PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a GOOD zombie movie?

Pistolero Films
05-Mar-2006, 03:31 PM
1. The Gore
2. The Story
3. The Acting
4. The Way it is Filmed

?

The Reckoning doesn't have a lot of Gore, but I am concentrating on character development and storyline. What are your thoughts? What makes a good zombie flick work?

tju1973
08-Mar-2006, 01:15 AM
But the whole epic feel George got for his money is what makes me keep watching--

Good story, and try not to make the characters to much of a stereotype...

ah hell, just do what you dig...someone will like it-- probably some of us here!:)

panic
08-Mar-2006, 07:37 AM
Don't forget A T M O S P H E R E ... and characterization.

~panic

livingdeadboy
08-Mar-2006, 11:39 AM
The problem with it seems all zombie flicks these days, is that they don't have characters that you give a damn about. Spend a lot of time developing your characters so that we actually care what happens to them in 90 minutes. More focus on the characters, less on the zombies.

DjfunkmasterG
08-Mar-2006, 05:16 PM
I agree with LivingDeadBoy to an extent. You need character development, but the zombies are you main story point so give equal weight to them... Just don't go making them too human. We don't want another BIG DADDY.

Pistolero Films
08-Mar-2006, 07:32 PM
Atmosphere is a big part, too, I am sure. The Reckoning starts towards the end of an outbreak so to speak...so I am trying to get that lonely, alone, abandoned, empty feeling.

I agree, too, that more focus on the characters and less on the zombies. Not to say that there is no focus on the zombies, but I am not putting all my effort into makeup and effects. I think some good effects are needed, but they need to done well and not overdone.

DjfunkmasterG
08-Mar-2006, 09:54 PM
Atmosphere is a big part, too, I am sure. The Reckoning starts towards the end of an outbreak so to speak...so I am trying to get that lonely, alone, abandoned, empty feeling.

I agree, too, that more focus on the characters and less on the zombies. Not to say that there is no focus on the zombies, but I am not putting all my effort into makeup and effects. I think some good effects are needed, but they need to done well and not overdone.

Atmosphere is just one element of which 99 other exist. My film starts off normal, but within the 1st 10 minutes the tone changes drastically. I wanted to do this unpurpose.

Funny you should mention how your film starts... My original version of DEADLANDS was just that. Then when I couldn't get enough money to do that version I scaled it back to the start of the outbreak. So when i re-wrote the script I had to re-register the new script with both the WGA and the © office. Even if you are not a member you can register your script with the WGA. Since I begtan a production company (WETNWILDRADIO films) i can now hire myself to use that script. Once I offer the film for distribution and it gets picked up I can then become a full blown member of the WGA.

Everyone gets on my ass about filming the sequel and using the original script so I said screw it and began saving $25,000 for the sequel which will begin pre-production in 2007.

Danny
15-Mar-2006, 01:25 AM
simple dont put a sex scene in there, that will get a horror film a hell of a lot more respect.

for example does danw of the dead have a sex scene? no and its great, but on the other end of the spectrum in vampires vs. zombies (yes i saw that film and my i.q dropped by 2 points) two women are surrounded by zombies, all the doors are wide open and they suddenyl decide to have a lesbian sex scene, adn then get eaten.

see what i mean?, which one is talked about by film critics as a film not just a "horror" film?.

simple the one minus the sex scene its just filler that goes off from the story and its a sign of cheap writing and directing.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Mar-2006, 01:29 AM
simple dont put a sex scene in there, that will get a horror film a hell of a lot more respect.

for example does danw of the dead have a sex scene? no and its great, but on the other end of the spectrum in vampires vs. zombies (yes i saw that film and my i.q dropped by 2 points) two women are surrounded by zombies, all the doors are wide open and they suddenyl decide to have a lesbian sex scene, adn then get eaten.

see what i mean?, which one is talked about by film critics as a film not just a "horror" film?.

simple the one minus the sex scene its just filler that goes off from the story and its a sign of cheap writing and directing.

I agree, however, the sex scene in the DAWN remake was justififed when they showed how everyone was passing the time, but in general leave it out.

Danny
15-Mar-2006, 01:31 AM
oh and try not to use gore, this sounds dumb but it really is true, in dawn of the dead the zombies are blue, but people dont care, look at all the modern ones, except shaun and 28 days later and all the zombies are heavily rotten , hissing cadavars, this doesnt make for a good zombie film, plus even romero said in fangoria (they were ghouls not zombies at first).

so dont go with loads of gore that only worked for brain dead and evil dead.

okay only use gore if dead is the last word in a two word title,lol.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Mar-2006, 01:39 AM
Again, I couldn't agree more. The over use of gore is distracting and shows another sign of weakness. Only use gore, and justify it's use. DAWN 1978 was very effective in gore use because it was taking the audience to a world they had never been in and in order to show the depths of struggle the humans had against the dead it was justified.

In Day of the Dead, all though the gore was outstanding in terms of the overall look, it was not really needed and thrown in for the sake of fans. Land... this is a perfect example of when not to use gore, or the how the overuse of it can damage a film.

Danny
15-Mar-2006, 01:50 AM
damn straight, ive written and directed a few horrors myslef and my college porf said, "wow i was really impressed you chose a horror and it did this well", so i know what the audience wants man!.

but the chavs said "oy weres the chicks with bigi tits!, are you gay or summin'".

after which they left the screening to ask people at the bus stop if they had 20p they could borrow.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Mar-2006, 01:52 AM
LMMFAO...

When I had the screening of DEADLANDS last october someone said "What no hot chicks?"

I just laughed... I replied "we were aiming for ugly during casting."

Danny
15-Mar-2006, 02:01 AM
what?, like the evil dead?,lol.

Wahsleety
15-Mar-2006, 04:36 PM
Originality and film. If someone can afford $3,000- $10,000 for cameras then they could find four or more super 8 cameras on ebay and can afford more then enough film. Just my opinion of course.

DjfunkmasterG
15-Mar-2006, 04:48 PM
With new DV cameras filming in 24P advanced mode and having the look of low grade 35MM film... why would anyone wanna go super 8?

I would take 2 DVX100's over a super 8 anyday. Just my opinion of course.

Pistolero Films
15-Mar-2006, 05:53 PM
Well my movie, The Reckoning, has no sex scenes and gore is kept to a minimum and when there is gore, it will be done right. I'd rather spend my time and money with one gore shot, than spread it out over a film and have it all cheesy.

On another topic interlaced in here: I think the remake of Dawn showed a sex scene to make certain that the guy we thought was gay, was in fact a playboy.

The lead character in The Reckoning is female, but she isnt necessarily "a hot chick" - rather an outcast of society herself, a "goth" type, loner.