PDA

View Full Version : 2010 - More remakes on the way... -sigh-

LouCipherr
30-Dec-2010, 02:17 PM
Source: http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2010/12/28/16690961.html (http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment/movies/2010/12/28/16690961.html)

LOS ANGELES -- Now that Hollywood has polished off Tron's light cycles and dug out Rooster Cogburn's eye-patch for True Grit, what's next?

Hint: you've probably already seen it.

Dozens more remakes, reboots, sequels and prequels are on deck -- from Firestarter to Escape from New York to The Crow. Think we're oversaturated with unoriginality? Tron: Legacy director Joseph Kosinski, not unexpectedly, disagrees.

"There's a good mix out there now. You've got films like Inception, which is a completely original idea. And a film like ours, where there's a reason to go back and see what happened to these characters since the last time we saw them. We thought there was so much potential in where the first one left off."

And he says he understands the nostalgic appeal for audiences.

"There's something about seeing those movies as a kid. There's something about revisiting that world that gets you excited more than maybe taking a chance on something that's completely fresh."

For now the industry, which has enjoyed such hits as Clash of the Titans and The Karate Kid, concurs. Consider these 10 examples:

The Black Hole: Kosinski is developing a remake of Disney's 1979 science-fiction adventure about a long-missing space ship found orbiting the horizon of a black hole. Like Tron in 1982, it was considered a bit of a dud. There's no word on what the new film might look like, but in interviews Kosinski has suggested it will retain many of the design elements (including the towering blood-red robot Maximilian), while updating the science behind the titular phenomenon.

Mad Max: Fury Road, the long-delayed sequel to the Road Warrior trilogy, suffered more engine trouble in 2010 when production in Australia was pushed to 2012. For the time being, Tom Hardy (Inception) is still expected to take over the role that made Mel Gibson a superstar. Charlize Theron is also believed to have a role, with George Miller -- who directed the original films and went on to family-friendly Babe and Happy Feet -- back behind the wheel.

Alien: Ridley Scott, who directed the 1979 shockfest, is planning to re-launch the horror saga with a prequel about a new, non-Ripley heroine (possibly played by Noomi Rapace, star of the Swedish adaptation of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). Plot details are clouded -- it depends on what website you believe -- but Lost co-creator Damon Lindelof did work on the script. Production could begin as early as this spring.

Footloose: Both Zac Efron and Chace Crawford once circled the role that made Kevin Bacon a star in the 1984 original. Instead, it's now gone to an unknown: Kenny Wormald, a one-time back-up dancer for Justin Timberlake. Craig Brewer (Hustle & Flow) is directing the 2011 version while Julianne Hough (Dancing with the Stars) and Dennis Quaid co-star.

The Thing: October's prequel to John Carpenter's thriller chronicles what happened to the doomed Norwegian scientific team that unearthed an alien being in Antarctic ice. Mary Elizabeth Winstead stars as an American unlucky enough to be have joined the expedition.

Straw Dogs: Rod Lurie (The Contender) directs James Marsden in September's revamp of Sam Peckinpah's 1971 controversial thriller. While the original, which starred Dustin Hoffman as an academic, took place in England, the 2011 version casts Marsden as a Hollywood screenwriter who relocates to the deep American south with his wife (Kate Bosworth) only to be harassed by the local wildlife (i.e.: rednecks).

Fright Night: In this reincarnation of the 1985 horror-comedy, Star Trek's Anton Yelchin plays a teenager who discovers his next-door neighbour (Colin Farrell) is a vampire. With his best friend (Christopher Mintz-Plasse) and girlfriend (Imogen Poots), he enlists a Criss Angel-like magician to help destroy the charismatic demon.

Arthur: Russell Brand steps into Dudley Moore's 12-step program as a boozing billionaire playboy mentored by an unflappable British butler (Helen Mirren, replacing Sir John Geilgud).

Conan The Barbarian: In for Arnold Schwarzenegger, Jason Momoa (TV's Stargate Atlantis) flexes his muscles as the sword-swinging Cimmerian. Marcus Nispel -- who remade both The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Friday the 13th) -- directs.

Judge Dredd: 1995's Judge Dredd starring Sylvester Stallone was a critical and commercial disaster, so this can only be improvement. Star Trek's Karl Urban plays the merciless futuristic lawman this time out, armed with a harder-edged script by Alex Garland (28 Days Later).

You guys already know how I feel about this shit, but I figured I'd post it to hear what others might think about some of these...

**edited to add: shit, posted in the wrong section. Well, at least some of these are horror flicks, so I got it partically right. :o

DjfunkmasterG
30-Dec-2010, 02:42 PM
Colin Ferrell playing the Iconic Chris Sarandon role.... hmmm I may end up checking out Fright Night

LouCipherr
30-Dec-2010, 03:11 PM
Colin Ferrell playing the Iconic Chris Sarandon role.... hmmm I may end up checking out Fright Night

Are you kidding me? :lol: No one, I mean no one will be able to replace Chris Sarandon in that flick. :p

Y'know, I also noticed that I should've made the title "2011..." WTF is wrong with me today? :lol:

BillyRay
30-Dec-2010, 03:18 PM
And don't forget that most of these will be advertised "IN 3-D"...

DjfunkmasterG
30-Dec-2010, 03:23 PM
Are you kidding me? :lol: No one, I mean no one will be able to replace Chris Sarandon in that flick. :p

Y'know, I also noticed that I should've made the title "2011..." WTF is wrong with me today? :lol:

Remember that weed comment you left to me?

LouCipherr
30-Dec-2010, 03:37 PM
And don't forget that most of these will be advertised "IN 3-D"...

:rolleyes:

Don't remind us, BillyRay. :(

Remember that weed comment you left to me?

Yeah, and I still think you've been smoking WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much, my friend. :lol: :lol: :D

Dj - can you change the title to 2011 & move to the media section? If not, can one of the other mods reading this help me out? I spaced out big time this morning. :lol:

darth los
30-Dec-2010, 04:34 PM
:Yeah, and I still think you've been smoking WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much, my friend. :lol: :lol: :D

Don 't listen to him deej. There's no such thing. I post some of my best shit when I'm high. :shifty: (paranoid lol)

:cool:

JDFP
30-Dec-2010, 05:35 PM
"The Black Hole" -- never seen the original but not really interested in seeing any more cheesy 60's/70's sci-fi. I'll give it a shot. Netflix.

"Mad Max" -- Unless it's Mel Gibson as Mad Max then no way in hell I'm spending money to see it. It's not Mad Max if it's not Gibson as far as I'm concerned no matter what they call it.

"Alien" -- It's a prequel by Ridley Scott. All I can say is tell me the time and place and I'm there.

"Footloose" -- Hell no.

"The Thing" -- Netflix.

"Straw Dogs" -- Sam Peckinpah was highly overrated in my book and the original is just... well.. kinda boring. Casting Bob Dylan to do the music to his "Billy the Kid" film was nonsensical (even if Coburn and Kristofferson were amazing: it would be a bit like getting Metallica to do a Christmas movie soundtrack). But, it's not using the original setting -- instead we're going to be greeted by these pleasant westerners moving to the south (bring out the banjos, Billy Bob!) where Hollywood will use every contrived cliche possible of casting an imaginary outlook of the south a la "Deliverance" or "Southern Comfort". HELL no to this one!

Fright Night: Eh, quesy about it, but I'll check it out for free on Netflix streaming if offered.

Arthur: This film sounds different from "Alfie" in what way exactly? Eh, not really interested...

Conan the Barbarian: No Schwarzennegger = no thanks.

Judge Dredd: No Stallone = no thanks.

j.p.

blind2d
30-Dec-2010, 07:01 PM
"The Black Hole" -- You can't beat the original, sillies! I swear, some people...

"Alien" -- Eh? Well, alright, I guess it's worth a shot...

"Footloose" -- For crying out loud!

"The Thing" -- What?! Again?! Is it like an every-30/50 years thing now?! Christ!

"Straw Dogs" -- The hell is that?

"Fright Night" -- *See comment on Black Hole.*

"Arthur" -- *See comment on Straw Dogs.*

"Conan the Barbarian" -- No comment.

"Judge Dredd" -- Who now?

Trin
30-Dec-2010, 07:06 PM
The Black Hole could be a good remake. That is a movie that has every capability of being good, but is now so dated that it wouldn't stand a chance in contemporary audiences.

Alien prequel could be good. I'd love to know more about the Alien universe and it seems there's a lot of mystery left there to explore. And I'd watch anything with Noomi Rapace in it. And with regard to the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo series... America needs to leave the Swedish films alone. Those things rocked and we're gonna screw em up.

The rest can pretty much lie in peace for all I care.

LouCipherr
30-Dec-2010, 07:30 PM
Don 't listen to him deej. There's no such thing. I post some of my best shit when I'm high.

:thumbsup:

Y'know what's funny? I saw The Black Hole in theaters when it came out, and I have no idea why. :lol: I will admit, though, when I was a kid, Maximilian (or however you spell his name) scared me. :shifty:

That being said, I'm not so sure a remake would do well, nor would I like to see it. Of course, I'm still of the ilk that most remakes (not all, but most) aren't necessary to begin with.

BillyRay
30-Dec-2010, 07:54 PM
Black Hole DID have zombies, of a type...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/8/2009/12/yikes.jpg

DjfunkmasterG
31-Dec-2010, 12:01 AM
Black Hole DID have zombies, of a type...

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/8/2009/12/yikes.jpg

Just had to open that can of worms didn't ya Billy Ray

You might have well just come out and sai 28 Days Later infected are ZOMBIES!!!!! :lol:

bassman
31-Dec-2010, 12:31 PM
Quite a few of these aren't even remakes or reboots...

I'm interested in The Thing and Alien prequels. Especially the Alien prequels. I've recently been going through the Alien blu ray set, so i'm especially psyched for that one. My only worry is that they'll most likely show the origin of the space jockey, which could take a lot of the fun away from the original, imo....

Mr. Clean
31-Dec-2010, 07:33 PM
"The Black Hole" -- never seen the original but not really interested in seeing any more cheesy 60's/70's sci-fi. I'll give it a shot. Netflix.

"Mad Max" -- Unless it's Mel Gibson as Mad Max then no way in hell I'm spending money to see it. It's not Mad Max if it's not Gibson as far as I'm concerned no matter what they call it.

"Alien" -- It's a prequel by Ridley Scott. All I can say is tell me the time and place and I'm there.

"Footloose" -- Hell no.

"The Thing" -- Netflix.

"Straw Dogs" -- Sam Peckinpah was highly overrated in my book and the original is just... well.. kinda boring. Casting Bob Dylan to do the music to his "Billy the Kid" film was nonsensical (even if Coburn and Kristofferson were amazing: it would be a bit like getting Metallica to do a Christmas movie soundtrack). But, it's not using the original setting -- instead we're going to be greeted by these pleasant westerners moving to the south (bring out the banjos, Billy Bob!) where Hollywood will use every contrived cliche possible of casting an imaginary outlook of the south a la "Deliverance" or "Southern Comfort". HELL no to this one!

Fright Night: Eh, quesy about it, but I'll check it out for free on Netflix streaming if offered.

Arthur: This film sounds different from "Alfie" in what way exactly? Eh, not really interested...

Conan the Barbarian: No Schwarzennegger = no thanks.

Judge Dredd: No Stallone = no thanks.

j.p.

Agree 100%

JDFP
31-Dec-2010, 11:45 PM
Agree 100%

I dig this new guy.

:thumbsup:

j.p.

Danny
01-Jan-2011, 10:30 PM
eh, i'm at the point now were i don't give a fuck. When people will add shitty 3d in post production so they can double the price of the ticket it no longer gets me pissed to see good films getting remade. because honestly its still better than another shitty unneeded sequel just for the cash anyway. at least i think so.

Legion2213
03-Jan-2011, 04:53 PM
The Black Hole is an excellent movie...it's the day Disney went dark! Hell, how many other Disney/kids movies do you hear a character shouting "there may be an Einstein-Rosen Bridge to consider"

Oh, and the Cygnus was insanely cool. :cool:

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/black-hole-cygnus.jpg

DubiousComforts
24-Jan-2011, 06:18 PM
"Straw Dogs" -- Sam Peckinpah was highly overrated in my book and the original is just... well.. kinda boring.

In this era of cinematic overkill, "boring" can be (and has been) said of just about any of the early 70s films like The French Connection, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange or even Night of the Living Dead. The Exorcist has also been labeled as "boring."

blind2d
24-Jan-2011, 10:56 PM
In this era of cinematic overkill, "boring" can be (and has been) said of just about any of the early 70s films like The French Connection, The Wild Bunch, A Clockwork Orange or even Night of the Living Dead. The Exorcist has also been labeled as "boring."

And don't get me started on what people say about Citizen Kane!

Danny
24-Jan-2011, 11:35 PM

try to get someone raised on modern films to watch the conversation, they cant do it. if i hadnt studied film at college and uni i probably wouldnt either honestly.

DubiousComforts
24-Jan-2011, 11:56 PM
Forget The Conversation -- just try to get anyone raised on The Sopranos to sit through all three hours of The Godfather. (And that's only part one.)

Everyone doesn't have to enjoy 70s cinema, but a better opinion needs to be offered than "it's boring," which has long since become cliché.

Danny
25-Jan-2011, 12:24 AM
Forget The Conversation -- just try to get anyone raised on The Sopranos to sit through all three hours of The Godfather. (And that's only part one.)

Everyone doesn't have to enjoy 70s cinema, but a better opinion needs to be offered than "it's boring," which has long since become cliché.

okay, i watched the godfather a few times, fell asleep every time till i finally sat through it last month and i found it ,not boring, but somewhere between dull and indifferent. The pacing just seemed off. every performance was good, the writing and music were both excellent, theres just something about the pacing of the first godfather film that makes a basic mafioso sotry seem much much longer than it should have been to say what it did in the time it took.

bassman
25-Jan-2011, 12:46 AM
Speaking of remakes and gangster films.....am I the only one surprised there hasn't yet been another remake of Scarface? With the way it's worshipped by the MTV crowd, you would think it was in the works years ago.

As for Godfather, I've never found it slow or boring. I suppose I could see why some would think so, but maybe Part 2 would be at a faster pace for them?

Danny
25-Jan-2011, 02:03 AM
Speaking of remakes and gangster films.....am I the only one surprised there hasn't yet been another remake of Scarface? With the way it's worshipped by the MTV crowd, you would think it was in the works years ago.

As for Godfather, I've never found it slow or boring. I suppose I could see why some would think so, but maybe Part 2 would be at a faster pace for them?

i never got that "yo yo boyeeeee, i be all lyke scarfizzle up in dis beeyotch!". what is it american folks in the mtv generation find so... praiseworthy about scarface? like not even the movie itself, but some impression that you should know its epic even if you havent seen it.

bassman
25-Jan-2011, 12:29 PM
i never got that "yo yo boyeeeee, i be all lyke scarfizzle up in dis beeyotch!". what is it american folks in the mtv generation find so... praiseworthy about scarface? like not even the movie itself, but some impression that you should know its epic even if you havent seen it.

I don't know. I think it's a good film and all, but if I had to guess....those MTV types think it's great because it's a minority rising to power. I guess then they fall asleep before the ending where all his loved ones die and he goes out in a coke-fueled rage. :shifty:

blind2d
25-Jan-2011, 12:36 PM
I don't know. I think it's a good film and all, but if I had to guess....those MTV types think it's great because it's a minority rising to power. I guess then they fall asleep before the ending where all his loved ones die and he goes out in a coke-fueled rage. :shifty:

He drinks a lot of Coca-cola?
"No, you moron... Cocaine, like. 'Cos he's a gangster, see?" - Murdoc
Ohhh.... Sorry, haven't seen it...
"Please do not. There is nothing worthwhile in this movie, except to show once more the folly of Man and Evil of Crime." - Noodle

AcesandEights
25-Jan-2011, 02:38 PM

Well, it's probably overly simplistic of me to say so, but it is the thugged out, take-the-easy-way version of the American dream. That's why it appeals to not just so many Americans, but so many dictators and demagogues. Or am I the only one who seems to recall always hearing about different jackass juntas etc. that supposedly love Scarface?

LouCipherr
25-Jan-2011, 02:55 PM
Well, it's probably overly simplistic of me to say so, but it is the thugged out, take-the-easy-way version of the American dream. That's why it appeals to not just so many Americans, but so many dictators and demagogues. Or am I the only one who seems to recall always hearing about different jackass juntas etc. that supposedly love Scarface?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/Reactions/jack-shining-yes-head-nod.gif

Trin
26-Jan-2011, 02:02 PM
Is anyone interested in a remake of The Warriors? I'm not saying I am, but I think it'd be entertaining in a train wreck sorta way to watch someone try. Heck, I can't even figure out what I love about the movie, but I gotta watch it every time it comes on. I dig it baby. Can you dig it?