PDA

View Full Version : Case of 12 Mint Dawn of the Dead SPI Games 1978

Wrong Number
20-Jan-2011, 01:06 PM
This is a case of the original Dawn of the Dead games by SPI originally made in 1978. Games are all in original shrink and are in the original shipping box. If you are interested please send me an offer. I'm offering it here first before I go to resellers and/or Ebay.

WN

diane@shootagainpinball.com

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6261/dotdcase1.jpg

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/4348/dotdcase2.jpg

AcesandEights
20-Jan-2011, 01:33 PM
Whoah! I can only assume this would be way too rich for my blood right now.

That is very cool, though!

MikePizzoff
20-Jan-2011, 04:45 PM
Wowwwwww!

ProfessorChaos
20-Jan-2011, 05:40 PM
are you only selling them as a set or are you thinking of selling individual ones?

Neil
20-Jan-2011, 08:56 PM
If you are interested please send me an offer.
OK! Marriage? :)

Seriously though! Do the right thing and send one to me PLEASE!!!!!

Wrong Number
20-Jan-2011, 09:45 PM
I'd prefer to sell them as a set since I think it's cool that a case has survived, but may resort to selling them one at a time if I don't get a reasonable offer for the case.

krakenslayer
20-Jan-2011, 10:34 PM
That's amazing. :eek:

Where the hell did you come across this? A forgotten crate stuffed away at the back of a stockroom somewhere, a la Street Trash? :confused:

Looking at it from an economic point of view, collectors like to covet precious rarities. This usually means having some trinket enshrined in lucite or whatever :lol: But seriously, I think you'll get a lot more money selling individually than together. Selling them individually would get rid of any undertones of the sale being a "job lot" or a "bulk buy" where people will have the expectation of some kind of discount for taking them off your hands in a oner. Also, by showing a box full of eleven units, while it may surprise us, it also carries the psychological message to the buyer that the items aren't really very rare or precious at all; it devalues them individually. After all, it's not like they are a "set" where each item compliments the others.

Wrong Number
20-Jan-2011, 11:33 PM
I'll have to do a little research and see what the going rate is for the games individually. I got it from someone that had held on to it many years acquired at the time of SPI's demise.

WN

axlish
21-Jan-2011, 12:08 AM
Very cool, thank you for sharing such an amazing picture. Let us know if you decide to sell them individually, I would be interested for sure.

Mr. Clean
21-Jan-2011, 01:10 AM
Pretty bad ass, depending on the individual sell. I might be interested. Don't blame you for wanting to sell the whole case.

Doc Foster
21-Jan-2011, 06:52 PM
I already have a sealed copy of the game, but it's still cool to see a box full of them!

Mr.G
22-Jan-2011, 02:45 AM
I'd be willing to buy one if the price is right. I understand wanting to sell them as a group but I have no need for 12 identical games. PM if you want to sell me one!

Wrong Number
22-Jan-2011, 12:34 PM
I'm seriously considering breaking up the case. My feeling is that it's more than likely that whoever I sold it to would do just that anyways. So, looking around the net I could find none for sale and none sold on Ebay in the last 30 days. On boardgamegeek.com I found a standing offer from Toad and Troll for $85 for nice complete copies (not mint) and their site list none for sale, but a price of $150. Again, that's not for a mint in the shrink copy. So the question is, what's a reasonable price for these?

WN

krakenslayer
22-Jan-2011, 03:05 PM
If nowhere else is selling them, why not just try to sell 'em for silly money? $250 probably sounds like waay too much even for a mint copy, but if you're the only guy selling them, it's not like you have a lot of price competition! If someone wants it and you're the only guy selling...

Andy
22-Jan-2011, 04:29 PM
If nowhere else is selling them, why not just try to sell 'em for silly money? $250 probably sounds like waay too much even for a mint copy, but if you're the only guy selling them, it's not like you have a lot of price competition! If someone wants it and you're the only guy selling...

Will you stop giving her ideas :mad:

I'll give you $10 for the lot :shifty:

krakenslayer
22-Jan-2011, 05:01 PM
Andy gets a 99% staff discount obviously. :D

axlish
22-Jan-2011, 06:06 PM
I see a couple of these on eBay a month and used copies go for around $40, and mint copies closer to 80. Here's the thing, if you drop all of them on eBay at once, they will all sell for much cheaper than if you spaced out the sales (perhaps one a month). If you list them consecutively, they will get 5% or so less with each one you sell. The way I think you can get the max profit in the quickest amount of time is if you list them all at once, with a buy it now of something reasonable ($60 range), they will all sell in short order, with maybe a couple of stragglers left over to relist. The bottom line is, there is a very limited market for these. Most people who would spend some decent coin on one of these probably already have one.

Wrong Number
22-Jan-2011, 07:18 PM
I wouldn't consider selling for $40-$60. The going price for games strategy games printed today averages around that range and that's with no movie tie-in. Besides, there is a standing offer of $85 at Toad and Troll: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1773/dawn-of-the-dead. At $60 a piece, I'll just hold them.

WN

axlish
22-Jan-2011, 08:11 PM
$85 a piece is more than reasonable and I would suggest you call Toad and Troll on that offer.

Here is a recent auction for an open, but unused game that ended at $60 (directly in the middle of my 40 used, 80 mint estimation)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dawn-Dead-Board-Game-/220722069274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33640f7f1a

Wrong Number
22-Jan-2011, 08:17 PM
$85 a piece is more than reasonable and I would suggest you call Toad and Troll on that offer.

Here is a recent auction for an open, but unused game that ended at $60 (directly in the middle of my 40 used, 80 mint estimation)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Dawn-Dead-Board-Game-/220722069274?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item33640f7f1a

The person listing it made two big mistakes. By not including SPI in the listing they no doubt missed out on several bidders. Putting the listing in the goofy category they did they missed out on several more. Lucky grab for the person that got it.

WN

axlish
23-Jan-2011, 01:22 AM
WN, I am not trying to be a dick. In fact, I am trying to help you out. I scour eBay every day for Dawn merchandise, and have been doing so for years. The figures I am giving you are accurate, regardless of what category the auction was listed in. GOOD LUCK!

Mr.G
23-Jan-2011, 02:32 AM
WN, I am not trying to be a dick. In fact, I am trying to help you out. I scour eBay every day for Dawn merchandise, and have been doing so for years. The figures I am giving you are accurate, regardless of what category the auction was listed in. GOOD LUCK!

I agree with axlish. An item is worth only what someone else is willing to pay for it. You might get lucky and get 100+ for some but others may go lower than 60. I've been selling on Ebay since 1998 and learned early on not to get attached to a particular item or how much I hope to get for it.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

Wrong Number
23-Jan-2011, 11:04 AM
Considering what I paid for them 15 years ago $60 a piece would not be worth my time or effort. Besides, there is the $85 standing offer from a reseller who lists it for $150 for a complete playing copy, not mint, not in shrink. Being a gamer for over 30 years and selling games since the netnews days I can say with certainly that leaving SPI off the listing and listing in the wrong category absolutely have an impact on the price you receive. Running a business selling restored vintage pinball machines for over 8 years I can also tell you that Ebay is absolutely the worst place to sell those types of items.

My purpose for offering them here was because I thought people here would look at the condition appreciate them more as collector's items rather than just playing copies like I do. Being a hardcore DotD fan since 1978 I'd rather hold them then sell for some ridiculously low price. New games I buy today go for $40-80 on average and the $150 Toad and Troll sale price for a played copy along with the $85 standing offer my thinking was $125 each was a reasonable good price for a mint copy. If people want them, fine if not, fine.

WN

Andy
24-Jan-2011, 10:11 AM
Well if your going to break the set up then I'll give you $125 for one of them. Find out shipping costs to the UK and PM me if your happy with that.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jan-2011, 01:55 PM
The person listing it made two big mistakes. By not including SPI in the listing they no doubt missed out on several bidders. Putting the listing in the goofy category they did they missed out on several more. Lucky grab for the person that got it.

WN

Game company name means squat when it comes to DAWN of the DEAD. Plus, I would say any GAME collectors who are into defunct companies like SPI would already know all their titles and would probably have searched DAWN of the DEAD. Category also means squat when it comes to DAWN of the DEAD.

There are just certain things that don't really need to be category specific, and something with the title DAWN of the DEAD in it would be one of those things...

Andy
24-Jan-2011, 05:15 PM
C'mon guys i think $125 is a very fair price for a mint condition set personally, thus the offer and it is a genuine offer, if WN wants to sell them at that price then let her. By all means advise her as i beleive we have some of the most knowlegable deadheads online here but if her mind is made up, dont harrass her.

DjfunkmasterG
24-Jan-2011, 05:24 PM
C'mon guys i think $125 is a very fair price for a mint condition set personally, thus the offer and it is a genuine offer, if WN wants to sell them at that price then let her. By all means advise her as i beleive we have some of the most knowlegable deadheads online here but if her mind is made up, dont harrass her.

Not harassing her, just pointing out that her reasoning about categories don't mean squat in her quest for top dollar.

I consider AXLISH to be the utmost authority when it comes to DAWN merchandise. I value his opinion greatly because the man collects a lot of Romero stuff, especially DAWN

Andy
24-Jan-2011, 05:37 PM
I Did say imho we have some of the most knowlegable people online here, i was referring to axlish, he has advised me many times and i wouldnt ever try to second guess him.

Im just saying, if WN has decided on her price then let her go with it. It seems like a fair price to me and im sure they will sell in their condition at that price, im happy to take one.

I Could be wrong.. im not claiming to be a expert.

DubiousComforts
24-Jan-2011, 05:44 PM
my thinking was $125 each was a reasonable good price for a mint copy.

$125 is a reasonable price for a mint sealed copy--unfortunately just not in today's market. Many collectibles that have taken a major hit in value, not just DAWN of the DEAD-related merchandise.

Wrong Number
24-Jan-2011, 05:50 PM
Not harassing her, just pointing out that her reasoning about categories don't mean squat in her quest for top dollar.

I consider AXLISH to be the utmost authority when it comes to DAWN merchandise. I value his opinion greatly because the man collects a lot of Romero stuff, especially DAWN

If Axlish is "the utmost authority when it comes to DAWN merchandise" or not, that has nothing to do with board gaming collectors and it's clear you personally have no knowledge in that area either. It's called crossover and I deal with it all the time in my business.

When it comes to board game collecting, my husband and I have a collection of over 2000 tiltes and have been involved in the hobby since the 1970s. I'll say it again, if you think listing something in the wrong catogory and leaving off an important fact that causes a group of people interested in it to miss it's listing will have no effect on price, you are pretty clueless when it comes to selling on Ebay.

WN

axlish
24-Jan-2011, 05:59 PM
Regardless of what the item was listed in, the selling price is par for the course. It had 15 bids, which is very considerable activity. The eBay selling figures for this game that I have given you are accurate. I've seen at least 50 of them sell over the last ten years.

Wrong Number
24-Jan-2011, 08:58 PM
Regardless of what the item was listed in, the selling price is par for the course. It had 15 bids, which is very considerable activity. The eBay selling figures for this game that I have given you are accurate. I've seen at least 50 of them sell over the last ten years.

While 15 bids is "very considerable activity" more is always better. I doubt very much there have been 50 mint original shink games sold in that time. 50 games I'd buy, but condition is key with collectibles in my experience.

WN

kev
24-Jan-2011, 09:51 PM
I bought 4 mint sealed DOTD games about 6 years ago from a trader, sold them on and kept one for myself.
About 9 years ago someone in New york area on ebay was regualy selling Mint sealed DOTD games for $50 on buy now, they were listing them for ages, then at the end they started listing them in Complete Boxes, maybe 10 or 12 for about $500, I never saw any sell. I have been watching ebay DOTD Stuff for 10 years.

axlish
25-Jan-2011, 12:10 AM
50 was a low-ball figure. It is probably more like 100. Like I said in an earlier post, I see a couple a month go on sale. Perhaps its common nature is also hurting the value. As far as new, sealed copies, I've probably seen a dozen or so over the years. I feel like I have seen one or two creep over the $100 mark, but it has been a while. That was around 2004-2005.

I'm mildly interested in the game at best, and that is coming from a Dawn collector. I'd like to have one but I'd never dream of paying over $40. They always go over $40 though, so I've never scored one.

Mr.G
25-Jan-2011, 01:36 AM
I think this is turning into an agree to disagree thread. :p

Wrong Number
25-Jan-2011, 10:30 AM
...I've probably seen a dozen or so over the years.....

I'm mildly interested in the game at best, and that is coming from a Dawn collector. I'd like to have one but I'd never dream of paying over $40. They always go over $40 though, so I've never scored one.

Speaking from the board game world, I promise you that if in some way they managed to get the rights to republish it the list price new would not be less than $50 as a reprint.

Toad and Troll is a well known respected dealer of board games and lists it for $150 for a playing copy. I'm sure they gotten that price many times over the years. I've seen punched copies sell at game auctions for around $75 and up. I've even seen partial games sell in the $30-40 range. Maybe the bottom line is that it's worth more to game collectors than DotD collectors. My bet is that you would not pay $50 for a new board game no matter what it was. In the board gaming world you would expect to find new games at that price or more.

WN

Mr.G
25-Jan-2011, 01:01 PM
. My bet is that you would not pay $50 for a new board game no matter what it was. In the board gaming world you would expect to find new games at that price or more.

WN

I'm not trying to be 'that guy' but you have to admit you can find a brand new board game for under 50 bucks. It might not be in a hobby store or an Axis & Allies type game but you can pick up monopoly, risk, stratego, etc...for under 15 dollars.

Wrong Number
25-Jan-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm not trying to be 'that guy' but you have to admit you can find a brand new board game for under 50 bucks. It might not be in a hobby store or an Axis & Allies type game but you can pick up monopoly, risk, stratego, etc...for under 15 dollars.

You don't want to "be that guy", but what the heck, right? The fact that you list monopoly, etc. just means you don't understand the hobby I'm talking about. I'm talking about adult strategy games, german games, etc. not chlidrens games/toys. Though some of the more advanced Risk games would fit in, but those are in the $50 range like I said.

WN

ProfessorChaos
25-Jan-2011, 06:28 PM
WN, i think you hit the nail on the head about gamers having a certain price they would be willing to pay for this and fans of DotD having another. i was very interested in purchasing one, but couldn't really justify spending any more than 100 bones on it, regardless of the condition. that doesn't change the fact that it is a very cool item (or set, i should say) that you've got on your hands.

best of luck in your sales, but i do highly doubt you'll find many around this site that are willing to pay that kind of money.

Eyebiter
25-Jan-2011, 10:20 PM
Don't sell now, with the economy in the tank you won't get full value for the box set. Instead bring the case of games to an event where you know the four Dawn of the Dead main actors, George Romero, and Tom Savini will appear. Have a group photo taken with them holding the box of games for the camera. Even better if you can get each of them to autograph the cardboard shipping box. Instead of box full of old unplayed board games suddenly you have an artifact that is part of the Dawn of the Dead mythos and legend. Put the autographed box of games along with a color photo and sell it on Ebay for $12,000 US with a buy it now option and free shipping to the lower 48 states.

Neil
26-Jan-2011, 12:00 PM
$12,000? !

Neil
26-Jan-2011, 12:00 PM
$12,000?!

Why don't you offer to buy the box then for $1000-2000 and follow your own advice :)