PDA

View Full Version : Begotten (1990)

EvilNed
11-Apr-2011, 06:32 PM
Anyone seen it? Just got ahold of it, but I've realized this has to be the kind of movie make a special evening off. Perhaps even with some mind-altering substances. I'm holding out for it awhile, maybe I'll see it later in the week.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101420/

rongravy
11-Apr-2011, 08:56 PM
I've seen it. Really fucking weird, it is. Genitalia being whacked off, and all snowy and strange.
Trust me, you're gonna need mind altering substances for this one.

AcesandEights
14-Apr-2011, 01:33 PM
It reads as though it will be either very impressive in a stark cinematic sense, or very trying-too-hard pretentious.

Do you have a review yet, Ned?

EvilNed
14-Apr-2011, 08:07 PM
Not yet, but I got a feeling that tonight is the night...

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 PM ----------

This film is strange and weird, but I guess I kinda knew that going it. There'll be spoilers ahead, so you've been warned!

It wasn't really as atmospheric or mind-numbing as I thought it would be, nor was it as boring or dull as the counterpart would have it be. Rather, this film falls someplace inbetween. It is, at the very least, interesting. But it is NOT as disturbing, grotesque or horrifying as some have made it out to be.

There are a few small questions I have with the film. For instance, the so-called "God" at the beginning is never really identified as such except by the ending credits. For all we, as an audience knows, he's just a looney sitting in the corner of an abandoned cottage and bleeding all over the place. Only the ending credits identify him as "God Killing Himself".

The same goes for Mother Earth, who emerges from his body (Or rather, just from underneath his chair).

As for the "Son of Earth" he is really presented as nothing more than an epileptic wreck. His "character" consists of just laying around having a constant fit. He's picked up by a band of nomads who drag him across rocks, sands, cliffs and the like. They occasionally stop to beat him, or at the very least prod and poke him senseless. I didn't really get a feeling for wether this "Son of Earth" likes or dislikes being beaten or not, because he acts the same all the time: Mindlessly having an epileptic shock.

Anyway, he gets dragged some more, beaten and poked some more. Mother Earth shows up and she's beaten and poked as well.

Strange film. Was it worth 72 minutes? Yeah, I don't regret watching it. But I'll probably never watch it again. And I expected something with a much more chilly atmosphere as opposed to this.

krakenslayer
15-Apr-2011, 08:31 PM
Is this the one where mother nature jerks off a dead god until he jizzes on her and she has a baby?

That's all I remember of the plot, but I recall that it was a fascinating watch; more compelling and classy than the above recollection makes it sound.

EvilNed
16-Apr-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah, that's the one. That's in the opening scene.

rongravy
17-Apr-2011, 03:20 AM
Yeah, I never said it was good or bad, just that it was weird. I agree with the one time viewing thangie, it's kinda like watching someone getting fisted, or eating shit. You gotta see it to believe it, but once that is done, you're not gonna wanna see it again.
Some guy at Blockbuster recommended it to me wayyyyyyyy back.
The style of it is semi riveting, kind of like a car crash. But in the end it is kind of boring. Good for 1990, though.
This thread made me look it up elsewheres. It was supposed to be a trilogy? There is also supposedly a second movie, I guess I'd check it out to see if it is just as fucked up, or just some tired ass I-dunno-what-the-fuck-this-guy-is-on kinda thangie.