PDA

View Full Version : The Home That Martin Built

jded
07-May-2011, 05:55 PM
I'm wondering if someone has been to and/or knows the precise location of the Martin home used for filming Romero's finest work? I do remember a tidbit from the extra's that gave us a tour, but I don't recall them mentioning a specific address.
I was figuring Philly_SWAT may know, and I'm sure counting on him or one of you all to have the 411. I'll be back east this July so I'd like to utilize the time by visiting a few Romero landmarks. :D

C5NOTLD
08-May-2011, 01:30 AM
It caught on fire back in Feb. House is in Braddock Pa - still owned by Tony Bubba.

jded
08-May-2011, 07:01 PM
C5NOTLD, Thank you! By chance are you aware of any address or directions to the home?

Trancelikestate
09-May-2011, 06:50 PM
Thxleo knows.

bassman
09-May-2011, 07:01 PM
A quick search for "Buba" in "Braddock, PA" gave me the address. 219 5th Street, Braddock, PA. 15104

Google's view of the house (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=219+5th+St,+Braddock,+PA+15104&layer=c&sll=40.403811,-79.871591&cbp=13,298.32,,0,-6.47&cbll=40.40379,-79.871591&hl=en&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=219+5th+St,+Braddock,+Pennsylvania+15104&ll=40.402925,-79.870434&spn=0,0.013894&z=17&panoid=9YNeD3cWQKzqejhYOODFMA)

That's the house, correct?

God it's creepy what you can find on the internet these days...

jded
09-May-2011, 08:20 PM
Wow that is very creepy, that Google map thing.
So I guess that's the place, although when you click on the pic labeled 219 in the upper right hand corner it take's you out into the street. But that two story must be it. In the film Romero never gives us a good shot of any of the characters entering the home through the front, but he does catch the address over Martin's shoulder during the scene when Christina and Arthur leave town.

Thank's for your initiative bassman. I'm not 100% sure but thank you man!

bassman
09-May-2011, 08:25 PM
Another google search for "house in Romero's Martin" produced this old gem: http://www.wgonzombiewatch.com/Martin.html

I'm not sure because I'm not a huge fan of the film, but it looks like it must be the one.

No problem. I enjoy going on these little hunts. :)

jded
09-May-2011, 09:06 PM
Another google search for "house in Romero's Martin" produced this old gem: http://www.wgonzombiewatch.com/Martin.html
Geeeeeez! You know I wonder if these pics are older or newer than the Google pics? If the Google are the most recent to date, then the place and it's surroundings have really gone down hill. It looks so dirty and left for dead in the Google photo's.

I'm not sure because I'm not a huge fan of the film, but it looks like it must be the one.

No problem. I enjoy going on these little hunts. :)
Thank's again!

C5NOTLD
10-May-2011, 01:00 AM
Google's view of the house (http://maps.google.com/maps?q=219+5th+St,+Braddock,+PA+15104&layer=c&sll=40.403811,-79.871591&cbp=13,298.32,,0,-6.47&cbll=40.40379,-79.871591&hl=en&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=219+5th+St,+Braddock,+Pennsylvania+15104&ll=40.402925,-79.870434&spn=0,0.013894&z=17&panoid=9YNeD3cWQKzqejhYOODFMA)

That's the house, correct?

God it's creepy what you can find on the internet these days...

Yes that is the house. The right side is where the fire was - all Upstairs windows on the right were boarded up back in Feb. The attic where Martin was staked also received damaged. Not sure how much restoration has been done since.

jded
25-Jul-2011, 06:53 PM
Hello my friends!

Well, I am back from my trip to Ohio. I flew into Pittsburgh, spent the night in Moontownship, and made way for downtown PIT and Braddock the next day. Pittsburgh was all that and then some.
Can't say the same for Braddock, must have been a quaint little gem of a town way back when, still could be to this day, but looks to have fallen apart and been left for dead. At least that's what I can says true for the area I visited near and around the home.
As a matter of fact on our way out me and my brother pulled into a gas station several miles outside of Braddock and mentioned we had come from there, and the clerk assured us that we had just visited the hood, at least that's what she liked to call it.

Stay tuned! I have juicy photos. A close encounter story to tell of a conversation I had with the next door nieghbor. And a mysterious sort of welcome I declined to take even though I was aware that I was being nudged by my inner voice to accept and proceed with curiosity.

jasonwhite
14-Aug-2011, 06:22 AM
Well...what happened in Braddock?

I actually live about 3 miles from the Martin house. I visited it recently and took some photos. Some are on my blog http://somertonrecords.blogspot.com

When I last was at the house all but one window was boarded up and the house itself had been painted a horrible sage green. I can email pics in color if anyone is interested. (somertonrecords@gmail.com). I'm curious about what took place there because I also had a strange encounter with the neighbor. They came out on the front porch and just stared at me like the zombies in Messiah Of Evil. One guy had a mixing bowl and a large wooden spoon. They just stood there. It was really bizarre.

Mr. Clean
14-Aug-2011, 06:29 AM

I actually live about 3 miles from the Martin house. I visited it recently and took some photos. Some are on my blog http://somertonrecords.blogspot.com

When I last was at the house all but one window was boarded up and the house itself had been painted a horrible sage green. I can email pics in color if anyone is interested. (somertonrecords@gmail.com). I'm curious about what took place there because I also had a strange encounter with the neighbor. They came out on the front porch and just stared at me like the zombies in Messiah Of Evil. One guy had a mixing bowl and a large wooden spoon. They just stood there. It was really bizarre.

Your feedjit gadjet got my location wrong....for the record...

jasonwhite
16-Aug-2011, 02:47 AM
Your feedjit gadjet got my location wrong....for the record...

Yeaaaaaaaaaah... I didn't invent feedjit...so I couldn't care less. For the record.

Sorry.

jded
03-Sep-2011, 10:15 PM
Here's some of the pictures.

Colorful welcome sign heh? Don't know the history behind the town that would make it historical but George must have seen something.
I wish I could have roamed the streets years ago before it declined. It must have been a beautiful place once upon a time. Oh well! I went. I saw. And that was the goal, even if it meant getting teased for doing so, which my family back east was more than happy to supply. They asked a few times why on earth I wanted to go there.
I drove with my brother to Braddock in a rental he picked up in Pittsburgh. He really had no clue as to the importance of me going. I had planned it, but to him it was frivolous.
So going to see the home became a joke for him and the whole rest of the trip a comparison to Braddock. From then on if I asked him where we were going he'd reply with sarcasm "we're going to Braddock" he'd say. Imagine a North Carolina accent combined with that sarcasm.
My Uncle in Ohio snickered and smiled and thoughtfully mentioned that the town was full of priests. My Grandmother assumed the reason I went was to see the zombies (Monroeville) because that's what I did the last time I was there.
And you know I took it and laughed along with them and joked that the reason I went was that one day I was going to own the home, I said "I'm going to buy that house some day, just because." And they laughed! Hahaha!
Well you never know I just might. That'd be cool!

Mike70
02-Oct-2011, 04:33 AM
uh, no offense but the neighborhood Martin was filmed in looked like shit in the 70s and seemed well on its way down the tubes. i can only imagine what nearly 40 years has done...

jded
19-Nov-2011, 07:09 AM

Sorry I left you hanging on the peculiar things that happened to me while I visited the house. If you still want me to tell you about it I'd be happy to. Also wasn't sure if you were still around.