PDA

View Full Version : Dracula 3D (film) - Rutger Hauer + Dario Argento

Neil
22-Feb-2011, 11:42 AM
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Rutger-Hauer-Is-Van-Helsing-In-Dracula-3D-23291.html

krakenslayer
22-Feb-2011, 12:59 PM
Interesting. Given that both Dario and Rutger are somewhat past the prime of their success, this could either be a two-way career-saver, or a shameful wallow in mediocrity (like Giallo was).

AcesandEights
22-Feb-2011, 01:44 PM
Rutger Hauer used to be great...maybe not as an actor, but just as a charismatic badass, but he's really in need of a transition to something more gritty and less dependent on him muttering "Don't you know I was in Blade Runner" in the mirror before he walks out to shoot a scene.

bassman
22-Feb-2011, 02:31 PM
Hauer's been kicking some ass in recent years, if you ask me. Batman Begins, Sin City, and now Hobo With a Shotgun looks like a blast. True, he's had some low budget stinkers, but at least the guy is keeping busy.

Can't really say the same for Argento. Although I've never really been a fan of his....

JDFP
22-Feb-2011, 04:28 PM
Rutger Hauer is the MAN.

The man has always been a highly underrated and talented actor. I will definitely see this if/when it happens.

j.p.

krakenslayer
22-Feb-2011, 04:33 PM
I don't think Argento has fallen completely - Mother of Tears couldn't touch Suspiria or Inferno, and was just total B-movie trash, but I found it to be incredibly entertaining B-movie trash. A total throwback to old-school Italian exploitation but with good budget and a 21st century sense of humour. Definitely his best since 1985's Phenomena. So here's hoping Dracula 3D follows in the same vein... and let's just forget about Giallo and The Card Player... ;)

Neil
22-Feb-2011, 04:50 PM
Hauer's been kicking some ass in recent years, if you ask me. Batman Begins, Sin City, and now Hobo With a Shotgun looks like a blast. True, he's had some low budget stinkers, but at least the guy is keeping busy.

Can't really say the same for Argento. Although I've never really been a fan of his....
Agreed! He's being doing fine :)

JDFP
22-Feb-2011, 05:13 PM
Don't know how many have seen "Do You Like Hitchcock?" by Argento but it's my most favorite film made by Argento and is extremely good. It is fairly new as it was made within the last decade or so.

j.p.

krakenslayer
22-Feb-2011, 06:13 PM
Don't know how many have seen "Do You Like Hitchcock?" by Argento but it's my most favorite film made by Argento and is extremely good. It is fairly new as it was made within the last decade or so.

j.p.

That was a TV movie he made for Italian cable in 2005. I've not seen it but the reviews I read said it was okay, nothing amazing, but solid entertainment. Was it really as great as you say? Maybe I should check it out...

JDFP
22-Feb-2011, 06:31 PM
That was a TV movie he made for Italian cable in 2005. I've not seen it but the reviews I read said it was okay, nothing amazing, but solid entertainment. Was it really as great as you say? Maybe I should check it out...

I think it really depends on whether you're a big fan of Hitch or not. If you really dig Hitch, you'll really dig "Do You Like Hitchcock?" -- it's a great homage to the man's work. You can see elements from 20+ of his films in the flick. The fun part is picking out which specific film it's from.

j.p.

AcesandEights
25-Feb-2011, 04:40 PM
Agreed! He's being doing fine :)

I dunno. Hauer used to be an arch-badass, but the only decent sized role he's snagged in recent years was proably Salem's Lot. I know he was in the lead role in a movie about...maybe Charlemagne, iirc, in recent years, but I haven't seen it. Am I forgetting decent roles of substance that he's gotten?

rongravy
28-Feb-2011, 12:26 AM
I would just like to see someone finally do the book justice. I read that book as a kid and it took me six months to get through it, but I loved every minute of it.
I doubt they will, but who knows? You can always hope.
I like Rutger. Everytime Blind Fury is on, I'm on it like a hobo on a ham sammich. That, and everytime I eat at a greasy diner, I like to do the finger in the french fries scene from The Hitcher for my adoring fans/unsuspecting loved ones.

CornishCorpse
17-Mar-2011, 08:40 PM
Rutger and Argento? Im sold, it may not be accurate to the book but it will be alot of fun thats for sure.

Neil
30-Mar-2011, 11:29 AM
So Hauer is up to play Van Helsing in this new Dracula film... It was only a few years ago he was Dracula himself! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0303929/

MoonSylver
30-Mar-2011, 12:02 PM
Yeah, I'd heard that a week or 2 ago. Rutger as Van Helsing? I'm TOTALLY down with that. :)

Neil
15-Jun-2011, 11:39 AM
Some images/info...

http://geektyrant.com/news/2011/6/10/photos-from-the-set-of-dario-argentos-dracula-3d.html

And a vid...

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=19516

Neil
22-May-2012, 08:03 AM
Oh dear!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/55886

There are moments where you can plainly tell Argento and company were in on the joke and knew the shitty movie they were making which elevates it slightly, but only for those moments… then it just goes back to being yet another bad direct to video adaptation of Bram Stoker’s Dracula.

Argento just paints by numbers, sprinkling the bland results with a few moments of crazy gore. His actors are either bad, embarrassed or phoning it in… I swear to God I caught Rutger Hauer reading off a cue card, his eyes darting back and forth as he falls over his words in a monotone like a last minute guest on Saturday Night Live.

EvilNed
22-May-2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah... Argento hasn't made a decent film in awhile... Giallo was dull. La Terza Madre was OK, but wasted potential. Big fan of both Inferno and Suspiria here.

JDFP
04-Jun-2012, 12:40 AM
Wow, cancel my earlier optimism - this film looks like absolute SHIT!

If there's one good thing we can take from this film it's that Romero isn't the only once very good horror director making absolute garbage these days!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfzwSfDXnAE

Man, how the once mighty have fallen!

j.p.

krisvds
08-Jun-2012, 10:01 AM
Man, you cannot believe how sad this makes me. Didn't have high hopes for this dracula, now i have none.
How a man who made a long series of seriously brilliant horrorfilms (everything from Bird with the Crystal plumage up to Opera + Sleepless) is now attaching his name to such drivel is beyond me. The horror!

This makes GAR's latest look like Citizen Kane.

DjfunkmasterG
04-Oct-2012, 09:16 PM
Yikes, sorry to resurrect a 4 month old thread, but this looks GOD AWFUL.