PDA

View Full Version : old skool gaming

general tbag
22-Jun-2006, 06:56 PM
any other old skool gamers. i still play nintendo and my genesis . also my n64 alwasy gets aot of love. i wish i didnt sell my super nintendo though.

p2501
22-Jun-2006, 07:19 PM
i still have an old NES. but most of the battery packs in my games have long since failed.

personally i'm waiting on the WII, and it's Sega Genesis Rom.

bassman
22-Jun-2006, 07:23 PM
I've still got two NES systems, an Atari System, SNES, N64, and a Sega Genesis. All of which are packed away in my basement.

I still have an XBOX hooked up to my entertainment center in my living room but it's only for copying cds. Cool thing to have. For some reason, it stopped playing games a while back but could still copy CD's.

Tullaryx
22-Jun-2006, 07:45 PM
Pffft! two words: Intellivision, Colecovision. Still got both though I can't play with them since I cant hook them up to my new HDTV. :(

Bunker65
22-Jun-2006, 07:47 PM
Still have my Atari 2600, Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo Gamecube & original Xbox to go along with my 360. I wish I still had my Intellivision & my original Pong console :(.

Danny
22-Jun-2006, 07:59 PM
its not proper old school but i wish id never sold my dreamcast.:mad:

general tbag
22-Jun-2006, 08:06 PM
its not proper old school but i wish id never sold my dreamcast.:mad:

the dreamcast was years ahead , online gaming and such . also the homebrew scene is still kicking.

Danny
22-Jun-2006, 08:10 PM
the dreamcast was years ahead , online gaming and such . also the homebrew scene is still kicking.

yet people never recognise the how good the snes was, i mean downloading mario characters for excite bike?, that was 15 years ahead of its time and more proof the wii will kick ass!:D

erisi236
23-Jun-2006, 12:33 AM
I still hook up the ole' Genesis to play some Gunstar Heroes now and again, still as good today as it was all those years ago :cool:

p2501
23-Jun-2006, 03:20 PM
since were going that route.

did anyone else have a Comadore 64?

****, Airborne Ranger was bar none the best game ever.

slickwilly13
23-Jun-2006, 03:51 PM
Every now and then I'll pull out my Sega Genesis or Sega CD. I still have my Dreamcast. Btw, I read up until recently they still made Dreamcast games over in Japan.

CoinReturn
23-Jun-2006, 05:42 PM
Still have my NES, SNES, and Genesis 3. I'd play them but when you have a PC capable of running emulators it seems like to much work to pull the systems out, blow in the carts to make them work, etc. The only older system I still play with any regularity is Dreamcast, which died too early in my opinion.

Adrenochrome
23-Jun-2006, 07:03 PM
any other old skool gamers. i still play nintendo and my genesis . also my n64 alwasy gets aot of love. i wish i didnt sell my super nintendo though.
The only place I wander is(are) the land(s) of MYST.......I know, I know.......but I like them.

LouCipherr
23-Jun-2006, 07:20 PM
OMG, I'm glad I'm not the only one still with his classic consoles.

I still have my Atari 2600, my old Sears PONG machine (two knobs and 4 games.. simply classic! :lol:) and of course, the best thing I own as far as "classic" gaming is this, which I built with the help of my brother:

Lou's MAME Machine (http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e104/LouCipherr/MAME%20Cabinet/FinishedCabinet2.jpg)

That bad boy right there has 4,000+ classic arcade games in it. It runs MAME32 (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator for Win32) and provides me with more fun than any of my other consoles, including the PS/2 and Xbox. :D

Talk about a arcade game geek/junkie. :elol:

Danny
23-Jun-2006, 07:50 PM
The only older system I still play with any regularity is Dreamcast, which died too early in my opinion.

i couldnt agree more i loved mine right till the cd reader burnt out, too late did i discover sega was fixing em for free, and id buy a dreamcast 2 like that!, possibly make it a handheld, thatd rock:cool:

general tbag
23-Jun-2006, 08:14 PM
since were going that route.

did anyone else have a Comadore 64?

****, Airborne Ranger was bar none the best game ever.

commodore was my first pc gaming rig. i have fond memories of playing maniac mansion, and moon patrol. also was the first time i got into bootlegs. ahhh 5 1/2 inch floppies

yea the dreamcast still gets games released not only from japan but also the us and england, prime example is foot of fury, and there still are others planned to be released. the dreamcast did die to soon in my books, but piracy was becoming a issue. i hope they release the source for seganet.`quake 3 played great even for dial up. the last generation of dreamcast games were surpassing in gfx dept compared to the rest of the systems at the time.

Dawg
23-Jun-2006, 08:22 PM
Two Atari 2600s that I traded from a guy years ago, my first experience with Atari though was when my brother bought a Sears Gemini Arcade System that ran 2600 carts.

Atari 7800 that I traded for from a friend years later.

Skipped Colecovision, Intellivision, but had a friend who had it and the Dungeons and Dragons game which was bad at the time.

Nintendo (NES) with Super Mario Bros., first system I ever bought with allowance money. Saved up for it from Christmas to March the next year after it was released. ('85/'86) I had to decide if I wanted the Sega Master System or wait for the NES. I chose right. :)

Sega Genesis with Altered Beast. Got the Sega Master System convertor free.

Super Nintendo with Super Mario World and free Super Mario All-Stars if you sent in a rebate form.

Used Turbografx-16 from a flea-market. I remember EB was discounting some games one time and they had Splatterhouse for $10. I waited like a day, went back in and they had packed them all up and sent them back! I later found the game used at the same flea market mentioned above for $10.

Sega CD with Sewer Shark.

Sega 32x. (I felt ripped-off on that one, because I had believed that you could play Sega Saturn games with it and the Sega CD.)

Skipped Sega Saturn, got it last year at a flea market for like $5 to $10 along with a few games. Controllers partly work due to corrosion.

Atari Jaguar. I believe this was bought used, I actually forget how I got it. (I hate getting old.) :confused:

Original Gameboy with Tetris I believe.

Skipped Turbo Express, Sega Game Gear. (Picked up some GG games at a $1 store awhile back though.)

Bought a Playstation a year after it released after seeing a friend's friend who had the first Resident Evil game. I thought that was the $hit back in 1996!

Bought a Dreamcast, first time playing online with a console using Unreal.

Bought a Nintendo 64, Gameboy Advance, Playstation 2, Game Cube.

Got a X-Box for FREE when I signed up to MSN Internet Service for a year at $24.95 a month at Best Buy a few years ago.

Probably missed one or two there, plan on getting a X-Box 360 maybe to get Dead Rising, Gears of War, etc. I heard about Meijers having like a 10% Monday sale sometime and you can like 10% off when you get a Meijer card, basically some sort of percentages off to get $100 off of the $399 model or whatever.

I thought Nintendo's Revolution sounded great, until I saw the games that look just like the Game Cube! The name change blows, Wii?!! And the game downloads seemed great until they said how much they would cost. $19.99 for a N64 game download and $3.99 for a NES game?! WTF?!! I can download and play them for free off the net if I want to get naughty.

I thought about a Nintendo DS and PSP. If I was rich and single, then maybe. The thing about the PSP is that the UMD movies are being pulled from shelves because they aren't selling. Well no $hit, when you charge $24.95 and up for a movie on UMD that you can buy for $14.95 to $19.95 on DVD and with extras to boot. Portable movies? Anyone hear of a laptop?

Sony should have given an UMD disc free with the DVD version of the movie to get more people to buy the PSP or lower their price to $9.95 a pop. But when greed motivates you, you try to squeeze as much as possible out of people's wallets. Then they wonder why no one bites. There has been greed and stupid decisions in video games for years. Nintendo's decision to drop the SNES CD add-on, causing Sony to develop it into the first Playstation. Nintendo's decision to continue using high priced cartridges and not CDs or DVDs later. Sega doing what they did to ruin the Dreamcast and others before.

I have been in the process for the last year or so in developing an old school game site that I hope to archive every game for every home console that came out in the U.S. (It has gone through numerous versions to get it right and I will probably have a sample page of all of my earlier ideas. This site is still not online yet.) That includes all mentioned above with the exception of newer systems still available for sale such as the X-Box. (It would be added once support ceased and no more games were made and marketed.)

I may even include some older computers such as the Amiga, Commodore, and Apple. It would be near impossible to do PC unless it was by year and decade! Even the older systems have hundreds upon hundreds of games made for them!

Initially, the games will just have the standard box art and screenshots. Over time I or people who submit, will take a game or series of games and add more info on it, including FAQs, manuals, codes, passwords, bosses, maps, etc.

I would like it to be the one-stop place on the net for old school gamers to get info on their favorite old games. (I hate having to google for info on a particular game and go to half a dozen sites to get that info.)

If anyone would like to help, let me know.

:dead: Dawg

MinionZombie
23-Jun-2006, 10:18 PM
I've still got my Sega Megadrive (Genesis) in my cupboard and the games I had for it, haven't played it in quite a long time though, but I'm not about to get rid of it. One of these days I'm going to get old school and have a session on it, that's the only old school console I've got. I've still got my PC games from back in the day, like the original Worms, Outlaws, Carmageddon, Redneck Rampage, Quake, Destruction Derby, all that shizzle peeps, back when games used to come in a CD case in a massive cardboard box. Worms for example, is in a big cardboard box and within that is the CD-ROM in one of those cardboard sleeves - that's it, ha!

LoSTBoY
23-Jun-2006, 10:46 PM
Ahhh, my sinclair. still my all time favorite console/computer. I had a bin full of games for it. I would buy a new game each week for £2.99 which is about a fiver nowerdays. My biggest regret was swapping it along with my hundreds of games for a NES with 2 games. Phucking robbed. :(

I had Heroquest the game for it, which I wish I can find and play nowerdays.

*sniff* Trapdoor the game. How I miss it so....*sniff*

tju1973
25-Jun-2006, 03:41 AM
I am 33, and I have seen and enjoyed all the classics..

Just remember that the best..BEST console of all time is the little white Sega Dreamcast...

well that and the NES.

oh and the Intelliviion..

and the Atari 5200..

and the Emerson Arcadia..

and..

nevermind, I sound like a fanboy..

:)

MapMan
26-Jun-2006, 01:01 PM
I had a console game back in 76-77. My parents got it at either Western Auto or Otasco. It was as big as a all in one fax/printer combo. It had two games, pong and a shooting game. I can't remember the name of it though.

Kaos
26-Jun-2006, 09:38 PM
The systems I have owned:

Pong
Atari 2600
Atari 800 (yeah it's a computer, but Atari made a console based on this computer)
Gameboy (the original)
Sega Genesis
Nintendo 64
and now the XBOX.

I skipped the Nintendo and SNES due to college primarily. If I had bought those systems I would have never graduated!