PDA

View Full Version : The Descent

Neil
10-May-2011, 09:53 AM
Caught a bit of this on TV the other night, and it reminded me what a very enjoyable flick it was!

When I originally watched it, I actually screamed out like a girl at the 'camcorder scene' :o

MinionZombie
10-May-2011, 10:50 AM
Caught a bit of this on TV the other night, and it reminded me what a very enjoyable flick it was!

When I originally watched it, I actually screamed out like a girl at the 'camcorder scene' :o

I got this on DVD for Xmas in 2005, and I watched it with my Dad, who doesn't really do horror movies, so that was a fun time. :D

I actually originally watched it on a knock-off copy online, one of those useless CAM jobbies, in the middle of a sunny afternoon, and it still freaked me out. :lol:

Oh, and this just sprung to mind, but my high school 3D Art (pottery, sculpture) teacher worked on the flick as one of the sculptors who put together the cave networks. :cool:

Neil
10-May-2011, 11:44 AM
Anyone seen the second one?

Tricky
10-May-2011, 11:51 AM
I havent seen the sequel, but the first is a great film, I saw it at the cinema when it first came out so had the added bonus of booming speakers & a huge screen :cool:

MinionZombie
10-May-2011, 04:05 PM
Anyone seen the second one?

Yes, a few months ago on Sky Movies.

http://deadshed.blogspot.com/2011/01/hextuple-bill-mini-musings-december.html

The Descent: Part 2:
Neil Marshall's spelunking 'chicks with picks' claustrophobic nerve shredder was a truly wonderful piece of pin-sharp scare mongering, but annoyingly for the American release it had to have an 'up' ending (relatively speaking) ... or, rather than 'up', an ending capable of providing a sequel.

So here we are with a second part that brings in a bunch of American spelunkers, including one beligerant bastard of a Sheriff, and off we go again as the sole survivor of the first quietly goes along with the plan to head back down into the caves.

There are a few moments of nice scene setting, but there's no mystery here. The first had mystery, and it had build-up (lots of it), and most importantly it was nail-bitingly claustrophobic and provided a handful of proper scares. Sadly, yet entirely predictably, this unnecessary sequel can't beat Marshall's superior original, which should have always been a stand-alone affair.

I saw it at the cinema when it first came out so had the added bonus of booming speakers & a huge screen :cool:

That would have shat me right up!

Tricky
10-May-2011, 04:23 PM
That would have shat me right up!

My girlfriend at the time jumped out of her skin at the first scene with the car crash, and that was before they'd even got near the caves & "things" :p she was a nervous wreck by the end! It had me jumpy as well, something few horrors ever manage to do! We went to see "Wolf Creek" around the same time too, that was another good film I thought