PDA

View Full Version : vehicles from TWD

mpokera
10-Dec-2010, 05:11 PM
Was just rewatching TS-19 again and again it struck me that the ehicles they travel in are pretty impractical. I realize the RV is canon from the comics and so it is required but anyone familiar with The Zombie Survival Guide knows the reasons why it would be a problem. Imagine trying to navigate that beast thruough any decent sized pileup (of which I think there should be many more than have been seen so far) but the one that really bothers me is Shane's Jeep. How could an open air behicle be a good idea? If they ever have to navigate or escape an area with plenty of walkers.......
First Thread btw so be gentle ;)

bassman
10-Dec-2010, 05:15 PM
I said the same thing about the jeep. Kinda silly when you consider whats happening, but there's also a possibility it was Shane's car before everything went to hell, so he's naturally hanging onto it. Seems like a car he would drive, anyway. But silly to keep it in that situation...

mpokera
10-Dec-2010, 05:23 PM
I also suspected it might have been his from before. And I can actually see some benefit to having a smaller more nimble and most importantly, four wheel drive vehicle. But having no protection from grasping walkers would just be asking to die IMO

MikePizzoff
10-Dec-2010, 07:07 PM
Good first thread, I must say.

I also thought "WTF is he doing?" when it showed Shane driving a Jeep. You hit the nail on the head by saying he pretty much has a deathwish driving that thing.

acealive1
10-Dec-2010, 07:55 PM
just like riley said in land "i dont know about you, but i dont wanna be out here in anything without a roof"

bassman
10-Dec-2010, 08:12 PM
just like riley said in land "i dont know about you, but i dont wanna be out here in anything without a roof"

Yet Riley also drives a jeep. :lol:

acealive1
10-Dec-2010, 08:36 PM
Yet Riley also drives a jeep. :lol:

how many times did we see him drive it tho?

bassman
10-Dec-2010, 08:58 PM
Not very much. Just making a joke that he says that line and drives around in a jeep in the same movie...

FunkyPertwee
10-Dec-2010, 09:39 PM
I don't think a normal car is going to provide much more shelter.

I imagine the Jeep wouldn't be a big deal unless they got bogged down in walkers, in which case they're done for in a car anyway, or if it gets real cold.

He may keep a variety of tops for different occasion, such as a cloth top folded up in the storage area.

All in all, I'd consider the increased mobility, reliability, the ease of replacing parts and the ease in scrounging for spare parts would outweigh the downside of increased exposure during SHTF, as long as it isn't freezing out.

mpokera
10-Dec-2010, 09:51 PM
Have to disagree, I can easily see a situation where you had to force your way thru a small knot of walkers. Clustered around a pileup of cars on a highway maybe. Imagine gunning your way through only to realize one had lunged and somehow happened to fall into the back seat. Or got thrown up on to the hood and now trying its best to crawl over the windshield, or just grabbing as you went by and being dragged along, or....

FunkyPertwee
11-Dec-2010, 12:46 AM
Have to disagree, I can easily see a situation where you had to force your way thru a small knot of walkers. Clustered around a pileup of cars on a highway maybe. Imagine gunning your way through only to realize one had lunged and somehow happened to fall into the back seat. Or got thrown up on to the hood and now trying its best to crawl over the windshield, or just grabbing as you went by and being dragged along, or....

That is what my gunner in the passenger seat or rear compartment will be for. Plus that will be another advantage of a removable top, a rifleman can stand and shoot from the roof. If there's so many walkers that you can risk being heard, your probably driving in the wrong direction.

Also, I don't remember his doors. Some Jeeps are mostly exposed but have hard windows on the doors.

acealive1
11-Dec-2010, 04:51 AM
Not very much. Just making a joke that he says that line and drives around in a jeep in the same movie...

i got ya,man. but we cant compare riley with shane......shane is an idiot LOL

Kaos
11-Dec-2010, 05:38 AM
Thread moved.

Legion2213
11-Dec-2010, 08:39 AM
I'd assumed that these people got out of dodge in the vehicles they were driving and not looked back or actually had time/resources to go looking for better (they had very few guns or ammo before Rick got back with the big bag o'guns if you remember).

Good practical cars will still be there once you have established a safe fortress and armed yourself properly...then you could go out (well prepared with all you need) and get four or five really good vehicles in one go.

Ghoulman
11-Dec-2010, 11:14 AM
My original thought was "Okay, so it's the end of the world and EVERYONE is fleeing in their own damn car, WTF!?" Then I pretty much chalked it up to being EARLY on in the apocolypse and that pesky little absolutely-no-more-gasaline thing hasn't totally set in yet.

shootemindehead
11-Dec-2010, 11:19 AM
The thing is though, is that TWD doesn't seem to present many packed groups of walkers. So, it doesn't seem to be an issue for them. Hence, nobody cares about the jeep.

There are huge stretches of journey where they appear to meet no zombies at all. It's like they're on a Sunday drive at times. It looks like they don't really fear such an event happening.