PDA

View Full Version : What would you rate as the best horror film(s) of say the past 5-6 years?

Neil
30-Mar-2011, 11:25 AM
Come on?

shootemindehead
30-Mar-2011, 03:54 PM
Right off the top of my head?

'Wolf Creek'

'Silent Hill'

'The Mist'

'REC' (but this was somewhat ruined by a terrible sequel)

Good remakes (from an era of remakes) were 'The Hills have Eyes' and 'The Crazies'.

Haven't seen 'The Girl Next Door' yet, but I heard it was good.

bassman
30-Mar-2011, 04:11 PM
The Mist and The Devil's Rejects are all I can think of at the moment....

MikePizzoff
30-Mar-2011, 04:26 PM
Severance!!! - This quickly became one of my favorites of all-time and any time someone says they haven't seen it, I make them sit down and watch it.

The Hills Have Eyes - Pretty good remake, if you ask me. Some surprisingly gorey stuff in there, for Hollywood at least.

The Host - Awesome awesome awesome. While it's a mix of drama, comedy, and horror - it still counts. The monsters' grand entrance never seizes to amaze me.

House Of The Devil - This movie got a lot of shit for "nothing happening". But, I felt like it greatly followed the formula of late 70's/early 80's horror flicks. Awesome atmosphere, set design, and soundtrack as well.

30 Days Of Night - This movie kicks ass. I know a lot of people that hate it, but I've come to realize all the people that hate it also don't like comic books, so its understandable as the movie was written/filmed like a comic would read.

REC - Pretty awesome... wasn't too into the ending, though. Blair Witch Project, anyone?

Frontier(s) - Nothing that hasn't been done, but plenty of awesome moments. Imagine TCM with more Nazism.

The Descent - Wasn't huge on it when I saw it in theaters, but it grew on me enough to put it on my list.

1408 - I like it and I dislike it. I'm on the fence about it, but there are some scenes that I still think are really cool.

Vacancy - This one will probably surprise you guys, but I really enjoyed it.

The Mist - I somehow forgot to include this, even though I just watched it for like the tenth time the other night.

I know there are more, but I just woke up so I can't think straight.

shootemindehead
30-Mar-2011, 07:25 PM
30 Days Of Night - This movie kicks ass. I know a lot of people that hate it, but I've come to realize all the people that hate it also don't like comic books, so its understandable as the movie was written/filmed like a comic would read.

Agree there Mike. Best Vamp film in decades as far as I'm concerned.

MoonSylver
30-Mar-2011, 10:04 PM
Great horror in the last 5-6 years?

http://sentryoutpost.com/images/Tumbleweed.gif

(j/k!)

I think everyone else already hit the highlights. I've heard great (albeit polarized) things about "The Strangers". I've heard REALLY good things about "Hatchet" & "Hatchet 2" as a glorious return to old-school slashers (which I have a soft spot for.)

MikePizzoff
31-Mar-2011, 12:05 AM
Agree there Mike. Best Vamp film in decades as far as I'm concerned.

Hands down the best since The Lost Boys/Near Dark.

I think everyone else already hit the highlights. I've heard great (albeit polarized) things about "The Strangers". I've heard REALLY good things about "Hatchet" & "Hatchet 2" as a glorious return to old-school slashers (which I have a soft spot for.)

I've owned Hatchet for some time but haven't gotten around to watching it. Yeah, I liked The Strangers. Shoulda put that on my list. The downer ending is fucking awesome... another surprise, coming from Hollywood.

TheHorrorQueen
31-Mar-2011, 12:12 AM
I liked Dead snow and The strangers.

There were others that were good, but most of these remakes just make me kinda ill. I almost got tossed from the theater in the nightmare remake.

Ghost Of War
31-Mar-2011, 07:33 AM
The only other one I can think of that hasn't been mentioned that I enjoyed is Paranormal Activity. REC was really good too.

Ooh, I forgot Martyrs. Superb film.

clanglee
31-Mar-2011, 09:25 AM
Paranormal Activity and REC. Also I really enjoyed Altered.

axlish
31-Mar-2011, 10:36 AM
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

MoonSylver
31-Mar-2011, 12:22 PM
Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

I almost mentioned that one as "heard it was really good/want to see" as well. Heard pretty good things about another retro-slasher "The Hills Run Red".

JDFP
31-Mar-2011, 01:08 PM
No one's mentioned Rob Zombie's remake of "Halloween" yet? Goodness, no taste here.

;)

j.p.

bassman
31-Mar-2011, 01:15 PM
No one's mentioned Rob Zombie's remake of "Halloween" yet? Goodness, no taste here.

Hey thats one I forgot. Add it to my list. :cool:

TheHorrorQueen
31-Mar-2011, 04:34 PM
YES! behind the mask, great flick! Bassman I am new here, and not aware of the sarcasm yet, but i am praying that is sarcasm for rz halloween.......

bassman
31-Mar-2011, 04:57 PM
Bassman I am new here, and not aware of the sarcasm yet, but i am praying that is sarcasm for rz halloween.......

:lol:

No...no sarcasm for that one. I like Zombie's Halloween. More than the original, anyway. The original is overrated and bland. The Thing was Carpenters one true GREAT piece of work.

TheHorrorQueen
31-Mar-2011, 05:02 PM
I enjoyed the backstory in rz, but most else was crap. The second one, wow.... I was so disgusted by it. I loved this mans music, but his movies are lacking and not at all what i expected from him. I get it rz, you love the 70's, you like showing your wife off as a whore, and you put totally inappropiate songs (love hurts in halloween???) in the movies. Wheres the movie i was expecting from him?

JDFP
31-Mar-2011, 06:07 PM

The Thing and Christine were Carpenters true GREAT pieces of work.

There, fixed that for you. :):p

j.p.

bassman
31-Mar-2011, 06:13 PM
I would put They Live over Christine. :p

Although not a straight horror film, would the new Piranha count? That was cheesy good fun....

Ghost Of War
31-Mar-2011, 07:27 PM
I don't get the hate for RZ's Halloween...1 or 2...I like 'em both.

MoonSylver
31-Mar-2011, 10:26 PM
Ah hell, if we're going out on a limb here I'll play:

I liked the F13th remake.

There, I said it.

Not 100% faithful to the franchise or to Jason (there WAS a LOT to like about their take on him, but not everything.) But overall, I did like it & it was fun & didn't skimp on the gore.

Tom Price
01-Apr-2011, 03:55 AM
None to barely any that you guys picked.

And if I could rephrase the question: It would be here is the archive to pick from of 50 years or so
5 years GAAAAAAK limitations.

slickwilly13
01-Apr-2011, 04:08 AM
Horror has kind of sucked during the past few years. The only ones liked are: The Mist; Friday the 13th remake; 28 Weeks Later; Piranah 3D; REC; and Hachet.

TheHorrorQueen
01-Apr-2011, 04:43 AM
why did you guys like the f13 remake and the rz halloweens....just curious?

Doc
01-Apr-2011, 07:02 AM
Meh, the Friday the 13th remake is just like any other Friday the 13th film. People go to Camp Blood, having a little fun drinking booze, having a little sex, and partying and getting slaughter. All the same for the most part. I didn't expect the remake to be any different, and it pretty much satisfied expectations. Far as, I know.

MoonSylver
01-Apr-2011, 07:09 AM
why did you guys like the f13 remake?

I like the fact they went back to "human Jason". I liked the look to the character/makeup & thought Derek Mears did a great job playing him. I liked they variety of weapons used & how they kind of captured the idea of someone living in the woods/living off the land.

Meh, the Friday the 13th remake is just like any other Friday the 13th film. People go to Camp Blood, having a little fun drinking booze, having a little sex, and partying and getting slaughter. All the same for the most part. I didn't expect the remake to be any different, and it pretty much satisfied expectations. Far as, I know.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :lol:

Ghost Of War
01-Apr-2011, 07:31 AM
why did you guys like the f13 remake and the rz halloweens....just curious?
I haven't seen the F13th remake yet, but the Halloween remakes, I dunno, I liked the back story in the first one, it made Myers a bit more terrifying seeing him as a kid. The second one, while it wasn't great, I thought it was better than it's being made out to be. The bit with Michaels Mother, though, that just looked a bit daft, like a way to get Sheri in the movie.
As you can tell, I'm not the best film critic in the world. :)

Eyebiter
04-Apr-2011, 12:51 AM
Zombieland

MikePizzoff
04-Apr-2011, 02:08 AM
Zombieland

That's not a horror movie, by any means.

bassman
04-Apr-2011, 02:21 AM
That's not a horror movie, by any means.

Word. It's amazing that people consider comedy films horror. Ghostbusters has been confused as such for twenty five years...

MikePizzoff
05-Apr-2011, 12:29 AM
Word. It's amazing that people consider comedy films horror. Ghostbusters has been confused as such for twenty five years...

I get the connotation of it - because these movies have subject matter that is regularly associated with horror films. But... still doesn't excuse it!

Exatreides
05-Apr-2011, 02:00 AM
I love love love the Devils Rejects. I've seen it so many times that I can nearly quote it line for line. Like two stone cold roosters in a fuck farm!

ZombieKeeper
08-Jun-2011, 07:15 PM
This is so sad, most of the films being listed here are crap.

MoonSylver
08-Jun-2011, 10:06 PM
This is so sad, most of the films being listed here are crap.

So list something better then! :D What would you say were the best horror movies in the last 5-6 years? :rockbrow:

Unless yours was the same as mine:

http://www.tinygif.com/data/media/17/tumbleweed.gif

blind2d
08-Jun-2011, 10:16 PM
I just realized I haven't posted here yet!
Tokyo Gore Police and Machine Girl I think both fall into the given time line. I'd call 'em horror, just cause.
"Oatmeal muffins!"
Thank you Derpy, in a minute...

Oh yeah, how could I forget Midnight Meat Train and Drag Me To Hell?!

krisvds
14-Jun-2011, 05:59 PM
Land of the dead, rec, 28 weeks later, El Orfanato, Drag me to hell, The Strangers, Vinyan, Antichrist.