PDA

View Full Version : Walking Dead: What We Want From Season 2

darth los
09-Dec-2010, 08:22 PM
This article is a good read and it's also a great title for a thread.

So, now that we have digested the first season what does everyone want to see in season 2 and beyond?

http://tv.ign.com/articles/113/1139122p1.html

:cool:

bassman
09-Dec-2010, 09:42 PM
Looks like every editor at IGN wants Michonne and Tyrese. They're both already confirmed for season 2 by Darabont. As mentioned, it just remains to be seen if they'll make it to the prison or bring in Michonne before. As much as I love the prison, I hope they take their time getting there. The road trip from the CDC, to the gated community and Farm could be fantastic.

Can you imagine how huge the Comic Con panel will be next year? I imagine they'll have footage and now that this show is a huge hit, it's going to be bigger than the friggin Batman and Superman panel. :stunned:

Philly_SWAT
09-Dec-2010, 10:08 PM
Looks like every editor at IGN wants Michonne and Tyrese.
Count me among that group. However, the first season was more or less was original in terms of storyline, so I would not be surprised to not see those characters introduced ever, or maybe just in name only, but their characteristics, back story, etc. may be totally different.

Ghost Of War
10-Dec-2010, 07:28 AM
Yep, at least Michonne. I don't want them to find the prison (if that's the way they're going) until the very end of season 2. Also, I think the
group of cannibals they come across in the books
would make a good storyline for season 2. As would
the twin brothers, one of whom Carl kills

Wyldwraith
10-Dec-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm perfectly fine w/ them remaining "off book",
Looking for some resolution to the Rick/Lori/Shane thing, as they're obviously depicting the man in a SEVERE downward spiral. BTW Anyone else think it odd that Rick as a cop wouldn't recognize Shane's prominent 3-4 line-scratch-marks on his upper neck as the sort of telltale injury you might expect a criminal/someone guilty of some sort of assault/up-close fight to have? Will admit I couldnt see how they looked by the next morning when Rick saw them, but right when Lori did it you could've deleted the entire attack scene and fast-forwarded to Shane reeling back as she scratched him and I still woulda known what those scratches were. Anyone else? Thoughts?

Like one of the IGN editors said, I wouldn't mind seeing more flashbacks relating to main characters, but like him, only if they include the zombies already spreading. Oh, and as someone who hasnt read the comics I am greatly intrigued by this "badass sniper Andrea" mentioned. I'd like to see that come about for Andrea. Character with a ton of potential (like most of the main chars), but she needs something more than Amy-grief after a bit of distance into Season 2.

Other than that, I'll just hold faith with the general consensus of the IGN folks. More as good as premier, less like Vatos and TS-19 (though at least there were several parts of TS-19 I enjoyed). The only episode I outright disliked was Vatos/#4. Just can't swallow those Heart-of-Gold-Gangbangers.

Oh, and the group needs to hit some supply paydirt in a BIG WAY fairly early in Season 2. Don't mind privation, but please no more 3 episodes in a row driven by resources that are absent. Show them having to adapt to doing without instead. Besides, if some of the comic canon stuff you guys want to happen does happen, they needs LOTS more bullets.

JonOfTheShred
10-Dec-2010, 10:26 AM
- I'd like to see a depiction of Michonne

dealing with the apocalypse alone. How she manages to shackle her dead boyfriend and his buddy and her turn into a cold, calculated bad-ass of an almost Brock Samson level. No, she isn't quite there, but shes the closest character in the comic to Brock with Abraham in second place.

- I'm looking forward to Hershells farm.
- Obviously Tyreese
- Definitely hoping they cast a good Maggie. She best be lookin' fine
- A series of flashbacks similar to the hospital scene in the finale. I don't mind flashbacks, but not over excessive like the few episodes of Lost I actually watched seem to be. That was way too much.

bassman
10-Dec-2010, 12:00 PM
I'm perfectly fine w/ them remaining "off book",
Looking for some resolution to the Rick/Lori/Shane thing, as they're obviously depicting the man in a SEVERE downward spiral. BTW Anyone else think it odd that Rick as a cop wouldn't recognize Shane's prominent 3-4 line-scratch-marks on his upper neck as the sort of telltale injury you might expect a criminal/someone guilty of some sort of assault/up-close fight to have? Will admit I couldnt see how they looked by the next morning when Rick saw them, but right when Lori did it you could've deleted the entire attack scene and fast-forwarded to Shane reeling back as she scratched him and I still woulda known what those scratches were. Anyone else? Thoughts?

There's a chance he already knows. In the comic - Rick knows for a while but is in a bit of denial. Dale even straight up tells him that he thinks they're fucking around, but Rick just blocks it out. That source material coupled with what Dr Jenner whispered into Rick's ear after TAKING LORI'S BLOOD(wink wink) could suggest that maybe he already has an idea and is choosing not to accept it.

Like one of the IGN editors said, I wouldn't mind seeing more flashbacks relating to main characters, but like him, only if they include the zombies already spreading. Oh, and as someone who hasnt read the comics I am greatly intrigued by this "badass sniper Andrea" mentioned. I'd like to see that come about for Andrea. Character with a ton of potential (like most of the main chars), but she needs something more than Amy-grief after a bit of distance into Season 2.

Andrea gets much more than Amy grief. :elol: I'll put it in spoilers in case you choose to see what I mean.... She and Dale hook up and start doing "the deed" .
That's of course IF they follow the comics....which it looks like it could be leading there...

As for Michonne - As much as I love the character, i'm not so sure a 100% translation will work in the series. It's all great for the comics, but when you factor it into a "real" world tv series, it might seem a bit too Paul WS Anderson-ish. A woman in Atlanta, Georgia with badass skills with Katana swords? Not to mention pet zombies? I'm not so sure how that would translate to screen...

darth los
10-Dec-2010, 03:26 PM
Can you just imageine the backlash around here if GAr had even suggested having pet zombies!?! :duh:

krisvds
10-Dec-2010, 03:45 PM
Can you just imageine the backlash around here if GAr had even suggested having pet zombies!?! :duh:

True enough.

Just like so many took issue with GAR having zombies eating an animal in survival (sacrilege! he's making it up as he goes along! he's raping my childhood), while the walker eating a rat in TWD apparently equals: Darabont is the new king of the undead!!!!

I want more dread in the second season and less soap.

ProfessorChaos
10-Dec-2010, 03:50 PM
bass, michonne was a fencer in college. while fencing and katana-play are different, it at least establishes that she's got some ability with swords.

as for what i want, it's: (in order)

the whole "shane issue" to be resolved
the gated community
tyrese
hershel's farm and family
michonne
discovery of the prison for the season finale

EDIT: and NO inclusion of mr. romero in any fashion with this show.

bassman
10-Dec-2010, 04:09 PM
bass, michonne was a fencer in college. while fencing and katana-play are different, it at least establishes that she's got some ability with swords.

True dat. Just the image of Michonne doesn't seem "right" to me. That's IF they do an exact translation from the comics. Just imagine the look of the show and then plop her character into the middle of it. It could work, i'm not saying it wont, but at this point it seems a bit iffy to me....

Thorn
10-Dec-2010, 04:40 PM
I really want to see the gated community, and I need for it to be done right. It was such a powerful part of the comic... and the prison. Well I love everything about that bit except the Governor was a bit over the top for me after the "chopping" bit it was hard for me to digest. I hope that is toned down for RL. Comics make the impossible and over the top seem mundane. I do not feel that will translate well to the screen if left as is.

I also agree with Bass, she Mich is another character that works in comics that needs to be toned down for television and movies. I love the comics, and I love her n them but on screen I think we would be running into Buffy the vampire slayer over the top action and it just would feel very out of place.

Sammich
11-Dec-2010, 12:01 AM
I want to see more of Morgan and Dwayne since they make a much better father/son story. Up until now Carl has just been a puppy that follows Rick around, eats and sleeps.

Wyldwraith
11-Dec-2010, 01:09 AM
Well,
It sounds like this Michonne is something of a classic "Trenchcoat" character. Ie: The prototypical trenchcoat-wearing, katana and/or dual-pistol wielding, mirrored shades-having action hero(ine). Having no knowledge of the comics, I'm unable to speak to how well or poorly direct-translation of this or that as-yet-unintroduced to TV character will pan out. Will say this though: Katanas are PISS POOR weapons to try and do zombie-termination-level damage with. Something like a Falchion, some shortswords, or a broad/bastard-sword would work much better. Light slashing weapons don't have the prerequisite "Oomph" and piercing weapons rely on penetrating some VERY small moving targets. Obviously something a Knight would carry is unfeasible for a modern setting (plus, even if someone COULD use it, where are you going to find a fit-for-combat broadsword?

The heavy-bladed but well-balanced chopping-style Gladius would be ideal. Not the classic late Roman Centurion version, the early Roman or eastern Gaulish (French) version. Light enough to be used common-sense style like a machete, but with an edge and blade thickness/durability/flexibility that would make taking a head with it as easy as anything short of a battle-axe.

If you had guts you could use a heavy-duty garotte and just saw back and forth until you breached the spinal column, but thats got human hands too close to zombie mouths IMO.

Damn, the more I try to think of many reasonably "Ideal" melee combat weapons Vs. zombies in a modern setting with an eye to availability and ease of us, the more the list seems to narrow to what we've already seen. Fire axes, heavy pipes/bludgeons and baseball bats. Nothing wrong with that. If you could find some athletic tape to wrap round and round a nice prybar/crowbar or other well-balanced metal bludgeon, could make quite an efficient weapon.

Shame that Maces aren't available. A nice Morningstar (spiked ball on a shaft, no chain), would be wonderful. Bust heads like Gallagher with watermelons.

Ghoulman
11-Dec-2010, 11:47 AM
as for what i want, it's: (in order)

the whole "shane issue" to be resolved
the gated community
tyrese
hershel's farm and family
michonne
discovery of the prison for the season finale

EDIT: and NO inclusion of mr. romero in any fashion with this show.
I couldn't agree more!

As for Michonne and her "pet" zombies: I can totally see this working! Michonne shows up with two ghouls chained close to her, rubbing their nasty-ass funk all up on her shit. Both trying to attack and eat her but can't do squat because she's removed their lower jaws and arms. She's essentially taken all the piss outta their vinegar. It pretty much accomplishes exactly what Rick and Glenn did in “Guts” as her “pets” (and I’ve NEVER looked at them that way) are always in very close proximity to her, thus masking what little human smell remains on our samurai sword wielding, MPD friend. :)

shootemindehead
11-Dec-2010, 12:02 PM
Katanas are PISS POOR weapons...The heavy-bladed but well-balanced chopping-style Gladius would be ideal. Not the classic late Roman Centurion version, the early Roman or eastern Gaulish (French) version.

Hmmmm...I wouldn't agree. A well made katana is much stronger for choppng than a Roman style gladius. In fact the former is made for sweeping chopping movements and the bend in the blade gives it great durability and strength. The latter was designed for short stabbing movements. Effective against a human foe, but useless against a creature that wouldn't even feel the blade penetrate it's flesh.

Ghoulman
11-Dec-2010, 12:16 PM
The heavy-bladed but well-balanced chopping-style Gladius would be ideal. Not the classic late Roman Centurion version, the early Roman or eastern Gaulish (French) version. Light enough to be used common-sense style like a machete, but with an edge and blade thickness/durability/flexibility that would make taking a head with it as easy as anything short of a battle-axe.

Hmmmm...I wouldn't agree. A well made katana is much stronger for choppng than a Roman style gladius. In fact the former is made for sweeping chopping movements and the bend in the blade gives it great durability and strength. The latter was designed for short stabbing movements. Effective against a human foe, but useless against a creature that wouldn't even feel the blade penetrate it's flesh.

I love online forums man! You can always tell the newbs (me) from the veterans. The veterans always know how to get right to the fucking heart of the matter. It's like being married for twenty years... The foreplay is long fuckin' gone!! :)

shootemindehead
11-Dec-2010, 12:17 PM
I never really cared that much for the Michone character. I couldn't even pronounce her name properly until I heard Darabont say it. (I was calling her Mick Owen) But, I felt she got better and her story arc is great. I doubt we'll see that play out like for like in the TV show though. Some real hard stuff in there.

I felt her character was a bit comic nerd when she first appeared though. A bit "oooh samurais! Kewl!"

The zombie pet thng was ok, once it was established that they were a big pain in the arse to begin with and they just sort of gave up trying to bother her. That stikes me as ok.

She'll only work well in the TV show if she isn't an OTT "ballsy sassy mouth angry black girl ya ya sisterhood member" stereortype. She should be played understated and quietly assured, without the gob. Her "comicbook weakness" absolutely must be included too.

Remember, she's a mad as a box of frogs"

Ghoulman
11-Dec-2010, 12:37 PM
I never really cared that much for the Michone character. I couldn't even pronounce her name properly until I heard Darabont say it. (I was calling her Mick Owen) But, I felt she got better and her story arc is great. I doubt we'll see that play out like for like in the TV show though. Some real hard stuff in there.

I felt her character was a bit comic nerd when she first appeared though. A bit "oooh samurais! Kewl!"

The zombie pet thng was ok, once it was established that they were a big pain in the arse to begin with and they just sort of gave up trying to bother her. That stikes me as ok.

She'll only work well in the TV show if she isn't an OTT "ballsy sassy mouth angry black girl ya ya sisterhood member" stereortype. She should be played understated and quietly assured, without the gob. Her "comicbook weakness" absolutely must be included too.

Remember, she's a mad as a box of frogs"

I believe what Michonne has is Multiple Personality Dissorder. It's very much a coping mechanism for people who have to deal with extreme hardship in their lives. My wife and I occasionally see it in the public schools where we work... Poor kids.

EvilNed
11-Dec-2010, 12:46 PM
Ohhh. Swords! I love swords!

When I was a bit younger I was somewhat of a collector and studied them (on an amateur level, I might add).

But my two cents on what sword to bring?

The falcata, or the Kopis. An ancient Iberian sword designed for chopping movements. It was so effective that the Macedonians copied it and armed their professional armies with them (hence the change of name to the Kopis). It was kinda like the ancient worlds AK-47. Durable, cheap and trustworthy.

Swinging something like a Katana or Bastardsword (they are, for all intents and purposes, identical in this situation) would be nice for five minutes, but it would wear you out eventually. Katanas aren't that light, as some might think. A "good" katana would weigh upwards 2-2,5 kgs. That's a bit heavier than your average Bastardsword (which performs the exact same function as the Katana, as I noted earlier).

But problem is that both of these, while they are long and have an okay reach, would wear anyone out after too much use. And BOTH swords are meant to be used on battlefields, or at least wide open spaces. They'd be terribly inefficent in an urban situation, or just indoors overall (and that's where you'll be scavenging for food). They are battleswords, meant for battle. So is the Falcata, of course, but it's slightly shorter, lighter and easier to use.

As for a Katana-wielding character in The Walking Dead? That would put such a fucking huge and lame blow to the series. Let's face it, nobody can rely on swords in a undead situation. Swords wear and tear themselves down, and you wouldn't have any blacksmiths around to fix them up, like back in Medieval times.

Ghoulman
11-Dec-2010, 01:05 PM
I agree with you about a character with a sword EvilNed. It might seems hokey and would likely have to be used sparingly. On a similar vien, I'm curious as to why we haven't seen Rick using his trademark hatchet yet... his weapon-of-choice in the show seems to be his "Python". It'll be interesting to see if Tyreese comes in with his hammer as well or maybe a crowbar or something else instead.

Andy
11-Dec-2010, 02:27 PM
True enough.

Just like so many took issue with GAR having zombies eating an animal in survival (sacrilege! he's making it up as he goes along! he's raping my childhood), while the walker eating a rat in TWD apparently equals: Darabont is the new king of the undead!!!!

I want more dread in the second season and less soap.

I dont think the issue was so much a zombie eating an animal in survival, it was more the zombie riding a horse that pissed alot of people off. Zombies eating animals is nothing new, in the original Night a zombie eats a insect and in the original script for dawn, the central 4 characters had guard dogs which were devoured by zombies in the final scenes, it actually makes alot more sense to me that zombies would eat animals aswell as humans, that the role of zombie would be to strip the world of all life, not just ours.

Now a zombie riding a horse... people around here complain about them running or jumping or even roaring sometimes.. and then romero comes along and goes 'oh yeah they can ride horses now'.. thats going to go down well isnt it?

The way i look at it, bub was about as inteligent as a zombie should ever get, and that was with a intense, obsessive, absolutly insane scientific genius watching over him 24/7.. bub was a zombie at its peak but only becuase of logan, without that external force on him, he would of been a mindless shambler. Thats right, thats the level it should be and thats he issue with big daddy, who was arguably smarter than bub, acting with NO EXTERNAL FORCE like some kind of zombie jesus and the same with a zombie riding a horse.. they should be able to use blunt instruments as bludgeons and that is all they should be able to do.

shootemindehead
11-Dec-2010, 04:21 PM
I think the katana thing will be ok if it's reduced to a side arm thingy and not the main focus of her character. But, if she's wading into 15+ zombies lobbing heads off left, right and centre, then that's a bg no no for me.

Even in the comics, the sword action was pretty much dropped in later issues.

Wyldwraith
11-Dec-2010, 07:53 PM
About the Gladius comment,
This was why I SPECIFICALLY referenced the exact type. I absolutely agree that the stabbing weapon which became the "sidearm" of the standardized Roman Legions would be useless for fighting zombies. HOWEVER, THIS Gladius was PREDATED by an earlier, heavy-bladed short falchion-like chopping weapon. Basically a thicker, stronger, sharper-bladed machete, used most often for slashing off spearheads, striking at extremities and the upper shoulders where the chest-armor of many "barbarian" cultures were thin, as they were affixed to the body cloak-style.

I also made comments about actual Falchions and Bastard/hand-and-a-half swords. Which are easily the most common combat-fit weapons suitable for battle against a ghoul. The reach isn't awesome, but its a DAMN SIGHT BETTER than a baseball bat.

As for needing blacksmiths...a well-cared-for blade can remain serviceable for quite some time unless you're very unfortunate. Yes, the burrs and nicks will eventually widen into structure-compromising cracks, but I would give a falchion in excellent condition perhaps use against 50-75 zombies before maintenance you'd need a skilled metal-worker to do becomes an issue. This is assuming that the person wielding the Falchion or Bastard Sword isn't blindly hacking at whatever part of the zombie their non-aimed/barely-directed blow the edge of which happens to hit. Under THOSE circumstances, used baseball-bat-style then yes, a sword would wear out too quickly to be worth carting around.

However, with just my basic "Sword and Board" training from my time with the Society of Creative Anachronisms (S.C.A/"Scadians"), I would take a combat-fit Falchion, heavy-bladed shortsword or one of the lighter Bastard Swords LONG before I'd pick up an aluminum baseball bat if the two were lying side-by-side. A blade capable of removing a limb could save a friend/loved one's life from a grasping zombie, where simply shattering the bones of the arm with a bludgeon might not.

Finally, and this was the most critical piece of my previous post that wasn't quoted. I freely admitted that a ball-mace/morningstar (not a spiked ball on a chain attached to a handle, that's a Flail). A studded metal head on a sturdy wooden shaft thats well-balanced would be absolutely IDEAL for melee engagements with a ghoul. Hit a limb solidly, that limb wont be reaching for you again. A couple of blows to the middle of the back could easily sever the spine, and (of course) such a mace would be PERFECT for smashing a skull right down to the white-matter of the brain.

As anyone who has read many of my previous posts know, I am NOT an advocate of the idea of going toe-to-toe in melee with zombies. You'd be playing to your enemy's strength and against your weakness, as well as rapidly depleting the stamina you'll need in an emergency. Far better to either avoid the zombie(s) if possible, trap them in a permanent way if easily accomplished (going in the front door of a house, waiting for several to pursue you inside, then out the back after closing the door. You or a comrade could then simply close the front door from the outside and voila, instant zombie detainment. If such avoidance/non-detection, or outmaneuvering doesn't work, then (if the situation demands), eliminate them at range if at all possible.

Close combat with a ghoul should be a worst-case-scenario that, while you've prepared and are equipped for it, should only happen as the last of last resorts. It isn't a zombie movie so, even if the impossibility of undead reanimation somehow occurred, zombies would have no better than humans as far as perception-acuity goes. Yes, if you run away five miles in a straight line and then stop for a long rest, the relentless zombie may very well catch up. However, if you turn 90 degrees left or right once out of sight/earshot, there's no reason to believe that/those zombie(s) will find you. They wouldn't be bloodhounds, and they wouldn't have a preternatural "life sense" to home in on humans from a mile+ away.

Anyways, just wanted to clear the weapon-related comments up. Don't claim to be any sort of weapons expert, just someone who dabbles here and there due to my history hobby.

Legion2213
11-Dec-2010, 10:51 PM
Katanas are good for trenchcoated folk with shades (or maybe people who are actually trained to use them)...me, I'd rather have a heavy machete or a proper flanged mace as a last ditch melee weapon. :)

Good shout on the falcata style sword though, like the kukuri, it is designed for lopping of heads or any other body parts that get in it's path.

Skold
12-Dec-2010, 05:09 AM
For season two i hope people wait to see what happens before they jump to conclusions, and that Wyldwraith learns how to summarize his posts.

shootemindehead
12-Dec-2010, 08:01 PM
About the Gladius comment,
This was why I SPECIFICALLY referenced the exact type. I absolutely agree that the stabbing weapon which became the "sidearm" of the standardized Roman Legions would be useless for fighting zombies. HOWEVER, THIS Gladius was PREDATED by an earlier, heavy-bladed short falchion-like chopping weapon.

Ah, ok. The "Gladius' threw me then. The name of the weapon you mean is probably a Falx.

*edit - Or Falcata, as I've just seen Legion say above!

EvilNed
12-Dec-2010, 09:11 PM
I'm a bit confused as well. Personally, I do not see much resemblence between the Gallic/Iberian Falcata and a Gladius, but I have heard before that it was something the romans adapted.

Truth be told, I find it much more likely that the Roman gladius evolved from the Spartan Xiphos, and not the Iberian Falcata.

Also, a Gladius is a Roman weapon, not a Barbarian one, as Gladius is a latin name, and also the name of a Roman sword. The Barbaric/Spartan predecessor to the Gladius was simply not a Gladius. It was either a Falcata or a Xiphos (or something else entirely!).

Sammich
12-Dec-2010, 09:14 PM
Hell, just be done with it and give me a lightsaber.

blind2d
12-Dec-2010, 11:49 PM
Noodle used a katana... but again, that was against three zeds, tops. And they were in a nice open field...
So yeah, if I were going Japanese sword, my pick would be the lesser-known Wakizashi. This one's the back-up blade. It's smaller and lighter, and mainly used for suicide, but yeah, I think it would do the job pretty well. But hey, my friend's got at least three servicable machetes, so I'd just borrow one o' his, wouldn't I?
As for the next season, all I want is... more zombie action, really. And maybe a big stand-off between the two cops (sorry, can't be arsed with names right now). Everything else (if they keep up their standards so far) I think will be absolutely fine.

EvilNed
13-Dec-2010, 12:07 AM
Hell, just be done with it and give me a lightsaber.

Or a phaser. On highest setting. Vavoom!

Wyldwraith
13-Dec-2010, 01:20 PM
Wouldn't mind that Plasma-arc collapsible thing Whistler's Daughter was using in Blade Trinity.
Screw it, who am I kidding. I have a torn Bursae nerve in my dominant arm's shoulder. I'm dead if I have to swing more than once in a GREAT while. Adrenaline might get me through the fight, but I'd still be left with an arm that'd be all but useless if the scar tissue around my left Bursae nerve is breached. So just give me a military-model Mossberg 12-gauge and call it a day. If it's far enough away I can't use a slug or 00 buckshot on it, I shouldn't be shooting at it.