PDA

View Full Version : Could this happen to you?

chukrok
21-Jun-2006, 03:25 PM
Camera crew surrounded by Sheriff's Deputies....
http://www.wjactv.com/news/9398513/detail.html

livingdeadboy
21-Jun-2006, 03:53 PM
Camera crew surrounded by Sheriff's Deputies....
http://www.wjactv.com/news/9398513/detail.html

Happened in the city where I live just two weeks ago to a small film crew. For my new flick this summer I had to go to the Mayors office and speak with the Staff Seargent to use a fake gun in public.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Jun-2006, 04:06 PM
You should do that as a precaution. I made sure all cities, cops, and public works departments are notified. Not too mention surrounding businesses, or neighborhoods. It adds some extra expense, but... Hey you gotta cover your ass.

They screwed themselves. As an amateur even I knew you had to do that. I don't blame the cops for the way they reacted, but It is sad all the footage was lost. Confiscated by the police.
Because I have guns that look and function like real pistols... well they are real guns, just plugged. Anyway, I made sure I showed the cops and told the cops about it. These poor guys have to now get the proper permits and re-shoot the entire film. Ignorance on a subject never helps.

The police usually come and hang on set when we film on the street so no worries on our end. =)

Eyebiter
21-Jun-2006, 05:05 PM
They will get to see the footage again - it will be entered into evidence for their August court case.

DjfunkmasterG
21-Jun-2006, 07:45 PM
ROFLMAO...

You're probably right. I just read an article about this on another website and I am sorry to report that her failure to be smart and notify people is her own fault and the reason they are in the pickly they are in. Now should the cops of cited them ... NO! they did it to be dicks plain and simple.

7feet
22-Jun-2006, 05:42 AM
In the end, It aint at all surprising that this might happen. But then, I live in Brooklyn, where displaying an even reasonably realistic looking firearm will get you dead right quick. One of the basic costs of shooting is informing the cops, and perhaps getting a waiver to use firearms. Regardless, you tell them, have insurance, and have it handy, along with the permit, or risk a gun to the head.

This made me think in particular. I've done FX for a number of scenes lately that could have ended up like this. They looked ugly, and if the man had not been informed I could see a rookie rolling up and shooting my sorry ass. Tell the towm clowns you plan on simulating the eviseration of a bunch of citizens. Often, you'll find plenty of willing conspirators. But if they get "a call" and you're the dick with the bag, don't be surprised at the ventilation.