PDA

View Full Version : Moments in TV Show Inspired by (Later) Events In Comic

JonOfTheShred
08-Dec-2010, 09:22 PM
I think I can see a common thing throughout this first season: similar situations to events that transpire much later in the book.

Perhaps to satisfy Kirkman because he'd be seeing a lot of his situations panned out on screen with enough variation and differences to not piss off fans if Season 2 was never greenlit. Now that Season 2 is on, the REAL events could take place. For example... (SPOILER HEAVY BELOW PEOPLE)

T-Dawg = Tyreese
This would be an extremely big bummer. Anyone catch the two names that unnamed black girl that commits suicide mentions to him in the finale? If they share the names of Tyrees's daughter and boyfriend in the comic, all our fears would be more justified.

However, now that Season 2 is coming, the possibilities this is definitely going to be Tyreese seem much less likely. Maybe the writing staff was gonna make the suicide black girl Michonne, and Darabont axed them for that reason. (Or samurai sworded them, if you will.)

Merle cutting his hand off = Rick getting his hand cut off
Synonymous with Ricks treatment in the comic, Merle has to cut one of his hands off. Much like T-Dawg being Tyreese, I certainly hope Merle doesn't end up the Governor. It would be lazy story telling if that were the case. Plus I really don't think Merle would be able to get a group of people to follow his orders and believe he's a nice guy. Or that he has a daughter.

Vatos = Governors group of people
I thought the leader of the Vatos that turned out to be a lowly janitor was a much more similar character to the Governor; just with opposite intentions. Instead of really being evil, he was a good guy. The Governor seemed nice and turned out evil.

But the characters do both look alike, lead a group of people, presumably share the same ethnicity, and start out seeming the opposite of what they really are. They also both hold Glenn hostage.

Dr Edwin Jenner = Eugene
Eugene ain't a real scientist but is really only a school teacher. Compared to his wife, apparently Dr Jenner is at a school teacher level too. Once again, a somewhat similar angle but now they can easily shoehorn Eugene in later and it won't feel as similar.

CDC = Prison
Of course we'll be getting to the prison in the series. But if the show ended after Season 1, if would've been a very similar arc...just in one single episode. Carol finding books and saying they'd be busy for years was lifted directly from a prison episode. Everyone delightfully taking showers was in the prison too. A lot of things were very similar to the prison.

This was just a glimpse into what it'll be like when they reach there with a much fuller group of folks though, of course.

Glen getting extremely wasted = Glen pretending to get extremely wasted to steal guns
This ones pretty self-explanatory

Rick going crazy beating up the wife beater in the town = Shan going crazy beating up the guy beating Carrol
This one is also self-explanatory.

There is many more I noticed, but I'll have to review the series again to catch them. Anyone else notice the nods to the later issues in the show?