PDA

View Full Version : Golden Globe nomination for WD

Mikey
14-Dec-2010, 06:43 PM
You see, George, if you put some effort into developing character and plot, rather than writing about how to kill zombies with different gags, you may might have gotten the same recognition. I don't intend for this post to sound "smarmy" or disrespectful, in case it comes across that way. I just wish the man who really made three great films would put the zombies in his movie as a background to the characters.

bassman
14-Dec-2010, 06:50 PM
How bout some info on the actual nomination? :shifty:

Edit:
After searching, it's only up for best drama tv series. Against Boardwalk Empire, Dexter, The Good Wife, and Mad Men.

Andrew Lincoln got the shaft for best male performance. He deserves the nomination for the first episode alone....

thxleo
14-Dec-2010, 06:54 PM
How bout some info on the actual nomination? :shifty:

It was nominated for best television drama, along with Mad Men, Dexter, and two other shows.

edit - On a side note, I was in Los Angeles last week and had the chance to visit KNB again. I was talking with Howard Berger and he is convinced that Greg will win his third Emmy award next year for the show. Let's hope he is right because Greg deserves it for the incredible work.

kidgloves
14-Dec-2010, 07:34 PM
It was nominated for best television drama, along with Mad Men, Dexter, and two other shows.

edit - On a side note, I was in Los Angeles last week and had the chance to visit KNB again. I was talking with Howard Berger and he is convinced that Greg will win his third Emmy award next year for the show. Let's hope he is right because Greg deserves it for the incredible work.

Amen to that. The effects are incredible

DjfunkmasterG
15-Dec-2010, 03:01 AM
While the show didn't score oodles of nods, which I sort of expected it wouldn't it still got a nod in best TV Drama category and against some mighty heavy weights. Just to be nominated along side those shows is an honor.

blind2d
15-Dec-2010, 04:15 AM
Agreed. Great avatar, by the way, DJ.

krisvds
15-Dec-2010, 03:09 PM
You see, George, if you put some effort into developing character and plot, rather than writing about how to kill zombies with different gags, you may might have gotten the same recognition. I don't intend for this post to sound "smarmy" or disrespectful, in case it comes across that way. I just wish the man who really made three great films would put the zombies in his movie as a background to the characters.

Why is it that so many around here can't seem to express their appreciation for TWD without having a go at Romero?
Give the guy a break. He owes you nothing.

darth los
15-Dec-2010, 03:39 PM
Because his work has deteteriorated to the level of a sy-fy original film.

From someone who is capable of so much more as we have seen, it's heartbreaking.

And no, i don't believe Night, Dawn and Day are flukes. One time is a fluke. Or perhaps 3 films made within a 4 year span. Striking while to iron is hot so to speak, but not 3 films over a 17 year span. It's a certain formula he goes back to and uses when it suits him so why isn't he uses it anymore?

So it is inexplicable to most of us how the quality of film can vary so wildy from masterpiece to sy-fy original.

And no, I don't want another DAWn. I don't think any of us want him to keep making the same film over and over. But like everything else, there are fundamentals to good, captivating film making and it seems to be something he has lost.

:cool:

krisvds
15-Dec-2010, 03:49 PM
Yeah, i can understand your disappointment. And those recent films of his aren't as good as the original trilogy. Very few horror films are. I just don't think they are as crap as so many think. They are just small, enjoyable zombie flicks with a bit more intelligence than your run of the mill horror film. For me, that is.
I just don't get the constant GAR-bashing. As if the old guy cares. He made three true classics and basically invented a whole subgenre.

AcesandEights
15-Dec-2010, 04:18 PM
They are just small, enjoyable zombie flicks with a bit more intelligence than your run of the mill horror film. For me, that is.

I think the newer films are fairly intellectually irredeemable, but as you say, for the purposes of polite discussion it's all going to come down to opinion.

MoonSylver
15-Dec-2010, 05:23 PM
Why is it that so many around here can't seem to express their appreciation for TWD without having a go at Romero?

Because at this point the two are fused together at the hip like siamese twins, chained together for all eternity. You CAN'T have one without the other. There is a curse on the land that you must insult GAR in the same breath as any praise of TWD or else millions will die, cities will fall, nations will crumble, the mongols will invade, the world will as'plode, the sun will go nova, the universe will fold in on itself, bloody mary will appear behind you, etc, etc, etc.

I hope this has been helpful. :)

bassman
15-Dec-2010, 05:49 PM
I agree that it's kinda silly to bring up Romero in every TWD discussion, but it's just one of those things. When you're held as the king or creator of something, you're always going to be compared to those similar that follow. Like I mentioned in another thread, it's like watching a shark movie and NOT comparing it to Jaws. It's bound to come up in discussion. As the creator of the modern zombie, Romero has that comparison to deal with. TWD isn't the first to be compared to his work and it won't be the last....

Legion2213
15-Dec-2010, 06:07 PM
It cuts both ways doesn't it.

If people are going to compare GAR's work against terrible zombie movies, they must be willing to compare them against superior works as well.

He is probably the single most closely associated individual in the world when it comes to the zombie genre.

Same with Matheson and the "I Am Legend" remakes really.

Edit: GAR's first three zombie films are the benchmark for me...anything else I watch is instantly compared to them.

TWD will become the benchmark of zombie TV series, I will never be able to watch another zombie series without comparing it to TWD (and let's hope we get plenty of chances to do just that). :)

darth los
15-Dec-2010, 06:08 PM
Because at this point the two are fused together at the hip like siamese twins, chained together for all eternity. You CAN'T have one without the other. There is a curse on the land that you must insult GAR in the same breath as any praise of TWD or else millions will die, cities will fall, nations will crumble, the mongols will invade, the world will as'plode, the sun will go nova, the universe will fold in on itself, bloody mary will appear behind you, etc, etc, etc.

I hope this has been helpful. :)

Fan # 1: This genre is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions !
Gar: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Fan # 2: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Romero, real wrath of God type stuff.
Fan # 1: Exactly.
Fan # 3: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Fan # 1: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Fan # 2: The dead rising from the grave!
Fan # 3: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

All Fans: Please Gar. People are losing their minds out there. For the sake of the human race you must cease and desist this crap you're doing and make good films again. It's our only hope!

krisvds
15-Dec-2010, 06:23 PM
Lol!

On topic: only one, albeit prestigious, nomination?
No love for Demunn or Lincoln? Too bad. They really stand out.

@AcesandEights : you want intellectually irredeemable horror? Go watch Uwe Boll or Rob Zombie films. Now that shit is dumb!

Legion2213
15-Dec-2010, 06:29 PM
I've never watched any of Uwe Bollocks or Rob Zombies efforts...but I suspect they would make "Diary" look like the greatest movie of all time... :)

Just dl'd "Flight of the Living Dead" though...probably give it a spin later on. :D

bassman
15-Dec-2010, 07:26 PM
I've said it many times before and I'll continue to defend it as long as it takes.....The Devil's Rejects is the shiz-nit.

The remake of Halloween is also better than the original. So suck on THAT! :p

darth los
15-Dec-2010, 07:49 PM
I've said it many times before and I'll continue to defend it as long as it takes.....The Devil's Rejects is the shiz-nit.

I'll back you up all the way on that one Bass.

I had zero reverence for the original series. I think they are the worst of the "Big 3" slasher films by far. (Freddy, Jason, Meyers)

The new halloween along with TDR and House of 1,000 corpses are sick, brutal films. Right up my alley.

kidgloves
15-Dec-2010, 07:52 PM

GTFOH
I hope that some kind of inside joke:rant:

bassman
15-Dec-2010, 08:02 PM
No joke, hombre. And as you can already see...i'm not alone.

thxleo
15-Dec-2010, 08:50 PM
GTFOH
I hope that some kind of inside joke:rant:

Kidgloves, I know exactly how you feel. If you hear someone say something as idiotic as the remake of Halloween is better than the original, just consider the source.

Mitchified
15-Dec-2010, 09:07 PM
As much as I enjoyed The Walking Dead, it's going to need something of a miracle to win the award. It was good and all, but this season of Dexter was one of the strongest in the series' history. I wasn't all that impressed with Mad Men this year so I'd bet that The Walking Dead gets more votes than that, but frankly Dexter deserves the award and I hope that it wins.

bassman
15-Dec-2010, 09:52 PM
As much as I enjoyed The Walking Dead, it's going to need something of a miracle to win the award.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect TWD to win much of anything. It's more of a "just to be nominated" show. Maybe the effects categories, but that would just be because the competition is so slim....

MoonSylver
16-Dec-2010, 01:17 AM
Fan # 1: This genre is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions !
Gar: What do you mean, "biblical"?
Fan # 2: What he means is Old Testament, Mr. Romero, real wrath of God type stuff.
Fan # 1: Exactly.
Fan # 3: Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Fan # 1: Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
Fan # 2: The dead rising from the grave!
Fan # 3: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

You just gave Bass-y a GB-gasm. ;)

Lol!

On topic: only one, albeit prestigious, nomination?
No love for Demunn or Lincoln? Too bad. They really stand out.

@AcesandEights : you want intellectually irredeemable horror? Go watch Uwe Boll Now that shit is dumb!

Agreed & agreed.

Just dl'd "Flight of the Living Dead" though...probably give it a spin later on. :D

I actually LIKED that one. Not great in an artistic sense, but a fun fun albeit cliched zombie movie that surprised me with how well it was done (budget/FX wise)

Hafta find it first.

http://blog1.ebates.com/ebates/Tweezerman.jpg

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/t/to/topfer/967211_magnifying_glass.jpg

:evil::elol::sneaky::moon::nana::fin::lol:

krisvds
16-Dec-2010, 07:03 AM

Ok. Devil's rejects and its predecessor ARE very gorey, fun horror films.

You can't be serious? We are talking about the same remake right? The one where the Michael Myers character gets this awful backstory sucking all mystery out of the character? The one devoid of all suspense? You need to rewatch Carpenters original. Pay attention to the photography, the way Carpenter builds suspense is Hitchcock worthy IMO. One of the best horror films of all time me thinks.

bassman
16-Dec-2010, 11:56 AM
Hafta find it first.

http://blog1.ebates.com/ebates/Tweezerman.jpg

http://www.sxc.hu/pic/m/t/to/topfer/967211_magnifying_glass.jpg

:evil::elol::sneaky::moon::nana::fin::lol:

You know what they say....It's not the size of the boat, it's the motion of the ocean. :lol:

You can't be serious? We are talking about the same remake right? The one where the Michael Myers character gets this awful backstory sucking all mystery out of the character? The one devoid of all suspense? You need to rewatch Carpenters original. Pay attention to the photography, the way Carpenter builds suspense is Hitchcock worthy IMO. One of the best horror films of all time me thinks.

Do we really need every member of the board to ask the same question because a few people have an opinion that differs from most horror fanboys? I've already said it....yes I'm serious. I don't need to rewatch anything. Carpenter's best horror film was The Thing and Halloween doesn't even come close. I prefer the backstory Zombie gave to the story. Although a white trash backstory, at least it gave the story some weight. Carpenter's original isn't necessarily bad, but it's very overrated, imho.

God forbid someone has an opinion of their own that differs from the majority. :rolleyes:

krisvds
16-Dec-2010, 12:51 PM
Do we really need every member of the board to ask the same question because a few people have an opinion that differs from most horror fanboys? I've already said it....yes I'm serious. I don't need to rewatch anything. Carpenter's best horror film was The Thing and Halloween doesn't even come close. I prefer the backstory Zombie gave to the story. Although a white trash backstory, at least it gave the story some weight. Carpenter's original isn't necessarily bad, but it's very overrated, imho.

God forbid someone has an opinion of their own that differs from the majority. :rolleyes:

and you are telling that to someone who has been virulently attacked for liking survival? ;-)

bassman
16-Dec-2010, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure about you being attacked, but you wouldn't differ from the majority around here on that topic. Check out the poll on Survival and you'll see that most people here like it to some extent.

krisvds
16-Dec-2010, 01:49 PM
I'm not sure about you being attacked, but you wouldn't differ from the majority around here on that topic. Check out the poll on Survival and you'll see that most people here like it to some extent.

Yeah. Not attacked. Virulently disagreed with by a very vocal minority. It's all good you know. That's what we are here for no?

DjfunkmasterG
16-Dec-2010, 07:44 PM

You should have left it a TDR being the shiz-nit. You ruined a perfectly good comment by adding that his remake of Halloween is better. I have a feeling Lou may come in here with a wadded up newspaper and slap you on the nose with it and say "Bad Bassman, Bad"

:lol:

darth los
16-Dec-2010, 08:40 PM
I got you're back bass.

What can we say. It's also inexplicable to me how anyone can like land, but they do.

That's just their taste. What can i say, a seven foot tall slutty mom having MM just works for us. :lol:

LouCipherr
16-Dec-2010, 09:14 PM
You should have left it a TDR being the shiz-nit. You ruined a perfectly good comment by adding that his remake of Halloween is better. I have a feeling Lou may come in here with a wadded up newspaper and slap you on the nose with it and say "Bad Bassman, Bad"

I got you're back bass

*charges into the room with wadded up newspaper clenched in fist, sweating, hyperventilating*

All right, who brought up that goddamn piece of shit remake of Halloween??

*points newspaper at bassman*

Was it you?

*turns and points newspaper at darth los*

YOU?!

That's it, everyone out of the pool! This party is over!

:lol: :D

(TDR still rocks nuts though :p)

blind2d
17-Dec-2010, 01:29 AM
Do I have to defend Land again?! Come on... look, it's the only GAR flick with skateboarding, it's got Dennis "Castrophony" Hopper, it's got Luigi from the Super Mario Bros. Movie, cheerleader zombie, Pretty Boy, "Stenches" (okay, not cool, but yeah....), explosions (a must!), and Dead Reckoning! Not to mention Simon Pegg cameo, and "You got fucked! Hahahakhakhak"! So yes... I like this film.

Sammich
17-Dec-2010, 03:37 AM
I like High School of the Dead more than TWD. Every episode had something to see.

Doc
17-Dec-2010, 05:23 AM
Carpenter's best horror film was The Thing and Halloween doesn't even come close.

The Thing his best film? I never saw it that way. Assault on Precinct 13 (granted I haven't seen this one in a while), and Starman seemed like better films than that one. Though, I'm not or think will ever be a fan of the remake and much prefer the original "The Thing from Another World" to it's more popular remake.

I prefer the backstory Zombie gave to the story. Although a white trash backstory, at least it gave the story some weight.

BUT BUT BUT! NOT HAVING A BACKSTORY MADE HIM SCARIER!:confused::eek:

MoonSylver
17-Dec-2010, 06:05 AM
"You got fucked! Hahahakhakhak"!

That guy was awesome. :D

bassman
17-Dec-2010, 12:13 PM
The Thing his best film? I never saw it that way. Assault on Precinct 13 (granted I haven't seen this one in a while), and Starman seemed like better films than that one. Though, I'm not or think will ever be a fan of the remake and much prefer the original "The Thing from Another World" to it's more popular remake.

Best horror film. Although IMO, it would also probably be Carpenter's best work all around. They Live a close second. :)

More often than not, I would agree with you on this. But Myers in the original is just a seven foot bafoon walking around killing teens for no reason, really. Sure, they give a small explanation about his past but it just didn't add up well enough to equal a gigantic mute with a William Shatner mask and an urge to kill. I felt like Zombie made it more believable and engaging. It gave you something to base the entire story on rather than teens, tits, and blood.

Like I said before....I'm not sayin Carpenter's original is garbage, it's just not as good as some make it out to be, imho.

LouCipherr
17-Dec-2010, 03:16 PM
I felt like Zombie made it more believable and engaging. It gave you something to base the entire story on rather than teens, tits, and blood.

So the white-trash angle made Michael Meyers more believeable to you? Are you serious dude? :lol:

bassman
17-Dec-2010, 03:19 PM
So the white-trash angle made Michael Meyers more believeable to you? Are you serious dude? :lol:

Yup. While I agree that the white trash stuff was over the top, it's still believable. Look at psychos of the past. Most of them come from broken homes just like Myers in the remake.

Is it really SOOO hard to believe that someone likes the remake over the original? There are people out there that hail Dawn04 as the greatest zombie movie ever, for fucks sake! :lol:

LouCipherr
17-Dec-2010, 03:24 PM
Yup. While I agree that the white trash stuff was over the top, it's still believable. Look at psychos of the past. Most of them come from broken homes just like Myers in the remake.

Is it really SOOO hard to believe that someone likes the remake over the original? There are people out there that hail Dawn04 as the greatest zombie movie ever, for fucks sake! :lol:

That crap wasn't belileveable, it was exactly as you said: over the top - making it completely unbelieveable in the process. What made Michael creepy was that he was from a middle class home with middle class parents in a middle class neighborhood. You didn't expect him to go full-tilt-psycho. In the remake, it would've been more shocking if he became a graduate of Harvard rather than a psycho. :lol:

It's not so hard to believe, it's the reasons for liking it that are hard to believe for me. ;)

JonOfTheShred
18-Dec-2010, 08:27 AM
Oh god, Rob Zombies Halloween better than John Carpenters? Now all I gotta hear is that Dawn '04 was bett....no, no, something far worse. I gotta hear the Day of the Dead remake with Vhing Rhames is better than the original Day. THEN my head will explode.

Doc
18-Dec-2010, 11:33 AM
Oh god, Rob Zombies Halloween better than John Carpenters? Now all I gotta hear is that Dawn '04 was bett....no, no, something far worse. I gotta hear the Day of the Dead remake with Vhing Rhames is better than the original Day. THEN my head will explode.

The Star War prequels are just as, good as the originals! :-X

JonOfTheShred
18-Dec-2010, 12:47 PM

:stunned:

LouCipherr
20-Dec-2010, 06:53 PM

Somebody get me my rolled-up newspaper again! I have some swattin' to do! :D :lol:

darth los
20-Dec-2010, 08:21 PM

Tell that to the dude with the kitchen knife rammed through his skull.