PDA

View Full Version : Season 2 guest directors

bassman
14-Mar-2011, 03:11 PM
I'm sure we'll be hearing a bunch of names thrown around soon with shooting set to begin in a few months, so I figured a general thread could cover them all....

We all know that Romero was offered a gig, but at the time he was more interested in "doing his own thing".....now it appears that Darabont and company are reaching out to other directors in the genre as Edgar Wright (http://www.joblo.com/arrow/index.php?id=27078) confirmed he was offered an episode...

Frank asked me to do a WALKING DEAD, actually. But I feel that there's some subject matter that, like, even though it'd be great - and I love that show: I actually watched four of the six episodes uninterrupted in one run; it was like zombie Pringles - I think that with something like that, with some TV shows, you wanna be in on the ground floor. I really enjoyed the first season, and I wouldn't wanna be the guy that comes in and fucks it up.

So it makes you wonder - If they've extended invitations to Romero and Wright, who else could we possibly see contribute to the second season?

AcesandEights
14-Mar-2011, 03:49 PM
So it makes you wonder - If they've extended invitations to Romero and Wright, who else could we possibly see contribute to the second season?
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b205/DougOBrien/GaryU.jpg
:D

Savini could be real fun, but opening the field to directors from a genre renowned for it's many bad entries makes me a bit nervous.

bassman
14-Mar-2011, 03:57 PM
opening the field to directors from a genre renowned for it's many bad entries makes me a bit nervous.

True, but on the other hand it could also be a blessing. I believe the general opinion is that Darabont's episode was the best of the season, while the quality dropped a bit when the less experienced or "tv directors" came in. If they could bring in more of that spark we saw in the pilot, I'm down. I'm actually hoping Darabont will tackle more than one episode this time around. The guy who handled episode 5 would be welcomed, as well.

MinionZombie
14-Mar-2011, 06:34 PM
Episode 5 like a mallfucker *high five!*

That was my tied-first-place episode of the season (with the first episode). I was like "holy fucking shit!" :eek: with that episode, and I had the same reaction to episode 6 too.

Ghoulman
14-Mar-2011, 11:42 PM
As long as the list does not include GAR I'm cool with it. I haven't seen SHIT from that man I actually enjoyed for 26 years! Actually, shit, is pretty much all I've seen.

thxleo
15-Mar-2011, 08:28 PM
I was told a few months ago that Quentin Tarantino was high on their "wish list". Another name that was brought up, that I think would be great, is John Harrison. I had the chance to talk with Mr. Harrison about that and he is definitely interested in directing an episode and writing one as well.

I'd love to see Greg Nicotero get a shot at directing one of the episodes. He has the short film "United Monster Talent Agency" under his belt, so why not?

I guess we will find out soon enough!

AcesandEights
15-Mar-2011, 08:37 PM
Interesting. I like Tarantino quite a bit, but his spaghetti ambiance and offbeat approach could be great or horrible for a zombie movie. Dusk Till Dawn was a great fun crime drama romp for the first half of the film, then...

rongravy
15-Mar-2011, 10:24 PM
Tarantino?!?!?!?
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooo!!!

bassman
15-Mar-2011, 10:44 PM
Yeah. I actually like most of Tarantino's movies, but at this point he's become more of a marketing name. He's become a parody of himself and used more as a marketing angle, which I don't think would be good for TWD.

I can see it now. Every commercial for every episode of TWD advertised as "QUINTIN TARANTINO'S The Walking Dead". :p

ProfessorChaos
15-Mar-2011, 11:35 PM
i really don't want to see romero, taratino, or anybody else of that stature come in for a "guest spot", as i feel that it'd weaken the season (and series, ultimately) overall.

i loved season 1, and from what they're saying, season 2 is gonna be even better. i have faith in how they've handled it till this point, no need to bring all kinds of other chefs in the kitchen and fuck up the sauce, knowwhatimsayin? (channeling j-roc from the trailer park boys on that last bit, sorry)

bassman
15-Mar-2011, 11:40 PM
i loved season 1, and from what they're saying, season 2 is gonna be even better. i have faith in how they've handled it till this point, no need to bring all kinds of other chefs in the kitchen and fuck up the sauce, knowwhatimsayin? (channeling j-roc from the trailer park boys on that last bit, sorry)

They brought in other chefs on the first season. Each episode was handled by a different director, iirc. At least this time they have a chance to bring in better chefs. Like you said, it could cheapen the series(tarantino), but it could also help out in so many areas.

ProfessorChaos
15-Mar-2011, 11:54 PM
well, in my post, i was going to say that they did use a couple of directors who've also done episodes of breaking bad, another fave show of mine. but figured nobody'd want to hear me rave about that show any more....not sure which bb episodes they did, but i'll have to look into it. that show is spectacular, though.

as for season one, i really only had problems with the writing, not the directing. with shows like this, bb, and mad men, though, i tend to rate the season overall, not the individual episodes, as various episodes have to have odd pacing, dull moments, etc for the sake of story-telling. if it's all flashy and action-packed, you end up with something like a michael bay movie.

blind2d
16-Mar-2011, 12:07 AM
George Lucas. No wait, the Buffy guy (yeah, I know... but, y'know?). No, wait! Um... I don't know from directors... nevermind....

Epidemic79
19-Mar-2011, 01:02 AM
Greetings to all,I have been out of touch with the Zombie scene (not by choice!)-the past few months. However i just purchased the SSN 1 of TWD. I am now caught up & getting back in gear.(Shotgun is in the works) But I am curious as to what other Guest Directors are rumored to be on the horizon for the upcoming seasons? Thanks,I forgot how much I digg this froum,you all kick ass!

jded
20-Mar-2011, 07:25 PM
Terry Gilliam, David Fincher, David Lynch. To name a few. God there could be so many that would be so good. Oh snap! Forgot David Cronenberg, for a symptom/bodily functions episode.

darth los
21-Mar-2011, 02:28 PM
True, but on the other hand it could also be a blessing. I believe the general opinion is that Darabont's episode was the best of the season, while the quality dropped a bit when the less experienced or "tv directors" came in. If they could bring in more of that spark we saw in the pilot, I'm down. I'm actually hoping Darabont will tackle more than one episode this time around. The guy who handled episode 5 would be welcomed, as well.

And conversely, the guy who penned the fourth episode should be hanged by his balls. That is all.

:cool:

bassman
21-Mar-2011, 03:58 PM
And conversely, the guy who penned the fourth episode should be hanged by his balls. That is all.

That would be Robert Kirkman. The creator of The Walking Dead. :lol:

darth los
21-Mar-2011, 05:40 PM
That would be Robert Kirkman. The creator of The Walking Dead. :lol:

Well, I guess eveyone deserves their very own "survival" right? :lol:

:cool:

bassman
22-Mar-2011, 12:11 AM
Well, I guess eveyone deserves their very own "survival" right? :lol:

I found it funny earlier this evening when Attack of the Show asked fans who they wanted to work on TWD Season 2 and not a single person said Romero. Sylvester Stallone was suggested, but no love for the "godfather" to be found....

Tom Price
24-Mar-2011, 02:52 AM
And why not Stallone?
He has birthed such excrement as the "depends'-ables.
http://menckens-ghost.blogspot.com/2011/01/come-back-sylvester-stallone-all-is.html
More bang for the buck,as far as Romero is concerned why reward 3 failures in a row with success?
Not a runnable track record.