PDA

View Full Version : More Award Nominations

kidgloves
12-Jan-2011, 09:24 PM
Visual Effects Society award nomination

Frank Darabont - Directors Guild of America nomination for Days Gone Bye

Add that to the Golden Globe nomination and it's looking good from a creative point of view

Rancid Carcass
18-Jan-2011, 09:12 PM
Add that to the Golden Globe nomination

So, do we hate the Golden Globes now or what? What's our official stance? :lol:

bassman
18-Jan-2011, 09:15 PM
The show never had a chance, to be honest. It was nice to see it nominated, though.

DjfunkmasterG
19-Jan-2011, 02:21 AM

Anaward nomination is a nomination... bribed or not. :D

MinionZombie
19-Jan-2011, 09:55 AM

It never had a hope in hell of winning. Mark Frost - co-creator of Twin Peaks - summed it up nicely on the Twin Peaks documentary on the DVD boxset. They got nominated after their first season and everyone on the cast got all excited, but as Frost said, they had no chance as the Globe folks are - like most awards bodies - incredibly conservative and slow to award new things, and sure enough Twin Peaks didn't win. As Frost was saying they would have had to at least gotten to season 3 (which they unfortunately never did) to have a proper chance of winning.

Same thing with TWD - it was a huge success, but considering the content - and that there has never been a zombie TV show before - the awards folks aren't going to give it up to TWD just because it's so new, instead they went for (albeit another new show) the 'safe new' option of Boardwalk Empire - which, to be honest, I have been very impressed by (I'm currently catching up on it, and have 3 episodes left to watch) ... but considering it's from HBO, had a shitload of cash spent on it, and has Scorsese and Wahlberg as Exec Producers (and the former directing the pilot), it's no wonder they won. It was well deserved, because the show is rather good, but yeah - the Globe was never going to go to TWD, just like it never went to Twin Peaks all those years ago.

Perhaps if we get into a third season we'll have a really good chance of winning. I mean just think how long it took 24 to get it's year at the awards ceremonies - and that's a much more mainstream sort of show. I'd wager there was a fair amount of snobbery surrounding TWD when it came to those who nominate it for awards. They probably recognised it was a ratings hit and figured "well, let's give it a nomination as not to do so would be a piss take" but then at the same time probably thought "pfft, the zombie show? yeah right!" ... I wouldn't be surprised if there was such snobbery in the minds of the voters.

I'm not saying that reversing such snobbery would have turned the tide totally, but there has to have been an element of it. Boardwalk Empire is like going up against the big guns, and TWD is like 'the little show that could' - Boardwalk Empire is an achievement, but with such big hitters backing it, I'm sure it had an easier time in general than TWD - which has been gestating for years ... however AMC should rightly be applauded for backing it the whole way, especially in essentially giving us a 6-episode pilot.

I've gone off on a ramble here, so I'll shut up now ... Boardwalk Empire was well deserving of the award (unless the last three episodes I have yet to see are really, insanely shit - which is hugely unlikely :p), but on a personal level I was rooting for TWD. I'm hoping that it gets the recognition it deserves for those other two awards mentioned above. Perhaps it stands a good shot of getting those other two. :)