OK. After watching episode 2, this has become a definate purchase for me. The video and audio really shine in this episode. It was probably a stylistic choice by Darabont and the DP for the pilot to have lots of soft shots. There are very few ones here and as a result the bluray is a big improvement over the broadcast version. The colour reproduction is excellent resulting in a much more balanced picture. Very impressed.
The audio is also a big step up as well. The coming storm is always in the background building in intensity and menace. Still waiting for the shotgun blasts and chaos in ep4 though. That will be the real test of how good the audio is.

bassman
27-Feb-2011, 03:09 AM
I'm gonna play the stickler and say "fuck that". They're still saved on my DVR.

Until they give some REAL special features, AMC and Anchor Bay can count me out.

It's really insane considering this is their biggest show yet and their "lesser" shows have had better special features. I'm banking on a future release before Season Two. Slightly better video quality doesn't make it worth the purchase, imo...

kidgloves
27-Feb-2011, 10:27 AM
I agree. If people are not bothered about an upgrade in pic and audio quality then the broadcast 1080i version should be sufficient for most. Still gutted about the lack of new extras though. Just 1 commentary would make it more appealing to a lot more people.

hadrian0117
28-Feb-2011, 08:47 PM
The lackt of audio commentaries is profoundly disappointing. They're my favourite special feature. It's just bizarre of AMC not to put any on. Mad Men (which I've purchased every season of) manages not one, but two commentary tracks for each episode. I'll rent TWD, but I won't buy it unless they put out a version with better special features.

rongravy
28-Feb-2011, 08:59 PM
Yeah, if I made a show as kickass as this was, I'd have no trouble filling several commentary tracks up with my endless babble.
I guess some people just aren't into it. Look at Matt and Trey of South Park. It's like pulling teeth to get them to do a few minutes of commentary for each episode of a show that made them rich as flipdoodle. Gazillionnaires, even.
I love commentaries, and it's kind of become habit to put one on and fall asleep to it nightly.
I need more useless information.
Now, please.
Stop being stingy.

RJ_Sevin
05-Mar-2011, 07:57 AM
I received the Blu-Ray press kit a few days ago. It came in a bloody-boot-print-stamped envelope, and I wonder how freaked out my mail carrier was...

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/184913_1612139705662_1301364560_31479430_7314078_n .jpg

kidgloves
05-Mar-2011, 10:56 AM
Another review of the bluray here

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4289/walkingdead_s1.html

Gryphon
05-Mar-2011, 11:15 PM
I received the Blu-Ray press kit a few days ago. It came in a bloody-boot-print-stamped envelope, and I wonder how freaked out my mail carrier was...

LOL perfect :D

ProfessorChaos
06-Mar-2011, 06:55 PM
just viewed my local best buy flyer, they are saying 17.99 for the dvd, 22.99 for blu-ray.

jded
12-Mar-2011, 11:45 PM
I bought the first season two days ago, and watched the first episode last night. I liked it but feel jipped about the total episodes. Six, are you kidding me? Since when does a season merely have six episodes?
I feel like I'm going to have to ration them and try to savor such a small morsel, like imagine if I was in my bomb shelter and a stranger came knocking.

bassman
13-Mar-2011, 12:50 AM
I bought the first season two days ago, and watched the first episode last night. I liked it but feel jipped about the total episodes. Six, are you kidding me? Since when does a season merely have six episodes?

Welcome to 2010....

Six episodes is actually better than most shows. Usually a pilot episode is ordered and then if it's effective, they order a full first season. In TWD's case they approved six episodes WITHOUT that initial pilot. So AMC actually took a huge leap of faith and gave us more than normal...

jded
13-Mar-2011, 01:13 AM
Welcome to 2010....

Six episodes is actually better than most shows. Usually a pilot episode is ordered and then if it's effective, they order a full first season. In TWD's case they approved six episodes WITHOUT that initial pilot. So AMC actually took a huge leap of faith and gave us more than normal...

Yeah but still, think back to the days of The X-Files. You got roughly 24 episodes in a season. What, is TWD short on ideas? You have to wonder. But then how many freakin issues of the comic are there already? That's more than enough to where they could have given us a dozen to chew on.

bassman
13-Mar-2011, 01:50 AM
Wait....Apparently you don't understand what happened with this series...

If they had taken the normal route and ordered a pilot, we wouldn't have seen a first season until much later. The normal practice is to have a pilot episode for the studio executives to review and if they approve of said pilot, they order a first season. So in the case of TWD, they skipped that process and approved six epiosdes straight off the bat.

We were extremely lucky to get that.....

Ghoulman
13-Mar-2011, 06:32 AM
[/COLOR]
Wait....Apparently you don't understand what happened with this series...

If they had taken the normal route and ordered a pilot, we wouldn't have seen a first season until much later. The normal practice is to have a pilot episode for the studio executives to review and if they approve of said pilot, they order a first season. So in the case of TWD, they skipped that process and approved six epiosdes straight off the bat.

We were extremely lucky to get that.....

I tried to click "Like", panicked when I couldn't find it, then I realized I wasn't on Facebook. *Note to self: Don't post drunk!

Gryphon
13-Mar-2011, 09:59 AM
[/COLOR]

I tried to click "Like", panicked when I couldn't find it, then I realized I wasn't on Facebook. *Note to self: Don't post drunk!

Priceless :elol:

kidgloves
18-Mar-2011, 09:21 PM
Hmmm. Whatever happened to the option for black and white for the pilot that was talked about at Comicon? Maybe saving it for the speculated about premium release? And why so long a wait for the UK release?

MinionZombie
19-Mar-2011, 10:54 AM
Hmmm. Whatever happened to the option for black and white for the pilot that was talked about at Comicon? Maybe saving it for the speculated about premium release? And why so long a wait for the UK release?

Originaly us Brits were gonna have to wait until June/July - so May is an earlier date than we were originally going to get. However, aye, with these rumours of a premium release of the boxset - with actual extra features, not stuff that we've all seen online (well, aside from the Making Of, which us non-Americans couldn't watch online) - I think I'll wait and see what happens. I don't want to double-bloody-dip, that's for damn sure!

bassman
19-Mar-2011, 02:06 PM
(well, aside from the Making Of, which us non-Americans couldn't watch online)

You didn't get to see it? I had put the two-part youtube version up in the "Official trailers/clips" thread. It's been taken down by Starz Entertainment(Anchor Bay) because it's on the dvd release, but it was once available for quite some time.

As for the B&W version that Darabont basically assured us was coming - I'm thinking that's another one of the features for the rumored special edition. Of course we don't have any actual confirmation on this future release, but there's been a lot of talk that makes it seem inevitable.

THXleo....think it's possible to get any word on that?:)

MinionZombie
19-Mar-2011, 07:06 PM
Hmmm ... maybe I did see the Making Of then, but how long is the making of from the DVD? Might the thing on YouTube, that I saw, have been a different featurette? Who knows ... so maybe I have seen it then ... like all the other online videos they chucked on the package. I'm not against putting that stuff on, but in addition to disc-only features, you know? Like Scott Pilgrim has the video logs from the website during it's production, which is perfectly fine, but it's backed up with new content too.

ProfessorChaos
19-Mar-2011, 07:18 PM
the release we have so far does have an "inside episode ___", which briefly describes the story and gives insight from the actors about what their characters' motivations are. they are actually pretty cool, and really do help the viewer get an idea of what's going on inside the survivors' heads.

not sure if they were released on the internet or not.

as for the future re-release of season one with even more extras, i'm not holding my breath, but i'd gladly pick it up if they did. not sure if it was in this thread or another, but the description of the extended scene where shane attempts to take rick from the hospital sounds amazing....hard to believe they wouldn't just put those on the first release.

bassman
19-Mar-2011, 07:40 PM
the release we have so far does have an "inside episode ___", which briefly describes the story and gives insight from the actors about what their characters' motivations are. they are actually pretty cool, and really do help the viewer get an idea of what's going on inside the survivors' heads.

not sure if they were released on the internet or not .

I believe those were available, as well. There was an "Inside Vatos/TS-19/etc" released after each episode aired.

I haven't had a chance to see the available dvd features, but looking over the listing on the net it appears they just took the internet videos and flopped them in there with no effort towards anything new.

ProfessorChaos
19-Mar-2011, 07:49 PM
no, bassman, these are different, i'm quite sure. i recall those videos. these are new, perhaps maybe a minute or two longer. none of them are any longer than ten minutes, i've not bothered chekcing, but i'd say they each are around 5-6 mins...

bassman
20-Mar-2011, 01:21 AM
Its hard to tell now that the distribution company has removed all the AMC/Youtube videos, but from what I remember the "Inside Episode:" videos were roughly 5 minutes a pop.

Either way I still feel we were robbed of quality features. AMC's biggest show to date got the worst release...

rongravy
20-Mar-2011, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I'm kind of wondering about another release with more stuff, myself. I saw the dvd at Wal Mart for $20 the other day. My dvr went out and I've only managed to get 4-6 back on the new one. Getting antsy here...
But I'd be pissed if I got it and they had a better one out later. Planning on holding out in hopes of remembering to get 1-3 on dvr semi soon and getting more word on whether something better is around the corner. If the dvd goes cheaper, though, I may have to snag it anyway.
This wait for a new season is too long. Geez.

jded
20-Mar-2011, 03:59 PM
So far it's great! So far as episode three that is. And I found episode three to be very powerful, probably due to the reunion and the tension that was about to burst from what you knew, and what you thought you knew. And again as before, the reason for me not consuming all six in one sitting is that I'm taking my time because of the slimness of the offering. But you know what?
I found already that repeat viewings are as fun as the first. I think I must have watched Guts 4 times already. Too many things were getting in the way during my first sit down with episode 2, like audio issues, and girlfriend distractions. Honestly I'll bet the two were working together against me the whole time.
I did however manage to seclude myself when I had some free time, and soaked up Guts accordingly.

Gryphon
21-Mar-2011, 12:10 AM
I did however manage to seclude myself when I had some free time, and soaked up Guts accordingly.

I'm glad you could soak up some guts! :elol:

Well, I got the Blu Ray. I figure I'd go ahead and get it, free up the DVR space. Plus, if a new one comes out, I'll just go over to MovieStop and trade the old one in for the new one :p

zomtom
29-Mar-2011, 06:06 AM
I ended up paying $22 for the blu ray and it was the best $22 I've spent in a long time. I watched the entire series and the special features in one sitting. It was worth every red cent. Some of the high def scenes are really beautiful but there are also alot of "grainy" scenes, but that's the way it was filmed. I just can't get enough of this show. October is way too far away.

MinionZombie
30-Mar-2011, 05:58 PM
Info about the UK release:
http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/content/id/73744/the-walking-dead-season-1-uk-in-may.html

Also of note - Sainsbury's are selling the Blu-Ray for the same price as the DVD version, so nevermind £26, it'll be £18 on their site. Just a tip for anyone that's interested. I must say it's mighty tempting ... but I just have my suspicions about a double-dip situation occurring with the show in the next few months prior to the launch of season two, you know?

kidgloves
30-Mar-2011, 06:25 PM
Info about the UK release:
http://homecinema.thedigitalfix.co.uk/content/id/73744/the-walking-dead-season-1-uk-in-may.html

Also of note - Sainsbury's are selling the Blu-Ray for the same price as the DVD version, so nevermind £26, it'll be £18 on their site. Just a tip for anyone that's interested. I must say it's mighty tempting ... but I just have my suspicions about a double-dip situation occurring with the show in the next few months prior to the launch of season two, you know?

Cheers.
Same here. If the premium edition doesn't turn up i'll go back and buy the barebones. Its worth it for the PQ alone

MinionZombie
22-May-2011, 06:18 PM
I see that the UK DVD/Blu-Ray release has cut episodes on it - not at the hand of the BBFC, but instead they're pre-cut from America:

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/latest.htm#Less_Walking_Dead_3623

The pilot episode 1 is shown in its entirety rather than an (uncontentiously) shortened version shown on US TV.

But other episodes were cut for violence

* Episode 2: 9s of cuts to Rick dismembering a corpse with an axe and then delving around in its innards. See pictorial cuts details from movie-censorship.com.

* Episode 4: Missing two explicit and gory zombie bites in the scene where the camp is attacked near the end. One of these - where a young woman is bitten in the throat, with screams and gushing blood.

* Episode 5: 12s of cuts to Carol twice driving a pickaxe into the head of her dead husband. See pictorial cuts details from movie-censorship.com

So I'm confused - was what we Brits saw on FXUK and Channel 5 cut or uncut?

I'd certainly hope that a Special Edition would be uncut - and hopefully there will be an S.E. release of the season in due course.

JDFP
22-May-2011, 06:24 PM
I'm hoping there will be a "Special Edition" blu-ray release of "The Walking Dead" to entice me to buy it. If it has lots of commentaries I'd be interested as I'm a commentary/special features whore. I love the stuff.

As it stands now, there's no reason for me to spend $$$ to purchase the blu-ray when I have already 'acquired' all the episodes to the show.

j.p.

kidgloves
23-May-2011, 06:59 PM
I see that the UK DVD/Blu-Ray release has cut episodes on it - not at the hand of the BBFC, but instead they're pre-cut from America:

http://www.melonfarmers.co.uk/latest.htm#Less_Walking_Dead_3623

So I'm confused - was what we Brits saw on FXUK and Channel 5 cut or uncut?

I'd certainly hope that a Special Edition would be uncut - and hopefully there will be an S.E. release of the season in due course.

An update

We can now confirm what we were worried about: The UK Version released on Blu-ray equals the censored European pay-TV version of episode 2 and 5 which had been used for our comparisons. So the UK BD and probably the DVD as well are cut. Considered that, most likely every other European release in the next months will also only include the censored versions, taken from the same master.
At least this only concerns episode 2 and 5 and not episode 1 as well. Episode 1 had to be cut around 20 minutes for the European pay-TV airing. The UK BD includes the uncut pilot episode.

shootemindehead
04-Jul-2011, 10:46 AM
I rented the Region 2 DVD's last night and can confirm that episodes 2, 3, 4 and 5 are cut. Some headshots, the "guts" scene from ep 2, the zombie eating the deer, Amy getting munched and other eating scenes.

So, not worth buying. Not worth renting either, imo.

Bloody disgrace.

bassman
04-Jul-2011, 12:43 PM
Maybe the new three disc set won't be edited for R2. Here's hoping for you guys, anyway.

MinionZombie
04-Jul-2011, 06:20 PM
Maybe the new three disc set won't be edited for R2. Here's hoping for you guys, anyway.

Aye! It better bloody had be!

More info and links to pictoral cuts - http://melonfarmers.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/less-walking-dead-cut-uk-release-of-the-walking-dead-season-1/

Legion2213
04-Jul-2011, 07:28 PM
Is the new special edition a reality? Any kind of release date?

I heard about the cuts on our DVD/BD relase and was looking at getting the R1 DVD (the US blu rays won't play with UK players). :(

bassman
04-Jul-2011, 08:38 PM
Is the new special edition a reality? Any kind of release date?

Darabont broke the news in an interview that hit the web a few days ago. Three disc set with a confirmed feature-length documentary covering the entire first season. He didn't mention commentaries, but I imagine those will be on there as well. You can see the quote in the dedicated thread in the TWD forum.

More info and links to pictoral cuts - http://melonfarmers.wordpress.com/20...dead-season-1/

That's a bummer. Were those shots also edited from the R2 television broadcasts or just the dvd release? They were definitely aired in the states, but I can't speak on the bare bones release.

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2011, 09:04 AM
Bass - if I remember correctly they were in the UK broadcast versions. In fact I'm 99.9% sure they were - which makes it all the more piss-annoying, but then again, I specifically avoided the R2 set currently out there due to it's piss-weak extras package. Now I'm glad I did, and I dearly hope they get their act together regarding uncut episodes.

shootemindehead
05-Jul-2011, 10:08 AM
I think the R2 DVDs and Blu's were sourced from a German TV cut.

MinionZombie
05-Jul-2011, 05:41 PM
I think the R2 DVDs and Blu's were sourced from a German TV cut.

Right! That's it! World War 3, here we go... :clown::p:clown:

Neil
05-Jul-2011, 06:24 PM
Bass - if I remember correctly they were in the UK broadcast versions. In fact I'm 99.9% sure they were - which makes it all the more piss-annoying, but then again, I specifically avoided the R2 set currently out there due to it's piss-weak extras package. Now I'm glad I did, and I dearly hope they get their act together regarding uncut episodes.

If you're right, why do they release cut versions, and not the uncut ones :(

MinionZombie
06-Jul-2011, 09:01 AM
If you're right, why do they release cut versions, and not the uncut ones :(

Well if ours came from the German TV cuts - because Germany is, IIRC, within the R2 'zone' - then perhaps they 'did the files' first, so-to-speak, and then everyone else in the R2 'zone' got lumped with those. Some stupid thing like that, no doubt.

The new release had better darn well have the uncut episodes on them. I mean come on, people...

shootemindehead
06-Jul-2011, 11:39 AM
Yeh. I reckon it's more a case of mistake, than actual censorship here.