PDA

View Full Version : The 1st Walking Dead Book - Rise of the Governor

kidgloves
27-Apr-2011, 04:27 PM
** POSSIBLE SEASON 2 SPOILERS **

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0312547730?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

In the Walking Dead universe, there is no greater villain than The Governor. The despot who runs the walled-off town of Woodbury, he has his own sick sense of justice: whether it’s forcing prisoners to battle zombies in an arena for the townspeople’s amusement, or chopping off the appendages of those who cross him. The Governor was voted “Villain of the Year” by Wizard magazine the year he debuted, and his story arc was the most controversial in the history of the Walking Dead comic book series. Now, for the first time, fans of The Walking Dead will discover how The Governor became the man he is, and what drove him to such extremes.

krakenslayer
27-Apr-2011, 04:33 PM
Waitaminute... the GOVERNOR? A cruel despot who lives in a walled-off community and feeds those who cross him to the zombies? You mean kinda like that character in the original Day script... what was he called? Oh yes: THE GOVERNOR - a cruel despot who lives in a walled-off community and feeds those who cross him to the zombies. :P

I smell a lawsuit.

MinionZombie
27-Apr-2011, 05:44 PM
So this is a spin-off novel from the comic series?

Incidentally, the last TWD that I read was Volume 5 - the first of the trade paperbacks to feature The Governor. So I'm personally quite new to the character.

AcesandEights
27-Apr-2011, 06:34 PM
Interesting. The premise reminds me of the fanfic story I always wanted to write about the rise of Kaufman, though it wouldn't have been titled as such.

Ghoulman
30-Apr-2011, 01:05 PM
NICE!! I am on that like stink on a roamer!

kidgloves
09-Apr-2012, 07:54 PM
Follow up coming "The Road to Woodbury"

http://dailydead.com/robert-kirkman-talks-upcoming-novel-the-walking-dead-the-road-to-woodbury/

Mannyrue
09-Apr-2012, 08:47 PM
That book was a very good read,been a long time since I book hooked me like trotg did.

bassman
09-Apr-2012, 09:08 PM
I sincerely hope newcomers to the comic series don't read these books first. It totally ruins the character.

Even the promotions for the casting of the character in the tv show give it all away. That is if they're keeping the same introduction from the source, anyway...

Sammich
10-Apr-2012, 01:23 AM
Waitaminute... the GOVERNOR? A cruel despot who lives in a walled-off community and feeds those who cross him to the zombies? You mean kinda like that character in the original Day script... what was he called? Oh yes: THE GOVERNOR - a cruel despot who lives in a walled-off community and feeds those who cross him to the zombies. :P

I smell a lawsuit.

Also sounds like Kaufman from Land of the Dead.

Trencher
10-Apr-2012, 07:40 AM
I sincerely hope newcomers to the comic series don't read these books first. It totally ruins the character.

How so?

bassman
10-Apr-2012, 10:42 AM
How so?

I'm assuming you've read the comics, but i'm going to put it in spoilers for those that haven't:

The entire point of the Governor character and Woodbury was to at first seem like the perfect safe haven for Rick and his group. You're not supposed to know that he's a bad guy at first. But now with these new novels, as well as the few press releases we've seen for season three, they seem to be throwing all of that out of the window. As I mentioned earlier, they may change the character and make him a straight-forward villain in the TV series, but if they're intending to stick close to the source material and introduce him in a similar way, they're kinda dropping the ball already.