PDA

View Full Version : Feeder

livingdeadboy
22-Jun-2006, 12:06 PM
My new short flick, now on you tube.

FEEDER (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJsXfYgXeqE)

Wahsleety
22-Jun-2006, 04:32 PM
I like this one. It's similar to a picture i've been working on for a while. Cool, thanks.

livingdeadboy
22-Jun-2006, 05:47 PM
I like this one. It's similar to a picture i've been working on for a while. Cool, thanks.

Glad you liked it

Danny
22-Jun-2006, 08:14 PM
you know i just realised i watched the wrong damn film,hahaha!.

having now watched the right one (the fact that it was the same actors from survivors finally gave away id been a prat and clicked on a wrong link), i liked it a lot, the writings improved a lot from survivors and the dudes acting was a little better too, nice one!

axlish
22-Jun-2006, 08:57 PM
I think it was well shot, well scored (where'd you steal the music from? :) ), and well acted. I couldn't understand most of the "deep voice talk" though, and the convo in the bathroom ran a little long. Overall a good effort.

livingdeadboy
23-Jun-2006, 10:38 AM
I think it was well shot, well scored (where'd you steal the music from? :) ), and well acted. I couldn't understand most of the "deep voice talk" though, and the convo in the bathroom ran a little long. Overall a good effort.

Didn't steal the music from anywhere, made it myself. At one point in the movie I used a few pre-recorded loops from soundtrack.

MinionZombie
23-Jun-2006, 02:45 PM
"If sh*t were a bag, it'd be you" - fantastic line. :D

I think you can be very proud of that film, like what was said before though, the bathroom stuff could have done with a bit of a trim for pacing and the slow voice was at times hard to understand. However, the rest of the film was rather cool with some nice gore chucked in for good measure. I can see you've really improved since "Survivors" (which I also enjoyed and was also good) so you're definately heading in the right direction with your filmmaking.

All in all a very nice short film, good stuff dude. :cool:

livingdeadboy
23-Jun-2006, 03:32 PM
"If sh*t were a bag, it'd be you" - fantastic line. :D

I think you can be very proud of that film, like what was said before though, the bathroom stuff could have done with a bit of a trim for pacing and the slow voice was at times hard to understand. However, the rest of the film was rather cool with some nice gore chucked in for good measure. I can see you've really improved since "Survivors" (which I also enjoyed and was also good) so you're definately heading in the right direction with your filmmaking.

All in all a very nice short film, good stuff dude. :cool:

Thanks man:D

axlish
23-Jun-2006, 04:00 PM
Didn't steal the music from anywhere, made it myself. At one point in the movie I used a few pre-recorded loops from soundtrack.

Is soundtrack a program?

livingdeadboy
23-Jun-2006, 04:40 PM
Is soundtrack a program?

Yeah sorry, should have specified. Its a music program for Mac.

DjfunkmasterG
23-Jun-2006, 08:04 PM
Hey Dude, I just checked out your flick and I have to say good job. It was well shot, and the writing was really good. Well done! :D

I have some issues with the film. The pitched down voice for your vampires needs work. It makes a lot of the dialogue inaudible. I had to rewind back and turn up the volume just to understand a lot of what they were saying.

Pacing... Is a little off, but nothing major.

The highlight for me was the writing and the scene in the bathroom. The dialog was fantastic especially when the vampire friend was talking about whether or not he would take pity on his human friend or just kill him.

All in all I would give it a 7 out of 10.

Is this your 2nd or 3rd film? Ya know what no matter. it is good and I was entertained. Job well done!

livingdeadboy
23-Jun-2006, 08:21 PM
Hey Dude, I just checked out your flick and I have to say good job. It was well shot, and the writing was really good. Well done! :D

I have some issues with the film. The pitched down voice for your vampires needs work. It makes a lot of the dialogue inaudible. I had to rewind back and turn up the volume just to understand a lot of what they were saying.

Pacing... Is a little off, but nothing major.

The highlight for me was the writing and the scene in the bathroom. The dialog was fantastic especially when the vampire friend was talking about whether or not he would take pity on his human friend or just kill him.

All in all I would give it a 7 out of 10.

Is this your 2nd or 3rd film? Ya know what no matter. it is good and I was entertained. Job well done!

Thanks dude, it's probably my 13th flick i think. Sheesh that sound quality must really be awfull online, cause you can hear what I am saying there perfectly on dvd...bizzzzarrre. Its obviously just the compression of the video file...gahh.

LoSTBoY
24-Jun-2006, 01:15 AM
The deep voice on the vampire can be missed. Unless he looks physically changed then there is no need for it. But if you really need it, try something else...it doesn't sound right. Half the time I couldn't understand it.

Your the vampire, right? Not bad. The other guy can do with some lessons. ;)

Cool though.

MapMan
24-Jun-2006, 03:30 AM
Good job.

chukrok
24-Jun-2006, 03:56 AM
Overall, nice work. I agree about the voice thing, but again, good job.

livingdeadboy
24-Jun-2006, 12:25 PM
The deep voice on the vampire can be missed. Unless he looks physically changed then there is no need for it. But if you really need it, try something else...it doesn't sound right. Half the time I couldn't understand it.

Your the vampire, right? Not bad. The other guy can do with some lessons. ;)

Cool though.

Well I am glad you got a kick out it, as for the acting, what do you expect, all i got are my friends to use, all of them have about zero interest in acting. Justin is a writer, and stephanie is in college for psychology, and I really don't like acting either.

LoSTBoY
24-Jun-2006, 03:43 PM
Well I am glad you got a kick out it, as for the acting, what do you expect, all i got are my friends to use, all of them have about zero interest in acting. Justin is a writer, and stephanie is in college for psychology, and I really don't like acting either.

Well, for your next one you should start auditions!

:lol: I was kidding about the acting lessons, the guy did pretty well in the middle but looked a bit silly at the end.

livingdeadboy
24-Jun-2006, 06:07 PM
Well, for your next one you should start auditions!

:lol: I was kidding about the acting lessons, the guy did pretty well in the middle but looked a bit silly at the end.

Ah well, I suppose in the end it is my fault, I am the director, I should probably be pushing the actors a little harder.

MinionZombie
24-Jun-2006, 09:17 PM
I know what you mean, the sort of folk (my friends I mean) that I work with on short films have either no acting history or at most did Drama in high school. However, my mate Ben (who was in the short I filmed the main elements for this week) did Drama (I think anyway) but certainly did community theatre. So he's done quite well, I find he's a third to fifth take hitter after he's warmed up to the dialogue.

It's all quite good considering there isn't really much (or sometimes any!) rehearsal time, just some mates clubbing together to be on screen to help me out making a short film, so it's all good.

I don't appear in my short films, I did in "Digital", but that required no acting beyond essentially silent cinema style acting, I had no dialogue. I just set up the camera and hopped in front for the shots, that was my first scripted short which I did back in early summer 2004. Now "VHS" is my fourth scripted short film, but it's far from complete. Once it's done I'll post that bitch up for y'all to see.

paulannett
25-Jun-2006, 12:51 AM
Overall, I enjoyed the film, though as the others said, the vampire voice was often hard to understand (no biggy, this has been addressed).

I do have a little irk though, again nothing big, but I also noticed this in Survivors. Some of the words used in your script REALLY didn't fit in, in my opinion. For example (loose paraphrasing here): "How'd this all thing start? A government experiment gone awry." For me, "Awry" stuck out like a sore thumb, it just did not sound natural for the character to say it so... I don't know...elegantly?

Like I said though, it's a very small aspect that annoys me personally. :)

livingdeadboy
25-Jun-2006, 02:19 AM
Overall, I enjoyed the film, though as the others said, the vampire voice was often hard to understand (no biggy, this has been addressed).

I do have a little irk though, again nothing big, but I also noticed this in Survivors. Some of the words used in your script REALLY didn't fit in, in my opinion. For example (loose paraphrasing here): "How'd this all thing start? A government experiment gone awry." For me, "Awry" stuck out like a sore thumb, it just did not sound natural for the character to say it so... I don't know...elegantly?

Like I said though, it's a very small aspect that annoys me personally. :)

lol, I really got to fix that damn vampires voice. In regard to the lines, I really do talk like that, I'll often just write how i'd say it, most of the times the actors switch it up a bit, but people like justin like to keep it like the script. Man i should really start posting some better videos online, lol.

7feet
25-Jun-2006, 10:42 AM
Hey, I like "awry". Sometimes a word is right, but it can help involving the actors when it comes to the specific layout of the dialog. Theres plenty of things I could write, and then say with complete conviction, which would sound like utter ass coming out of someone elses mug.

As far as the voices go (okay, forgot this, I like the short), you might be able to get away with just filtering some of the bottom end out and kicking the volume a touch. Or maybe just kick the mids about 2.5K or so, thats the range where most "legibility" in vocals is. There are also a few progs/plugins that do pitch shifting but are more oriented to voice - for example to make a female voice sound more "male". That might help. Or my call would be to bring the pitch up a few tones (what did you use, a straight octave down?), not to many, and try the EQing as above.

Whatever, coming along nicely. What are you shooting on these days?

paulannett
25-Jun-2006, 12:12 PM
lol, I really got to fix that damn vampires voice. In regard to the lines, I really do talk like that, I'll often just write how i'd say it, most of the times the actors switch it up a bit, but people like justin like to keep it like the script. Man i should really start posting some better videos online, lol.

Ah! I never took it into account, that you actually talk like that. Finding someone here who actually knows what "awry" means would be quite a challenge, which is probably why it stuck out for me.

Anyway, all's well! :rolleyes:

MinionZombie
25-Jun-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey! I use the word "awry" (now and then), lol, I'm no ordinary chimp in clothes I'll have you know. :D

paulannett
25-Jun-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, check you out!

:D

7feet
25-Jun-2006, 12:38 PM
Well, it would be more quote style "it went horribly awry". Often when I was beating a director over the head for not keeping control over their shoot. English can be a real bitch if you don't speak it natively but it's got... stuff you can do with it that's pretty interesting. Go into any 3rd grade English class and you'll find a bunch of kids who are confused, it really don't make no sense. I think thats part of the problem. Too many irregulars.

I spent a while tonight trying to bust out some Portuguese. my spanish is dogged but it was worth a shot, she was, uh, mad hot.

dethhead
26-Jun-2006, 04:03 AM
yeah good job, well above survivors. youve still got a long way to go but at least your getting there. again i injoyed watching it.

livingdeadboy
28-Jun-2006, 06:59 PM
yeah good job, well above survivors. youve still got a long way to go but at least your getting there. again i injoyed watching it.

Adrenochrome
01-Jul-2006, 01:07 AM
I enjoyed it,..............but.
find some software to manipulate voice.
This may have been discussed, but......
find some software to manipulate voice......the character is fine....the voice manip is so old.......sorry, but it is.
you can find some kick ass software to play with ALL the sounds/tones/it's and was's!!!!

good luck!

peace

livingdeadboy
01-Jul-2006, 10:10 PM
I enjoyed it,..............but.
find some software to manipulate voice.
This may have been discussed, but......
find some software to manipulate voice......the character is fine....the voice manip is so old.......sorry, but it is.
you can find some kick ass software to play with ALL the sounds/tones/it's and was's!!!!

good luck!

peace

Argh that damn audio, i am currently fixing it, its not the programs fault, its just my sense of hearing. But I am fixing it up and toning down the whole demon voice a bit.

MinionZombie
02-Jul-2006, 10:53 AM
Sometimes it can be an easy mistake, because you're the filmmaker and you probably know the script back to front and sideways, so you're not really hearing the audio, it's triggering the knowledge of the script in your brain so you believe it to be fine. But of course the first time viewer has no idea what the script is, so they have to get all the information from scratch from the audio.

It's happened to me before, so now I pour over my audio (if I fiddle around with it in such a manner), probably too much actually. I find closing my eyes and replaying it over and over making sure I can hear at least 90% of the syllables clearly and then bingo...fruit pie.