PDA

View Full Version : Kevin Smith's upcoming film: RED STATE

LouCipherr
28-Dec-2010, 02:32 PM
It's being billed by him as a 'horror' movie, so I posted it in the horror section. Personally, if you ask me, it looks more like a suspense/thriller based on the teaser, but I digress.

Have you guys seen the teaser trailer? If so, what do you think?

For the lazy:

SmmnVGyLajw

I'm excited to see this for a few reasons.. first off, Michael Parks. Love that dude, and think he's a fantastic actor. Second, this looks SO unlike any of Smith's other films - I didn't think he had something like this in him! Third, I'm very interested to see how he stretched a 4 million budget out on this filck.

It looks very interesting. This 'teaser' doesn't tell us much, but it certainly makes me want to see more. Parks looks and sounds like a CREEPY motherfucker in this trailer. :D

bassman
28-Dec-2010, 02:56 PM
I'm excited for this. It's nice to finally see Smith branching out into other areas. I've always thought he had it in him, he's just been pigeon holed into the Jay and Bob/stoner thing like Romero's been stuck with the dead thing.

And as you'd mentioned - Michael motherfuckin' Parks! I was so excited when I heard he was cast as the Phelps-like character in this flick. It just seems like perfect casting. It's also always nice to see John Goodman doing his thing.

So yeah....bring on Red State. I'll definitely check it out.

LouCipherr
28-Dec-2010, 04:02 PM
Yeah, I was kinda surprised when Smith mentioned he nabbed John Goodman to be in the flick. Even more of a reason to go see it - but for me, Parks is the main reason I want to see this flick. That and the fact that Smith has gone and done something so outside of the norm for himself. While I like all his previous films (save for one or two that will remain nameless to avoid conflict.. :lol:).

I noticed a quick flash of Ralph Garman in that teaser too. When I see him, all I can think about is him being the radio Dj in Sharktopus. *shudders*

Not sure if you listen to any of his podcasts, bassman, but I've "heard" other clips from Red State on his "Red State of the Union" podcast, and while this looks like a complete departure from his previous films, I will say there's some extremely familiar dialogue in the film (ie: a bunch of sex talk, at least in one scene). I hope it doesn't take away from the film, but I guess that remains to be seen.

The cinematography has that very gritty 70's movie feel to it. :D

"You better believe I fear God." :D

MinionZombie
28-Dec-2010, 05:47 PM
Suspense/thriller? No way, that looks like a horror movie to me. :cool:

Saw this a few days ago, but was too lazy to post about it, so thanks to Lou for doing the leg work. :D

As for 'traditional Smith dialogue' - I think that's really only in the first act, as he was saying it starts out with familiar Smith touches and sounds, but then it takes a big old turn in a different direction. So it's good to see Smith doing something different too, as all of his flicks have been comedies - so I'm really looking forward to seeing Red State, to see what this dude can bring to the horror genre - it's definitely got my interest piqued.

I've never seen Sharktopus, so Ralph Garman - to me - is the Hollywood Babble-On podcast, Pacino impression and all - "it's out of control, OOH-AHH!" :D Speaking of which, HB-O 3 hour New Year's special this week, ho yeah! :)

LouCipherr
28-Dec-2010, 06:25 PM
Suspense/thriller? No way, that looks like a horror movie to me. :cool:

Do tell, MZ - how do you get 'horror' from that teaser? :lol: I mean, I see people with guns, I see people scared, but I also see those same things in thrillers. However.... when I see a teaser/trailer for horror films, they look quite a bit different. ;)

I mean, I could very well be wrong, but that teaser doesn't scream "horror" - it screams suspense/thriller to me. Of course, I've been wrong once or twice in my life.. :shifty:

MinionZombie
29-Dec-2010, 09:56 AM
A bunch of lunatics capturing sex crazed teens who are caged, running, screaming, bloody, etc ... looks like a horror film to me. :)

Danny
29-Dec-2010, 10:48 AM
Do tell, MZ - how do you get 'horror' from that teaser? :lol: I mean, I see people with guns, I see people scared,

maybe you gotta be from outside of america to get that but folks with guns in a dusty american town? thats a trailer for a horror movie more often than not. Which is kind of interesting to see, will it roll in theaters before other flicks and in america the audience gut reaction will be "well they have firearms, there must be a tense situation occurring- is this a drama?" but in other places your gonna get "oh fuck, they got guns, who are they out to kill?". Smith's filmmaking sensibilities fall much more into the canadian mentality of writing and directing than american so hes ,ind of an odd bird to be doing something like this so its probably gonna be either something unique and lauded or something seen as kevs' next lukewarm crapfest.
though honestly its a smith flick with jon goodman in a major role. thats a recipe for something potentially quite special.
Makes me think the trailer is gonna have to be recut though. Or its gonna have a lot of folks expecting a very different flm and spreading some bad word of mouth for it y'know?

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 12:45 PM
maybe you gotta be from outside of america to get that but folks with guns in a dusty american town? thats a trailer for a horror movie more often than not.

Well, perhaps if you're not from the US that is an alarming concept, but when you're from here and you know just about every white-trash trailer-living family has guns (and lots of them) it doesn't seem that unusual or 'horrific' :lol:

A bunch of lunatics capturing sex crazed teens who are caged, running, screaming, bloody, etc ... looks like a horror film to me.

That's like par for the course in the southern US, so again, I don't see it as "horror" - I see it as "typical" :lol: :lol: I mean, c'mon, it was based off Rev. Phelps, the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, this stuff is happening for real here, so it's just another day in the south. :D

...and the "bunch of lunatics capturing sex crazed teens who are caged, running, screaming, etc" - you don't get that from the teaser. You got that info from Smith on his podcasts. The trailer doesn't push the "sex-crazed teens" anywhere in it. Sure, there's a dude in a cage, and there's some people running & screaming, but they do that in thrillers too. :p :lol: Look at "Angels & Demons" - there were bishops & priests in cages/jails, but would you ever consider that horror? There were also people running & screaming in that flick, too. ;)

I'm just sayin'... perhaps once I see the movie I'll be convinced, but I'm having a hard time matching "horror" with "Kevin Smith" and this particular teaser trailer.

bassman
29-Dec-2010, 12:56 PM
I mean, c'mon, it was based off Rev. Phelps, the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, this stuff is happening for real here, so it's just another day in the south.

Kansas is considered the south?

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 12:59 PM
Kansas is considered the south?

Might as well be, considering... :lol:

thxleo
29-Dec-2010, 01:36 PM
Well, perhaps if you're not from the US that is an alarming concept, but when you're from here and you know just about every white-trash trailer-living family has guns (and lots of them) it doesn't seem that unusual or 'horrific' :lol:

That's like par for the course in the southern US, so again, I don't see it as "horror" - I see it as "typical" :lol: :lol: I mean, c'mon, it was based off Rev. Phelps, the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, this stuff is happening for real here, so it's just another day in the south. :D

Both of these comments are idiotic. It's amazing how snobbish and ignorant people can be sometimes. It seems the only people left - in the United States at least - that are safe to insult and trash are people from the South. :bored:

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 01:44 PM
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv73/Brav3SRunn3R/waaambulance.jpg

Get over your self-righeous self, Leo. It's amazing you call people "ignorant" and "snobbish" considering it's a trait you show in just about every post you make.

Danny
29-Dec-2010, 02:06 PM
It seems the only people left - in the United States at least - that are safe to insult and trash are people from the South. :bored:

Pretty much.

bassman
29-Dec-2010, 02:10 PM
Why did everyone miss that Lou was making a joke? Hell, I actually live in the Southern portion of the US and I didn't find it offensive....

thxleo
29-Dec-2010, 02:13 PM
http://i671.photobucket.com/albums/vv73/Brav3SRunn3R/waaambulance.jpg

Get over your self-righeous self, Leo. It's amazing you call people "ignorant" and "snobbish" considering it's a trait you show in just about every post you make.

That was a great response. Why didn't you just say "I know you are, but what am I"?

Since you're on a roll, why don't you tell us your stereotypical thoughts on blacks, hispanics, and homosexuals too? Do you have any of those? :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 AM ----------

Why did everyone miss that Lou was making a joke? Hell, I actually live in the Southern portion of the US and I didn't find it offensive....

I didn't think for a second you would be offended, bassman.

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 02:13 PM
Since you're on a roll, why don't you tell us your stereotypical thoughts on blacks, hispanics, and homosexuals too? Do you have any of those? :rolleyes:

Why don't you show us a little more how much of a dipshit troll you can be?

Thank you, bassman, for pointing out the obvoius to those who couldn't figure it out. :thumbsup:

I didn't think for a second you would be offended, bassman.

Why not? Bassman's from the south, he should've known how 'serious' I was, why shouldn't he be offended? :rolleyes:

thxleo
29-Dec-2010, 02:18 PM
Why don't you show us a little more how much of a dipshit troll you can be?

I'm a troll because I called you out on something you said? I'll take it that you can't respond with anything worthwhile or substantial then.

---------- Post added at 10:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 AM ----------

Thank you, bassman, for pointing out the obvoius to those who couldn't figure it out. :thumbsup:

A joke is intended to be funny, I thought?

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm a troll because I called you out on something you said? I'll take it that you can't respond with anything worthwhile or substantial then.

No, you're a dipshit troll for bringing the words "ignorant" and "idiotic" to a statement that was intended as a joke. You really aren't that bright, are you?

A joke is intended to be funny, I thought?

It is, to those who don't take themselves so goddamn seriously. If bassman could figure it out, why couldn't you? I mean, he's a smart dude (much more so than me), I know, - but for someone like yourself that feels like they need to strut their intellect on an internet forum, it went right over your head. Imagine that.

Even if it was offensive, it doesn't even affect you directly since you're not "from the south" so why did you bother to comment about it in the first place, throwing around words like "ignorant" and "idiotic"?

All this, yet somehow, beyond your comprehension apprently, someone actually from the south wasn't offended by it at all and saw it for what it was. Interesting.

thxleo
29-Dec-2010, 02:36 PM
It is, to those who don't take themselves so goddamn seriously. If bassman could figure it out, why couldn't you? I mean, he's a smart dude (much more so than me), I know, - but for someone like yourself that feels like they need to strut their intellect on an internet forum, it went right over your head. Imagine that.

Even if it was offensive, it doesn't even affect you directly since you're not "from the south" so why did you bother to comment about it in the first place, throwing around words like "ignorant" and "idiotic"?

All this, yet somehow, beyond your comprehension apprently, someone actually from the south wasn't offended by it at all and saw it for what it was. Interesting.

I am from the south.

Bassman doesn't take offense to anything, other than opinions on movies perhaps.

blind2d
29-Dec-2010, 02:39 PM
Stop it! Stop fighting! It's childish, and counter-productive! You're going to make the children cry!

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 02:43 PM
I am from the south.

Bassman doesn't take offense to anything, other than opinions on movies perhaps.

Your location says Pittsburgh, that's not in the south.

..and if I had said "hey, everyone from the south is a bunch of backwoods, inbred idiots" I'm quite positive that bassman would have something to say about it. Instead, he took the comments for what they were, not what he assumed them to be.

Danny
29-Dec-2010, 02:45 PM
and txhleo derails another thread, which no doubt will be closed by kaos soon after. Trollin' 'n baitan' at its finest.

/golfclap

thxleo
29-Dec-2010, 02:54 PM
Your location says Pittsburgh, that's not in the south.

I live in Pittsburgh; I'm not from Pittsburgh.

---------- Post added at 10:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:53 AM ----------

and txhleo derails another thread, which no doubt will be closed by kaos soon after. Trollin' 'n baitan' at its finest.

/golfclap

Who's txhleo? How many threads has this person derailed, hellsing?

bassman
29-Dec-2010, 02:57 PM

/golfclap

http://chzgifs.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/rightonguysp1.gif

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 03:04 PM

Wow, is this the best you can do? Really?

Danny
29-Dec-2010, 03:43 PM

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1288546360394.jpg

DjfunkmasterG
29-Dec-2010, 04:44 PM
WOW... Why am I not surprised to see T H X L E O in a forum douching up a thread? Oh I know, because this is normal behavior for T H X L E O. DUH!

Seriously dude, did you even read what Lou said? He didn't say every Southerner, he said "That's like par for the course in the southern US, so again, I don't see it as "horror" - I see it as "typical" I mean, c'mon, it was based off Rev. Phelps, the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, this stuff is happening for real here, so it's just another day in the south. "

And guess what LEO, THX, whatever the fuck you wanna call yourself, personally I like to refer to you as KING DOUCHEBAG, but that is just me. Anyway, what Lou was getting at and commenting on is what is commonly shown in the media in regards to the South. The South is the south, and while not everyone is an extremist, the majority are right wing fanatical nut jobs who actually believe Sarah Palin would make a great president. Actually most practice some pretty fuck up religions and are very steeped in hypocrisy. His comment is pretty much spot on with what I have personally witnessed, and not just from TV and media.

Also LEE, between you and I, and I am sure I am not the only one who shares this opinion... your BS tactics of trollin' and thread douchery are only tolerated because of your interviews. If you didn't have that crutch to lean on I think your ass would have been bounced from this site a long time ago. So please do us a favor, unless we ask something of you directly, don't chime in... it would make HPOTD so much better if you just continue your Slob Knobbery in regards to getting interviews than it would be for you to post any kind of retort or reply, or try to join in on any discussion. So please go away, go and hunt down someone from the Romero universe and get us another interview so we can continue to justify your existence on this website. :D

Thank You and have a nice day.

Signed

Gary Ugarek
asshole at large

Danny
29-Dec-2010, 04:57 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/academyawards5.gif

thxleo
29-Dec-2010, 05:01 PM
WOW... Why am I not surprised to see T H X L E O in a forum douching up a thread? Oh I know, because this is normal behavior for T H X L E O. DUH!

Seriously dude, did you even read what Lou said? He didn't say every Southerner, he said "That's like par for the course in the southern US, so again, I don't see it as "horror" - I see it as "typical" I mean, c'mon, it was based off Rev. Phelps, the leader of the Westboro Baptist Church, this stuff is happening for real here, so it's just another day in the south. "

And guess what LEO, THX, whatever the fuck you wanna call yourself, personally I like to refer to you as KING DOUCHEBAG, but that is just me. Anyway, what Lou was getting at and commenting on is what is commonly shown in the media in regards to the South. The South is the south, and while not everyone is an extremist, the majority are right wing fanatical nut jobs who actually believe Sarah Palin would make a great president. Actually practice some pretty fuck up religions and are very steeped in hypocrisy. His comment is pretty much spot on with what I have personally witnessed, and not just from TV and media.

Also LEE, between you and I, and I am sure I am not the only one who shares this opinion... your BS tactics of trollin and thread douchery are only tolerated because of your interviews. If you didn't have that crutch to lean on I think your ass would have been bounced from this site a long time ago. So please do us a favor, unless we ask something of you directly, don't chime in... it would make HPOTD so much better if you just continue your Slob Knobbery in regards to getting interviews than it would be for you to post any king of retort or reply, or try to join in on any discussion. So please go away, go and hunt down someone from the Romero universe and get us another interview so we can contiue to justify your existence on this website. :D

Thank You and have a nice day.

Signed

Gary Ugarek
asshole at large

I figured you would jump into the fray soon enough. I've noticed that you and some of your buddies can't seem to argue or debate without using profanity or hurling teenage level insults. Nothing you say carries any weight with me. You just say the same, tired, old drivel every time.

Why would I be bounced exactly? I don't use the language you and some of your friends do. I have a different opinion and state it and therefore that is a problem to you and your like minded friends.

Do you actually read your posts before hitting the submit reply button?

DjfunkmasterG
29-Dec-2010, 05:11 PM
I figured you would jump into the fray soon enough. I've noticed that you and some of your buddies can't seem to argue or debate without using profanity or hurling teenage level insults. Nothing you say carries any weight with me. You just say the same, tired, old drivel every time.

Why would I be bounced exactly? I don't use the language you and some of your friends do. I have a different opinion and state it and therefore that is a problem to you and your like minded friends.

Do you actually read your posts before hitting the submit reply button?

YOU FUCKING HYPOCRITE. did you just lump other members of HPOTD into my comments, thus making a generalization... after you bitched out Lou for making a comment that was generalizing. WOW... You are a DICK!

Oh and if you don't like my strong language, tough titty said the kitty... The door to this thread is noted by the little red X to the top right of the page. Please use it and get the fuck out.

Oh and to answer your question, asswipe, I didnot proof read my thread... but with typos and all I see you got the general point of my reply.

So, have a nice day

DOUCHEBAG!

bassman
29-Dec-2010, 05:12 PM
http://www.patwreck.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/MichealJacksonPopcorn.gif

MinionZombie
29-Dec-2010, 05:45 PM
http://blog.tvguide.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/peggy.jpg
How's about everyone shaaaaaaad'up?

It's the festive season, so...

http://wii.kombo.com/images/content/misc/blurb_quit_your_bitching.jpg

Return to topic eh? I'm much more interested in that after all, I'm sure we all are.

thxleo
29-Dec-2010, 05:58 PM
YOU FUCKING HYPOCRITE. did you just lump other members of HPOTD into my comments, thus making a generalization... after you bitched out Lou for making a comment that was generalizing. WOW... You are a DICK!

Oh and if you don't like my strong language, tough titty said the kitty... The door to this thread is noted by the little red X to the top right of the page. Please use it and get the fuck out.

Oh and to answer your question, asswipe, I didnot proof read my thread... but with typos and all I see you got the general point of my reply.

So, have a nice day

DOUCHEBAG!

You make me laugh, Gary. :)

DjfunkmasterG
29-Dec-2010, 06:03 PM

Why do you need me when you can just look in the mirror? I am sure you can have daily laughter and enjoyment... cueball

Mike70
29-Dec-2010, 06:03 PM
just read through this thread for the first time (i could be fucked to care about kevin smith) and wow, did i miss some entertainment.

in fact, thanks DJ, lou, and leo, you've made me crack up (for some reason that "signed gary ugarek, asshole at large" got a major guffaw) at least 3 times in the course of my reading.

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 06:22 PM
Nothing you say carries any weight with me. You just say the same, tired, old drivel every time.

...and what you post isn't the same tired drivel you always post? :rolleyes: Give to me a large break.

Why, because he called you out for doing the exact same thing you just called me out for?

Hypocrisy. Look it up.

Return to topic eh? I'm much more interested in that after all, I'm sure we all are.

I'd love to, MZ, but when a douchebag like this one comes in here and starts spouting off at the mouth like the wannabe intellectual that he thinks he is, even though what he's spouting off about was CLEARLY sarcasm, he deserves to be called out for the moron that he is. I'd MUCH rather be talking about Red State too, but I won't sit here while some idiot calls me out for generalizing, then turns around and does the exact same thing a few posts later referencing other members here.

Awww, was that too much language in there for you to handle, leo? I have some Kleenex if you need them.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Useless%20Shit%202/crying_baby.jpg

thxleo
29-Dec-2010, 06:24 PM
Why do you need me when you can just look in the mirror? I am sure you can have daily laughter and enjoyment... cueball

Gary, it makes no sense to insult someone with something that you yourself are guilty of as well. In this particular case, baldness. This is not the first time you've made a comment directed at me about hair. You are just as bald as me.
That's why I say you make me laugh. You have an intellect rivaled only by garden tools, and you revel in that fact, which I find greatly amusing. :)

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 06:28 PM
Pot, kettle, black.

blind2d
29-Dec-2010, 06:28 PM
Oh look, now you've gone and done it! You've really done it! The children are bawling and turning red! I guess they won't be singing 'Dirty Harry' anytime soon! Thanks a million!
PS: I'm with Gary on this one... sticks and stones, all that...

thxleo
29-Dec-2010, 06:32 PM
I'd love to, MZ, but when a douchebag like this one comes in here and starts spouting off at the mouth like the wannabe intellectual that he thinks he is, even though what he's spouting off about was CLEARLY sarcasm, he deserves to be called out for the moron that he is. I'd MUCH rather be talking about Red State too, but I won't sit here while some idiot calls me out for generalizing, then turns around and does the exact same thing a few posts later referencing other members here.

Awww, was that too much language in there for you to handle, leo? I have some Kleenex if you need them.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Useless%20Shit%202/crying_baby.jpg

Like the famous quote say's..."Profanity is the common crutch of the conversational cripple."

Mike70
29-Dec-2010, 06:33 PM
You have an intellect rivaled only by garden tools

:lol: i'm stealing that for further use.

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 06:36 PM
Like the famous quote say's..."Profanity is the common crutch of the conversational cripple."

...and like they say, a douchebag is always a douchebag.

What's your point?

krisvds
29-Dec-2010, 08:14 PM
That trailer? Wow. Kevin Smith? Who would have thought?
Looks like a horror film to me. Might not be a very good one but goddamn what a nice trailer.

DjfunkmasterG
29-Dec-2010, 09:05 PM
Gary, it makes no sense to insult someone with something that you yourself are guilty of as well. In this particular case, baldness. This is not the first time you've made a comment directed at me about hair. You are just as bald as me.
That's why I say you make me laugh. You have an intellect rivaled only by garden tools, and you revel in that fact, which I find greatly amusing. :)

Well at least I don't pretend to be something I am not. :D

I don't mind the intellect of a garden tool. At least that makes me smarter than you... I have some intellect what is your excuse?

clanglee
29-Dec-2010, 09:28 PM
As the other resident southerner here, I would like to point out that this argument is dumb as hell. I was not offended by the statement, because I could tell it was a joking remark, but I could see how the statement could be taken seriously. There was a misunderstanding. . . .offence was taken when no real offence was meant. . . .and it has all been exaserbated for no good reason.

LouCipherr
29-Dec-2010, 09:38 PM
*trying to ignore the stupidity*

That trailer? Wow. Kevin Smith? Who would have thought?
Looks like a horror film to me. Might not be a very good one but goddamn what a nice trailer.

I thought the same thing when I first saw it. When I heard him first talk about Red State a few years ago, I was intrigued. Now that I've seen the trailer, I'm all in for this flick.

...and is Michael Parks a creepy sounding mofo in this trailer or what? *shivers*

Ok, I guess I'm in the minority with the 'horror' aspect of the trailer, but, today I was looking up other trailers: Land, Dawn04, My Bloody Valentine, some of the Saw trailers, even Let The Right One In - all of them seemed to be more 'horror' looking and oriented than this particular trailer, but like I said, after viewing the flick I might have a completely different opinion. Also, it's a 'teaser' trailer, so perhaps once we get a full-on trailer, it might look different to me.

I love being the odd man out. :lol: :D

bassman
29-Dec-2010, 09:54 PM
...and is Michael Parks a creepy sounding mofo in this trailer or what? *shivers*

He was, but I think he was more creepy as the hispanic guy in Kill Bill. Something about that role gave me the creeps. :lol:

Danny
29-Dec-2010, 10:15 PM
*trying to ignore the stupidity*

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y91/khazrak/1293217862824.png

krisvds
30-Dec-2010, 07:20 AM
@ Lou

Well, you could be right. It remains to be seen if Red State will be a full blown Horror flick. I got a very nice 70s vibe from that trailer. You know; Hills have eyes, Texas Chainsaw, kinda thing.
Very different from what we're used to from Smith. Definitely have the film on my radar.

I'm with you on the Michael Parks thing. Brrrrr.

(isn't it obvious that this genre of films uses lotsa stereotypical characters/baddies and that there is really no political or ethical agenda here. Just a filmmaker using said sterotypes to maximise effect... I can't for the life of me imagine any fan of Romero's (original) dead films that ends up on these shores is anything BUT a racist. That's just me though)

MinionZombie
30-Dec-2010, 10:37 AM
Smith has often said about Red State that one of his key inspirations was "The Devil Rides Out", if memory serves on the title. And as he was saying in the most recently Red State of the Union podcast, a big inspiration was all the mania in America when he was a kid about "devil worship" and so on ... ... which makes me think, I wonder if he's checked out "The House of the Devil" - for many it's a flick that would have a seriously too-slow pace, and sure the final act doesn't impress as much as you hope it will after such a protracted wait, but even still I really dug it.

Anyway ... it is indeed a teaser, but I get a horror vibe from it ... and there's that one shot that dollies in towards a wall with some haggard bush on it, that intrigues me ... perhaps it's not intended, but I feel like it's about to reveal something behind and below the wall, but it cuts away before we see anything ... so that feels properly creepy.

LouCipherr
30-Dec-2010, 12:54 PM
He was, but I think he was more creepy as the hispanic guy in Kill Bill. Something about that role gave me the creeps. :lol:

Y'know, I was telling Dj that the other night. That was the first time I really noticed Parks - when he was the creepy dude in Kill Bill. I knew of him, but never really "paid attention" to him if that makes sense. Now I'm all about the Parks. :D

@ Lou

Well, you could be right. It remains to be seen if Red State will be a full blown Horror flick. I got a very nice 70s vibe from that trailer. You know; Hills have eyes, Texas Chainsaw, kinda thing.
Very different from what we're used to from Smith. Definitely have the film on my radar.

I'm with you on the Michael Parks thing. Brrrrr.

I think Parks was the PERFECT person for this flick. He's going to make an awesome, creepy preacher that is just going to weird everyone out. His voice over on that teaser was enough to give me chills. *shivers again*

Smith said on one of his podcasts, Parks takes an almost 18 minute dialouge in this flick. That must be one HELL of a performance he caught to put in a dialouge that lengthy in this flick. :D

Anyway ... it is indeed a teaser, but I get a horror vibe from it ... and there's that one shot that dollies in towards a wall with some haggard bush on it, that intrigues me ... perhaps it's not intended, but I feel like it's about to reveal something behind and below the wall, but it cuts away before we see anything ... so that feels properly creepy.

We shall certainly see. The hardest part about trying to figure out if it's horror or not is the fact that Kev really hasn't let on too much to what the plot of the flick is. Sure, we know some kids go "looking for sex in the woods and instead 'find God'" - welll, that could me a LOT of things.. We shall see.... *fingers crossed this flick kicks ass*

MinionZombie
30-Dec-2010, 04:44 PM
'Kids looking for sex in the woods and instead find God' sounds like a puritanical remake of Porky's. :D

I'm sure we'll find out many more plot details about RS once it's been shown at Sundance in January. :)

krisvds
30-Dec-2010, 05:10 PM
Smith has often said about Red State that one of his key inspirations was "The Devil Rides Out", if memory serves on the title. And as he was saying in the most recently Red State of the Union podcast, a big inspiration was all the mania in America when he was a kid about "devil worship" and so on ... ... which makes me think, I wonder if he's checked out "The House of the Devil" - for many it's a flick that would have a seriously too-slow pace, and sure the final act doesn't impress as much as you hope it will after such a protracted wait, but even still I really dug it.

Wow. The Devil Rides Out must be my all time favourite Hammer Horror film. Christopher Lee is a fantastic 'good' guy in that one. Love it!
Haven't seen House of the devil. Is it anything like Devil rides out? Might have to check it soon methinks ...

DjfunkmasterG
30-Dec-2010, 05:26 PM
Can't believe Lou never paid attention to Michael Parks

From Dusk Til Dawn (Played Earl, Texas Ranger)
Planet Terror (Played Earl, Texas Ranger)
Death proof (Played Earl, Texas Ranger)
Kill Bill 1 & 2 (Played Earl and Creepy Spanish Guy)

MinionZombie
30-Dec-2010, 05:49 PM
Wow. The Devil Rides Out must be my all time favourite Hammer Horror film. Christopher Lee is a fantastic 'good' guy in that one. Love it!
Haven't seen House of the devil. Is it anything like Devil rides out? Might have to check it soon methinks ...

I've never seen The Devil Rides Out, so I can't help you out with a comparison, hehe ... but between us we've seen the both of them! :) Have a gander on YouTube for a trailer. You should be able to find it on DVD quite cheap by now. I got it for a fiver earlier this year.

Aye it was QT & RR's flicks that alerted me to Parks - who I recently saw in Twin Peaks (which I recently got around to seeing for the first time, in the last several weeks) - it's always cool when you see someone you know well from something in a role they did much earlier. Although FDTD was only about 5 years after he was on Twin Peaks, so...

Earl MacGraw is awesome ... "well Son number one..." :D

LouCipherr
30-Dec-2010, 07:39 PM

What can I say? :o I've seen him in all those flicks, but it wasn't until Kill Bill and the creepy spanish guy - that's when the caliber of this dude's acting smacked me in the face. Then when he was announced as the lead in Red State.. lets just say I think Smith couldn't have casted that part any better.

LouCipherr
24-Jan-2011, 01:11 PM
Well, Red State as officially premiered @ Sundance as of yesterday. Apparently Smith has decided on self-distribution (we'll see how that goes, but there's no doubt he'll make back the $4 million production cost).

Also, I wanted to point out this little quote from www.hollywoodreporter.com (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/risky-business/sundance-red-states-kevin-smith-74829):

"But RED STATE plays less as a straightforward horror film than as an extremely intense thriller that verges on horror."

See? THRILLER! Not Horror! Just like I said.. :p :lol: Hell, even Jack agrees with me, right Jack?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Reactions/jack-shining-yes-head-nod.gif

Anyway, he's going to tour the film around the US before it's officially theatrical release on Oct. 17th. Here's a link with some info (and also a link to request Red State come to your home town): RED STATE US TOUR (http://viewaskew.com/redstate)

No showings in my state yet, but that'll change if I have to vote for it 100 times to come here. :D

bassman
24-Jan-2011, 01:14 PM
Ticket prices raised as much as six, seven, or ten times the normal rate? Yeah....I'm not going to pay 100 bucks for this. DVD it is, then.

LouCipherr
24-Jan-2011, 01:16 PM
Ticket prices raised as much as six, seven, or ten times the normal rate? Yeah....I'm not going to pay 100 bucks for this. DVD it is, then.

Whoa, where did you hear that? There's no ticket price info yet....? Not only that, but it's being released in theaters in October, so even if you don't want to see an advanced screening, I doubt tickets to the October release are 6, 7, 10 times the normal price... wtf dude? :lol:

Red State Statement (http://viewaskew.com/redstate/theredstatement.html)

bassman
24-Jan-2011, 01:23 PM
From Ifilm....

The Red State USA Tour sounds like a fun time, but it’ll cost a pretty penny. According to Smith, you are probably going to pay “probably 6, 7, maybe 10 times” what you normally pay to see a film at a multiplex. Smith also promises that “we’re going to give you some cool shit,” although it’s not clear if this is separate from the Q&A with Parks and Smith himself (my guess is no).

And seeing how he's distributing himself in October, It's most likely not going to be very wide. It's just not worth the trouble. Waiting for dvd.

I think he should've let someone else buy it at Sundance...

LouCipherr
24-Jan-2011, 01:35 PM
From Ifilm....

And seeing how he's distributing himself in October, It's most likely not going to be very wide. It's just not worth the trouble. Waiting for dvd.

I think he should've let someone else buy it at Sundance...

What "trouble" do you speak of? You mean it's that difficult to skip the tour but see it in your home down in October when it comes out in theatres? :rolleyes: :p

You realize during the tour, it's not just the movie you see, but he'll be there with the film, introducting and probably doing his typical Q&A shit, so it would be worth it if you're a fan. If you just wanna see the movie, go in October - when prices will be normal. Somehow, I don't think this is going to only be in 30 cities once it's released.

..and why in the world should he have let someone buy it at Sundance? The whole point of Red State is doing it yourself while giving the finger to Hollywood since they've completely fucked up movie making unless you've got tens or hundreds of millions to burn (on goddamn remakes no less, 'cause lord knows there's not much originality coming out in Hollywood anymore). The "indie" guys don't have much of a chance anymore, and he's out to prove the current model is wrong and that it can be done another way. Basically, he's doing what Dj is doing but on a much larger level (since he has more noteriety and a much larger following). It's not like he had to do things this way.

Personally, I hope he does this, makes tons of cash and shows Hollywood that they've got it completely bass-ackwards.

Stop being a buzzkill. :lol:

I figured most of us here would champion a filmmaker saying "fuck you hollywood, you're doing it wrong!" Even if it is Kevin Smith doing so.

bassman
24-Jan-2011, 02:06 PM
God Damn, Lou. You getting some kick backs from Smith and the Weinsteins or something?

Q&A or not, I don't think it's worth the money. Then when it does get a release, I'll most likely have to drive a far distance to catch it and it's not worth that to me. I'm not saying "fuck this movie, everyone should boycott it." I just personally don't think this particular film is worth me going out of my way or spending extra money. So if that's the case....I'll wait for DVD. In any scenario, I DO want to see it.

I didn't mean to offend your delicate smith-loving sensibilities. :lol:

LouCipherr
24-Jan-2011, 03:27 PM
You getting some kick backs from Smith and the Weinsteins or something?

Are you getting paid to be a curmudgeon? :lol:

Nope, I just think what he's doing is fantastic, and is right in line with the thinking that Dj and I have had since 2004ish. It's nice to see see someone with clout (whether it's Smith or someone else) have the same epiphany and actually follow through with it.

You didn't offend me, I just don't understand your logic. :p

I'm sure this is going to have a pretty wide release, not just 40-50 cities across the US. If it was only going to be a few cities, he wouldn't be waiting 'till October for the theatrical release. ;)

bassman
24-Jan-2011, 03:51 PM
I personally don't care if he's sticking it to the Hollywood system. John Q. Public doesn't care either. By distributing the film himself, he may be looking cool to his industry insider friends, but I doubt it will get a normal wide release because of this decision. And if it does....without the proper marketing who is going to see this thing outside of Smith's fans?

Again, I'm not trying to dog on the film. I just think they're hurting themselves by trying to distribute it personally. But we'll see. It may work out well. Especially if they market it to the tweens during Halloween. After all....they don't have Saw to fall back on anymore...

LouCipherr
24-Jan-2011, 03:58 PM
I personally don't care if he's sticking it to the Hollywood system. John Q. Public doesn't care either.

I'm part of John Q. Public. I care. As well as many, many others. Hell, many indie filmmakers (many of whose films you watch) are watching with baited breath to see how this works out.

You're part of the John Q. Public who doesn't, because he's satisfied with the horseshit Hollywood continues to feed us (which, for the most part, has been uninspired drivel as of late)

By distributing the film himself, he may be looking cool to his industry insider friends, but I doubt it will get a normal wide release because of this decision. And if it does....without the proper marketing who is going to see this thing outside of Smith's fans?

You've missed the entire point of his reason to self-distribute.

bassman
24-Jan-2011, 04:08 PM
You're not John Q. You know more about how these things work. That's why you're happy he's "sticking to the man".

John Q is the random guy who just decides to go see a movie on a Satruday night. The only problem now is that John Q may not be aware of Red State because of it's lack of advertising, or it may not be at his theater at all. On any other occasion he may have seen Red State, but now he doesn't care or doesn't have the option. Those tickets lost because Smith wanted to "stick it".

Anyway....if this film is near me I might check it out. I never meant to cause a ruckus, I was just stating my opinion that it doesn't strike me as the kind of film people will seek out. Imo, this film will most likely make it's serious returns through dvd and blu ray.

LouCipherr
24-Jan-2011, 04:57 PM
You're not John Q. You know more about how these things work. That's why you're happy he's "sticking to the man".

I most certainly am John Q. I'm exactly one of those "random guys who just decides to go see a movie on a Satruday night"

I "know more about how these things work"?? No, I'm just observant of a system that's broke beyond repair. Same with the music industry (I'm not a professional musician). Same with our government (I'm not a politican). It's not like Deadlands has suddenly put me in a position to peel back the layers of the top of the movie industry and see what's wrong - we didn't even get anywhere near close enough to it to do that. Plus, I don't deal with the business affairs of the Deadlands franchise - that's all Dj. I might have a slightly wider perspective than some, but nothing worth noting. Anyone who can read and has a decent level of observation can have the level of knowledge I have of the movie industry. Anyone who has been an extra in a film knows what I do, probably more if their film had a larger than $10k budget! :lol:

The only problem now is that John Q may not be aware of Red State because of it's lack of advertising, or it may not be at his theater at all. On any other occasion he may have seen Red State, but now he doesn't care or doesn't have the option. Those tickets lost because Smith wanted to "stick it".

Like I said, the reason for his self-distribution route has gone right over your head.

He's playing to his audience - he doesn't care about trying to draw in people who are not fans. Why? Well, if you're not a KS fan, you're not going to care about Red State anyway, are you? So why spend millions to try and cater to those people when they aren't going to come see it anyway?

Smith said in many of his podcasts that, for example, the Weinsteins spent $20 million to make Clerks 2. He begged them NOT to put a shit-ton of money into advertising because, why bother? The people who come to see Kevin Smith movies are Kevin Smith fans - he has a built-in fan base that pretty much nets him 30 million in the theatres with every new release. So what did the Weinsteins do with Clerks 2? Put 10 million into advertising and barely broke even at the box office. Why not just take the extra $10 million and keep it as profit? It still would've made 30 million anyway without the advertising. Lesson learned: play your strengths, play to your audience and followers.

...and just FYI, the Weinsteins have nothing to do with Red State. They passed on it years ago.

Perhaps you don't care about the back-end of the production, but there are many watching intently, something that could change the way movies are made and distributed, especially on the indie circuit. For many, many filmmakers and movie fans, this is exciting shit. Obviously not to you, but then again, you're not normal. :lol: :lol: :D

bassman
24-Jan-2011, 05:15 PM
He's playing to his audience - he doesn't care about trying to draw in people who are not fans. Why? Well, if you're not a KS fan, you're not going to care about Red State anyway, are you? So why spend millions to try and cater to those people when they aren't going to come see it anyway?

The very reason Smith made Red State is to try and widen his audiences. It's not "for his fans". I'm sure he claims so on his podcasts where people cling to his every word, but anyone with a pair of eyes can see that he's been trying to become a bigger director for years. He's been trying to get away from his fart comedy and it's fans while not doing a very good job of it.

He's trying to make a horror film because horror films have been doing well in recent years. He tried to make a feel good family picture and it failed. He tried making a buddy cop movie and it failed. The only kinda well recieved film he's made outside of Jay and Bob is Zack and Miri. And that basically was Jay and Bob, just different characters. Keep in mind....all of which starred current "it actors". If he was so comfortable in making films "for the fans", he would continue with the Jay and Bob shtick because they would be a gauranteed success. I believe he has the ability to make different films, but it's not for the fans. The fans are just the ones that go along with it.

But hey....I'm just accustomed to happily taking the force fed bullshit that Hollywood tosses my way. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to swallow Smith's.:rolleyes:

A simple friggin comment that it may be harder to see the film this way and all this is the result. Sheesh.

DubiousComforts
24-Jan-2011, 05:39 PM
But hey....I'm just accustomed to happily taking the force fed bullshit that Hollywood tosses my way. Maybe you shouldn't be so quick to swallow Smith's.:rolleyes:

:lol:

A demented cast of characters. Check.
Loads of drama and tension. Check.
Entertaining on many levels. Check.

Who needs movies when there are threads like this?

LouCipherr
24-Jan-2011, 06:39 PM
The very reason Smith made Red State is to try and widen his audiences. He's trying to make a horror film because horror films have been doing well in recent years.

:lol:

Dude, you are completely wrong and so far off base it's not even funny. Red State's script has been in the can for years, but he's trying to latch on to the current trend of horror films? :lol: :lol:

You think he's trying to "widen" his audience? If anything, based on what you said about Jay & Silent Bob movies, he's doing nothing but whittling down his audience.

..and really? You're going to pull "cop out" into this? It wasn't even his script, he was just a hired hand to direct. Considering Bruce Willis was a dick about everything and did NOTHING to promote the film, it's no wonder it struggled. Here you have an "A-list" actor who just doesn't give a shit 'cept for the paycheck.

"sheesh" is right... If "it may be harder to see the film this way" is all you would have said, instead of making completely off-base statements, prehaps the conversation would be a lot shorter.

Save your all-knowing wisdom for the batman/nolan threads. :rolleyes:

bassman
24-Jan-2011, 06:51 PM
Never claimed to be all knowing here. Only stating my opinions.

And I did start this out saying it would be harder for me to see in theaters. That was my main point of concern. Then you for some reason lost all control of your bowels and went on a rant how I was sucking Hollywood's pole, or something to that effect. :lol:

LouCipherr
24-Jan-2011, 06:53 PM
Uhhh, yeah, ok. :rolleyes:

For those who want to know what's really going on, listen to the first 10 minutes of this (then perhaps stick around for the rest of the show, which is an excellent interview/conversation with Michael Parks:

Red State of the Union #11 (http://traffic.libsyn.com/redstate/redstate-11.mp3)
(right-click, "save as" if you want to d/l it instead of stream)

DjfunkmasterG
25-Jan-2011, 04:13 PM
Already Kevin is catching hell for his antics at Sundance

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/01/24/kevin-smith-isnt-saving-indie-film-hes-spitting-in-its-face

MinionZombie
25-Jan-2011, 07:00 PM
Already Kevin is catching hell for his antics at Sundance

http://www.badassdigest.com/2011/01/24/kevin-smith-isnt-saving-indie-film-hes-spitting-in-its-face

Blimey, can't be arsed to read all that, hehe... :p

It's a shame that the flick didn't find distribution at the fest - or yet anyway, or seemingly will ever, what with this "SModpictures" idea - sometimes I wonder if the Red State of the Union podcasts have been building things up too much, but who knows ... it's certainly an interesting approach to making and releasing a film. I wonder what will happen for international territories though - such as, *ahem*, the UK.

Anyone know what the response to the film has so far been at Sundance?

bassman
25-Jan-2011, 07:21 PM

From the ten or so reviews I've seen, it's luke warm at best. And that's being generous, unfortunately. I don't think I've seen it higher than a 5/10.

Edit - just found a better review at the Hollywood reporter. It's the nicest i've seen so far...

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jan-2011, 01:07 AM
Blimey, can't be arsed to read all that, hehe... :p

It's a shame that the flick didn't find distribution at the fest - or yet anyway, or seemingly will ever, what with this "SModpictures" idea - sometimes I wonder if the Red State of the Union podcasts have been building things up too much, but who knows ... it's certainly an interesting approach to making and releasing a film. I wonder what will happen for international territories though - such as, *ahem*, the UK.

As an indie filmmaker you should read it Nick. One thing about being a filmmaker... any article relating to indie film should get an auto-read just on GP alone. I don't agree with Smith's publicity stunt, nor do I agree with what the other ass hat said when taking the otherside of the coin. Simple fact is Kevin Smith has way more avenues to release than say someone who is just starting out. What he is doing i sno different than what any filmmaker would do, it is because he is Kevin Smith he can book all those pre-date and probably get a 1000 screen theatrical in October. However, he is just doing a larger scaled version of what I and many others have done... Take your film to a cinema, promote it on no money, charge a bit over normal ticket price, and come home with some coin in your pocket.

Kevin seems to forget he is Kevin Smith... When watching his 25+ minute long You Tube vid from Sundance I was screaming at him to get on with what he was trying to do already. He just talks and talks, then finally jumps into the Major math business discussion... I don't give a fuck about Wayne Gretsky or the other BS, this is Sundance not An Evening With Kevin Smith... If he didn't have the following he had I could almost guarantee you he would have sold to the first jag-off from a studio who coughed up $1,000,000 with Back End promises to recoup the remaining $3,000,000.00

Make no mistake this is more about Kevin than it is making a statement about indie marketing.

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2011, 10:35 AM
From the ten or so reviews I've seen, it's luke warm at best. And that's being generous, unfortunately. I don't think I've seen it higher than a 5/10.

Edit - just found a better review at the Hollywood reporter. It's the nicest i've seen so far...

That's disappointing ... again I wonder if all the podcasting about it has stoked it up in some people's minds to be:

1) Something more than it is.
2) Something entirely different than it is.

There's a lot of misreporting about what kind of movie it is, so it seems - everybody seemed to latch onto "oh it's about shafting the Phelps family and conservative America", whereas Smith has always protested that it isn't ... so I wonder if that's a factor too.

Hmmm...

Indeed, Dj says it well, Smith has the benefit of a dedicated following - but the Average Joe indie filmmaker sat at home doesn't have that. They don't have more than 15 years in the business, they don't have 8 movies under their belts, they haven't worked with a bit studio, they don't have a comfortable lifestyle, or a podcasting network - so if Smith hasn't recognised that one major difference between him going independently with the flick, and the average joe filmmaker out there desperately trying to get somewhere, then that's a disappointing oversight.

I do wonder if he's gotten a smidge carried away ... I'm still rather looking forward to seeing Red State, and I wonder if the bum reviews from some reviewers have been because of the movie, or because they've been expecting something else entirely.

*ponders*

*edit*

A blog from Smith himself about the whole thing in general:
http://silentbobspeaks.com/?p=409

Reading more about the "auction" aspect of it, it seems that portion was a big of a scheme in a way, a bit of a trick, in that they always knew they were going to tour it during March (hence the March date in the trailer - ahead of an actual release target of October 2011) ... Smith bought the rights for $20 apparently, so it seems that that portion of proceedings was a bit of a ruse - perhaps to gain attention.

Also, perhaps it suggests that this "SModpictures" thingy will go on to help indie folks themselves - to use this attempted model (which, in Smith's terms, is essentially doing what used to be done - touring a movie around the country like they did back in the day) as a way to help release indie films from other filmmakers:

For years, bloggers told me I was tired for doing so many Askewniverse flicks. You hear that enough, it sinks in. No artist wants to be called tired, y’know? So with only one flick left that I want to make, I figure why not gamble a bit. Because, like I said: if this works out the way we’re hoping, we’ll have a model we can use with not only Hit Somebody, but any SModcast Pictures we make after it - which would be your flicks, not mine.

I’ve told my stories in film already and I get to tell way more inventive stories every week on all the SModcast Network shows. But I love being involved with flicks, so I figure “Why not help other cats get their flicks out there?” If we can build SModcast Pictures into a brand - the way Harvey & Bob made the Miramax name stand for a specific kind of film - then it can become a kind of no-budget service label for flicks we feel fit our ethos or can’t find love elsewhere in the world. Indie flicks need special handling, and what we’re doing with Red State is simply special-handling it ourselves.

It seems to me like the message around Red State has been a bit confused - people talking about the flick on blogs and in print/visual media have grabbed onto the Phelps angle and "attack on conservative America" angle, when Smith himself has said that's not the purpose - but, to be honest, he somewhat allowed that misconception to get out there in the first place ... but then again, it's all free publicity, and you've got to be a canny operator to get word out there.

However the other side is that could lead people to expect one thing and receive another - perhaps this, partly anyway, explains some of the bum reviews. But then again there have been other reviews that have been glowing - as highlighted on NewsAskew.com (although it'd be good to see them addressing the negative reaction too - I'd prefer they tackle any negative reviews head-on on the site, to be honest).

So anyway - I'm all for Smith trying to break the current model and try something different - but he must recognise that this can only happen because he's got an established following, and communicate the intentions of this movement more clearly (and reporters must likewise follow suit and report things clearly and factually) ... but it seems that the final intent is for "SModpictures" to help indie filmmaking in the end, which is a good thing.

LouCipherr
26-Jan-2011, 01:12 PM
First off: 90% of the stories you're reading out there have nothing to do with the movie itself, rather than everyone's opinions on what Smith is doing and their reaction to his speech at Sundance. I think out of all the articles I've read (and it's been MANY) there has only been 2 or 3 of them that actually touch on the movie itself. The rest is people bitching about either A) what he said at the festival, or B) the model he's trying to work within to recoup the $ for the film.

One of the many things that annoys me is this: I've seen so many people bitch that "oh, HE can do it because he has a massive, loyal fanbase that he built up with his last 9 movies, but the average joe could never pull something like this off" - really?

Ok, lets get realistic here:

Someone, any of you: go to Google and search Dj's name. His full name. What do you see? I see 13,200 results from just his name. You can go to page 54 and even on that very last page, there he is - and there is mentions of Deadlands and Deadlands 2.

So, Dj hasn't exactly had the kind of success that Smith has, nor does he have anywhere near as many fans as Smith, but to say that "Smith can do it, but others who are on the bottom of the stack can't" - well, I present to you 13,200 results that prove that whole theory bullshit.

Gary has:

* Recopued the costs of his productions (exactly what Smith is trying to accomplish with the "Red State Tour"

* Has released BOTH of his film, through a distributor, and sales have been enough to consider both films a success

* Released both movies on DVD

* Released both movies on Blu-Ray

* Released DL2 on a DEAD FORMAT - HD-DVD and STILL sold ALL 500 discs that were printed! Remember, this was no hollywood movie, this was a sub-$10k flick

* Has had multiple theatrical runs with both films. It might've been local theaters within the tri-state area, but he got it on the screens (and sometimes a week-long engagement too), didn't he?

So, it CAN be done, albeit it on a smaller scale. It takes a serious work ethic, and someone willing to BUST THEIR ASS to promote their film, but it sure as shit can be done on even the level that Dj is at. Remember, he was just a dude you guys knew here as "dj" - not a filmmaker until he decided to give it a try.

How about giving the dude a round of applause for at least trying something a bit different (although not unique, this has been done before) - regardless of how arrogant he may seem? How about giving the dude some kudos for railing against the stupid, archeaic model that only survives on BUYING their way to the #1 spot in the weekend box office?

He may be an arrogant prick, but I like the idea. This is an idea/model (on a much smaller scale) that filmmakers like Dj and others have been trying to push through forever.

So, my question is to these people: what's the problem?

Dj - you said you took a bit of issue with some of the things he said at Sundance to the industry people - what he said is exactly what you and almost every other indie filmmaker thinks, but never gets to opportunity to say to the people in the industry that should hear it.

Also, you say that it's "more about Kevin than it is making a statement about indie marketing" - really? Let's end with this little thought: Clerks cost $25,575 to produce. It took SEVEN YEARS before any "profit" was made on this movie. Why do you think that is?

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jan-2011, 03:40 PM
Dj - you said you took a bit of issue with some of the things he said at Sundance to the industry people - what he said is exactly what you and almost every other indie filmmaker thinks, but never gets to opportunity to say to the people in the industry that should hear it.

He made a few incorrect statements and a few slaps. Bagging on Bob and Harvey was where I felt he crossed the line a bit. Bob and Harvey gave him his career. Although he did praise them for teaching him things, he also more or less lumped them when he talked about the industry model in general

Also, you say that it's "more about Kevin than it is making a statement about indie marketing" - really? Let's end with this little thought: Clerks cost $25,575 to produce. It took SEVEN YEARS before any "profit" was made on this movie. Why do you think that is?

Bad negotiating skills. :lol:

In all honesty, I am sure the math is probably the main cause... but I don't buy 7 years. Sorry, just don't buy it. The film actually turned profit when he sold it to Miramax for $150,000.00

Miramax pumped a tonn of money into it, thus raising their cost not Kevin's. So the studio probably took 7 years recouping their investment (Purchase cost, adverts etc) Kevin recoup'd the day he signed a deal to sell the movie.

He is slightly misrepresenting himself with Clerks.

LouCipherr
26-Jan-2011, 03:53 PM
He made a few incorrect statements and a few slaps. Bagging on Bob and Harvey was where I felt he crossed the line a bit. Bob and Harvey gave him his career. Although he did praise them for teaching him things, he also more or less lumped them when he talked about the industry model in general

Bagged on Bob & Harvey? He did nothing but praise them. For the love of all that is holy, he called his production company "THE HARVEY BOYS" :lol:

Bad negotiating skills. :lol:

har har har

Miramax pumped a tonn of money into it, thus raising their cost not Kevin's. So the studio probably took 7 years recouping their investment (Purchase cost, adverts etc) Kevin recoup'd the day he signed a deal to sell the movie.

Of course they did, but he wasn't saying HE didn't get the profit for seven years - read his quote: "It took CLERKS, a movie that cost $25,575, seven years to make a profit" - no where in there does he say "I didn't recieve any profit for seven years"

That's his whole point about misinterpretation in the media, dude! :lol:

DjfunkmasterG
26-Jan-2011, 05:05 PM
Bagged on Bob & Harvey? He did nothing but praise them. For the love of all that is holy, he called his production company "THE HARVEY BOYS" :lol:

har har har

Of course they did, but he wasn't saying HE didn't get the profit for seven years - read his quote: "It took CLERKS, a movie that cost $25,575, seven years to make a profit" - no where in there does he say "I didn't recieve any profit for seven years"

That's his whole point about misinterpretation in the media, dude! :lol:

Harvey Boys is because Bob and Harvey Weinstein secretly put up the $4,000,000.00

MinionZombie
26-Jan-2011, 05:37 PM
Didn't Miramax buy Clerks for $227,000?

I remember them saying that in the "Snowball Effect" documentary on the Clerks X release ... it was gonna be $200,000, but then they agreed to factor in the budget of the flick itself, thus taking it to $227,000 (or $227,500, or whatever ... I seem to remember it cost $27k, not $25k).

I think Smith could do with sharpening his message a bit - there's clearly an ease with which to misinterpret him, or confuse an issue, or a factoid, or whatever - so he could use a bit of streamlining for the argument, however boiled down to the essential:

"We're old school touring the country with Red State, like a traditional Smith Q&A (but with added Red State, and Michael Parks) at traditional Smith Q&A cost, and aim to recoup the just-shy-of-$4m budget before the October 2011 theatrical release, then seek to help indie filmmakers get their flicks made and/or distributed (not entirely sure if he's aiming to fund or just distribute, or both) with SModcast Pictures"

Then that's a good thing and I'm all in favour of it.

A doff of the cap to those who've done the same thing already on a smaller scale would be cool though. ;)

bassman
26-Jan-2011, 06:14 PM
"We're old school touring the country with Red State, like a traditional Smith Q&A (but with added Red State, and Michael Parks) at traditional Smith Q&A cost, and aim to recoup the just-shy-of-$4m budget before the October 2011 theatrical release, then seek to help indie filmmakers get their flicks made and/or distributed (not entirely sure if he's aiming to fund or just distribute, or both) with SModcast Pictures"

That would've been the wiser thing to do, imo. Just announce something like that on his website or podcasts. Instead, he insulted and wasted everyone's time at Sundance for no apparent reason other than to be an attention whore. Bad show, Smith.

Still curious about the flick. Hopefully it will be within driving distance when it's released...

LouCipherr
26-Jan-2011, 06:14 PM
Harvey Boys is because Bob and Harvey Weinstein secretly put up the $4,000,000.00

Y'know Dj, I think you're 100% correct. I don't have any evidence to support it, but it makes perfect sense. I bet this comes out eventually, and you called it.

Also, when you said that he bagged on Harvey & Bob, I don't think they thought he was. Taken from www.silentbobspeaks.com:

"The highlight of my night last night was talking to Bob Weinstein at the party after the screening. As @TheJonGordon and I explained our plan, Bob said…

“You’re four-walling. That’s what me and Harvey did in the beginning.”

To which I said “That’s why we call it The Harvey Boys.”

Then, in true Bob fashion, he instantly did the math on our Radio City Music Hall premiere to tell us we could have the highest per screen average ever (Bob saw the flick this morning and we spoke again. He loved it; said really nice things about me as a director. Then, in true Bob fashion, he added “If it were mine, I’d tell you take 10 minutes out.”).

It was awesome. It was like being recognized as an adult by your Dad. "

MZ - I think you're right too, he needs to start "clarifying" things. I know he's messing with the media, saying shit like "I'm going to pick the distributor right there in the room, auction style, after the screening" - which was NOT a lie, but, it was also done with sneaky intentions to fuck with them. He knew DAMN WELL the media would pick that up and say "He's going to sell the movie to a distributor right after the screening via auction" - but that's not what he said. He said he would "pick his distributor" and that it would be done "auction-style" - and that's exactly what he did.

Personally, i think it's hilaroius these schmucks fell for it. Anyone who listens to his podcasts, reads his posts and/or tweets, or even knows who this guy is and how he conducts himself saw something like this coming from miles away. Publicity whoring at it's finest. :lol: